Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 12:05   #3151
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I gave a relative's 7 year old Zen to MSM for service. Later I was surprised to note from the bill they had changed the engine oil with 5W30 semi-synth MGO for Rs 850.21 (3.3 litres). When I checked with them, I was informed that as per instructions from Maruti, this is the default MGO for the past one year for all their MPFI cars.
Old 1st December 2011, 13:21   #3152
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
they had changed the engine oil with 5W30 semi-synth MGO for Rs 850.21 (3.3 litres). When I checked with them, I was informed that as per instructions from Maruti, this is the default MGO for the past one year for all their MPFI cars.
This is a useful bit of info. This could be specific to MSM since I'm not sure when this came into effect. AFAIK, the MASS where I frequent in Blr uses Servo from IOC, and one can see the empty barrels are stacked in piles at the back of the service station.

Any idea which brand of semi-synth brew is being branded as MGO?
Old 1st December 2011, 14:36   #3153
Senior - BHPian

I have seen barrels from both servo (at MSM) and Mobil (at ABT). Differs from time to time with different MASS. Both of them supply 20W40 as well as 5W30. Since MSM is directly owned by Maruti, this info may be significant. Now they are using MGO 20W40 for carburetted cars alone.

I am mulling the option of going MGO way from next service!

Long back, Hero-Honda standardized 10W30 for all bikes, though the recommended spec in my service manual was 20W40.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st December 2011 at 14:50.
Old 1st December 2011, 14:59   #3154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
That review boldly states that Total 7000 is way better than magnatec ....so will give it a try if I am able to source it by Saturday.
And that statement is quite correct.

For those who want to try out a better oil from Castrol, try Castrol Edge. This is fully synthetic and is currently being imported by Castrol India from their mfg. sites in Malaysia & the U.K.
Old 1st December 2011, 15:48   #3155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
For those who want to try out a better oil from Castrol, try Castrol Edge. This is fully synthetic and is currently being imported by Castrol India from their mfg. sites in Malaysia & the U.K.
So that means, even the Malaysia import should be good, I had a hard time finding the UK import oil last time (as most shopkeeper had mfd in malaysia). The shop I got the oil from had both mfd in UK and mfd in Malaysia oil. He said both are same. So, if one doesnt get mfd in UK, mfd in malaysia should also do?

Also, Bhpian Dot recently got Castrol edge and said it costed him over Rs.5k for 4 L. I am a bit surprised here, as earlier the MRP too was 4200 and I got it for 2900.

Also, I see in Auto car India that castrol has launched two new grades in Edge, 0W40 and 10W 60; apart from the already existing 5W 40..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st December 2011 at 15:55.
Old 1st December 2011, 15:58   #3156
Senior - BHPian

Quite right g_c04.

I recall asking you to buy the made in U.K. stuff but that was to keep you from buying their made in India stuff which frankly is no better than what is available from the PSU stables & at half the price point too.

In fact the stock from Malaysia is available @2550 for a 4 liter pack at Metro Spares/Ghai motors in Savitri Nagar (refer NCR directory). MFN status & lower freight costs at play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
So that means, even the Malaysia import should be good, I had a hard time finding the UK import oil last time and the shopkeeper also had made in Malaysia. He said both are same. So, if one doesnt get Made in UK, made in malaysia should also do?
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 16:09   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite right g_c04.
Thanks sir, Will try get made in UK only and if at all its not available, i ll get made in Malaysia.

However, this gets me on another question. VW uses Castrol Magnetic 5W 40 synthetic oil made in India in their cars and so far I havent found any issue in my polo with the oil as such. The car has run about 11k kms since last oil change and will get it changed on routine service at 15k kms.

In fact the best price-quality oil I have found is the ide-mitsui by Honda. Some Rs.2800 and you are all set for next 15k kms. Not that EDGE is bad if you get that at Rs2800, until the prices have gone up after the rupee taking heavy beating this year..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 1st December 2011 at 16:12.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:35   #3158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
However, this gets me on another question. VW uses Castrol Magnetic 5W 40 synthetic oil made in India in their cars and so far I havent found any issue in my polo with the oil as such. The car has run about 11k kms since last oil change and will get it changed on routine service at 15k kms.

