Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2013, 20:54   #3901
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I just got my Swift K-Series (2010, 6500 km only) serviced. I bought 3.5 l of GS Caltex 5W30 fully synthetic oil for ~Rs 1240 only! The link is below. Last year, the shopkeeper somehow got me to use 10W40 (most likely Mobil) oil and my car seemed to suffer from drag, low FE, hard starts in winters.

So, today when I drove after the oil change the car runs just like new again with very low vibration, good pickup and very smooth. I still need to rev it up in the days to come once all the fluids settle down well but I am feeling very good about it.
Congrats on the service done. Do you have that oil can with you? Rs.1240 for 3.5L is suspicious to me. For my car the synthetic oil costs Rs 2970.17. Hope the oil is not after the best before date.

Anurag.
Old 1st December 2013, 10:35   #3902
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I plan to try a fully synthetic oil for my Zen to experience the difference; if any. Right now, the car has always been on Castrol Magnatec. Which grade & oil you guys suggest to use in this particular engine?
I would suggest you to continue with your existing Castrol magnatec. Its a good oil . Besides since the engine has aged now it wont make much difference in terms of smoothness.I mean for the extra amount that you put in for a synthetic oil the returns may not be as expected. You may also end up disappointed with the delta change . If you want to try the synthetic oil for the heck of it then you can go for Mobil 1 0W40 .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Yea I think so!

She hasn't been to a service station since her 3rd free service as I learnt the hard way that, service guys cause more harm than good!

I service her myself and she'll be 4 years old tomorrow! So was planning a birthday oil change!

I have a trusted garage nearby, but I don't want greasy hands all over my car!
Also, I'm not able to find any good quality oil filters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Take your own oil to your A.S.S., buy a filter from them and let them change the oil. That is what I do, right from first service.

Oil filter is the most important part of an oil change. Might i say, its more important than the oil itself? As Gansen has mentioned , take the oil with you to a HASS and ask them to do an oil change with a new filter. Pay the labor + filter charge and be happy. Its cumbersome to find change oil at home. Besides disposing the old oil is also a big hazard.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2013, 12:55   #3903
BHPian

Guys, how do we identify counterfeit oils? I tried searching for the forum but couldn't find much about identifying, only recommendations to buy genuine oils.

I'm trying to purchase Mobil-1 synth. A couple of multi-brand service centers stock it and are quoting Rs.1150-1200/Lt, close to the MRP. It is available from JC Road at around Rs.950/Lt, so, I asked the these guys to reduce the price, but, they didn't reduce by much. But, one of the service center guys gave me a call and told me he can source it from the dealer directly and sell it to me, that it won't be possible to reduce the price if he sells through the service center. He is ready to sell it at the same price I can get from JC road. I'd really like if I can buy from someone locally without needing to go to JC road everytime I want to purchase engine oil. But, I'm a little worried about the oil being genuine. He claims it is.
Old 1st December 2013, 15:37   #3904
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz91 View Post
Guys, how do we identify counterfeit oils? I tried searching for the forum but couldn't find much about identifying, only recommendations to buy genuine oils.
Engine performance is the key for knowing the engine oil quality. The Best before date, Batch Number, MFD & MRP sticker can be changed by a new one so the customer will not know about counterfeiting.

IIRC The engine oil colour and the thickness should also be a give away in case reused oil is bought. The engine will become rough and the idle RPM will be uneven and the NVH levels will go up considerably if the oil used is bad or a reused one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz91 View Post
I'm trying to purchase Mobil-1 synth.
http://www.teamaviation.in/contact_us.php

I just browsed their website and it routed me to the above link for the Mobil 1 oils. Why dont you shoot an email to them or fill the contact form and get in touch with them (dealers) directly than going through service centres and agents.

I did the same when I wanted to source Motul engine oil for my bike. I contacted them and they keep supplying me a bottle of the oil every time I call them. They just have deposited stocks at my mechanics garage so when I go for service it is Motul oil used.

Now the good news for me is my mechanic has become the end user directly for Motul oils for all compatible bikes that he services, so there is a large plastic barrel in his garage that he uses every time I go.

Anurag.
Old 1st December 2013, 17:17   #3905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Congrats on the service done. Do you have that oil can with you? Rs.1240 for 3.5L is suspicious to me. For my car the synthetic oil costs Rs 2970.17. Hope the oil is not after the best before date.

Anurag.
Thanks for you help Anurag!

I also spoke with GSCaltex guy yesterday and asked him to provide all the details. He will send me the specs. He said earlier they used a Group 2 base oil which is good but not fully synthetic. But, the Korean site that I mentioned earlier says it is "fully synthetic" and is "made from Synthetic Technology base oils". The color was transparent yellowish which is good. Oils with dark colors usually use poor base oils (Group 1). I also asked him why don't they introduce 75W90 gear oil in retail packaging which he said they are considering and the brake fluid which he said they will do soon.

I do have the pics and will upload from my mobile It was May 2013 pkd so not old.
Old 1st December 2013, 17:22   #3906
BHPian

The engine oil can pics.

Name:  ForumRunner_20131201_172117.png
Views: 3135
Size:  363.9 KB

Name:  ForumRunner_20131201_172125.png
Views: 3157
Size:  392.5 KB
Old 1st December 2013, 22:34   #3907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another great resource on all sorts of automotive oils:
http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/index.htm
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:50   #3908
Senior - BHPian

@ heysac, could you share the shop details, I would like to purchase the same.

Quote:
Another great resource on all sorts of automotive oils:
http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oils/index.htm
Old 2nd December 2013, 13:27   #3909
BANNED

Quote:
I also asked him why don't they introduce 75W90 gear oil in retail packaging which he said they are considering and the brake fluid which he said they will do soon.

I do have the pics and will upload from my mobile It was May 2013 pkd so not old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I contacted the guys at Shell as I use Shell gear oil 75W90.

@ heysac: Below are the details for the Shell distributor for New Delhi. I have forwarded the mail reply to you and also posting here for the benefit of BHP'ians around New Delhi.

Distributor Name - New Modern Petrochem

Contact Person - Alok Gupta

Contact Number - 09212007021

Cheers,
Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 15:01   #3910
BHPian

Quote:
You can purchase GS Caltex Kixx G1 5W30 from Rakesh Motors in Old Gurgaon 9811580697. I also have the phone number of the Haryana distributor of GSCaltex: Gautam Bakshi 9355372001.

I bought it for ~1240. They have also sent 2.5 ltr packaging of 80W90 gear oil now.

I would like to clarify that we are not yet sure whether this oil is fully synthetic. The Korean website mentions it as fully synthetic but the Indian specs of the oil keep mum except for saying "it uses synthetic technology base oils". I have asked the company rep to clarify and have attached the specs from both the Indian company and the Korean one. Looking at the viscosity of the oil, it seems to be comparable to fully synthetic oils!

Drive smooth
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GS Caltex Korea Kixx G1_Catalog.pdf (374.8 KB, 526 views)
File Type: pdf GS Caltex India Kixx G1_Catalog.pdf (374.8 KB, 569 views)

Last edited by heysac : 2nd December 2013 at 15:21.
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:24   #3911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Oil filter is the most important part of an oil change. Might i say, its more important than the oil itself? As Gansen has mentioned , take the oil with you to a HASS and ask them to do an oil change with a new filter. Pay the labor + filter charge and be happy. Its cumbersome to find change oil at home. Besides disposing the old oil is also a big hazard.
Thanks a lot Sagar!

btw I'm confused regarding how are oil filters classified for different engines?
What are the differences? Why can't any oil filter fit my i20?

Internet is absolutely clueless about it!

And apparently, apart from purolator blues(the one my car came with), no one makes oil filter for i20 or I'm not able to find them as I dont have a part number! (hyundai's part number for oil filter is specific to their own parts only)

Is it some weird scheme to keep the customer tied to the service centers?

Regarding taking my baby to HASS(Prolly Rishabh Hyundai where I got her from), I'm very scared to take her there.

90% of my trips there have been full of mishaps, involving service guys and mechanics either hitting my car while taking it in the service bay, or scratching her quite badly with wrenches and screwdrivers
(And later denying the whole thing and blaming it on me that it was already present before the car was brought in!)

No way I'm going back there! No sir.

I'll ask my local garage to help me source the oil filter. As its available absolutely nowhere!!

(except on ebay.co.uk and sgpetch where probably online retailers are allowed to sell car parts and customers have more freedom from dealerships and service centers)

I'll take his help in changing the oil too + they have proper means to dispose off the old oil.
Old 2nd December 2013, 18:56   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sagar!

btw I'm confused regarding how are oil filters classified for different engines?

And apparently, apart from purolator blues(the one my car came with), no one makes oil filter for i20 or I'm not able to find them as I dont have a part number! (hyundai's part number for oil filter is specific to their own parts only)

Regarding taking my baby to HASS(Prolly Rishabh Hyundai where I got her from), I'm very scared to take her there.

90% of my trips there have been full of mishaps, involving service guys and mechanics either hitting my car while taking it in the service bay, or scratching her quite badly with wrenches and screwdrivers
(And later denying the whole thing and blaming it on me that it was already present before the car was brought in!)

I'll ask my local garage to help me source the oil filter. As its available absolutely nowhere!!

(except on ebay.co.uk and sgpetch where probably online retailers are allowed to sell car parts and customers have more freedom from dealerships and service centers)

I'll take his help in changing the oil too + they have proper means to dispose off the old oil.
Oil filters selection depends on type of engine-petrol or diesel, drain intervals and oil pressure inside engine when running at high RPM. Hence different cars have different filters made for them.

You need not leave your car at the service center for the oil change . you can get it changed when you are at the service center itself and drive the car back with you.

If you are buying oil filter from outside garage,make sure that its original Hyundai. Match the part numbers from your bill and the filter box. An alternative would be to visit Bosch service center and check if they have a filter from Bosch for i20 petrol. If they have then you can get the oil changed at them only.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:46   #3913
BANNED

Quote:

Thanks a lot Sagar!

As mentioned by Sagar, most parts are specific to the manufacturers and no two parts will match easily, reason - keeping the customer tied to the manufacture and running is business.

Try shine other service centre in your city if your worried of Rishabh Hyundai. If your car is not in warranty then go to Bosch and get the service done.

Doesn't Hyundai allow selling parts over the counter as Maruti does?

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:19   #3914
Senior - BHPian

Oil filters are generally classified primarily on the oil volume throughput and the mounting space available. It is not uncommon to see two vehicles from different manufacturers sharing the same filter.

You could approach any car spare parts reseller and ask for an i20 oil filter and he will have one. Could be from Purolater or Delphi or similar.

As for service depending on where you are in the city the Tbhp directory could help you in identifying a good service centre or you could simply drive in to Hyundai Motor Plaza @ Mathura road. This is a company owned centre and is supposed to be the best of the lot.

Quote:

And apparently, apart from purolatr blues(the one my car came with), no one makes oil filter for i20 or I'm not able to find them as I dont have a part number! (hyundai's part number for oil filter is specific to their own parts only)

Some centres do others do not, it is a mixed bag.

Quote:

Anurag.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2013, 00:42   #3915
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Oil filters selection depends on type of engine-petrol or diesel, drain intervals and oil pressure inside engine when running at high RPM. Hence different cars have different filters made for them.

You need not leave your car at the service center for the oil change . you can get it changed when you are at the service center itself and drive the car back with you.

If you are buying oil filter from outside garage,make sure that its original Hyundai. Match the part numbers from your bill and the filter box. An alternative would be to visit Bosch service center and check if they have a filter from Bosch for i20 petrol. If they have then you can get the oil changed at them only.
Thanks for the explanation!

Oh! Believe me, when I took her for the oil change once, in spite of their rules, I stood beside her all the time during the service but they told me to leave as their lunch break had started!

I was just away from my car for around 30 mins and when I came back, I discovered a pretty big scratch on the rear bumper and on questioning they said it was already there!

Though now I have a car dvr which can record the culprit details when I'm not around! Hehe

But I don't want that to happen all over again!
will look around for Bosch filter! Thanks again.

Quote:
As mentioned by Sagar, most parts are specific to the manufacturers and no two parts will match easily, reason - keeping the customer tied to the manufacture and running is business.

Try shine other service centre in your city if your worried of Rishabh Hyundai. If your car is not in warranty then go to Bosch and get the service done.

Anurag.
Earlier I used to go to the dealership and buy parts OTC all the time.

and then they made it mandatory to open a job card and vehicle be present in order to purchase parts. That was crazy!

I'll look out for a Bosch service station, Thanks

Quote:
Oil filters are generally classified primarily on the oil volume throughput and the mounting space available. It is not uncommon to see two vehicles from different manufacturers sharing the same filter.

You could approach any car spare parts reseller and ask for an i20 oil filter and he will have one. Could be from Purolater or Delphi or similar.

As for service depending on where you are in the city the Tbhp directory could help you in identifying a good service centre or you could simply drive in to Hyundai Motor Plaza @ Mathura road. This is a company owned centre and is supposed to be the best of the lot.

Some centres do others do not, it is a mixed bag.
Yea I came across many aftermarket oil as well as air filters for most of Maruti and other vehicles as well.
But nothing like that for the i20. :(
I'll check the tbhp directory, thanks!

HMP have probably months of advance booking! I had tried to call them and book a service, but they gave a date a few months down the line! Lol

Most Viewed