Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/24991-article-choosing-right-set-tyres-your-car-54.html)

Hi Guys,

Need some advice from the experts please.

My friend has a December 2015 Suzuki Baleno Alpha.
He has just completed 62,000 Kms on the original set of tyres.
I have advised to replace them now as they are pretty well worn out and have reached the end of their life.

Can the gurus please advise which is the best tyre to go for as far as comfort, grip and mileage goes? The car is driven mainly in the suburbs of Bombay. I have been given to understand that it is difficult to source Michelins these days and hence was thinking about Continental, Yokohama Earth Series or Bridgestones.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
SS

Hi All,

I need some expert advice on choosing the right set of tyres for my Jaguar XF

I currently run on Pirelli P7, these set have aged gracefully and looking for a replacement.

I am looking for a set that works best with the current road conditions in India , specifically in Coorg ( pot hole roads) and Pune / Maharashtra.

Stock tyre size - 235 / 55 R17.

Also, my spare is currently unused and its mfg is 2016, I am sceptical of using a 6 year old tyre too.

Tyres suggested by my dealer are as below

Continental
Michelin
Yokohama GT
Yokohama RV02

Pls do share your expert advice. Thank you

I am planning to change tyres of my Vento (185/65/R15). I like Michelins but the general input form couple of tyre shop is Michelins are not available. Which ones will be a good substitute for Michelins?

The tyre shops are suggesting Continental CC6, Hankook and Yokohoma.

Please advise.

I am looking out for 255/60/R18 for my V-Cross. I have only two options in HT as most of the brands are out of stock.

1. Pirelli Scorpion Zero 255/60 R 18 Tubeless 112 V
2. Bridgestone DUELER D684 255/60 R18 108S TL

There is nothing much to differentiate in pricing. Which would be a better choice? Most of my driving is on Highways and Tarmac, hence not considering AT Tyres. Thanks in advance.

Another question as I am considering a slight upsize in tyres. If the vehicle is on 255/60/18 and if I upgrade to 265/60/18, will I compromise on anything? The tyre sizing calculator is showing is difference of 1.57%. Looking to hear from the experts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ponz (Post 5150348)
Hi All,

I need some expert advice on choosing the right set of tyres for my Jaguar XF

Yokohama RV02

I am using Yokohama RV02 (225/60/17) on my X3 since last year and have covered around 7000 kms. These are recommended for SUVs if I remember correctly. One thing is that they are Made in Japan and not in India. I chose them because of lack of options for that particular size. The road noise is negligible on the highway and the ride is comfortable compared to the previous set of tyres. I don't know much about the cornering abilities because I drive quite sedately.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chethan.ram (Post 5173825)
Another question as I am considering a slight upsize in tyres. If the vehicle is on 255/60/18 and if I upgrade to 265/60/18, will I compromise on anything? The tyre sizing calculator is showing is difference of 1.57%. Looking to hear from the experts.

Anyone upsizing tyres (width) should bear in mind the following
  1. Added rotating weight at the circumference means more power needed to build up inertia (slower pickup / acceleration) and more distance needed to stop (braking)
  2. Due to above, reduced fuel efficiency and also faster wear of brake pads.
  3. Higher the risk of aqua-planing
  4. Steering will take longer to "return to zero" after a U-turn
  5. Higher the chances of tyre scraping the insides of the wheel well when taking turns
  6. Faster wear-n-tear of suspension components due to added unsprung weight

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 5174562)
Anyone upsizing tyres (width) should bear in mind the following
  1. Added rotating weight at the circumference means more power needed to build up inertia (slower pickup / acceleration) and more distance needed to stop (braking)
  2. Due to above, reduced fuel efficiency and also faster wear of brake pads.
  3. Higher the risk of aqua-planing
  4. Steering will take longer to "return to zero" after a U-turn
  5. Higher the chances of tyre scraping the insides of the wheel well when taking turns
  6. Faster wear-n-tear of suspension components due to added unsprung weight

Some sites mention the difference should be less than 3% and some mention 2%. Since it is showing 1.5%, don’t you think it is okay? If I have to put AT tyres, I don’t have any options in 255/60, the closest is 265/60. Hence I was considering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chethan.ram (Post 5174576)
Some sites mention the difference should be less than 3% and some mention 2%. Since it is showing 1.5%, don’t you think it is okay? If I have to put AT tyres, I don’t have any options in 255/60, the closest is 265/60. Hence I was considering.

There is 5% increase in sidewall resulting in 6.5 mm increase in ground clearance. There will be a slight increase in body roll when cornering, not sure if that would be felt on a V-cross.

If there is no option other than 265/60 then go for it with awareness of the cons mentioned earlier

from https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chewbacca (Post 5174592)
There is 5% increase in sidewall resulting in 6.5 mm increase in ground clearance. There will be a slight increase in body roll when cornering, not sure if that would be felt on a V-cross.

If there is no option other than 265/60 then go for it with awareness of the cons mentioned earlier

from https://tiresize.com/comparison/

It’s really so nice of you to have taken time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adi.mariner (Post 5173865)
I am using Yokohama RV02 (225/60/17) on my X3 since last year and have covered around 7000 kms. These are recommended for SUVs if I remember correctly. One thing is that they are Made in Japan and not in India. I chose them because of lack of options for that particular size. The road noise is negligible on the highway and the ride is comfortable compared to the previous set of tyres. I don't know much about the cornering abilities because I drive quite sedately.

Thank you, I had an option to buy to the Michelin's, but decided on the Yoko RV2, more coz of their warranty and instability of Michelin's future in India. I am now on a drive / transit between BLR ...Pune...Goa...Coorg testing them out, I found the tyre noisier on my way from BLR to Pune, but too early to judge coz I felt there could be some sound coming in from my sunroof, let me review just after I get my sunroof is checked and also hit 5K on my tyres.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolmel (Post 5125339)
Lighter tyres result in quicker steering response times for sure and quick maneuverability. Why not choose the Michelin Primacy?

The roads in my town are very bad. Full of potholes + pebbles due to half done roads, etc. Anything which has harder rubber would only fare well and hence I am limiting the choices to Ceat, MRF, etc.

Also I hear a lot of positive reviews for the Ceat Securadrive in particular.

What's a trustworthy website to buy them online?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 (Post 5199988)
The roads in my town are very bad. Full of potholes + pebbles due to half done roads, etc. Anything which has harder rubber would only fare well and hence I am limiting the choices to Ceat, MRF, etc.

Also I hear a lot of positive reviews for the Ceat Securadrive in particular.

What's a trustworthy website to buy them online?

Fair enough, you know best. I would buy them offline from a good dealer. Never purchased offline as my dealer always gives me the best price. Have a look though there are many around. Drive safe. :)

Hi ,
I am planning to change stock tyres of my HCity V variant (175/65/R15).I am wishing to upgrage to 16" Alloys and tyres to Michelins/Continental CC6/Bridgestone series. Currently I have stock tyres from MRF and Car is around 2 years old.

Questions:
-Is it advisable to upgrage the Alloy size from what is provided by company?
-How much would be the approximate costs involved for alloys and tyres set(inc of exchanges for existing alloys and tyres which are in pretty good shape)
-Any recommendations for good shops in and around Pune region.

Please advise.

Thanks,
Abhi

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamilharis (Post 5068664)
The difference in road noise after the change is immense, call it day and night. Extremely happy with the choice. :Cheering:

NB : Tyre was purchased (fitting + balancing included from the nearest showroom) from www.tireex.com (Saudi Arabia).

Dear BHPian,
Can your share your long term six months' experience with your new Bridgestone Turanza.
Thanks.