Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2016, 00:03   #4501
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

For those who want to know about Liqui Moly, i have already tried their fully synthetic range and the oil i opted for was Liqui moly 0w-40. Ordered it from Amazon, was a bit sceptical since i had never tried their oils but read around on international forums and people swore by it, every one had good things to say about it when used on german diesels, i thought why not experiment with it since my Vento diesel had clocked 50k kms and was out of warranty now.

I poured in this oil and got the oil filter (hengst), air filter diesel filter etc and got the car serviced outside at my regular guy. The car had till now been running on service centre supplied crappy Castrol fully synthetic which did not do much wonders and used to lose its smoothness within 8-9k kms.

I have done 1000 kms on the Liqui moly and believe me when i say that it is absolutely brilliant, the car has become butter smooth and the NVH has reduced drastically, it is picking up revvs so quickly. The car never came back so smooth after the service when Castrol was put in. It is a brilliant oil, a bit expensive on Amazon but i was sure of the genuinity, so paid a bit extra.

NVH of Vento 1.6 TDi is high and the improvement does make a difference, i had got the service done 10-11 months back at the service centre with Castrol so i can really make out the difference it has made. I am a Liqui moly customer for life now.

Only time would tell on how long this oil survives the torture i endow it with, would keep updating the thread. Attaching a pic taken from Amazon.
ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil-51heht8leul.jpg

Last edited by coolboy007 : 21st June 2016 at 00:05.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2016, 23:03   #4502
BHPian

This is a great new video from the youtube channel- Engineering explained.

bullrun87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2016, 18:54   #4503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
This is a great new video from the Youtube channel- Engineering explained..
This is really great. I am a chemical engineer myself and can attest by this. Basically viscosity is a function of temperature.Normally, higher the temperature, the better the flow, but then again it also depends on the components of oil.Some components will derade at higher temperatures, and that may be harmful to engine components, especially the movable parts

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2017 at 12:08. Reason: Video link removed
Old 10th July 2016, 02:40   #4504
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
This is a great new video from the Youtube channel- Engineering explained..
The video is really misleading though. Where do you get temperatures of - 35F? You'd need to go close to the north and south poles. Change it to a more realistic 50F and the results would be very different. Secondly they have not even compared mineral oil of equivalent grade! This guy is a cheat, he's clearly paid off by Pennzoil.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2017 at 12:09. Reason: Video link removed
mxh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2016, 09:07   #4505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxh View Post
The video is really misleading though. Where do you get temperatures of - 35F? You'd need to go close to the north and south poles. Change it to a more realistic 50F and the results would be very different. Secondly they have not even compared mineral oil of equivalent grade! This guy is a cheat, he's clearly paid off by Pennzoil.
The temperature of -35F or about -37 deg C is simply to magnify the differences in flowability between new and old oils in this video. Similarly, you should not compare the flowability of the mineral with the synthetic as the synthetic is already thinner and hence will be less viscous. What he means to demonstrate in the video is the difference in flowability between used and new mineral oil and how synthetic oil ages rather well.
bullrun87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2016, 21:49   #4506
BHPian

During my 20K service, Honda Service Adviser changed ANHC(petrol model) oil grade from 0w20 to 5w30 (Mineral).
My daily running is around 40Kms in pune traffic. Is changing oil grades good for engine?
Old 10th August 2016, 22:10   #4507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravint View Post
During my 20K service, Honda Service Adviser changed ANHC(petrol model) oil grade from 0w20 to 5w30 (Mineral).
My daily running is around 40Kms in pune traffic. Is changing oil grades good for engine?
5W30 is fine - but as you have already run your engine to 20k km, you might be better off using fully synthetic oil, no need to get oil changes done from the HASS, go ahead and get a good grade of 5W30 fully synthetic oil from shell, mobil etc.

Your user booklet will specify all the grades available for your car.
Old 11th August 2016, 00:07   #4508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is better to check what the user manual recommends and stick to it unless the company has modified the recommendation by issuing a circular.

Since you have already changed the grade of oil, keep a watch if you observe any change in the engine noise / smoothness / performance or FE.
Old 11th August 2016, 00:52   #4509
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Both of them are compatible with your engine but 0w-20 is better- as specified in the manual. May I know how much Honda charged for the 0w-20 oil last time? And it was listed as synthetic on the bill, right?

Last edited by mxh : 11th August 2016 at 00:54.
Old 11th August 2016, 01:18   #4510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
For those who want to know about Liqui Moly, i have already tried their fully synthetic range and the oil i opted for was Liqui moly 0w-40. Ordered it from Amazon, was a bit sceptical since i had never tried their oils but read around on international forums and people swore by it, every one had good things to say about it when used on german diesels, i thought why not experiment with it since my Vento diesel had clocked 50k kms and was out of warranty now.

I poured in this oil and got the oil filter (hengst), air filter diesel filter etc and got the car serviced outside at my regular guy. The car had till now been running on service centre supplied crappy Castrol fully synthetic which did not do much wonders and used to lose its smoothness within 8-9k kms.

I have done 1000 kms on the Liqui moly and believe me when i say that it is absolutely brilliant, the car has become butter smooth and the NVH has reduced drastically, it is picking up revvs so quickly. The car never came back so smooth after the service when Castrol was put in. It is a brilliant oil, a bit expensive on Amazon but i was sure of the genuinity, so paid a bit extra.

NVH of Vento 1.6 TDi is high and the improvement does make a difference, i had got the service done 10-11 months back at the service centre with Castrol so i can really make out the difference it has made. I am a Liqui moly customer for life now.

Only time would tell on how long this oil survives the torture i endow it with, would keep updating the thread. Attaching a pic taken from Amazon.
Attachment 1519642
I'm not surprised.
This oil and this particular grade are top shelf items.
It isn't easy to come by and well stocked by the distributors.
So, if you like it a lot, I'd recommend stocking up for a few services in advance.
nitrous is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 06:29   #4511
Senior - BHPian

I have been wondering, as some one pointed out Honda recommends 0w20. I own a s-cross 1.6 and the recommended grade is 0w30, are these grades sufficient for hot Indian climate? I am sure the above mentioned two grades are best suited for cold countries.
Old 11th August 2016, 08:10   #4512
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I have been wondering, as some one pointed out Honda recommends 0w20. I own a s-cross 1.6 and the recommended grade is 0w30, are these grades sufficient for hot Indian climate? I am sure the above mentioned two grades are best suited for cold countries.
An engine oil is recommended for an engine depending upon its clearances & several other complex set of factors. There is an increasing pressure on engine designers all over the world to improve fuel economy & reduce emissions & these requirements exert contradictory demands on lubricants as the engines are becoming smaller, running hotter, are expected to produce more power & be fuel efficient at the same time while emitting less and less toxic emissions.

Higher viscosity oils can produce viscous drag inside the engine that can pull down its fuel economy. A 0W oil will have a kinematic viscosity of approx. 20 cSt (centistokes) at start up that will help the engine in cranking faster as different components do not have to overcome the drag caused by a 10W oil which is much thicker. Remember 90 percent of the engine damage occurs at start up; a thinner oil will reach the innards of valve train and rings around piston much faster than a 10W oil. At the operating temperature of the engine the viscosity of the oil will be sufficient (this is where the "30" of 0W-30 comes into play) to provide designed protection.

So don’t worry, engine manufacturer carry out their due diligence and know best. Therefore while changing engine oil always stick to manufacturer’s recommendations. You can however go to a semi or a full synthetic oil within the same viscosity grade.

Yes, out here we use oils that have viscosity grades ranging from 5W-20 to 0W-20 (same as in India) but the recommendations remain the same irrespective if the car is being sold in Calgary where the temperatures during winter can hit -35C or Houston where it can reach 44C in summer.

Quote:
Well, I would invite you to travel to Northern hemisphere. Winter time temperature in most cities North of 47th parallel can range from -25F to -45F & I live in one such city.

This video illustrates the superior ability of a synthetic formulation to flow at the subject temperature as compared to a mineral formulation even when the two oils are within the same viscosity grade. It further demonstrates that this difference widens even more when the respective oils have been in use for a certain period.

The idea behind this test is to demonstrate the superior ability of a synthetic engine oil to reach all the critical components of an engine at start up as compared to a conventional oil. This parameter is important whether the ambient temperature is -40F or +40C however there's no doubt it becomes especially critical in very low temperatures as maximum engine damage occurs at start up.

About 10 years ago I had the misfortune to start the engine of my Dodge Charger (5.7 ltr V-8) when the outside temperature was -32C; believe me the horrendous sound that the engine produced for few seconds was terrifying; you don't want that (the engine still had the conventional oil that came factory filled from the plant).

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 15th February 2017 at 12:10. Reason: Merged back to back posts
Vikram Arya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2016, 09:23   #4513
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Honda dealerships are often not stocking synth. On my Civic the chap said they did not have synth, but then managed to source one from their other workshop. Synth used by Honda is Idemitsu/Savsol 0W30 and not 0W20!
Old 11th August 2016, 11:57   #4514
mxh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think Honda dealerships are often not stocking synth. On my Civic the chap said they did not have synth, but then managed to source one from their other workshop. Synth used by Honda is Idemitsu/Savsol 0W30 and not 0W20!
In the manual of the new City and Jazz, 0W-20 is specially mentioned so it's not surprising that Honda has that oil at some of their workshops.
https://hondacarindia.com/ownersmanu...046-13011.html
Old 11th August 2016, 16:35   #4515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In the manual of the new City and Jazz, 0W-20 is specially mentioned so it's not surprising that Honda has that oil at some of their workshops.
0W20 has been an accepted grade in the US etc for at least six years. Also, my Brio mentions it as a legit option, and I have had that for four years plus. However, I have not seen it at an HASS till now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks