Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 17:35   #3601
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
It has run almost 2lac now. I did have an issue with minor leaks 2 years before when I changed to semisynth -- but not sure if it was due to the oil change or because they changed the seal (the one you can see when the top cover of the motor is removed).
I think you can safely start using synthetic now. Unless there are any leaks already, there shouldn't be any issues. However, as I said, don't
flush the engine unless there has been some dirt in it through previous oil.

Another option you may consider is getting a complete engine overhaul and then starting afresh with synthetic. This would be like a new life with better nutrition. This is because the engine has run 2 lac, and it is probably safe to assume that it is no longer in tip top condition? Or at least, not like new. Anyways, what car is this?

However, you might want to consider whether it will be worth the price switching to a synthetic now. Consider your average running and how much longer you wish to keep the car, and then evaluate whether it might be better to stick to mineral itself. Good mineral oils do a pretty fine job of protecting the engine anyways.
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:20   #3602
BHPian

Folks, I own an Alto K10 VXi with 4000 kms on the odo all set for its 2nd free service shortly. Going by some of the expert opinion on tbhp, I was planning to get the engine oil replaced at 5k, however some research on this thread prompted me to get more info in order to make an informed decision and below are some information/observations - please feel free to comment and share your experience

> A discussion with the Dealership (Leo Motors) service chap brought out the fact that the factory fill is 0W40 Mobil synthetic oil, apparently to help with the initial settling in (although this runs contrary to the advice on tbhp that mineral oil is better for running in the engine)

>Upon asking if an oil change at 5K is required, the answer was not required, but left to the individual's decision

>One can choose to replace the factory fill with synthetic (Shell, Mobil etc) but since 5W30 is what is prescribed, Leo replaces with Servo MGO

>No issues with replacing the synthetic factory fill with a blend (read Servo/Castrol MGO)

Considering the above, am now planning to stick to the prescribed schedule of oil change at 10k since
1) If the service chap is right and the K Series engine already has a synthetic fill, makes sense to let it run its course (also am unlikely to run 10k before the 1st yr of ownership runs out)
2) Am likely to go with the MGO and not synthetic since its a blend and not plain vanilla mineral and seems to be specially recommended for the K Series, not sure if a synthetic replacement would make a world of difference in the driving experience (also bearing in mind that synthetics are expensive)

Thoughts/opinion/additional information please
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:16   #3603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
It has run almost 2lac now. I did have an issue with minor leaks 2 years before when I changed to semisynth -- but not sure if it was due to the oil change or because they changed the seal (the one you can see when the top cover of the motor is removed).
Don't go for synthetics. Just do oil change at regular interval with a semi-synthetic oil like castrol magnatec.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:40   #3604
BHPian

Which engine oil for my swift petrol (non K series).36k on the ODO.
It does 9k a year max. Should i go for synthetic or stick to mineral?
If synthetic then which one? Specific.

Last edited by k2max6 : 9th November 2012 at 16:55.
Old 9th November 2012, 16:57   #3605
Senior - BHPian

^^9K KM per year is a good enough mileage to use synthetic oils. They still have to be changed at the 10K KM / 12 month mark, but you can wait for a month more and then change it. I would suggest Helix Ultra.
Old 9th November 2012, 21:52   #3606
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
Which engine oil for my swift petrol (non K series).36k on the ODO.
It does 9k a year max. Should i go for synthetic or stick to mineral?
If synthetic then which one? Specific.
if you want you can try synthetic, but a good quality mineral or semi-synthetic is much more economical and most people wont even be able to tell the difference.
any of the major brands will be okay, just make sure you have a genuine can of oil and the correct SAE viscocity which would be like 10W30 or 10W40.
Old 10th November 2012, 09:45   #3607
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^9K KM per year is a good enough mileage to use synthetic oils. They still have to be changed at the 10K KM / 12 month mark, but you can wait for a month more and then change it. I would suggest Helix Ultra.
Sorry, I disagree. I use synth in my Civic since the original fill was synth. All mycars have run on semi's with no issues. At 10k pa you are well within the limits of any oil API-SF or higher.
Old 11th November 2012, 08:50   #3608
Senior - BHPian

^^ Sir, the car in question is an old Swift, for which the oil change interval is 10k KM / one year, whatever the oil. What I meant was, since the OP does near about the required mileage, his change to synth will at least not be a waste of expensive oil, unlike someone who does half the distance and has to throw the oil out anyway!
Old 11th November 2012, 11:50   #3609
BANNED

Nothing stops you from doing 12 months/10000km with any half decent oil with full safety. forget the dealerships, or what they say.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 12:48   #3610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Nothing stops you from doing 12 months/10000km with any half decent oil with full safety. forget the dealerships, or what they say.
So as per you synthetic oil isn't recommended ?
It doesn't make any difference or it is not worth?
Old 11th November 2012, 16:46   #3611
BANNED

Quote:
So as per you synthetic oil isn't recommended ?
It doesn't make any difference or it is not worth?
As I have stated a full synthetic is by no means value for money! Excellent but not worth it, unless you are a high mileage (>15000pa) motorist, when you can stretch the oil change.
Old 11th November 2012, 17:04   #3612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk

As I have stated a full synthetic is by no means value for money! Excellent but not worth it, unless you are a high mileage (>15000pa) motorist, when you can stretch the oil change.
I think i'll go with semi-synthetic for this time.
Which one do you recommend?
Old 12th November 2012, 02:40   #3613
Senior - BHPian

^^^Shell, Total, Petronas, etc., all make good oils. Decide based on price and API rating and availability of desired viscosity. Can't recall names of the variants. You could just check them out in a shop; or Sgiitk or somebody else might eventually give a better answer. Would suggest considering Castrol last, as its usually overpriced and overhyped.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:40   #3614
Senior - BHPian

Total makes some really good oils that are also easy on the pocket. You could pick up Total Quartz 7000 10W40, should serve you well.

Quote:
I think i'll go with semi-synthetic for this time.
Which one do you recommend?
Old 12th November 2012, 15:09   #3615
BANNED

@k2max6; All oil listed by members are good, I prefer the Castrol Magnatec. There are two grades now one going to SAE30 (now more common) and one to SAE40 (needed for older engines).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks