Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2014, 15:47   #3976
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
I'd think more than enough for a Santro, so you should go ahead with this. Other options in semi synthetic would be Total 7000, Castrol Magnatec, Mobil Super XHP (all 10W40). Can't go wrong with any of these for a Santro.
Thanks a lot amit1234singla.

My only concern was that the local mechanic from whom i get oil changed told me that Shell Helix HX7 10W40 can be used for diesel as well as petrol engine.

later on when when i checked shell India website, my doubt was cleared but some how wanted to get my self double sure before proceeding.
Old 8th February 2014, 20:38   #3977
BHPian

My 1.6 CRDI fluidic verna is due for 40k service. Till now it was on mineral oil, now I want to change to synthetic to find if at all there is any difference. Locally Castrol edge is available with specification of 5w40 and API SN/CF. Car manual says it should be API CH-4. Can I go for edge?

Please respond as I am taking the car to HASS day after tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 9th February 2014, 21:38   #3978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
My 1.6 CRDI fluidic verna is due for 40k service. Till now it was on mineral oil, now I want to change to synthetic to find if at all there is any difference. Locally Castrol edge is available with specification of 5w40 and API SN/CF. Car manual says it should be API CH-4. Can I go for edge?

Please respond as I am taking the car to HASS day after tomorrow.
Thanks
Ofcourse NO!

Please go back to previous few pages . There is lot of discussion on which synthetic oil goes well with Hyundai diesels.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 07:57. Reason: Please keep the discussion civil.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2014, 00:10   #3979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Ofcourse NO!

Please go back to previous few pages . There is lot of discussion on which synthetic oil goes well with Hyundai diesels.
My query to other bhpians- Has any one used castrol edge in diesel cars? If yes, what has been your experience? For information of sagarpadak, I struggled to find this in the forum. It is surprising that edge is available in SM and SN specifications for petrol engines where as for diesels it has only CF specification. Lower variants of Castrol are available with CH-4. I have not physically checked edge yet as I have to place an order for that, only then HASS will make Castrol edge available. All the above are based on the information available in Castrol India website. Is there any chance that the website has not been updated?
Thanks

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 07:57. Reason: Please keep the discussion civil.
Old 10th February 2014, 09:36   #3980
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chitta Pradhan, you mentioned the specifications of castrol edge asked whether you can use this oil in your Verna CRDi. You cannot for the reasons you had mentioned in your post itself,ie, it being CF compliant and verna needing CH and above compliant. Since there was ample and clear discussion on which synthetic oil for Hyundai diesels and their specifications, i asked you to refer a couple of previous pages which would have cleared your doubts on using or not using castrol edge on your Verna.

Peace.

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 07:58. Reason: Please keep the discussion civil.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2014, 00:00   #3981
BHPian

Has any one bought lubricants throgh online shopping sites? Please suggest which one is the most reliable. 5 L Delvac-1 is available around 4.2 k, which seems to be quite reasonable.
Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 23:49   #3982
BHPian

A little help here please people

I own a 2006 Ford Fiesta Petrol 1.4 currently and it has run around 85k which is due for service and running stock as of now. It has now started to lose its charm - right from engine to a few other issues like electricals.

I am trying to bring it back to life for which I want to sway away from a few stock items, one of them is the engine oil. Ford generally uses 5W30 Mobil1 on my car, which I'm not sure is the correct going forward too considering the age of car.

Can I upgrade in anyway ? Not really sure if I should go with synthetic. Please help !!
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:00   #3983
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post
A little help here please people

I own a 2006 Ford Fiesta Petrol 1.4 currently and it has run around 85k which is due for service and running stock as of now. It has now started to lose its charm - right from engine to a few other issues like electricals.

I am trying to bring it back to life for which I want to sway away from a few stock items, one of them is the engine oil. Ford generally uses 5W30 Mobil1 on my car, which I'm not sure is the correct going forward too considering the age of car.

Can I upgrade in anyway ? Not really sure if I should go with synthetic. Please help !!
Try using Shell synthetic oils and it is good enough to change to synthetic now since the car is on 85K.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:23   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Try using Shell synthetic oils and it is good enough to change to synthetic now since the car is on 85K.

Anurag.
Thanks! I 'm still thinking about whether to switch to synthetic or not - I'm really not sure how long will my family let me keep the car. I don't want to let it go but the family has been bearing with me for a year now, they want to trade it for a bigger one.

Anyway, any experience with Total/Motul/Shell semi-synthetic ? Though i've heard Mobil1 semi synthetic is pretty good, so should I try out 5w40 instead of 30 ?

Last edited by Fiest@DuraTec : 23rd February 2014 at 00:33.
Old 23rd February 2014, 00:40   #3985
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiest@DuraTec View Post

Thanks! I 'm still thinking about whether to switch to synthetic or not.

Anyway, any experience with Total/Motul/Shell semi-synthetic ? Though i've heard Mobil1 semi synthetic is pretty good, so should I try out 5w40 instead of 30 ?
Shifting to synthetic had its advantages and disadvantages.

Smoother, silent engine and longer oil change intervals but slightly costly add compared to Mineral.

AFAIK 5W40 is the correct grade and just for help I loved the Shell oils first, after that I went with Mobil as MASS didn't have Shell oil in Stock.

Anurag.

Last edited by a4anurag : 23rd February 2014 at 00:42.
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:58   #3986

with 86K on your odo, i would very strongly recommend you not to use synthetic engine oil. synthetic oils have very good cleaning agents, the moment you use synthetic oil, it will start cleaning the sludge and other deposits in the engine and since, your car has already done 86K there are very strong chances that the oil seal will start leaking.
Old 25th February 2014, 18:59   #3987
BHPian

I'm giving my car Fiat Palio Stile 1.1 (Petrol) for service at Vecto Motors, Hosur Road workshop tomorrow. My car is 6+ years old, but just completed 30K Kms. Is it a good idea to switch to sythetic oil? Please advise which will be the best. From previous discussion with SA, I know Vecto stocks Selenia as FIAT recommended synthetic oil. Should I opt for it?

Thanks for the help.
Old 26th February 2014, 09:55   #3988
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

@prashkul; At 5000km a year stick with a good semi-synth (API SM/SN) and an annual oil change!

Last edited by moralfibre : 26th February 2014 at 11:37. Reason: As per reported post.
Old 26th February 2014, 10:20   #3989
BHPian

my running is around 1200 kms in a month and service interval is 10000 kms. I own a Ritz vdi. Everytime i have gone for servicing, the Service advisor at Maruti service station has insisted on putting in synthetic oil. This has cost me around 4500 rs for 3.1 lts. When i have been discussing it with some of my colleagues who own, Swift VDI/Dzire VDI/Innova etc, they have always booed me out saying that this is just a money making technique. My colleagues have always gone for the normal mineral oil which costs around 2500 bucks. On my insistence that most of the manufacturers recommend synthetic oil now, they come back saying that- Company has a tie-up with these oil suppliers and hence they make a good margin. One of them even went to the extent of saying that his brother also owns a Ritz VDI and has never gone for synthetic oil but his car also gives him an average of around 17-18 kmpl.

Views and opinions apart, but i have always felt the performance of the car to be great whenever i have used Synthetic oil. In city driving conditions with AC my car has given me around 17-18 kmpl and on highways has touched 22 kmpl with 4 people on board and AC running continously. In 3 years/45000 kms of ownership, i have never had any mechanical problem.

Is there any written article or comparison from any of the third parties/neutral agency proving that Synthetics are better than mineral oil. And also the effect it has shown on the performance and the engine life.
Old 26th February 2014, 16:08   #3990
Senior - BHPian

@ su1978 - I own an Esteem for eight years now. I drove it on ordinary oil till about 40k km on the odo. From then on I switched to Mobil 1 (had used Castrol once because getting Mobil used to be such a pain before the official tie up with Maruti. Castrol is also fantastic, by the way).

When using synthetic I change oil once every 20k km. At around 1 lakh 10/15k I decided not to use synthetic any more as I was thinking about selling off the car soon. After this downgrade I soon realised that the engine was getting harsher. The difference was very sharp and noticeable. The upgrade wasn't this noticeable at 40k km.

At around 1 lakh 25k I thought let me change back to mineral oil again, because I really want to keep this car for another 25k km at least. This time the upgrade was immediately noticeable. The car is back to being super smooth.

Having used both ordinary and synthetic in my own car, I can swear that it is really worth the extra money. I don't think it improves fuel efficiency. It makes the engine super smooth. And possibly it adds to the engine's life. I am saying possibly because I have no way of establishing it scientifically. But I can tell you that I went on a Rajasthan drive from Calcutta when the car was 90k km old. It's still going strong at 126k km.

In this "kitna deti hai" country it is difficult to imagine that people will buy something so expensive when it does not improve fuel efficiency.

Most Viewed