Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2006, 11:50   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche_fan
1.) Since the torque produced by the engine is going to increase, one needs to just confirm whether the gearbox 'll be sufficient or not.
It depends on the boost characteristics set by the tuner and how the driver launches... most of the turbo jobs I have seen failing are typically at the following areas:

1) Oil Plumbing and wrong oil put into the gearbox.
2) Small turbo chosen leading to boost right at idle leading to really high torque on launch leading to snapped drive shafts and broken diffs
3) PS: a small hint one can get away with a safe gearbox if one chooses a right clutch that will start slipping beyond the safe level (a burnt clutch is better than a broken gearbox)
4) 14 plus pSI at times will also require Limited Slip Diffs to manage the power through the driveshafts (not loading one more than an other)
5) Powershifting will break the box for sure that is why I said one needs to be experienced enough to slip the clutch while shifting.
Old 27th October 2006, 01:12   #32
BHPian

which according to you is a vehicle which has a strongest engine,transmisson potential,and dynamics for turbocharging?and which do you feel is the worst and should not be considerd as a safe option,
iam obviously speaking of indian cars which are undergoing turbo upgrades,and what do you feel should be minimum to be done toward maintaining a turbo over regular engines(after the upgrade)and what to look out for.

Last edited by dr fate : 27th October 2006 at 01:14.
Old 28th October 2006, 13:07   #33

Wow! I had no idea turbocharging was such a complicated and delicate process. Quite an eye opener. BTW, if it is so complicated and taxing on the clutch/gearbox/etc, then why go for a turbo upgrade? Why not just put in a bigger engine under the hood? For example, I have an '05 BSIII Zen that's done 18k in the run-in mode so far. In a year I will be thinking of a performance upgrade. What do you guys think would be better? T'charging or installing an esteem engine? If one does the latter then would the gearbox (and brakes as mentioned in another thread elsewhere) also require upgrading?
Old 28th October 2006, 23:13   #34
BHPian

The gearbox can take it.

I had read somewhere quite some time back that the gearbox of the Zen and the Esteem are the same like the Palio 1.2 and Palio GTX share the same gearbox( the ratios vary though) and thats the reason one does not advice to increase the torque output of the GTX because the gearbox is working at its limit in the Esteem and the Palio GTX. Remember its torque that kills your gearbox and not moderate changes in BHP and the problem arises when the oil film between the gear teeth break down and allow metal to metal contact. Bye and wear your seatbelts.
Old 5th December 2006, 13:34   #35
Senior - BHPian

An E-zen all the way

Hi,

You could easily plonk the esteem engine on a zen.. I've had a carb 97 zen with a carb esteem engine churning around 70+ BHP and accelarating like mad..did a max of 150 KPH and gave me 13 KPL..

I sold the car after putting back the stock engine after 2 years of use.. My observations on the mods..

1. The car sufferred from Handling problems..though I ran 165/60 R13 Pirelli Tubeless..we need to really get into better suspension setups..

2. The accelaration was great..could race with a Honda City VTEC [old] and hold on upto 120 Kmph !!

3. The mileage infact improved than the stock zen

4. The brakes were really sad especially taking into consideration the increase in accelaration. The car will not stop as you'd expect it to. We need to get into 4 wheel discs etc to improve..

And finally this is an easier option than t/charging the stock engine..There's no substitute for Cubic Inches especially on Torque!!

Hope my two cents worth was useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_momaya View Post
Wow! I had no idea turbocharging was such a complicated and delicate process. Quite an eye opener. BTW, if it is so complicated and taxing on the clutch/gearbox/etc, then why go for a turbo upgrade? Why not just put in a bigger engine under the hood? For example, I have an '05 BSIII Zen that's done 18k in the run-in mode so far. In a year I will be thinking of a performance upgrade. What do you guys think would be better? T'charging or installing an esteem engine? If one does the latter then would the gearbox (and brakes as mentioned in another thread elsewhere) also require upgrading?
Old 20th December 2006, 20:23   #36
BHPian

How much will it cost to turbo charge Lancer Diesel and Palio Diesel?
Old 20th December 2006, 20:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
How much will it cost to turbo charge Lancer Diesel and Palio Diesel?

more than you can afford pal.....jus kidding dude....well it depends on the type of tc's you would want to install...30,000 onwards....
Old 21st December 2006, 00:53   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlalan View Post
well it depends on the type of tc's you would want to install...30,000 onwards....
what sorta setup can i possibly manage around 30k dan?

manson.
Old 21st December 2006, 01:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
what sorta setup can i possibly manage around 30k dan?

manson.
Only a DIY type. Don't expect to be associated with any of the big names for that sorta money...
Old 21st December 2006, 08:43   #40
BHPian

clutch slip???

Well since this thread is about Turbo Charging....Why not shed some light on 'Clutch Slip' while driving a TC car.Also why is it important to do so.......
The Turbo gurus....psycho..ford_rocam...some inputs on this guys??..

Last edited by angelfire : 21st December 2006 at 08:45.
Old 21st December 2006, 12:06   #41
Senior - BHPian

So that your drivetrain doesn't bear the sudden load of all that torque and power, esp if you flat-shift right into the peak boost range.
Old 21st December 2006, 13:40   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
So that your drivetrain doesn't bear the sudden load of all that torque and power, esp if you flat-shift right into the peak boost range.
Very true and it also does tend to help your turbo if you do not flatshift, this allows for the BOV to open and reduce the reverse surge. Flatshifting could also push your engine to the rev limit leaning it out leading to a knock and an immediate drop in power with or without catastrophic results.
Old 11th February 2007, 22:09   #43
BHPian

Is It Necessery To Install A Blow Off Valve In A Turbo Diesel Engine

Need some advise people
I have a turbo charged tavera.....iv added an aftermarket intercooler to it......I was wondering if its necessery to add a Blow off Valve as well as i was reading on the internet that turbo diesel engines do not require blow off valves!!
Old 12th February 2007, 00:02   #44
Team-BHP Support

Ironager,

Check out this topic for a similar discussion - link

cya
R
Old 12th February 2007, 00:33   #45
BHPian

bov for diesel

thanks rehan....got all the info i needed

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com