Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 22:54   #76
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
zoomed up the ramp, flew right over the bed and landed straight into the rear glass of the cab!
just like the Bond movies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
You may want to consider 2 a/c units
Would prefer to avoid that and have one off the truck that can cool the camper too. Also keep in mind the truck gets used more than the camper through the year. The a/c on the camper would get rusty !
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:40   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
just like the Bond movies

Would prefer to avoid that and have one off the truck that can cool the camper too. Also keep in mind the truck gets used more than the camper through the year. The a/c on the camper would get rusty !
Wow! saw this thread yesterday and I am quite amazed at the work. Great work! keep the tempo high.

So whats the current progress on the camper. The same kind of campers are built by overlander i think on the tata 207.
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:43   #78
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
So whats the current progress on the camper
I need to install insulation and complete the inner skin. Overlander does not make removeable campers from what I understand, also I am doing this at a fraction of what they charge
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:47   #79
BHPian

If DIY is an option for the HVAC system as well , how bout a "distributor" for the AC ducts ? . You get to keep one compressor yet have the option of channeling the cooling to either cabin.

I'm sure a " T " type of gating should be feasible . A Roofmount assembly from existing vehicles should help in the task .
Old 22nd April 2010, 11:48   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I need to install insulation and complete the inner skin. Overlander does not make removeable campers from what I understand, also I am doing this at a fraction of what they charge
Great. I read somewhere back that you are going to use foam that is used by refrigeration trucks. So has this been sourced. pics of the progress would be great.

1 question. before the insulation are you going to complete the water tank?

Yeah! overlander campers are non-detachable.
Old 22nd April 2010, 12:02   #81
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Great. I read somewhere back that you are going to use foam that is used by refrigeration trucks. So has this been sourced. pics of the progress would be great.

1 question. before the insulation are you going to complete the water tank?

Yeah! overlander campers are non-detachable.
Yes I plan on using polyurethane foam which is freely available. I still have a small problem that I need to address. The seams where the outer aluminium sheets meet need to be either welded or sealed together in a manner that inhibits water seepage. Aluminium welding is not easy so I need to consult an expert on how to have it welded. If not then I need to rivet a strip at the seam and seal with silicone before installing the PU panels.

The camper water tank for flush can go in much later. The main tank will be under the truck
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:46   #82
BHPian

Quote:
If not then I need to rivet a strip at the seam and seal with silicone before installing the PU panels.
My 2 cents,

In my opinion, there needs to be rubber layer/strip of insulation in betwen the rivet bearing strip and the original joint to avoid seepage. Rubber from used vehicle tubes can be used as they can withstand heavy temperatures and they have very high levels of elasticity.

I have a question, Aluminium is a great conductor of heat, how have you planned to insulate the interiors? would like to know more on this.

correct me if i am wrong..
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:56   #83
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay2233 View Post
there needs to be rubber layer/strip of insulation in betwen the rivet bearing strip and the original joint to avoid seepage. Rubber from used vehicle tubes can be used as they can withstand heavy temperatures and they have very high levels of elasticity.
Good idea, can use that

Quote:
I have a question, Aluminium is a great conductor of heat, how have you planned to insulate the interiors? would like to know more on this
Plan on using polyurethane foam, roughly about 1.5 inches in thickness. I feel that should reasonably insulate from the heat. The recommendation for PUF thickness in refrigeration trucks is 100 mm. I will have about 40 mm which I feel should be okay for human comfort

Last edited by DKG : 22nd April 2010 at 17:02.
Old 22nd April 2010, 17:10   #84
BHPian

PUF is great option.... only now did i happen to go thru the old posts, think it was a redundant question by me....

Coir could also be used... may be the thickness for insulation can be reduced as Coir is dense , but it has its own drawbacks of being heavy and also absorbs moisture... In which ever spot there is a space constraint, Coir can be used.

we have put a layer of coir in our terrace to avoid summer heat.
Old 23rd April 2010, 07:09   #85
Senior - BHPian

But keeping the engine idling all night in the middle of a forest for the AC doesn't sound like a good idea.
Old 23rd April 2010, 09:41   #86
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
But keeping the engine idling all night in the middle of a forest for the AC doesn't sound like a good idea.
Most trips would be during the monsoon and cooler months so a/c really is not a big issue. Its more for highway travelling that one may want to have one for comfort.
Old 23rd April 2010, 15:05   #87
BHPian

Amazing daring DKG. Kudos to your project. I would like to add following:
1) Design the legs like a spider(w shape). This would give you enough stability in case of uneven roads. look at the borewell digging machines legs.
2) Keep the height low, as higher the head, center of gravity to throw the body out and pull up the truck from the road.
3) Ensure that head of the camper (above a drivers cabin) has a sheet sort of something that aids air dynamics else wind would play a spoil sport.
4) Keep inflatable furniture inside to reduce weight(I saw many on sony TV ate night adverts).
5) Use vinyle sheets to cover the body of the camper so that u can enjoy rainy areas as well.
6) Have a look at the link below. These guys might help:
Caravans; Camper Vans & SUV / MUV Campers Caravan IN;41826 products
Old 23rd April 2010, 16:54   #88
BHPian

Amazing DIY idea DKG. I am all hooked to your project.

Do you have rough sketches as to how to plan to occupy the interiors of the camper.
Old 23rd April 2010, 17:37   #89
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Ensure that head of the camper (above a drivers cabin) has a sheet sort of something that aids air dynamics else wind would play a spoil sport.
The front of the cab over will have an acrylic sheet and has an incline. I have intentionally not focused on aerodynamics in the interests of interior comfort

Quote:
Keep inflatable furniture inside to reduce weight(I saw many on sony TV ate night adverts).
Very interesting, never thought of that !!

Quote:
Use vinyle sheets to cover the body of the camper so that u can enjoy rainy areas as well.
That's a great suggestion. You just may have solved my headache of ensuring there's no water seepage. So many commercial trucks have laminated vinyl sides with adverts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadf00t View Post
Do you have rough sketches as to how to plan to occupy the interiors of the camper.
Will try to put some up. Basically two 6 feet adults can sleep comfortably on the cabover bed. An additional two people can sleep on a bed that converts to a 4 or 6 seater depending on how you configure it. You can have a dining/work table in between.

I want to package the kitchen and toilet in such a way that I have cargo space available to carry either luggage or a bike.

Now that I am close to finishing the interiors I will have to finalise and make the toilet and kitchen arrangement

Last edited by DKG : 23rd April 2010 at 17:47.
Old 23rd April 2010, 21:55   #90
BHPian

HI DKG,
Few more:
1) Make the roof retractable--means when camper is moving you can have lever to bring the height of the camper down. It is like the ones you see retractable fancy shades in some shops(that have X type levers) where depending on sunlight the shopkeeper retracts / expands his shade. This would solve your dynamics problem and total area can be gained more when camper is stationary.
2) ensure that the roof of the camper is a flat surface so that you can use it as a base of those portable tents in case you go to area where you cannot camp on ground.
3) Get in touch with AC fabrication companies in your area. They can solve your insulation / heat problem.
4) search net for images interiors of the cabin. Google baba can be of great help in giving ideas.
5) look for birla-yamaha silent generators that run on kerosene. They can solve your electricity problems for sometime in outdoors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks