Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2014, 16:14   #106
BHPian

Re: Turbocharging a Baleno for daily driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Hi,
Having a 1.6 turbo swift, I can tell you a few things first off:
1. Its not cheap, if you want a break up of costs, when I had collected prices, the cheapest was 1.75 lakh without forged internals, cams, gear box mods or any other engine mods(this estimate is from 2010).
2. 180 BHP will need some very serious mods and equipment which will push up the costs even more from point 1.
3. There is a very good thread by @binz that you should search for for all info
4. Go with the best tuners: FRK (mine was done there). or RRP and RD (if they oblige you: since they do this more as a hobby than a professional thing now as they told me)
5. Kitna deti hai: Well I can run mine on the stock ecu for 10kmpl in bengaluru city full traffic jammed roads and on recent airport runs I got 16kmpl.
6. Smile factor: Every time you punch it.
7. Reliability: From FRK, no problems at all; its a zero maintenance thing for me.
8. IMP: Please do read the large number of threads relating to the topic and then decide on whether you should go for it
9. Make sure you have a spare car. I did it with my only car and had to deal with a lot of music and dirty looks at home from you know who.

If you do decide to go ahead I can accompany you to tuners to check out stuff
@amarpreet99 Thanks for the details. I noticed you mentioned you drive a 1.6 litre Swift. Did you plonk a 1.6 Baleno engine in your Swift?
Old 29th November 2014, 16:18   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
Did you plonk a 1.6 Baleno engine in your Swift?
Yes,it has the baleno engine.
amarpreet99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2014, 21:23   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratika View Post
I am curious if someone here as done a brake upgrade on their Baleno
Upgrade to Mintex Brake pads. I did and boy did they make a big difference!!!!

Quote:
4. Go with the best tuners: FRK (mine was done there). or RRP and RD (if they oblige you: since they do this more as a hobby than a professional thing now as they told me)
The word 'Best' is so overrated. Expect hidden surprises, attitude issues, extra costs, lies, excuses and what not when you foray into this dark world of tuning.

Quote:
9. Make sure you have a spare car. I did it with my only car and had to deal with a lot of music and dirty looks at home from you know who.
Very sound advice. Do not go ahead with TCing the car unless its your second car. I went through this and i cant tell you how stressful it was!!

You could also check out race concepts. Joel, i hear has TC'd a variety of cars with positive results BUT takes his own sweet time to do the smallest of things.

Last but not the least, whoever you go ahead with, make sure you breathe down their necks regularly or they will take you for granted. Keep at least a 3L budget and do not believe all the c0ck and bull they give you or try to sell you. Do NOT buy used stuff. Make sure they are well aware of your requirements and fix a proper time line. Discuss worst case scenarios. 140whp at 8psi on stock internals is a cakewalk for the g16b motor if done correctly!

Cheers!
james is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:56   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
If you read the post properly, it is clear that brraj was talking about remapping the Octavia vRS or the Linea T-Jet and as far as I know, those are both turbo-charged rides with massive gains to be reaped from a remap
Agree, that they are not "NA" cars! The comment I made was in reference to the original post by the OP regarding doing up a NA Baleno!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
My friend, Who told you T-Jet/Skoda Octavia 1.8 are NA cars? Both are turbo petrol's.
All turbo charged engines are forged so internals will be strong.
Yes sir!! Very true! Wrongly, quoted your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj
If you cant let the baleno go! keep it and hunt for a pre-owned T-jet which is going way cheap. Remap if you want more power.
Total peace of mind.
I actually wanted to quote this post that you made. It gave an impression that you were hinting to remapping a NA car while the OP can search for a T-jet!

My intention was to say that remapping a NA car is useless, unless the internals are upgraded! It came out the wrong way!

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 2nd December 2014 at 10:11.
Old 2nd December 2014, 10:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
It gave an impression that you were hinting to remapping a NA car while the OP can search for a T-jet!
I was hinting at remapping pre-owned T-Jet.
brraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 17:33   #111
BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Points to consider before TURBO-Charging your car

One of the reason I was thinking about TC'ing my car was purely because there was no torque at all on revs lower than 3000 rpm. Which simply means on a wide open road I have to literally wring its neck to get moving at a reasonable speed. Not that I have a heavy right foot. I feel it will be a lot better if I could have some amount of torque that starts from 2000 rpm. If TC'ing is a leap of faith, what else can I do to increase the bottom end torque? I think if the BS3 Balenos had a little more torque at the bottom, it would be a fun little car to move around. As many suggested here, I am on the hunt for a factory TD'c car like an old Octavia 1.8 rider or vRS or a Fiat Linea T-Jet. In fact I came across a somewhat clean Octy 1.8 rider with a leaking head gasket that had a somewhat properly maintained service record. But it disappeared before I could get the money in place. So on for another one, preferably a vRS.

A bit off topic here but, are there any differences between the Skoda Octavia 1.8 Rider and 1.8 vRS rear suspension setup? For what I know about the new Octavia, the top end version comes with an independent suspension setup at the back, not sure about the old ones.
Old 5th December 2014, 20:04   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
One of the reason I was thinking about TC'ing my car was purely because there was no torque at all on revs lower than 3000 rpm. Which simply means on a wide open road I have to literally wring its neck to get moving at a reasonable speed. Not that I have a heavy right foot. I feel it will be a lot better if I could have some amount of torque that starts from 2000 rpm. If TC'ing is a leap of faith, what else can I do to increase the bottom end torque?

Couple of thought on improving low rev pick up. The main thing you need to do is get more air flowing through the engine faster

A couple of relative easy things:
Change the air inlet filter for a free flow or similar.
Get rid of the catalytic convertor
Look at exhaust system, some have multiple dampers, so you can consider removing one or more dampers.

Note that other then changing the air filter the other two options might have legal consequences, so you need to check.

As a very rough rule of thumb, a proper free flow filer might give you 1% extra power and removing the cat and a damper 3-5% extra power. More importantly it will improve low rev pick noticeably. i did this on my Alfa Spider with very good results.

If you want to take it step further. On most cars it is possible to see if you could remap the ECU to get better low end performance. Real hard core tuning types would put the car on a rolling road and optimize. But for many cars around there are standards settings that have been developed that can easily be downloaded into the ECU. On older ECU you could actually swap Eproms. Not sure what is available in India though.

Next you might find there are more aggressive camshafts available for your car/engine. And there might be room to polish, hone out inlet and outlet channels on the cilinder head allowing more air to move through the engine.

Although it varies from engine to engine, all of the above is likely to be simpler and cheaper and more robust then adding a TC, especially if you are looking for improving low rev pick up. TCs are not necessarily the best option.

Jeroen
Old 20th January 2021, 08:30   #113
BHPian

Turbocharger-Intercooler Plumbing

(The following query is simply out of curiosity)

Why do OEMs not use SS plumbing in factory turbo-ed cars? Any reason other than cost considerations? Heat-soak, weight reduction, ease of fabrication?

Most of these cars have a coated steel pipe + quite long rubber/silicone flex hoses while tuners use more rigid silicone couplers and stainless steel/aluminum/or both plumbing. I've always felt that the latter would be more reliable and long lasting while being able to handle more boost. Are there any condensation or heat soak issues associated with SS?
Old 20th January 2021, 12:10   #114
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Turbocharger-Intercooler Plumbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
(The following query is simply out of curiosity)

Why do OEMs not use SS plumbing in factory turbo-ed cars? Any reason other than cost considerations? Heat-soak, weight reduction, ease of fabrication??
I would think cost is definitely a big factor. Other drawback of as tubing over regular steel tubing

Resistant to harsh weather
Resistant to changes in pressure
Resilient against shock

Purely on the most relevant mechanical properties regular (Carbon) steel is just better and it is cheaper. Why change, unless you like the look.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 03:17   #115
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Points to consider before TURBO-Charging your car

Here's a fun video that compares two turbos of very different costs on 2 cars of the same model. More than just the turbo, it also gives a glimpse into all the other things that need to be modified/upgraded to make your new turbo function well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks