Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2011, 17:49   #3211
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

I have a Wagon R (F10D) done 42k on the ODO. Got the CNG kit installed at 36k Kms.
Always used mineral oil.Now thinking of switching to Semi Synthetic or Synthetic.
Daily Run 85 kms.
Which Semi-Synthetic ? Anything specific to CNG ?
Or Synthetic ?
Synthetics are available but are Semi Synthetic oils also available at MASS?

Which is better -
Changing Mineral Oil every 5k Kms or Changing synthetic oil every 10k km

Last edited by k2max6 : 24th December 2011 at 17:51.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:44   #3212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Just my 2 cents, if you have been getting the oil changed at 5K kms, you have actually been changing the oil well in time, maybe even earlier than required. If your daily drive is about 50 kms, I would suggest sticking to either mineral or maybe move upto semi-synthetic for a slight difference in price.

As for synthetic, you can easily go in for any oil that's xW40, such that x<=20. However, try to get an oil with an 'x' as close to 20 since this number depends on the base oil. The rest is the additive package, be it mineral or synthetic.

Drive safe.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Highly appreciated. As you say, I might consider a semi-synthetic. In this case, exactly what and how much will be the difference between the performance gains and additional protection between using a synthetic and a semi-synthetic?
I ask this question with the fact in mind that I do not plan to sell this car. It has a special sentimental value in the family and we are going to retain it. Hence, long-term protection is the key factor here.
Old 24th December 2011, 21:46   #3213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2max6 View Post
This will solely depend on the amount of running that your car is subject to on a regular basis.

Quote:
As far as I know, Semi-Synthetics are also available. However, as per my experience, they might try to push you for the synthetic if you show any interest, just for better financial gains.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 24th December 2011 at 21:47.
Old 25th December 2011, 00:17   #3214
BHPian

My Honda New City (2009), Everytime during regular service the oil was changed after 6 months, the service station never told that honda recommends either mineral (20W40)or semi-synthetic.
This time the service advisor gave the options. since my running is less than 5000 km per year(2500 km/6 months), does synthetic make sense?
also are there any consequence of shifting from semi-synthetic to mineral oil?
Old 25th December 2011, 00:26   #3215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
This is what the Toyota uses for Liva petrol and as well as diesel(as per SA).
It is Idemisu licensed.

Hi oilmonkey (nice handle that..)
That Toyota oil seems to be mineral oil.

Here's what Toyota uses as Synthetic OE Oil (for Diesel Engines).
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-toyota-synth-oil_page_1.jpg
Old 25th December 2011, 08:56   #3216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Wagon R (F10D) done 42k on the ODO. Got the CNG kit installed at 36k Kms.
Always used mineral oil.Now thinking of switching to Semi Synthetic or Synthetic.
Daily Run 85 kms.
Or Synthetic ?

Which is better -
MASS have semisynth MGO also, which is now the default oil for all FI cars, not only K-series. It is 5W30 and costs ~ Rs 800.00 for 3 litres. The older 20W40 MGO is now used only for carburetor models.

Actually the oil change interval as per Maruti owner's manual is 10k KM or 1 year, whichever is earlier. This applies irrespective of whether you use mineral or synthetic. If you don't mind the cost, synthetic is decidedly better.

But I have seen an oil specifically meant for LPG / CNG engines at Shell.
Old 25th December 2011, 09:20   #3217
BANNED

@Monaro_CV8; It will be useful to find whom Toyota gets their oil from. Honda gets it from Idemitsu.
Old 25th December 2011, 09:26   #3218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@Monaro_CV8; It will be useful to find whom Toyota gets their oil from. Honda gets it from Idemitsu.
The Hero-Honda 4T+ oil was from Idemitsu all these years, but the latest pack I purchased is from BP!
Old 26th December 2011, 01:06   #3219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Toyota sources it from the same vendor as Honda i.e. Savita Polymers the technology partner being Idemitsu. Click on the link in my following post to read more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Toyota recommends only its inhouse brand oil hence by simple logic that is what all of their ASCs use and the packaging will be common, so I don't understand what difference a picture will make but in any case see this Attachment 850551
Old 26th December 2011, 09:56   #3220
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The Hero-Honda 4T+ oil was from Idemitsu all these years, but the latest pack I purchased is from BP!
Sir, Hero-Honda is now Hero Moto, and the link is tenuous at best.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:09   #3221
BANNED

hey Monaro CV8,
I did not ask him about the synthetic oils but 5w40 is not the recommended grade for any Toyota vehicle.Yes you are right it is a mineral oil.
For all the others I posted the pic of the OEM Toyota Engine oil for everyone to see it is manufactures by Savita Oil Technologies.
Does anyone have any info abt the Toyota Synthetic?

@Khoj the pdf is veryy old.
Old 26th December 2011, 13:15   #3222
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Planning to change the engine oil in my fiat palio 1.2 (35K Kms clocked) to full-synthetic, checked out the mobil range, they have Mobil1 5w50 and Mobil Super 3000 5w40 (both full synthetic).Not sure which one to go for, Gurus here please advise/any other brands that you would recommend as well.. thanks
Old 29th December 2011, 23:13   #3223
Senior - BHPian

New pack of Castrol Edge (4L) available at Palika Bhavan (I think the name of the shop is New DC auto parts or something, Phone no 9910578995). The pack is 11/2011 import and has red cap. MRP is 3900/- but the retail is around 2500 or so. I am little surprised, the previous packing had MRP of 4200 and also had a retail of around 2500..

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 29th December 2011 at 23:15.
Old 30th December 2011, 01:47   #3224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Or Synthetic ?
Which is better -
Hey mate,

There are oils out there that are meant specifically for engines running on either CNG or LPG, however, I believe almost all such options exist in the mineral oil category.

As for MASS, I am sure that semi-synthetics are available with them but you would need to check with your MASS about the pricing. One note of caution here though, I have often heard SAs & mechanics at MASS referring to semi-synthetics as synthetics.

Lastly, the grade available with most MASS would be xW30, & I don't think it will serve well in your F10D engine, especially when it's running on CNG. Though the SAs would tell you otherwise.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Thanks a lot for the suggestion. Highly appreciated. As you say, I might consider a semi-synthetic. In this case, exactly what and how much will be the difference between the performance gains and additional protection between using a synthetic and a semi-synthetic?
I ask this question with the fact in mind that I do not plan to sell this car. It has a special sentimental value in the family and we are going to retain it. Hence, long-term protection is the key factor here.
Hi swarnava,

The first time I ever used a semi-synthetic for my own personal car was on the last oil change, & over the 700 odd kms that I have driven the car since then, I can say that the engine feels more revvy & the similar speeds in the range of 70-80 kmph appear a lot more comfortable & relaxed. However, let me also add that I had also gotten all the other fluids like gear oil, coolant & brake oil changed as well & hence, it's hard to say if all of that difference is because of the semi-synthetic. Though, just for your reference, I used Shell's Helix HX7 for the engine & the price difference over a similar spec mineral oil was about 200-300 rupees.

Having said that, for all practical purposes though a semi-synthetic should offer reasonable benefits over a mineral oil, most people still use the mineral oils & get reasonably good mileages on their engines before an overhaul is needed. So, if the price difference of 300 rupees is alright to you then by all means go for semi-synthetics else stick to mineral. Lastly, I understand that the service interval for a semi-synthetic is only marginally greater than that of a mineral oil at best because almost 80% of a semi-synthetic oil is actually a mineral base oil.

Drive safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
MASS have semisynth MGO also, which is now the default oil for all FI cars, not only K-series. It is 5W30 and costs ~ Rs 800.00 for 3 litres. The older 20W40 MGO is now used only for carburetor models.
Hey gansan,

I am not sure if this is entirely true, since MASS (at least a couple that I frequent in my city) use the mineral grade 20W40 oil for most cars except those with the new K-series engines. Though, I have seen most SAs suggest the 5W30 as an option, which as far as I know, is not the recommended grade for cars like the 800cc Alto, old Wagon R, old Estilo, 1.3 Swift etc.

Drive safe.
Old 30th December 2011, 09:37   #3225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
I am not sure if this is entirely true, since MASS (at least a couple that I frequent in my city) use the mineral grade 20W40 oil for most cars except those with the new K-series engines. Though, I have seen most SAs suggest the 5W30 as an option, which as far as I know, is not the recommended grade for cars like the 800cc Alto, old Wagon R, old Estilo, 1.3 Swift etc.
This oil change was done for my relative's '06 Zen when I gave it for servicing at my MASS, and I came to know only when I saw the item in the bill. When I questioned this, I was informed this was being done as per the instructions received from Maruti. The standard oil for all FI models is this MGO, and the other mineral 20W40 MGO is used for carburetor models. The SA even told me this is the oil he is using for his own '07 Swift.

I did not know of this earlier as I have been taking my own oil (Shell Helix HX-5) right from the first service for my Alto. BTW this MASS (MSM) is directly owned by Maruti Suzuki, and I don't know the status in other MASS. I will be happy if members can update the situation in other places.

They also offer full synthetic oil but it is Mobil and not MGO. And we need to buy the full 4 litre pack.

Last edited by Gansan : 30th December 2011 at 09:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks