Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 22:08   #3526
BHPian

Re: Synthetic Oil for Fluidic Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I'd advise you to stick to a good quality mineral oil
Thanks Vikram. What you said makes complete sense. Which mineral oil would you suggest? Delvac MX?

My primary reason for shifting to synthetic is for the (supposedly) added smoothness and extra protection it offers. I won't extend the change intervals. I went the synthetic route on my lancer and while the engine appeared to have freed up in the revs department, it could purely be attributed to the overall service itself and not just the oil. So I'm not sure.

Thing is, I want the engine to be as smooth as it is now, for as long as possible. And if synthetic will help, then so be it.

But like you said, the savings will get me a tankful with money to spare!

Last edited by Tassem : 26th July 2012 at 22:21.
Old 26th July 2012, 22:36   #3527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Thanks Vikram. What you said makes complete sense. Which mineral oil would you suggest? Delvac MX?
Yes, if the mfgr recommendation is any oil meeting or exceeding SAE 15W40 API CI4 specs, then I'd definitely suggest Delvac MX. I've been using it in my Scorpio for the past 22k kms, and am very happy with it.

However, that's not to say that other oils having similar specs are inferior. A lot of folks on the forum have had good experiences with oils from Shell, Gulf, Elf/Total, Petronas etc too.

Take your pick!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 03:06   #3528
Senior - BHPian

Your desire is a common & valid one, which is probably shared by every auto-enthusiast. However, with modern day synthetics, the benefits are just a debatable topic since most of them (at least the ones commonly available in India) are simply highly refined petroleum base stocks & not "true" synthetics.

That's why, I would second the opinion/suggestion of BHPian "comfortablynumb" about using a mineral oil.

As for smoothness, I have seen enough taxis (right from Indicas to Innovas) running around on basic Servo or HP engine oils crossing lacs of kms without a fuss & they still run like a charm.

Just stick to manufacturer prescribed oil change intervals & you would be fine with any oil.

Also, think of it this way, does anyone ever think so much about the other fluids in the car like brake fluid, coolant etc? Probably not, but still these systems work great for really long life spans if basic care is taken & prescribed intervals are kept in mind.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

Thing is, I want the engine to be as smooth as it is now, for as long as possible. And if synthetic will help, then so be it.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2012, 15:03   #3529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I'd definitely suggest Delvac MX. I've been using it in my Scorpio for the past 22k kms, and am very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
The ones commonly available in India are simply highly refined petroleum base stocks & not "true" synthetics.
Thank you guys for the suggestions. I guess I'm going to stick to mineral oil. Unless somebody else comes up with a compelling argument.

Also, Like blackfire said, I did read someplace that these are not true synthetics. That's a damper!
Old 27th July 2012, 23:02   #3530
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I have a point to put forth, and would really like forum members' comments on it..

My requirement is slightly different from that of most members, which is proper running till the time comes to sell the car. My car is almost 9 years old, religiously maintained, and very well looked after, first by my dad and presently by me. Runs absolutely fine, used quite regularly.

However, there are no plans of selling this car. Literally. It is the first car we bought after coming to Goa, and it has a lot of emotional significance in the family. More specifically, to my mom and me. I know this may sound stupid and meaningless to many, but it has pretty much become an integral part of the family. In my mom's words, "Future generations of our family, my grandchildren, will proudly show it off as a classic that their grandfather bought when he first came to Goa!!"

What I am getting to is, my requirement is much more than smooth running or good maintenance over the next 5 years. My goal is, keeping the engine in top condition for years to come. Years.

So in this regard, is my use of synthetic oil justified? My running is about 10k a year, give or take a few hundred. Therefore, a yearly oil change is the ideal schedule for me.

Would like everyone's opinions/comments on this.
Old 28th July 2012, 01:19   #3531
Senior - BHPian

There is always a life-span associated with any piece of machinery, just that some things last a little longer & some a little less, primarily depending upon the way they had been put together.

So, to extract the most out of any machinery (such as your car in this case), I would still suggest regular oil changes with a regular oil. Even the basic Economics works in the favor of a regular engine oil; with the help of the price differential between a regular oil & a synthetic, you would save up enough for a rebuild when it is time for a rebuild.

Instead of 1 year, get the oil changed twice a year & with regular mineral oil. There are numerous UOA reports out there on the Internet wherein Synthetics have been repeatedly thrashed for not delivering on their loud promises, especially since most companies have started using petroleum basestocks for Synthetics as well. Some companies like Amsoil & Schaeffer make true synthetics & they would definitely have some benefits over the mineral oils, but they are damn expensive & not available in India.

By the way, which car are you talking about?

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
So in this regard, is my use of synthetic oil justified? My running is about 10k a year, give or take a few hundred. Therefore, a yearly oil change is the ideal schedule for me.

Would like everyone's opinions/comments on this.
blackfire_9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 02:59   #3532
Senior - BHPian

^^^I'd say thats waste of good oil and good money. If 10k, 1 year drain interval is recommended, one can be pretty sure the manufacturer has taken care to make sure the additives last for that long. If the car sees more bumper to bumber city driving, then it may be worthwhile to change the oil a couple thousand km earlier or so, depending on the magnitude of such driving. A 6 monthly change (double) seems like an overkill. Also, let me point out more concern - unless you have the means to exercise total control over the oil changing process, its more than likely that contaminants will get into the engine during the process. Our mechanics and service center are fairly shoddy. Chances are that damage caused by these contaminants is more than the benefits (if any) of changing the oil sooner than recommended.

As for comparing with Taxis, contrary to popular belief, the operating environment of a Taxi can actually be way less taxing than an average single owner/family owned car. That is because a Taxi is usually always on the run whereas other avg. pvt. cars are used intermittently and hence suffer way more damage as they are cold started most of the times. Taxis will mostly always be operating at near optimum operating temperatures most of the times and other pvt. cars wont (so more sludge, carbon, etc). So chances are the average taxi may get away with lower quality lubing but the avg. pvt. car wont. Also, do we have any data about engine rebuilds, of taxis and single owner cars that we can compare with? And I'm not sure you can say taxis run "like a charm"... at least I'v not found it to be so in some/many cases I'v cared to notice.

Last edited by Raccoon : 28th July 2012 at 03:02.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 07:09   #3533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
...By the way, which car are you talking about?

Drive safe.
It is an Alto VXi. And sorry, forgot to mention, the recommended oil change schedule is 6 months. Grade 20W40.
Old 28th July 2012, 10:30   #3534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a point to put forth, and would really like forum members' comments on it..

What I am getting to is, my requirement is much more than smooth running or good maintenance over the next 5 years. My goal is, keeping the engine in top condition for years to come. Years.

I agree with others - please don't waste your money on a synthetic. Since you do about 10K kms a year that would mean two engine oil changes @ every 5K kms. You must stick to mfr recommended intervals whether you use synthetic or mineral.

Remember that synthetics are "nice to have" not 'must have' for nearly all cars except high end marques where synthetic is mandatory.

I have always endorsed the view that regular changes of good quality mineral oil with a good filter is all that your car engine requires. For e.g. for the price of 1 synthetic oil change you can change your engine oil twice or thrice over with mineral. It is value for money.

I use synthetic but the oil change interval is 12 months which makes it a little more worthwhile, this is a conscious decision on my part and not the most sensible from a cost POV. Toyota recommends synthetic but gives an option during the oil change. 99.99% of all people go in for mineral.

Rule of the thumb - if you car mfr doesn't mandate synthetic, please use mineral. But make sure you change the oil every 6 months/5k kms. Use Shell Helix HX5 15w-40 it is really good mineral oil

Last edited by R2D2 : 28th July 2012 at 10:31.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2012, 15:50   #3535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is an Alto VXi. And sorry, forgot to mention, the recommended oil change schedule is 6 months. Grade 20W40.
How come? The recommended interval for my 2009 Alto LXi is 1 year / 10000 KM for the 20W40 MGO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Rule of the thumb - if you car mfr doesn't mandate synthetic, please use mineral. But make sure you change the oil every 6 months/5k kms. Use Shell Helix HX5 15w-40 it is really good mineral oil
I use this oil from the very first service. My running is 5000 - 6000 KM in a year, so I change the oil once every 12 months with very good results.

Last edited by Gansan : 28th July 2012 at 15:51.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:15   #3536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How come? The recommended interval for my 2009 Alto LXi is 1 year / 10000 KM for the 20W40 MGO.
I am sorry, that was a mistake. What I really meant to say is that the car has been on a 6 month change interval. The recommended interval is indeed 1 year/10k kms.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:17   #3537
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I use this oil from the very first service. My running is 5000 - 6000 KM in a year, so I change the oil once every 12 months with very good results.
+1 to this. I have stuck to the same oil (Shell Helix HX5 15W40) since the 30k kms service of my Alto.
Old 28th July 2012, 16:38   #3538
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
+1 to this. I have stuck to the same oil (Shell Helix HX5 15W40) since the 30k kms service of my Alto.
Quote:
My Dad's Palio 1.6 GTX has been using SH HX5 15w-40 since last year - pleased with the results. Noticeable difference in engine smoothness even over Castrol Magnatec. I'd recommended HX5 for any vehicle that can use this viscosity. I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car.
Old 28th July 2012, 18:28   #3539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
...I use Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car.
Which car is that? Is it your Alto?
Old 28th July 2012, 18:36   #3540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Which car is that? Is it your Alto?
No swarnava.m, it's a Corolla Altis.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks