Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:11   #2536
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
So, @ my 80k service couple of months back (actually ~74k on ODO), I switched to Motul 8100 Xcess 5W-40. Costed me about Rs. ~3200 since they only used 3.3l out of a 4l new can, and charged me for 3.3l :-)
I hope it works out well for you. However, it is generally not recommended to switch from mineral -> synthetic for an old engine that has already done 75,000 kms on regular oil. Has been discussed earlier (please search).
Old 22nd July 2010, 14:25   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I hope it works out well for you. However, it is generally not recommended to switch from mineral -> synthetic for an old engine that has already done 75,000 kms on regular oil. Has been discussed earlier (please search).
GTO, thanks. Yes I know of the concerns, but its mostly to do with the engine flush procedure (unsealing seals et al) rather than so much to do with synthetic oil itself. As it happens, Lancer A.S.S. does not do a flush while changing, and I got inputs from a couple of knowledgeable sources that it does not really need flushing (including from the Car Bible guy).
I got the mineral oil drained out in front of me and switched to synthetic.
Will keep my fingers crossed and post updates after 5k..
If only HM had sense since 4-5 years back, I would have switched earlier ..

Last edited by lancer_rit : 22nd July 2010 at 14:27.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:23   #2538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, it is generally not recommended to switch from mineral -> synthetic for an old engine that has already done 75,000 kms on regular oil. Has been discussed earlier (please search).
GTO, thanks for saving me from spending on synthetic oil on my 65,000 kms old Fiesta diesel. In fact, I landed on this page looking for some inputs regarding the flushing process to be done before switching to synthetic oil.
Old 26th July 2010, 18:37   #2539
BHPian

Hi PearlYamaha,

I very recently changed to synthetic oil on my 49Kms old Fiesta diesel. Now i feel noticable difference in the engine than earlier. Just completed 1500Km with it.. But i can really say every word from GTOs post really true about the benefits.
Old 26th July 2010, 23:29   #2540
Senior - BHPian

I switched to synthetic at 84K and after noticing the difference I am going for it again at 100,000 kms for my lancer.

I just realized that HM was also approving Motul 8100 x-cess today while sending my car for service.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 26th July 2010 at 23:32.
Old 27th July 2010, 07:46   #2541
Senior - BHPian

I use only the MASS authorised oil in MASS only. Let me wait and see for the forth coming report on it and then I will also try once for the Synthetic oil if the MASS provides.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:02   #2542
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I use only the MASS authorised oil in MASS only. Let me wait and see for the forth coming report on it and then I will also try once for the Synthetic oil if the MASS provides.
MASS provide only synthetic oil (MGO) for the new gen K series engines. But yours is a diesel Ritz with the engine carried over from Swift, so I am not sure about your car.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th July 2010 at 10:04.
Old 27th July 2010, 10:12   #2543
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
xGO costs far more than the equivalent oil from a major vendor from the market. Considering that teh MGO from IOC was only API-SC till recently, and even today the PSUs give SJ at best, you can save money and get a better oil from the market. Just make sure it is genuine!
Old 27th July 2010, 10:21   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
xGO costs far more than the equivalent oil from a major vendor from the market. Considering that teh MGO from IOC was only API-SC till recently, and even today the PSUs give SJ at best, you can save money and get a better oil from the market. Just make sure it is genuine!
No, the synthetic oils are sourced from Mobil.
Old 29th July 2010, 00:05   #2545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I switched to synthetic at 84K and after noticing the difference I am going for it again at 100,000 kms for my lancer.

I just realized that HM was also approving Motul 8100 x-cess today while sending my car for service.
That's right and I am using it and enjoying the difference :-)

@PearlYamaha,
its your call in the end - there are pros and cons, and differing probabilities. The main issue seems to be when engine flush is carried out for the first time on an engine which has done say 60k km and 5+ years etc.

Again, it is not a _must_ to do engine flush to change oils from mineral to synthetic. Thousands of folks do it all over the world, and Chris Longhurst of Car Bible fame, sent the the following clarification to this explicit question a couple of years back in an email:

--- clip from email ---
> It's difficult to know without looking inside the
> engine. 10 or 15 years ago I would have said "flush the engine" for
> sure, but modern oils are so good that it's not normally necessary to do
> that now. I would do a couple of oil changes in quick succession in case
> any gunk is getting washed out into the filter, but for the most part I
> would expect any harm from simply switching to synthetic. Motorists all
> over the world do it every day without thinking and I doubt many if any
> of them see problems.
--- end of clip ---

The other aspect is that if you were adding an additive to engine oil like Bardahl, this is a mild flushing agent - in that case your car was getting flushed whenever the additive is added in a mild way, doing a engine flush on an old engine is not really the first flush, so no issues. Note that Lancer A.S.S. always adds Bardahl to the mineral oil unless you specifically stop them.

Hope the above helps some folks :-)

Last edited by lancer_rit : 29th July 2010 at 00:08.
Old 4th August 2010, 15:43   #2546
BHPian

Hi GTO,

I'm using the Mobil1 SuperSyn Synthetic oil for my fiesta D and completed nearly 2K kms. I recently visited to the Ford *** and they just checked my engine oil and said that FORD does NOT recommends the synthectic oils as they might spoils the turbo charger. I did not say anything after that and left. I'm not sure how is this true? Does syn. oils harm the turbo charger? I just wonder. Kindly help me to bash them.
Old 6th August 2010, 12:55   #2547
BHPian

Manufacturing date

Hi I was interested in buying the Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 synthetic motor oil as an replacement for my ANHC. The car has completed about 15 k so wanted to switch to synthetic oil. I visited some shops on Opera House , Mumbai but found that the manufacturing date on the 4 litre can varied from August 2008 to February 2009. Does the manufacturing date of the oil have any bearing on the quality of the oil? Does the oil have a standard shelf life or an expiry date?
Old 6th August 2010, 13:35   #2548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc
Does the manufacturing date of the oil have any bearing on the quality of the oil? Does the oil have a standard shelf life or an expiry date?
Not really, especially with synthetics.
But, the August 2008 pricing will be far lower than the 2009/2010 ones.
Get the older one and save your hard earned money.
Old 6th August 2010, 15:20   #2549
Senior - BHPian

@ NItrous: The distributor in Ahmedebad had 2007 batched MOtul 1litre cans. I deicided otherwise and went for the latest lot which cost me 125 rs more perl itre.

Are you sure there is no difference between old oil and new oil?
Old 6th August 2010, 15:40   #2550
Team-BHP Support

Oils do have shelf life, especially if not stored properly (too much of heat/cold etc). Stick to 12 months ideally and worst case scenario to 24 months.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks