Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 22:39   #3751
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Sankar, I just checked on a can of Motul lying with me & the sticker is exactly same as yours......am posting the pic here for your reference (just in case).....

Does your Swift or your friend's Esteem usually see short trips, within the city only? If yes, maybe the thinner oil (even if it isn't that big a difference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Hi Guys, i bought this oil from a well reputed oil shop in Tvm, i have bought other mineral and synthetic oils from them in the past and have had no complaints. This shop is frequented by other bhpians too and have not heard anything bad about the shop from them either. I don't think they sell spurious oils and moreover Motul isn't a fast moving brand like castrol and may not be a favourite of the fake industry.

Blackfire, Yes the sluggishness in the Esteem is being compared with Mobil1 which got replaced with Motul. Before Mobil1 the Esteem was running on Helix Ultra. The viscosity part you have mentioned is also correct, comparing the data sheet of Mobil1 0W40 and HTech Prime 5W40 the latter is slightly more viscous but only marginally. I didn't get the spec sheet of Helix Ultra.
Old 12th May 2013, 23:28   #3752
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello everyone,
I am currently running my dio on Shell Advance AX7 semi synthetic oil. It has run 2k kms, with the last change at 1k kms.and I wish to voluntarily change oil now to fully synthetic. Shell website recommends Advance ultra fully synthetic oil of 10W40 grade. Currently running same grade oil whereas Honda recommends 10W30. Will this have any effects in the Longrun?

Last edited by audioholic : 12th May 2013 at 23:30.
Old 13th May 2013, 00:02   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Hello everyone,
I am currently running my dio on Shell Advance AX7 semi synthetic oil. It has run 2k kms, with the last change at 1k kms.and I wish to voluntarily change oil now to fully synthetic. Shell website recommends Advance ultra fully synthetic oil of 10W40 grade. Currently running same grade oil whereas Honda recommends 10W30. Will this have any effects in the Longrun?
I don't think so. 10W40 is a safe upgrade for 10W30 recommendation. As long as the grade is correct, you can't go wrong with a Shell oil.
Old 13th May 2013, 00:16   #3754
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Ax7 is SL and Advance Ultra is said to exceed or match SM specifications by API. These are better than what Honda specifies. Also the Honda ASC uses some Honda branded oil which I think is manufactured by savior or so. My scoot is already running better with shell compared to a friends' on Honda oil. So I am looking forward to synthetic. Moreover, the cost difference is also not much.
Old 13th May 2013, 08:36   #3755
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Sankar, I just checked on a can of Motul lying with me & the sticker is exactly same as yours......am posting the pic here for your reference (just in case).....

Does your Swift or your friend's Esteem usually see short trips, within the city only? If yes, maybe the thinner oil (even if it isn't that big a difference)
Yes, there's very little chance that they sell fake oils at this shop. You mentioned pics but then I guess you forgot to attach it

My daily office trips are quite short, Esteem does a longer trip daily. But things didn't improve with longer highway trips either where the engine lost its sense of urgency to spin up and sprint.
Old 15th May 2013, 22:59   #3756
BHPian

I had been running Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 Fully Synthetic oil in my Esteem for the last 4000kms and I was very happy with the performance. Recently I took the car to Bimal M.A.S.S, Bangalore for some body work and the mechanic noticed an oil leak. He replaced the oil filter and topped up the oil; and here is the problem. He filled 800ml of Castrol 15W40(he is not sure of the grade) mineral oil. He did not bill me anything for the top up(he had some oil stocked away) or the oil filter change(the over-tightened oil filter was incidentally the cause of the leak) but I am worried about the possible consequences of mixing mineral oil and synthetic oil of two different viscosity grades. Also I am worried because I do not know from where he got hold of this mineral oil since he did not bill me for it; wonder whether its fresh oil or not. Somebody please advise me on what would be the best thing to do. i do perceive a very slight difference in the engine refinement.
Old 16th May 2013, 09:30   #3757
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Blacktop; Not really the ideal situation, but I will not lose much sleep over it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 10:48   #3758
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

@Blacktop, this is frequently done. I have had to do it few times with my Laura which uses Synthetic oil by default and when the oil level was low on few occasions I have toped it up the closest available Natural Oil based on the telephonic advice of the ASS. The esteem is anyways filled by most people with Natural Oil itself. Mixing should not be an issue. I guess your oil change next service should be due in another 1000 kms anyways.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 13:42   #3759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Blacktop; Not really the ideal situation, but I will not lose much sleep over it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
@Blacktop, this is frequently done. I have had to do it few times with my Laura which uses Synthetic oil by default and when the oil level was low on few occasions I have toped it up the closest available Natural Oil based on the telephonic advice of the ASS. The esteem is anyways filled by most people with Natural Oil itself. Mixing should not be an issue. I guess your oil change next service should be due in another 1000 kms anyways.
Thank you very much SGIITK and ACM. I have a 2005 MPFI esteem and the manual recommends 10,000km oil change intervals and I had no plans of changing synth oil before 10000km. All the same, will hope for the best and continue driving.
Old 16th May 2013, 22:37   #3760
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally switched to full synth on my Dio. The result is quite good, and for a two wheeler, I feel synthetic makes more sense as engine is subject to higher temperatures, higher speeds(for a non geared scoot) and hence synthetic will be better performing in these conditions too.

Also I noticed that before changing to synthetic, the engine would not be smooth early in the mornings, which has disappeared now. The engine remains as smooth as in the end of the day, early in the morning.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:00   #3761
BHPian

My Honda City (ANHC) has now clocked about 11.5k and i'm now thinking of making the switch to synthetic oil.

Which grade of Mobil 1 is suggested? And any contacts in Bangalore where i can procure it, at a better price?

And has anyone done an engine flush and changed their oil at Whitefield Honda? Do they have any issues with warranty if i procure it myself and request them to change?

Thanks.

Last edited by kap04 : 17th May 2013 at 16:03.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:31   #3762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Thanks. Ax7 is SL and Advance Ultra is said to exceed or match SM specifications by API. These are better than what Honda specifies. Also the Honda ASC uses some Honda branded oil which I think is manufactured by savior or so. My scoot is already running better with shell compared to a friends' on Honda oil. So I am looking forward to synthetic. Moreover, the cost difference is also not much.
I have used shell Ultra in my cbz xtreme and it's a great oil but now I have shifted to Mobil 1 Racing 4T fully synthetic. In my opinion, this is the best motorcycle oil available in market today, even better than motul. It's an imported oil and costs Rs:800 for a liter . I was too impressed with the oil, that I bought 2 cans together. I strongly suggest you to use this oil as it's way better than shell advance fully synthetic though its availability is a problem. But here in Kerala, its available in big lube shops.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:39   #3763
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem in finding synthetic oil for two wheelers is because not many people use it. I had theoption of shell and castrol Power1. Hence chose this. 800 bucks a liter is quite okay with me so next time I will look out for it.
Old 18th May 2013, 15:58   #3764
Senior - BHPian

An engine flush is not required just for changing from mineral to synthetic oil, especially for an engine with only 11,500 kms under it's belt. As for the grade 5W40 is commonly used and universally available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
My Honda City (ANHC) has now clocked about 11.5k and i'm now thinking of making the switch to synthetic oil.

Which grade of Mobil 1 is suggested? And any contacts in Bangalore where i can procure it, at a better price?

And has anyone done an engine flush and changed their oil at Whitefield Honda? Do they have any issues with warranty if i procure it myself and request them to change?

Thanks.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 19:10   #3765
BHPian

Hey, we're planning on buying TVS Wego and I'm wondering whats the best synthetic oil to switch to after 1000 kms or so? What about the Castrol Activ Scooter Oil? Is it synthetic? And also which is the best shop to source the oil in Kochi?

Most Viewed