Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 19:48   #2371
BHPian

shell oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
I bought shell at one of the shell pump few months back for 900 bucks, guess now on will go to the dealer instead

shell helix utra costs about 2900 at the dealer...

btw changed to celina(hope i spelled right) it feels a bit better then mobil...
Hi lohith,
There is a big difference ,The mrp written on the HX5 3LTR can was Rs685.
But he gave the same thing for Rs 515.
Which again is much lesser than the SHELL MGO 20W 40 MRP 575 for 3 ltr can.
I am planing to go there next month ,and buy HX5 ,since my oil change is nearing.
thanks
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:35   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
Hi lohith,
I am planing to go there next month ,and buy HX5 ,since my oil change is nearing.
thanks
Thanks for the information. I intend to go there soon. Does he accept cedit/ debit cards?
Old 2nd February 2010, 16:57   #2373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Selenia WR 5W-40 costs 650/- per litre. THis is used on the Linea/Punto MJD, and is synthetic based oil.

Mobil 1 costs around 950/-. Why such a large price difference , is it due to the Mobil branding ? How much do other synthetic based oil cost roughly?
Where can i pick up Selenia oils in bangalore is it better than OWS 10W-40 it cost almost the same 650/-
Old 2nd February 2010, 17:26   #2374
Senior - BHPian

It's available in the Tata-Fiat showrooms - Concorde dairy circle has them, although I don't know if 10W-40 will be available.
Old 2nd February 2010, 21:27   #2375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
I must have got ripped off. I paid 900Rs for 4 litres can in Mumbai. But on the can I saw a MRP of 919 Rs. How can there be so much difference.
The HX6 i believe is 919 MRP. Its also a yellow can and is 15w-40 but its a much better oil than HX5.
HX5 is only SL/CF which is quite obsolete as far as diesel engine requirement is concerned.
The HX6 though is API-CH4 and is easily as good or better than say CRB turbo / Mobil Delvac 1300 which are both API-CG4 and are 15w-40.
Maybe he sold you the 4 lit. HX6 can ?

http://www-static.shell.com/static/p...tion_guide.pdf

maybe this guide 'll help.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd February 2010 at 10:03. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:03   #2376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
That is very layman-ish.
Please consider it as indicative only.
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:21   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
That is very layman-ish.
Please consider it as indicative only.
offcourse. But also there is this case for using the correct grade of oil rather than exceeding it . like as the emission norms keep getting upgraded , the oils are uprated keeping in mind the fuel composition.
So how right is a simplistic view of using a CJ4 when your car manual specifies a slightly outdated oil ( say cf4 ) ? Only when the sulphur content of diesel is less than 15ppm, the CJ4 is reccomended.
Otherwise it may have an adverse impact / damage on the emission control system of the car.
What would you recommend FOR A td INDIGO a CF4 with change in 5000km/ 6 months ?
or a CJ4 FOR 7500KM/ 6 Months ?
Last time i tried CRB Turbo . I had to change the leaking rear cam seal so opened the cover. The oil looked good for another 2500 km atleast. i change at 5000km.Excellent oil is my take....
Having had a look at the area cam rod , i reckon 7500 km as recommnded by Tata or 6 months should be good enough ( as i manage 7500 km in 5 months or less )
What do you think ?
Old 3rd February 2010, 10:42   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
offcourse. But also there is this case for using the correct grade of oil rather than exceeding it . like as the emission norms keep getting upgraded , the oils are uprated keeping in mind the fuel composition.
So how right is a simplistic view of using a CJ4 when your car manual specifies a slightly outdated oil ( say cf4 ) ? Only when the sulphur content of diesel is less than 15ppm, the CJ4 is reccomended.
Otherwise it may have an adverse impact / damage on the emission control system of the car.

Oil specs for each oil also gives downward compatibility. A CI4 oil like Mobil Delvac MX is compatible on engines which need CF4 oil. Check out the specs -

Mobil Delvac MX 15W-40

Quote:
What would you recommend FOR A td INDIGO a CF4 with change in 5000km/ 6 months ?
or a CJ4 FOR 7500KM/ 6 Months ?
Oil specs or synthetic oils have nothing to do with longevity of use. Always change oil as per manufacturer recommended change interval.
Old 12th February 2010, 01:29   #2379
Distinguished - BHPian

I usually wait for the service interval to get my oil change. However I have read here that it is highly recommended to do an oil change every 7500kms.
Two of my cars have their service due at a later stage, hence what oil should I use in the Altis and Superb? I believe toyota would have filled her up with semi-synthetic oil but the Skoda uses a fully synthetic shell oil.
Would i require an engine flush and filter change? Can this be done locally or does it need to be done at a authorized service center?

Also, what's the best oil to use in the 2.5TDCi Endy engine? I checked with Ford India's service manager and he did not particularly recommend synthetic oil.
Old 12th February 2010, 06:59   #2380
Senior - BHPian

I am using Shell HX5 15W40 / API-SL oil for my Alto, instead of the MGO 20W40 / API-SF. But a friend tells me the 20W40 oil will provide better residual lubrication because it will cling to the engine parts better if the car is not used for a few days. Is this correct?
Old 12th February 2010, 09:23   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I usually wait for the service interval to get my oil change. However I have read here that it is highly recommended to do an oil change every 7500kms.
Two of my cars have their service due at a later stage, hence what oil should I use in the Altis and Superb? I believe toyota would have filled her up with semi-synthetic oil but the Skoda uses a fully synthetic shell oil.
Would i require an engine flush and filter change? Can this be done locally or does it need to be done at a authorized service center?

Also, what's the best oil to use in the 2.5TDCi Endy engine? I checked with Ford India's service manager and he did not particularly recommend synthetic oil.
Toyota introduced a synthetic oil (the one they normally use is mineral) with 5w-40 and API SM/CF specs. It is approx Rs 3200/4 litres. The Altis needs 4.3L with a filter change. But you can fill 4L and drive without issues.

I had my Altis' engine oil changed last Oct and the service advisor agreed to fill an aftermarket oil provided it met the factory recommended specs. Shell Helix Ultra meets Toyota specs is also 5w-40 API SM/CF I have been using it since then. It is really good oil and reasonably priced @ approx Rs 2700-2800 for 4 litres when compared with Mobil 1. Mobil 1 comes in 5w-50 and 0w-40 which are not recommended grades by Toyota in India.

I understand Skoda also uses Shell HU 5w-40 synth for all their cars. So you may want to check with them for your Superb TSI.

For the Endy there's a separate thread on Diesel oils. I think the recommended synthetic is Mobil Delvac 1.

Check the oil specs before you fill otherwise the car warranty could go out the window.

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am using Shell HX5 15W40 / API-SL oil for my Alto, instead of the MGO 20W40 / API-SF. But a friend tells me the 20W40 oil will provide better residual lubrication because it will cling to the engine parts better if the car is not used for a few days. Is this correct?
Not to worry Gansan. Hardly any difference 15w and 20w at cold engine temps. In fact slightly thinner 15w grade is better as it enables quicker lubrication at engine start up.

Cheers!

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th February 2010 at 11:44. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote instead, Thanks
Old 15th February 2010, 09:28   #2382
Senior - BHPian

Synthetic Engine Oil for Santro Xing

I have a 2003 Santro Xing which has covered about 46K so far. I am weighing the option of using a synthetic engine oil instead of the usual engine oil. I have gone through some of the debates on synthetic oil and mineral oil on this forum and also on the internet. What I have found is:

1. Synthetic oils are generally considered better for the engine/operation compared to the mineral ones.
2. Synthetic oils are generally more expensive than the mineral ones.
3. All synthetic oils are not "prolonged oil change" capable. Meaning there are some synthetic oils which still need to be changed at the same intervals as the mineral ones, and there are some synthetic oils which can be changed at longer intervals than the mineral ones.

If these suppositions are correct, I am interested to know if there's any brand of synthetic oil I can use in the Santro which will prolong the oil change intervals. Currently I am following a 5000-km or 6 months interval, as the car is not being used extensively. With a synthetic oil I want to prolong this period to at least double, i.e. either 10000 kms or once a year, without affecting the engine or performance. If there are no brands/oils available which do this, I see no point in switching to synthetics because of their higher cost.

Also are there any semi-synthetic oils which will keep the costs lower and still give me a few advantages?
Old 15th February 2010, 09:53   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
With a synthetic oil I want to prolong this period to at least double, i.e. either 10000 kms or once a year, without affecting the engine or performance.
10,000kms is fine. Go ahead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
Also are there any semi-synthetic oils which will keep the costs lower and still give me a few advantages?
Semi-synthetic aka "10W40" are better than mineral and give better cold start protection. But, you'll have to stick to the 5000km OCI.
Old 15th February 2010, 10:53   #2384
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Not to worry Gansan. Hardly any difference 15w and 20w at cold engine temps. In fact slightly thinner 15w grade is better as it enables quicker lubrication at engine start up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
A friend tells me the 20W40 oil will provide better residual lubrication
Yes, there is hardly any difference between a 15W and 20W. But, I don't think a 20W will cling to the engine per se to provide any better residual lubrication than any other oil.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:37   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan5678 View Post
Hi lohith,
thanks
I bought it for the same rate from the same shop.

I also bought shell advance VSX 1 ltr can for my bike. The MRP was Rs.300. He gave it for Rs.240.

I gave him a call after reaching Inchara restaurant and a guy came to direct me to their shop.. It was difficult to find Inchara as I do not know that area very well.

The initial experience with Shell VSX (semi synthetic oil) is good. I intend to pick a few cans if it stays good.

Thanks for the information.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks