Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 00:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps

Guess the most used and most popular of all automotive headlamps, atleast from what I have seen,would be the Philips Rally !

I think Philips Rally comes in various wattage and models (H2/H4 etc). I also suspect that there are also fake ones in the market due to the popularity of this headlamp.

I was sure I was using Bosch 100/90 for m Safari and I felt they weren't doing the job well these days. I thought I will try out a Philips Rally 100/90 and hence bought one for 150Rs ( the one in while cover). I did a DIY and found I couldnt fix it! I also found that I was using a 60/55W Philips! which of course was the culprit of weak illumination. I also found that the one I had as spare was a 110/100 Philips Rally ( I carry spare bulb in dash).

Now, I have these

1) one I bought from the shop last day for Rs.150 - comes in white cover (its a 100/90)
2) the one I took from the RHS headlamp, a 60/50 Philips.
3) The orange cover one which says I should have bought a 100/90 Philips Rally sometime back.

Now hope someone will clear my confusion. I am attaching few pix which show how good my RHS light is now (it's a 110/100 Philips Rally;says the bulb)

Just FOG (Bosch H3 55W)
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1240-large.jpg

FOG + LOW ( LHS 60/55 & RHS 110/100)
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1241-large.jpg

FOG + HIGH ( LHS 60/55 & RHS 110/100)
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1242-large.jpg

Closer shots

FOG
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1243-large.jpg

FOG + LOW ( LHS 60/55 & RHS 110/100)
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1244-large.jpg

FOG + HIGH ( LHS 60/55 & RHS 110/100)
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1245-large.jpg

Just HIGH
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1246-large.jpg

Just LOW
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1247-large.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1248-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1249-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1250-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1251-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1252-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1253-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1254-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1257-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1258-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1259-large.jpg  

Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps-dsc_1260-large.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 13th December 2010 at 00:17.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2010, 08:25   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Philips Rally Bulbs Headlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I did a DIY and found I couldnt fix it! I also found that I was using a 60/55W Philips!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...251-large-.jpg

The bulb on the left is a H4 P45T base, and the bulb on the right is H4 P43T base bulb. All new H4 headlamps are designed to take the P43T base bulbs, that is why you couldn't fit the other bulb. P45T was evolved from the older non-halogen bulb era.

The orange box is hard to get now, those were genuine bulbs, now it comes in white box and as you said fakes are aplenty. Direct import Rally bulbs still comes in orange box/blister pack of similar design.

Edit: Talking about fakes, i have one fake 100/130 Philips bulb and a pair of original 100/130 Philips, the difference is in the base.

Last edited by Sankar : 13th December 2010 at 08:33.
Sankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2011, 23:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
======
Edit: Talking about fakes, i have one fake 100/130 Philips bulb and a pair of original 100/130 Philips, the difference is in the base.
Hi Sankar: I have put Philips Rally 100/130 (white box packing); if you could send pictures of the fake & original (packing/bulb). thanks.

Pranav
Old 20th September 2011, 21:29   #4
BHPian

I just got my head lamp light bulbs replaced with a pair of Philips Rallye 130/100 and they set me back by Rs.500/- (Rs.250/- each) from a retail outlet. I guess the wholesale price would be lower. I have yet to try them out at night, but will get to test them later this week. Apart from a blown fuse which was replaced, they work with my current relay and holder setup.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:42   #5
BHPian

Hi
Am planning to put a 130/100 philips rally on my swift .I already have a relay should i put in an additional relay pl help . my mech tells me there is no issue once i fit the additional relay
any good genuine shops in Chennai for procuring the bulb is welcome warmly.
Cheers
Prasad
PS: nitin how is your light donig now and what is your drive
Old 3rd October 2011, 18:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Do you seriously need to go to 130/100 ??
Old 3rd October 2011, 19:08   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Apart from a blown fuse which was replaced, they work with my current relay and holder setup.
Please also upgrade the holders to ceramic ones. Your stock holders which are made of plastic will melt due to the high amount of heat produced by these bulbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
any good genuine shops in Chennai for procuring the bulb is welcome warmly.
You can buy these bulbs from Mahaveer Auto on GP Road. Also buy a pair of ceramic holders for the bulbs. Mahaveer stocks these too. Speak to Mr. Santosh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Do you seriously need to go to 130/100 ??
Not really required. I used the 130/100 in my esteem for a few years but mostly on low beam. The only time i switched on the high beam was when i used to drive back home to Blore in the night. These bulbs, if genuine last quite long and are really bright. One should ensure the headlights are properly focused to avoid blinding oncoming drivers/riders.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Please also upgrade the holders to ceramic ones. Your stock holders which are made of plastic will melt due to the high amount of heat produced by these bulbs.

