Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2013, 22:56   #3916
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

May someone please tell me whether Mobil1 engine oil filters are available in Calcutta? The name of the retailer, along with a phone number (preferably) will be highly appreciated,
Warm regards.
Old 8th December 2013, 12:26   #3917
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4640 View Post
May someone please tell me whether Mobil1 engine oil filters are available in Calcutta? The name of the retailer, along with a phone number (preferably) will be highly appreciated,
Warm regards.
Are you looking for Mobil1 oil or oil filter? AFAIK there is no filter made by Mobil.

Mobil 1 is easily available with lubricant dealers. There is one called Vijay trading near Rashbehari crossing. You'll also get Mobil 1 from the MASS.
Old 8th December 2013, 17:00   #3918
BHPian

Guys, need some advice.

In my last service, I changed the Engine oil to Fully Synthetic (Mobil1). The ODO was 10000 kms. that time.Now, I am close to 4th service for my car (Ritz petrol). I have clocked around 18000 kms currently.

I am confused (since it is Synthetic oil), if I need to change my Engine oil right now or change it in the next service.
Old 8th December 2013, 17:10   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Mobil 1 is easily available with lubricant dealers. Are you looking for Mobil1 oil or oil filter? AFAIK there is no filter made by Mobil.
Thanks Sir, I am using Mobil1 engine oil for quite a while now. As I stay in north Calcutta, I get it from Shyambazar area. What I am talking about this product. These are supposed to be having extended replacement intervals.
Old 8th December 2013, 17:44   #3920
Senior - BHPian

That product is not available locally.

Quote:
What I am talking about this product. These are supposed to be having extended replacement intervals.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:25   #3921
BHPian

Quote:
What I am talking about this product. These are supposed to be having extended replacement intervals.
Got it!!
I don't think these are available in India. BTW I use Bosch oil filters and Shell HX6 mineral oil in my Swift Vdi. I

Is your swift petrol or diesel? Read rave reviews about Motul X-Cess 8100 synthetic oil. People opined that this oil is far better than Mobil 1 / Delvac 1 for diesel cars. I inquired with Motul India and it was available for Rs. 850 / ltr a few months ago.

http://www.motul.com/in/en/products/52

I have the Kolkata dealer's no. with me - if you need you can PM me.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:37   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think these are available in India. BTW I use Bosch oil filters and Shell HX6 mineral oil in my Swift Vdi. I have the Kolkata dealer's no. with me - if you need you can PM me.
Thanks but I shall rather stick to Mobil1. And I use a petrol car. Thanks again for your information.
Old 8th December 2013, 19:50   #3923
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satshan View Post
Guys, need some advice.

In my last service, I changed the Engine oil to Fully Synthetic (Mobil1). The ODO was 10000 kms. that time.Now, I am close to 4th service for my car (Ritz petrol). I have clocked around 18000 kms currently.

I am confused (since it is Synthetic oil), if I need to change my Engine oil right now or change it in the next service.
Change the engine oil every 10K kms if it is a Synthetic one. If mineral I advice you to change every 5K kms.

The last service was at 10K so the next will be at 20K so get the oil changed when you go for the 20K kms service.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 22:41   #3924
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Change the engine oil every 10K kms if it is a Synthetic one. If mineral I advice you to change every 5K kms.

The last service was at 10K so the next will be at 20K so get the oil changed when you go for the 20K kms service.

Anurag.
Thanks Anurag. I have 2 more queries though:
  • For a fully synthetic Engine oil, I am thinking of changing to Shell helix rather than Mobil1. Is that fine or I should stick to Mobil1? The reason why I want to switch to Shell is because Mobil1 is changed by Maruti ASS during servicing where they have gallons of Synthetic oil stored in big drums. I am somewhat uncertain in terms of genuineness here.However with Shell, I can purchase a 5 liter Can from Shell dealerships at a Shell Authorized petrol bunk and be rest assured about the quality.
  • I am getting my car serviced for the 1st time in Bangalore. I stay in KR Puram area. Any recommended Maruti ASS nearby my area (In terms of quality and overall customer service)
Old 8th December 2013, 22:51   #3925
BANNED

Quote:
For a fully synthetic Engine oil, I am thinking of changing to Shell helix rather than Mobil1. Is that fine or I should stick to Mobil1?
There is no problem in changing the brand. Just keep the XXW-XX constant as per specifications.