In fact the best price-quality oil I have found is the ide-mitsui by Honda. Some Rs.2800 and you are all set for next 15k kms.
Well there is nothing wrong per se but on the 'khoj' scale I find products manufactured by Castrol India not worth the premium they charge over the price band set by the PSU companies such as IOBL, Tide Water Oil (Veedol), HP & BP. In fact some of these state players such as BP have state of the art manufacturing facilities and churn out very high quality products. Hence in my books rather than paying a premium I would rather use PSU oil.

Lube oil manufacturing is very similar to the way Water of Scotland is made. Since no parent company will let out the secret of the recipe, the indigenous partner has nothing much to do except stick as close to the blending formula as possible and provide marketing/logistical support. SavitaPolymers/Oil Technologies Ltd seem to have mastered this art and have been successfully meeting the needs of various OEMs such as Honda (Ide mitsu), Toyota, Mahindra etc.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 21:25   #3159
BANNED

Quote:
The service manual would have the required information on the oil used unless Toyota does not print that info, which is highly unlikely.
The service manual has the viscosity grades and quantity mentioned only and nothing else.
What are the 5w30 option we have here in India? Can anyone list them.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:02   #3160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
The service manual has the viscosity grades and quantity mentioned only and nothing else.
That is exactly what you wanted to know, right? So the grade is confirmed.

Toyota recommends only its inhouse brand oil hence by simple logic that is what all of their ASCs use and the packaging will be common, so I don't understand what difference a picture will make but in any case see this OE oils Savita.pdf

Remaining info can be found elsewhere in the thread or in your neighbourhood market's auto parts shop(s).
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:10   #3161
BHPian

Guys, I just have given my Wagon R (2010 Dec model) for its 3rd service. Regarding the oil change, they're asking me to use synthetic over normal oil (as they call it, "local oil" ). The price difference per litre is nearly Rs.900. But they say that the mineral oil should be changed at 5,000 km interval whereas the synthetic oil at 20,000 km. I did not find anything as such mentioned in the Service Booklet. Can anyone guide me?
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:46   #3162
Senior - BHPian

^^Go through your owner's manual. The recommended oil change for MGO (what they call local oil) is once every 12 months / 10,000 KM, whichever is earlier. Not 5k KM.

The synthetic oil is much better, but still must be changed at the same interval mentioned in the manual. Go for it if you will complete the 10k KM within one year, else stick with MGO. 20k KM life for it is a fraudulent claim. Any way it does not mean you can keep it in the sump till you complete the distance, irrespective of the number of months.

Ask them whether it will be ok if you do 20k KM in three years without oil change, and will they honor any warranty claim in the interim period!

Last edited by Gansan : 2nd December 2011 at 11:47.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:45   #3163
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Guys, I just have given my Wagon R (2010 Dec model) for its 3rd service. The mineral oil should be changed at 5,000 km interval whereas the synthetic oil at 20,000 km.
In one word, this is absolute hogwash. Do not go by their claims. Even the best synth oil should be changed at 10k kms intervals given our driving conditions. It has been discussed to death in this thread. There is no way a synth will last for 20k kms.

If you use MGO oil or as they brand it 'local oil' you are still good for 10k kms since that is what is specified in the manual if they do indeed use a good grade of oil. However, you can opt for a 5k kms change if you run on the MGO mineral oil is you do extensive city/low speed driving as your personal preference.
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:54   #3164
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Ask them whether it will be ok if you do 20k KM in three years without oil change, and will they honor any warranty claim in the interim period!
Good question! They'll probably skirt the issue altogether if you do bring it up.
Old 2nd December 2011, 17:53   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Guys, I just have given my Wagon R (2010 Dec model) for its 3rd service. Regarding the oil change, they're asking me to use synthetic over normal oil (as they call it, "local oil" ). The price difference per litre is nearly Rs.900. But they say that the mineral oil should be changed at 5,000 km interval whereas the synthetic oil at 20,000 km. I did not find anything as such mentioned in the Service Booklet. Can anyone guide me?
Whoever is telling you to replace engine oil/ service interval @5k KMs, is fooling you. I owned wagon R since 2005 & recently sold it. I got it serviced only at 10 K KMs (sometimes even timeline of 1 Yr., due to low running, was overshot). No problem faced during entire ownership period. Used only Mineral oil. Even company recommended interval is 10K Kms & this service@5K is a cheap trick of some dealerships to mint some more money from unsuspecting customers. Even my dealer tried to Con me in to this but I refused to budge, saving a lot of money in exchange . So don't go for service interval of 5K if owner's manual doesn't say so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks