Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Choosing The Right Set Of Tyres for your Car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/24991-article-choosing-right-set-tyres-your-car-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpzen (Post 523230)
Rims with low profile tyres are prone to bending.
60 profile is safe enough for Indian roads..

Now, 60 profile on 155 width is going to be too less, right ? ;)

anyone got suggestions for the 2003 honda city?

really love the ride of the new gp2 i fit for my front tyres. nicer handling and less road noise. feels a lot better than the crap from fiat. contemplating changing the rear tyres too

Quote:

Originally Posted by amahesh (Post 529324)
anyone got suggestions for the 2003 honda city?

Look at the second post of this thread. It contains an excel sheet (attachment) which will give you size recommendations.

It is very good artical which made me to note some do points from this thank u rehaan

Quote:

Originally Posted by esteem_lover (Post 525599)
Now, 60 profile on 155 width is going to be too less, right ? ;)

Ok I shall re-phrase my statement
" minimum of 105 mm sidewall is required on Indian roads to be safe enough"

Can someone please explain what is a Baloon tyre. How does it stand out from a high profile radial tyre? Are these used only in extreme climatic conditions. Please enlighten.

Wheels 2005 Tyre Test - aussiefrogs

This link, though old, has some good info.

Thanks iRaghava for the excel file......I was looking for the profile size for upgrading the tyres and the alloys for my ford ikon 1.8D.......That detailed info on the wheel selection is superb thanks rehaan......

Fantabulous effort!!!! U rock buddy!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeva (Post 538918)
Can someone please explain what is a Baloon tyre. How does it stand out from a high profile radial tyre? Are these used only in extreme climatic conditions. Please enlighten.

I'm sorry but i am clueless about this one Jeeva!
Maybe it is a tyre with less rigid side-walls/tread (ie, the whole tyre is one consistent "balloon") ?

Thanks to everyone for all the comments!

cya
R

Pardon me for my ignorance. My Corolla has 195/60 R15 with only 13K run. Is it really advisable to change the tyre spec when I go for replacement. I know there are `recommended' size upgrades if you decide to do so. Also that the same model may be fit with different specs in different markets. For example, Corolla in India has 195/60 R15; but 185/65R 15, 195/65R15, 195/65R16 in US.

But it may also be true that if the specs are different in different markets for the same car model, the car maker would have adjusted the car body and mechanics for that sort of tyre spec., and changing tyre spec (on replacement) may not be really advisable (unless you are absolutely disgusted by the present spec, which I am not) unless the car is adjusted for a different spec than the standard, original fitment.

Vasudeva

Most Indian cars - under the 10 lac price bracket - would have the tyre size for optimum fuel economy and the best possible ride quality. As opposed to an enthusiasts desire of better handling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vasudeva (Post 631304)
Pardon me for my ignorance. My Corolla has 195/60 R15 with only 13K run. Is it really advisable to change the tyre spec when I go for replacement. I know there are `recommended' size upgrades if you decide to do so. Also that the same model may be fit with different specs in different markets. For example, Corolla in India has 195/60 R15; but 185/65R 15, 195/65R15, 195/65R16 in US.

But it may also be true that if the specs are different in different markets for the same car model, the car maker would have adjusted the car body and mechanics for that sort of tyre spec., and changing tyre spec (on replacement) may not be really advisable (unless you are absolutely disgusted by the present spec, which I am not) unless the car is adjusted for a different spec than the standard, original fitment.

Vasudeva,

Good questions, and you are right in your statements. However, if you read the article again you will see that :

1. If you are comfortable with your tyres and they still have life in them, no need to change them.
2. You will probably gain a LOT more from switching to a better quality tyre from the stock tyres, as opposed to increasing treadwidth from 195 to 205 etc.

Basically, in your case, run out your current tyres, but when they are at the end of their life, do consider investing in some "better" rubber (not neccessarily larger).

cya
R

Thanks a lot. Yes since the tyre size and spec of Corolla is perfectly acceptable and I am not an `enthusiast', I prefer not to change the original specs too much. Of course, a higher spec may have given some better ride comfort but would have involved compromise with FE. So I usually trust the manufacturer (in this case Toyota). I do not know what a higher spec would bring, and am usually conservative.

But, Corolla has Bridgestone Potenza and perhaps Yokohama/Michelin/Bridgestone may be decent options. Of course, right now, my tyres still have a lot of life.

Again, one question is still unanswered: do the manufacturer adjust car mechanics for a specific tyre size, and changing tyre specs may lead to sub-optimal car dynamics? if one changes the tyre without such adjustments from a qualified, knowledgable shop.