Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2013, 15:45   #3886
Senior - BHPian

I use synthetic on my Toyota Etios. The first difference I felt was that the vehicle became more free revving. But, it's not a substantial difference.

But on my petrol esteem, the difference was very evident when I switched from mineral to synthetic.
Cold starts were much easy, revving was a joy and the sound felt very refined. ( Mobil 1 )

Whether it's worth the money, I'm not too sure. But, if you plan to keep the vehicle for 10 - 15 years and want the engine to perform at its peak even during those later years, synthetics are recommended.

For me, I love the practicality and cheap cost of maintenance of the Etios, and plan to keep it for atleast 10 years.
Old 24th November 2013, 16:49   #3887
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Whether it's worth the money, I'm not too sure. But, if you plan to keep the vehicle for 10 - 15 years and want the engine to perform at its peak even during those later years, synthetics are recommended.
My Innova has done 1.2L kms and has always been on mineral oil. I am unable to justify the extra cost involved. Also on an average we keep our cars for 5-7 years or around 1L kms. I really doubt if it pays any dividends in that case.
But then again heart says shift to synthetic for the Altis atleast since its so highly recommended on the Forum.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 18:52   #3888
Distinguished - BHPian

A mineral, however good it may be, cannot match the smoothness and protection of a synthetic . The Delvac 1 in my i20 is 12,000 kms old and still the smoothness is evident. It still revvs smoothly and does not get as rough as a mineral @ higher RPM's. Whereas its sibling Delvac MX got the engine rough @ 5,000 kms. Its a pity that i have to change the engine oil even though there is much life left , to adhere to the manufacturers oil change recommendations. Besides the daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic would take a higher toll on the oil!

Ofcourse, when it comes to price point Delvac 1 is little over 3 times costlier than Delvac MX. Whether its worthy enough to pay the premium is entirely a personal choice. But for me, its worth it because of the consistent and long lasting protection it provides!

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 24th November 2013 at 18:53.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 19:20   #3889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
to adhere to the manufacturers oil change recommendations. Besides the daily commute in bumper to bumper traffic would take a higher toll on the oil!

Ofcourse, when it comes to price point Delvac 1 is little over 3 times costlier than Delvac MX. Whether its worthy enough to pay the premium is entirely a personal choice. But for me, its worth it because of the consistent and long lasting protection it provides!
If its not for the stupid manufacturing rules(dealers should earn money too), synthetic is way to go. Synthetics can go up to 15k miles (not km but miles) just keep on topping the oil during monthly inspection (wonder how many mortals do it?).

Audi's TFSi engine was the most oil hungry I have used. BMW and Porsche have medium appetite. But Japanese just are always on diet. However diets of engine does not matter for synth vs mineral. It is also not about how many horses have left the stable post thousands km are through. Synthetics keeps them happy (3.6Lacs km Qualis).

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2013, 19:38   #3890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
If its not for the stupid manufacturing rules(dealers should earn money too), synthetic is way to go. Synthetics can go up to 15k miles (not km but miles) just keep on topping the oil during monthly inspection (wonder how many mortals do it?).

Audi's TFSi engine was the most oil hungry I have used. BMW and Porsche have medium appetite. But Japanese just are always on diet. However diets of engine does not matter for synth vs mineral. It is also not about how many horses have left the stable post thousands km are through. Synthetics keeps them happy (3.6Lacs km Qualis).

Cheers!

Korean engines are also on diet.I had to top up just 200 ml of oil after 10,000 kms on Delvac1 That's all!

True the synthetics can last 15,000 miles(~25,000 kms) but the limiting point here is not the oil but the engine oil filter which would have reached the end of its like @ around 15,000 kms and its down right risky to drive with a filter which is not working at its potential. Besides the driving conditions in Bangalore are horrible. Average speed does not exceed 30 kmph during peak hours and wont cross 3rd gear most of the time. This puts extra wear and tear on the engine oil.I read somewhere(don't remember where) on how stop and go traffic puts a lot of shearing force on oil which reduces the life of oil. I don't know the exact terminology. If the running is mainly on highways then it is lot less stressful on the oil and can be easily stretched to 20,000 kms provided you change the oil filter mid way and top up the oil to keep it @ safe levels
Old 24th November 2013, 21:52   #3891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Korean engines are also on diet.I had to top up just 200 ml of oil after 10,000 kms on Delvac1 That's all!

If the running is mainly on highways then it is lot less stressful on the oil and can be easily stretched to 20,000 kms provided you change the oil filter mid way and top up the oil to keep it @ safe levels
I was speaking about engines from personal experience and have not experience Koreans for long.

As fir your second point, Yes if you really have a feel for the engine, synthetic do not turn out to be expensive.
Old 27th November 2013, 02:51   #3892
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys! So its time for oil change in my baby!

I'm looking at doing it myself.
I got the oil (Mobil1 0W-40), some washers for the oil sump nut
(also got a magnetized oil sump nut, to hold onto the metallic debris in the oil if any!)

But I cant find a good oil filter. Car part shops gave me a filter meant for Santro. But I looked it up and the one for i20/i10 is different.

Link to PDF containing Part no and prices of Purolator oil filters for different cars. - Link

Also, I'm looking specifically for Purolator PureOne filter or Purolator Synthetic Oil filters

As both have superior filtering capabilities and can be tightened by hand due to textured grip(DIY friendly)

Now, no shop seemed to have heard of these types of filters.

I also asked as to why was he giving me Santro's filter, when I have the i20! And he was like "its the same" LOL

Please can anyone guide me on where to acquire these filters from?

I want the absolute best for my engine and don't wanna compromise!
Old 28th November 2013, 11:27   #3893
Senior - BHPian

^Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated!
Old 28th November 2013, 15:21   #3894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
2. K-series uses semi-synth 5W30 as standard. Stick to it.
Thanks!

I think last time, I used either Shell or Mobil mineral oil with 5/10W40. I think the shopkeeper told me that 5W30 is only available in Servo at that time and when I saw the graph on my manual, it shoed that "30" grade is good only until 30 degC! I hadn't done my research then and went with it.

My car is still in the running-in period (~6500 kms only). Is is ok to go for semi-synthetic?

Is it ok to move to semi-synth now? I guess 5W30 is only available in Castrol Magnatec and Caltex. Which is the best brand oil for 5w30?

Also, for Zen 2005, is 15W40 a good oil to use?

Last edited by heysac : 28th November 2013 at 15:35.
Old 28th November 2013, 18:41   #3895
BHPian

I am leaning on GS Caltex 5W30 for my Swift K-Series which is run only ~6500 km. This is a fully synthetic oil for the price of a semi-synthetic MRP ~Rs 1430. It seems to be made in Korea but I hope the quality standards are the same as global Caltex products. Any suggestions?
Old 28th November 2013, 19:09   #3896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
^Any help regarding this will be greatly appreciated!
Is your car out of warranty period? If not, don't even think of it!
Old 28th November 2013, 19:21   #3897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Is your car out of warranty period? If not, don't even think of it!
Yea I think so!

She hasn't been to a service station since her 3rd free service as I learnt the hard way that, service guys cause more harm than good!

I service her myself and she'll be 4 years old tomorrow! So was planning a birthday oil change!

I have a trusted garage nearby, but I don't want greasy hands all over my car!
Also, I'm not able to find any good quality oil filters!
Old 28th November 2013, 22:32   #3898
Senior - BHPian

Take your own oil to your A.S.S., buy a filter from them and let them change the oil. That is what I do, right from first service.
Old 29th November 2013, 10:27   #3899
Distinguished - BHPian

I plan to try a fully synthetic oil for my Zen to experience the difference; if any. Right now, the car has always been on Castrol Magnatec. Which grade & oil you guys suggest to use in this particular engine?
Old 29th November 2013, 16:21   #3900
BHPian

I just got my Swift K-Series (2010, 6500 km only) serviced. I bought 3.5 l of GS Caltex 5W30 fully synthetic oil for ~Rs 1240 only! The link is below. Last year, the shopkeeper somehow got me to use 10W40 (most likely Mobil) oil and my car seemed to suffer from drag, low FE, hard starts in winters.

So, today when I drove after the oil change the car runs just like new again with very low vibration, good pickup and very smooth. I still need to rev it up in the days to come once all the fluids settle down well but I am feeling very good about it.

Link:
http://kixxlube.gscaltex.com/ENG/Pro...&mNum=0&sNum=0

Most Viewed