Not really required. I used the 130/100 in my esteem for a few years but mostly on low beam. The only time i switched on the high beam was when i used to drive back home to Blore in the night. These bulbs, if genuine last quite long and are really bright. One should ensure the headlights are properly focused to avoid blinding oncoming drivers/riders.
I've got ceramic holders from my previous setup... I started off with a Bosch relay, bakelite holders (replaced the OEM plastic ones after they melted due to a faulty relay) and some rather expensive bulbs that I can't recall but while the car was loaned out for a little under 2 years, it probably was in an accident and they had to get the relay, wiring, and bulbs all done over again and the (Delhi-made) 100/90W bulbs fitted didn't seem bright enough so I got them changed to 130/100W, which are VFM.

The focus of the head lamps is toward the road right ahead on low-beam and the problem is the lack of diffusion because the sides of the road aren't visible when driving on the 2-way roads with oncoming traffic. Perhaps that's just the way Esteem headlights are designed - they avoid blinding oncoming traffic and focus the beam right ahead (high-beam points the light beam directly at the car ahead which serves its purpose in bad weather). The Swift does it differently - its reflector has the light more diffused.

Quote:
Hi! Am planning to put a 130/100 philips rally on my swift .I already have a relay. Cheers, Prasad.
You should be able to use your existing relay for the 130/100W pair. Ceramic holders need to be added on to handle the heat.

I've got an Esteem Di 2004 and have really good visibility with the 'upgraded' bulbs. On empty highways, the high beam lights up the road all the way. However, the Esteem reflectors don't diffuse the light much on low beam so the sides of the road are hard to see with oncoming traffic.

PS: Sorry about the double-post; I can't seem to figure out how to quote when editing an existing post.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please use the "edit" button if posting within 30 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi! Am planning to put a 130/100 philips rally on my swift .I already have a relay. Cheers, Prasad.
You should be able to use your existing relay for the 130/100W pair. Ceramic holders need to be added on to handle the heat.

I've got an Esteem Di 2004 and have really good visibility with the 'upgraded' bulbs. On empty highways, the high beam lights up the road all the way. However, the Esteem reflectors don't diffuse the light much on low beam so the sides of the road are hard to see with oncoming traffic.

PS: Sorry about the double-post; I can't seem to figure out how to quote when editing an existing post.
Old 4th October 2011, 00:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I used to Run the 130/100 on my ZEN on normal Holders and they worked perfect and the ligting was off the hook
Old 4th October 2011, 11:29   #11
BHPian

Quote:

this line kinda confused me. are the ceramic holders separately available OR come attached to the relay kit itself ? I have a Minda kit.
Old 4th October 2011, 12:06   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
this line kinda confused me. are the ceramic holders separately available OR come attached to the relay kit itself ? I have a Minda kit.

You get the Minda & Roots Kit with ceramic holders only. Hence yours should be with a ceramic holder.
Old 10th October 2011, 20:20   #13
BHPian

Hi
just got the philips rally 130/100 installed and they are good so far. Is extreme vision available in the same output.
I see some cars with 100/90 giving good glares. any idea how or have they got the light aligned to aim the oncoming driver's eyes

cheers
Prasad
Old 10th October 2011, 20:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Seriously, 100/90 W is sufficient for highway drives. 130/100 is for those who have dulled headlight clusters and is used mostly by trucks.

130/100 is an overkill for any new car.
Old 20th October 2011, 16:32   #15
BHPian

Hi Folks

The 130/100 is doing good any idea on a good mech to help in getting the levelling or focussing job for the SWIFT is welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks