Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2010, 10:29   #2506
BANNED

I do not think oils of the same viscosity will have different flow rates. Remember it is AWB, when cold A is more important that B as far as flowing is concerned.

With Castrol the biggest problem is fakes. For every litre manufactured by them probably 2-3 litres are sold!
Old 9th June 2010, 21:44   #2507
BHPian

Hey guys I have just shifted to mobil 1 in my ohc, I haven't seen much changes yet except for the reduced engine vibration! but then it's only been a few kms.
Old 12th June 2010, 21:21   #2508
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
I had changed my engine oil to Helix hx5 15w 40 engine oil last year and have covered around 1550 kms with the same.My car's a 97 800 carb model and today when i had taken the car for a wash up the , service guy pointed out that the car was a half litre low on oil.

Is it that i need a thicker engine oil since my car is old or something wrong with the car itself that it is consuming half liter for just 1500 kms.My car's done just 32750 kms till date,i get around 15kmpl and do not observe blue smoke (which generally means engines' burning oil) as such from the exhaust.Will a engine consume half a litre oil for every 1500 kms or so ?

thanks
Old 12th June 2010, 21:46   #2509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi,
I had changed my engine oil to Helix hx5 15w 40 engine oil last year and have covered around 1550 kms with the same.My car's a 97 800 carb model and today when i had taken the car for a wash up the , service guy pointed out that the car was a half litre low on oil.

Is it that i need a thicker engine oil since my car is old or something wrong with the car itself that it is consuming half liter for just 1500 kms.My car's done just 32750 kms till date,i get around 15kmpl and do not observe blue smoke (which generally means engines' burning oil) as such from the exhaust.Will a engine consume half a litre oil for every 1500 kms or so ?

thanks
Hey sumeet,

I think it have more to do with the properties of the oil than your car. I will cite an example in the form of a very popular engine oil among bikers. It is Motul 300v & it is a fully synthetic engine oil, based on ester technology & blah blah. I am sure you would have heard of it as well.

Now, there were tests conducted on this oil by Amsoil along with many other brands & it was found that though the oil was good, it was least stable to oxidation. I had read this report alongwith instances wherein people reported losing a good amount of engine oil after ripping the bike or in high heat conditions. I don't remember the exact details, but what I want to suggest is that the oil may be the culprit in the sense it's properties were not too suitable for the conditions prevailing inside your car's engine, conditions generated not neccessarily due to a bad engine.

I feel that if your car's running good otherwise, there is no need to worry. By the way, your car's a '97, how did you manage keeping the running so low?

Lastly, if it's been around an year, then I suggest you get the oil changed. And a thicker oil is required in high mileage engines, like for the 800 it could be somewhere upwards of 90K kms.

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 12th June 2010 at 21:48.
Old 14th June 2010, 18:54   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hey sumeet,

By the way, your car's a '97, how did you manage keeping the running so low?
Its used only on weekends and does just 100-200 kms a month

Quote:
Lastly, if it's been around an year, then I suggest you get the oil changed. And a thicker oil is required in high mileage engines, like for the 800 it could be somewhere upwards of 90K kms.
Its been just 7 months since the oil change and its already consumed half a litre of oil, thats what got me concerned.
Old 14th June 2010, 21:58   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Its been just 7 months since the oil change and its already consumed half a litre of oil, thats what got me concerned.
Do you find oil on the floor where you park your car overnight? Minor leaks will not consume 500ml oil anyway. Top up till the max mark on the dipstick, do this in morning before starting engine so that stick reading is accurate then after few months check oil level in morning. If its low then switch to thicker oil 20w50 like Mak classic which I used this time in my car, its really sticky and thick, a drop of oil left on cap of oil can was still there when I happen to look at it after few days this oil is almost like honey.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:28   #2512
BHPian

Quote:
This may happen that previous oil measurement was done at engine hot condition and now measured while it is cold. Other than leakage and burning where the oil can go. Measuring errors takes place due to moisture and expansion of oil.
BTW keep an eye, I am thinking positive.
Old 15th June 2010, 10:59   #2513
BANNED

Need help locating Mobil1, etc

Folks, I need help on two fronts:

1. is there s 0W30 or 5W30 Synthetic Oil available in India?
2. The only thing I have located so far is Shell 5W40 from a local spares dealership (I have been his customer for spares since 2979).

Any e-mail iss for Mobil1, Castrol, etc. which I can contact?
Old 15th June 2010, 11:49   #2514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Need help locating Mobil1, etc
Any e-mail iss for Mobil1, Castrol, etc. which I can contact?
Here is one for Mobil1. Maybe he can give you contact details for Kanpur

Girish Sainani
Area Sales Manager - Mumbai
Exxon Mobil Lubricants Pvt Ltd
Handphone : +919867594710
Email : girish.sainani@exxonmobil.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. is there s 0W30 or 5W30 Synthetic Oil available in India?
Couldnt fine one. Mostly you get 0W40 and 5W40/50
Old 15th June 2010, 14:52   #2515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its used only on weekends and does just 100-200 kms a month

The Shell helix cleaned out the years of deposited sludge from your engine and in the process the gaps in the the cylinder head around the piston rings etc. got exposed/opened up This is a common phenomenon observed in old engines. You will just have to keep on topping up till the engine parts reseat/reseal themselves. Since your mileage is low therefore it may be some time before the gaps are filled by the parts rubbing against each other.

For all those with old engines who are looking to use better oils from Shell and Mobil etc you can opt for their mineral oil range and avoid degunking to a very large extent.
Old 15th June 2010, 15:54   #2516
BHPian

SAE 5W 30 is specially formulated by Idimetsu for SX4. Available with MASS. However I am afraid it is not synthetic. Costs a measly Rs 1200 for 5 litre can. :-)

Murthy
Old 15th June 2010, 18:54   #2517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surd_biker View Post
Here is one for Mobil1. Maybe he can give you contact details for Kanpur

Girish Sainani
Area Sales Manager - Mumbai
Exxon Mobil Lubricants Pvt Ltd
Handphone : +919867594710
Email : girish.sainani@exxonmobil.com

Couldnt fine one. Mostly you get 0W40 and 5W40/50
0W-40 mobil 1 will suit very well with your honda civic.
i have tried 0W-30 fully synthetic from Honda A.S.S. it was no doubt good but you have to go to HONDA A.S.S. everytime for the oil change also you will have to change it every 6 months as per their logic!
i have been using 0W-40 mobil 1 and the performance is really good and the oil is well suited to the car.
Old 5th July 2010, 21:43   #2518
BHPian

which engine oil for ford ikon flair?

Dear friends,
which engine oil grade should i use for ford ikon flair,mobil 5w50 or shell helix ultra 5w40 ,the manual says 5w30,kindly help
Old 5th July 2010, 22:40   #2519
BHPian

Why do you look at alternatives when the manual says 5W 30? Always go by the manufacturer's recommendations. They know better.

Murthy
Old 5th July 2010, 22:57   #2520
BHPian

oil for ikon

lathangi ford uses 5w50 mobil,just wanted to know which is better,mobil or shell. My ikon has done 40000 kms

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks