Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2014, 08:49   #4051
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Synthetic & semisynthetic are as similar or different as chalk from cheese.

Starting from the base molecules to the additives everything is different. There is no question of equality.
Yes, I realize that. What I meant was, the grade. If the semi synthetic is 10w30, should the synthetic be the same grade or different?
Old 26th June 2014, 13:40   #4052
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Last week I bought Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 full synthetic oil for my petrol Dzire.
It costs me 3500/- for 4 ltr can.
This is second time I am using 5W40 full synthetic oil. Last was Castrol edge which I use for 9500 KMs.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 26th June 2014, 15:24   #4053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have bought a 3.5 litre can of Shell Helix HX-7, 10W40 (API-SM) oil for the next service of my Alto. The service falls due in June, but I usually buy the oil in advance. My car does about 5K KM per year, and I have been very happy with this oil. Costs Rs 1540.00 MRP.
Took the car for the 5 year service today to MSM. Seems they have recently introduced a policy of not filling customer's oil. I met the AGM (Works) and explained I had already bought the oil as is my usual practice. So he permitted it to be filled as a special case.

Wondering what to do next time. They have only semi synthetic MGO 5W30 from TOTAL and fully synthetic Mobil 1, both of which they can measure and fill the exact quantity needed through an overhead pipeline. They have discontinued the 20W40 MGO even for earlier models.

My recommended grade is 20W40 but I am not interested in Mobil due to the low running per year.

Last edited by Gansan : 26th June 2014 at 15:25.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 15:30   #4054
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Seems they have recently introduced a policy of not filling customer's oil.
Wondering what to do next time.
Since oil change is not too technical job, you may opt for FNGs for the purpose. Just get a good filter like purolator or suzuki from outside shops and get your preferred engine oil. I too use Magnatec for my car and my oil change will be due in a few months or about 1K kms, whichever comes first. Will update how it goes with the MASS at my place.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 17:44   #4055
BANNED

Obviously there is a lot of moolah to be made by both Suzuki and the dealer. If possible ask him to give in writing that he will not accept outside oil. Then it can be reported to the MRTP commission.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 22:24   #4056
Senior - BHPian

^^Suzuki is the service dealer here! MSM is owned by Suzuki. The other MASS are accepting the oil. But I prefer MSM's service standards.

Anyway next oil change is one year away! Let me see at that time!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2014, 23:11   #4057
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Yes, I realize that. What I meant was, the grade. If the semi synthetic is 10w30, should the synthetic be the same grade or different?
I guess this has been discussed earlier on in this thread and elsewhere on the forum. But for your benefit, the grade of the oil whether synthetic or otherwise should be similar to or higher than OEM recommended grade of oil.

What does higher mean? If your recommended grade is 10W30, you can opt for 5W30, 10W30, 5W40 or 10W40 in synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral oil. But it is advisable not to go for 15W30 or 20W40. See the difference. The number to the left of the W can go lower than recommended but not higher and the same for the right of the W can go higher but cannot go lower. If you keep this in mind then you are well sorted to chose the correct grade in any type of oil you prefer to use. Hope this helps.
abhinav.s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 00:29   #4058
Senior - BHPian

The oil should preferably be the same grade, be it semi or fully synthetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post

This is new indeed. Till last service of my swift the local MSM (@Okhla & incidentally the first one in the country) was quite OK with outside oil, let's see how they react to the can of SeleniaK that I will be sending along with the vehicle for the upcoming service.

Quote:
^^Suzuki is the service dealer here! MSM is owned by Suzuki. The other MASS are accepting the oil. But I prefer MSM's service standards.

khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 21:13   #4059
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
I guess this has been discussed earlier on in this thread and elsewhere on the forum. But for your benefit, the grade of the oil whether synthetic or otherwise should be similar to or higher than OEM recommended grade of oil.

What does higher mean? If your recommended grade is 10W30, you can opt for 5W30, 10W30, 5W40 or 10W40 in synthetic, semi-synthetic or mineral oil. But it is advisable not to go for 15W30 or 20W40. See the difference. The number to the left of the W can go lower than recommended but not higher and the same for the right of the W can go higher but cannot go lower. If you keep this in mind then you are well sorted to chose the correct grade in any type of oil you prefer to use. Hope this helps.
I think your post on this #4057 should be highlighted in BOLDS I recently purchased a Mobil Super engine oil grade 10W30 for my 2011 Ford Fiesta Classic. In the container, it is written Recommended for usage in all modern gasoline passenger vehicles. But when I looked up into their website mobil.co.in Mobil Super engine oil of this grade(10W30) is recommended for 4 stroke motorcycles(http://www.exxonmobil.com/Search/sea..._q=inurl:India). What's your take on this. Kindly recommend a good engine oil for my car. I know fully synthetic Mobil 1 is highly rated on this forum. And the available Mobil 1 engine oil are 0W40 and 5W50(http://www.mobil1.co.in/products/)
Old 29th June 2014, 09:05   #4060
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post

I recently purchased a Mobil Super engine oil grade 10W30 for my 2011 Ford Fiesta Classic. In the container, it is written Recommended for usage in all modern gasoline passenger vehicles. But when I looked up into their website mobil.co.in Mobil Super engine oil of this grade(10W30) is recommended for 4 stroke motorcycles. What's your take on this. Kindly recommend a good engine oil for my car. I know fully synthetic Mobil 1 is highly rated on this forum. And the available Mobil 1 engine oil are 0W40 and 5W50
Should not be an issue.

Try looking for Mobil 1 in 5W40 or in Shell with same grade.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 07:44   #4061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docmoya2007 View Post
I know fully synthetic Mobil 1 is highly rated on this forum. And the available Mobil 1 engine oil are 0W40 and 5W50
0 is a bit too extreme since the tolerances in the fiesta engine are not so fine. At the same time 50 seems to be an overkill too. The best bet as a4anurag has mentioned is to look for 5W40 in Mobil or Shell. I am pretty sure Shell has 5W40 fully synthetic as my MASS stocks it and I use it for the K10.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2014, 12:39   #4062
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
0 is a bit too extreme since the tolerances in the fiesta engine are not so fine. At the same time 50 seems to be an overkill too. The best bet as a4anurag has mentioned is to look for 5W40 in Mobil or Shell. I am pretty sure Shell has 5W40 fully synthetic as my MASS stocks it and I use it for the K10.
0W is only valid for cold oil in cold weather, so no reasons to get worried. As the oil temperature gets higher it is more and more like 40. In fact I will look for 0W30 for modern cars, I think Castrol had one.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:08   #4063
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
0W is only valid for cold oil in cold weather, so no reasons to get worried. As the oil temperature gets higher it is more and more like 40. In fact I will look for 0W30 for modern cars, I think Castrol had one.
Any perceivable difference in the oil between xW30 and xW40 ?

Which is superior when considering the average Indian environmental conditions?

Anurag.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:36   #4064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If MSM is so insistent in not accepting oil being provided by the customer, it is better to get only the oil change done outside at a local and competent garage.
Old 30th June 2014, 13:48   #4065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Any perceivable difference in the oil between xW30 and xW40 ?

Which is superior when considering the average Indian environmental conditions?

Anurag.

If you live in a place where temperature goes beyond 40 Degrees then xW40 will protect the engine better. xW30 will not be able to hold the viscosity at high temperatures

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks