BANNED

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

SHELL MARINE LABORATORY
RAPID LUBRICANTS ANALYSIS
A-77,ROAD NO.16
WAGLE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE
THANE-400604
TEL 00912261517838

Thats where the lubes of my ship are tested. I wont be back for about 2 months now.
So any one interested can check if they can analyse cars engine oil.
Old 10th March 2013, 13:39   #3707
Senior - BHPian

I picked up a can of Shell Helix HX-7 (API SM, 10W 40) oil while filling petrol at Shell pump today. Costs Rs 1325.00 for 3.5 litres, as against the Rs 1065.00 for 4 litres (HX-5) which I normally use for the Alto. Both prices are MRP and will be lesser if bought elsewhere, but I always stick to my Shell pump for reasons of trust.

The label on the can says "synthetic technology", which means semi synthetic I suppose! Price is only marginally higher than HX-5 so I thought I will give it a shot.

The oil change is still 3 months away, but I like to be prepared! The date of packing is Feb'13.
Old 11th March 2013, 11:48   #3708
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I picked up a can of Shell Helix HX-7 (API SM, 10W 40) oil while filling petrol at Shell pump today. Costs Rs 1325.00 for 3.5 litres, as against the Rs 1065.00 for 4 litres (HX-5) which I normally use for the Alto. Both prices are MRP and will be lesser if bought elsewhere, but I always stick to my Shell pump for reasons of trust.

The label on the can says "synthetic technology", which means semi synthetic I suppose! Price is only marginally higher than HX-5 so I thought I will give it a shot.

The oil change is still 3 months away, but I like to be prepared! The date of packing is Feb'13.
Good choice. That's not semi synthetic, its a mineral oil prepared to synthetic technology(whatever that means ), but quite a good one.
Old 11th March 2013, 13:08   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I am quite satisfied with this oil. But there is no use paying Rs.1325 at the bunk. I got it outside once at Rs.750 and once at Rs.900.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:15   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both prices are MRP and will be lesser if bought elsewhere, but I always stick to my Shell pump for reasons of trust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I am quite satisfied with this oil. But there is no use paying Rs.1325 at the bunk. I got it outside once at Rs.750 and once at Rs.900.
I am sure you have a reliable source for the oil! Because I heard from a very reliable source there are now fakes for Shell oils too!

My oil change is only once every 12 months, so I don't mind paying a few hundreds more for peace of mind!
Old 11th March 2013, 23:42   #3711
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure you have a reliable source for the oil! Because I heard from a very reliable source there are now fakes for Shell oils too!

My oil change is only once every 12 months, so I don't mind paying a few hundreds more for peace of mind!
I buy it from distributor. They always sell in a scheme. Down the line shopkeepers charge it more.

Castrol has the lest margin , shell has a lot of margin. Shell synthetics have insane margin.

The distributor wont cheat me as he is my childhood classmate
Old 12th March 2013, 09:04   #3712
BHPian

Has anybody used this oil from Gulf? It's 20W50, and API-SM. The FNG that I have started going to since last service uses this for Maruti vehicles, and I am contemplating whether to go for this in my Alto at the next oil change.

Any feedback regarding this oil would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 21:42   #3713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
I buy it from distributor. They always sell in a scheme. Down the line shopkeepers charge it more.

Castrol has the lest margin , shell has a lot of margin. Shell synthetics have insane margin.
True. I got a discount of Rs.900 on Shell Synthetic. Was the product genuine? I sure hope so though there's no way of telling. Its been 3000 kms only since the oil change.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:14   #3714
BHPian

My Alto is due for its 5th service in the first week of April. I have planned to get the engine oil switched over to Mobil Super XHP 10W40 Mineral oil and have been quoted Rs.1250 for a four litre bottle. Could you please let me know your suggestions on any other better Mineral oil that I could go for or would the Mobil itself be a good choice for the oil change.

I would be happy to hear from Alto Guru's on their choice of Engine Oil for their machines that brings a Smile on their face whenever they Rev the little beauty.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:24   #3715
BANNED

@Arving6488; Looks fine. Just check it is API-SM. I hope these are still around in minerals. APi-SL should be the absolute minimum. You will not get SN in a mineral.
Old 22nd March 2013, 16:29   #3716
BHPian

Thank you sir. Could you please help me understand what these API-SM or SL stand for? Should I look for these terms to be present in the Label of the Mobil Can that I get from the Dealer?
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:51   #3717
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
Thank you sir. Could you please help me understand what these API-SM or SL stand for? Should I look for these terms to be present in the Label of the Mobil Can that I get from the Dealer?
API-S? is the oil classification. TAPI has declared all grades below SJ as obsolete. So the valid ones are SJ, SL,SM and SN. Any grade will safely replace the lower one.

Yes, the API rating is on the can / bottle.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 12:22   #3718
BHPian

I was told that it is better to go for company recommended mineral oil than any kind of synthetic oil.
Its more expensive and for that money I can change the mineral oil twice.
I understand viscosity counts a lot in reducing friction but for a engine which has run enough where is a question of high friction?
So changing into higher grade oil after break in is as good as not doing IMHO, because whatever healthy friction has happened and the engine is set for action, further friction can very much be handled by a mineral oil.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Heating of the engine is the next thing, Is there any impact and effect because of using different oils?

And this concept of synthetic oil clinging to metal and guarding the engine parts is again not different from any other oil. once soaked in any oil its to difficult to get a layer coated off.

So is there some real advantage on using synthetic or semi synthetic oil? I have my doubts. Unless someone prove it with some serious testing and later stripping the engine to show the difference.

Last edited by Visaster : 23rd March 2013 at 12:24.
Old 23rd March 2013, 13:46   #3719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I
Heating of the engine is the next thing, Is there any impact and effect because of using different oils?

And this concept of synthetic oil clinging to metal and guarding the engine parts is again not different from any other oil. once soaked in any oil its to difficult to get a layer coated off.

So is there some real advantage on using synthetic or semi synthetic oil? I have my doubts. Unless someone prove it with some serious testing and later stripping the engine to show the difference.
Visaster, here is a good article on advantages of synthetic oil in automobiles. It is a bit verbose and temperatures are in Fahrenheit but it is a good read and gives a great insight into the functioning of oils in engines. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/
Old 24th March 2013, 00:32   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
API-S? is the oil classification. TAPI has declared all grades below SJ as obsolete. So the valid ones are SJ, SL,SM and SN. Any grade will safely replace the lower one.

Yes, the API rating is on the can / bottle.
Hi Arvind6488, that particular oil meets/exceeds SJ and SL specifications and as sgiitk said, all grades from SJ and above are currently valid. So go forth and get yourself that oil

Most Viewed