During my cars (Ritz VDi) service:

70K service: Castrol oil used;
80K service: Shell oil used;
90K service: Mobil1 oil used
100K service: Back to Castrol.

I don't know what Maruti is doing and why are they changing suppliers every 3 months?! My car is fine and no problem whatsoever.

Quote:
The reason why I want to switch to Shell is because Mobil1 is changed by Maruti ASS during servicing where they have gallons of Synthetic oil stored in big drums. I am somewhat uncertain in terms of genuineness here. However with Shell, I can purchase a 5 liter Can from Shell dealerships at a Shell Authorized petrol bunk and be rest assured about the quality.
I understand as I have seen this with them in all ASC's. I used to take myoil initially but later stopped taking and just trust my SA for the oil quality.

I guess you will be using 5W-40?

Quote:
I am getting my car serviced for the 1st time in Bangalore. I stay in KR Puram area. Any recommended Maruti ASS nearby my area (In terms of quality and overall customer service)
Sorry bro, I can't answer this question. I stay in Hyderabad. A Bangalore BHP'ian will be of help here.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2013, 22:55   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Motul 8100 Xcess is indeed an A1 quality oil and is the factory recommended pour in all Mitsubishi vehicles. This is one of the few oils that is recommended for both Petrol as well as Diesel engines.

Quote:
Is your swift petrol or diesel? Read rave reviews about Motul X-Cess 8100 synthetic oil. People opined that this oil is far better than Mobil 1 / Delvac 1 for diesel cars. I inquired with Motul India and it was available for Rs. 850 / ltr a few months ago.

Rahul, if you ever want to change, do try the Motul. My Cedia's 2.0 litre PETROL engine is very happy with the same.

Incidentally I have a Swift too. The 1.3 L equipped 2008 model and I used to buy Mobil1 from M.A.S.S. After the expiry of the warranty period I poured Shell Helix which I found better. Now a days I am using OWS 5W40. Made in Germany, this is another very high quality product and techno commercially a much better alternative to both Mobil & Shell.

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/ows-...mpaign=310_471

Quote:
Thanks but I shall rather stick to Mobil1. And I use a petrol car. Thanks again for your information.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:15   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

I understand as I have seen this with them in all ASC's. I used to take myoil initially but later stopped taking and just trust my SA for the oil quality.

I guess you will be using 5W-40?
Surprisingly, the Engine oil changed by MASS during my last service has a grade of 0W-40 for Mobil1. When I checked the Mobil1 website, that's the only Synthetic oil exclusively for petrol engines. However, I checked in my Ritz car manual, it says the recommended grade is 5W-30.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:16   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
.After the expiry of the warranty period I poured Shell Helix which I found better
+1
Shell Helix ultra is another great oil. Infact I was using Mobil Delvac MX. Just recently changed to Shell HX6 (a mineral oil) and I was blown away by the diffrerence in smoothness and quietness of the engine. I rate it better than Mobil 1 in terms of engine quietness and free revving.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:17   #3929
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Incidentally I have a Swift too. The 1.3 L equipped 2008 model and I used to buy Mobil1 from M.A.S.S. After the expiry of the warranty period I poured Shell Helix which I found better.
You are right.

I have tried all the three companies on my Ritz VDi (Castrol, Shell and Mobil1) and in these Shell is a better pick.

My car is now at 107129 kms, during the 110000 kms service will go back to Shell oil.

Anurag.
Old 8th December 2013, 23:22   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
Surprisingly, the Engine oil changed by MASS during my last service has a grade of 0W-40 for Mobil1. When I checked the Mobil1 website, that's the only Synthetic oil exclusively for petrol engines. However, I checked in my Ritz car manual, it says the recommended grade is 5W-30.
It is quite well known that MASS uses Mobil1 for both Petrol and diesel vehicles.

Most Viewed