Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 21:27   #4036
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
He also told me that other users are equally happy with castrol Edge which also is as good as Mobil 1. But i miss that smooth pull post 2200rpm with MOBIL 1.
I used to drive a Ritz VDi and in the 1.08 lakh kms that I have spent with it I loved and preferred Mobil oils and Shell. No Castrol or Petronas.

I still love Mobil for the diesel engine and Maruti Suzuki recommends Mobil Super MGDO 0W40 or 5W40 fully synthetic oil.

Now since I have bought a New Swift ZDi, awaiting as to what MASS will fill-in. Clicked 10K kms but not finding time to give it for service.

Quote:
During the oil change (which was done in front of me) i also noticed that Castrol Edge can did not claim itself to he a 'SYNTHETIC' oil anywhere on it.
What grade did the oil can have printed on it or can you check the bill please?

Quote:
Is Castrol giving huge margins to TASS as compared to MOBIL 1?
Could be a factor of possibility as the volumes used are high so the best margin manufacturer is preferred. Can't blame Tata or any one.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 18th April 2014 at 21:28.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2014, 16:03   #4037
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

My father retired from the lubricating oil industry about 10 Years ago. Synthetic oils were new then and semi synthetics were a premium product.

He rarely talks about today's products as things have changed a lot.
But he recommended a few points which I have always followed.

The thinnest permissible oil for those who have lot of starts and stops, and short runs and whose engine do not warm up. The cars with auto shutdown and start in economy mode should be compulsorily with 5W-40. Low spread between the winter and operational specifications for vehicles which run longer distances and whose cold running is less so Inter city buses and taxis should prefer 15W-40 or even 20W-40 if they have old generation engine.
Old worn engines which have started consuming oil can use thicker oil for a short interval pending overhaul.

HOW Multigrades function.

These oils are actually oils of the lower grade with polymer additives which are coiled up when cold and uncoil when heated. So 15W40 is oil with SAE 15 viscosity and the polymers added in them which re coiled when cold uncoil when heated and increase resistance to flow and indirectly the viscosity.

A trouble giving engine and sometimes even newly rebuilt engines sometimes destroys these polymers due to localized heating or due to very tight clearances in connecting bushes etc. (So truck / bus owners never use synthetic for first fill after a overhaul). Polymer breakdown will cause the oil to function at the winter viscosity level(first No).

So those who have a small car for daily use in city and another larger one for intercity use, can use a 5W-40 synthetic in their city car, and a 15W-40 for the larger car used only for long runs. Old generation cars will be fine even with a 20W-40.

The second no in the viscocity should usually not be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Makes little difference. I just use the thinnest permitted. Maybe with a new engine you may use a grade thicker.
This assumption dose not add up. A new engine always has tight clearances, and needs thin oil, but as it gets older and clearances increase thicker oil may be needed to give adequate oil pressure.

Un necessary use of thick oil makes the oil pump work harder which indirectly loads the engine more causing loss of efficiency.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2014, 09:47   #4038
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@Rahul_Rao; just an addition with mmWnn mm is only valid with a COLD engine. Then ypu are heading for nn. Also, it is very true, since the so called running-in oil (original charge) used to be a thinner oil.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 18:05   #4039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What grade did the oil can have printed on it or can you check the bill please?
Anurag.
to be precise it was CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL 5W40
Attached Thumbnails
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-20140424_180314.jpg  

Old 24th April 2014, 18:43   #4040
BANNED

Quote:
to be precise it was CASTROL EDGE PROFESSIONAL 5W40
Surprised, my chap uses Honda branded Idemitsu / Savita 0W30.
Old 9th June 2014, 01:40   #4041
BHPian

I have a 2009 Chevrolet Spark which has done 24000 kms. I live in Mumbai and car use is the occasional city outing. Request and appreciate advice on the following :

1. What grade synthetic can I use and how much will I require? Reliable place to buy it?

2. Engine currently has mineral oil. Will I have to flush before filling synthetic? Will I also have to change oil filter, etc?

3. After filling synthetic, would I still have to change oil ever year? Can I delay until I've done 15-20k kms?
Old 9th June 2014, 07:19   #4042
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
1. What grade synthetic can I use and how much will I require? Reliable place to buy it?
Grade - 5W40;

IIRC, 3.2 litres is the engine oil capacity (check your owners manual). When considering the quantity, consider the one including oil filter change.

Quote:
2. Engine currently has mineral oil. Will I have to flush before filling synthetic? Will I also have to change oil filter, etc?
It is better to flush the engine when changing oil grades i.e., from mineral to synthetic oil.

Yes change the oil filter too.

Quote:
3. After filling synthetic, would I still have to change oil ever year? Can I delay until I've done 15-20k kms?
Depending on the running of your car the draining interval is based:

If,
Mineral oil - 5K kms
Synthetic oil - 10K kms.

Anurag.
Old 9th June 2014, 08:17   #4043
BHPian

Quote:
I have a 2009 Chevrolet Spark which has done 24000 kms. I live in Mumbai and car use is the occasional city outing. Request and appreciate advice on the following :

An odometer reading of 24000kms since 2009 indicates a sparing use with average driving of about 5000kms a year. Please reconsider spending on expensive synthetic oil for your kind of car usage. I.would suggest sticking to mineral oil and getting that oil changed when you give the car for annual service. I know many people who push their drain intervals to twice the manufacturer recommendation with synthetic oil and their cars are in perfect shape. I use fully synthetic oil too but do not stretch beyond 1.3 to 1.5 times the drain interval. Recommended interval is every 10000kms but I change every 13000 to 15000kms. Oil filter MUST be changed during every oil change process and engine flush may be done while shifting from mineral to synthetic and vice versa.
Blacktop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 09:26   #4044
Senior - BHPian

Guys for my Honda civic cng which would be a better synthetic oil Total 9000 5W 40 or Shell helix ultra 5 w 40 ?

Thanks
Old 10th June 2014, 10:30   #4045
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Guys for my Honda civic cng which would be a better synthetic oil Total 9000 5W 40 or Shell helix ultra 5 w 40 ?
Both are excellent brands and should be API-SN. There is more difference between tweedledum and tweedledee. I will prefer a 0W30!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 18:52   #4046
Senior - BHPian

Found this leaflet from the Bosch catalog mentioning the equivalent from the competitors range of lubricants and oils.

06_Lubricants Competition Grade Leaflet_04-03-14.pdf
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 12:10   #4047
Senior - BHPian

I plan on moving to fully synthetic oil for my Figo 1.2. I had this plan for a while now but couldn't get the right grade of oil which is 10w30.
The oil used by Ford now is a semi-synthetic one with the same grade. So does the fully synthetic one have to be the same as well or does it differ?
The reason for asking is I have looked around and it doesn't seem there is a 10w30 synthetic oil anywhere.
Ford has agreed to replace the oil if I get them the oil.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:48   #4048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I plan on moving to fully synthetic oil for my Figo 1.2. I had this plan for a while now but couldn't get the right grade of oil which is 10w30.
The oil used by Ford now is a semi-synthetic one with the same grade. So does the fully synthetic one have to be the same as well or does it differ?
The reason for asking is I have looked around and it doesn't seem there is a 10w30 synthetic oil anywhere.
Ford has agreed to replace the oil if I get them the oil.
You can go for shell helix ultra 5w40.

That oil should be compatible with the Figo 1.2.
yogeshnagpal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 22:20   #4049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
You can go for shell helix ultra 5w40.

That oil should be compatible with the Figo 1.2.
Is 5w40 in synthetic equal to 10w30 in semi synthetic?
Old 26th June 2014, 00:14   #4050
Senior - BHPian

Synthetic & semisynthetic are as similar or different as chalk from cheese.

Starting from the base molecules to the additives everything is different. There is no question of equality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Is 5w40 in synthetic equal to 10w30 in semi synthetic?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed