Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2007, 09:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Everything is a complicated procedure in modifying a car. Also removing the rev limiter is not as complicated as you have made it out to be (last I remember somebody did it for me in about 15mins).

This fuel injection thing is really neat. Right now I m doing all I can to educate myself so I dont turn into a fossil.

Glad that GTO and the others took this step to educate people. This is the death knell for the age of misinformation and ignorance in the performance aftermarket. And mark my words, in the coming years, I intend to do something to contribute.
Old 6th July 2007, 09:27   #32
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hopefully this will be an evolving document, with more modifications getting described and explained.
Yes, absolutely. We will certainly update this article as newer modifications arrive on the scene. Another reason for constant updates will be the prices which may only increase with time or inflation.

Psycho & Mclaren : Thanks for clearing Vipers doubts.
Old 6th July 2007, 21:04   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
I intend to do something to contribute.
You could start by contributing your Dolphin to a needy student!
Old 6th July 2007, 23:37   #34
BHPian

awesome thread - I did read the "dude i bolted 25bhp" thread but this thread is a good concise representation of it all in one place.
I have been planning to do some mods on my santro xing erlx for quite sometime (once i have the cash ) and looking forward to getting some of the stage 1 stuff i.e. ffe and CAI. when i am ready will disturb our bangy modders on the best places to get stuff done
Do you guys think cars like santro respond well to mods - I have never heard anyone on this thread do any of the stage 2 stuff on a santro. Anyways my aim is just try different things on santro till I move to a new more modworthy car next year

Thanks again for all the education on mods guys - tbhp rocks!!
Old 6th July 2007, 23:49   #35
Senior - BHPian

I don't know if it is proper but we should have a city-wise list of competent people/workshops who can carry out these modifications and some endorsements of brands to go for. But there has to be a quality check on this, otherwise it has dangerous implications. What say mods?
Old 7th July 2007, 00:18   #36
BHPian

yes I was going to ask for that too - A reliable list of workshops for every region which is tried & tested by tbhpians. Newbies like me are happy with the awesome tech advise but would be happiest if we knew the most reliable place to do it

for example - if automech is recommended then which automech dealer in bangy, cold air intake then which is the best K&N authorized dealer who also does a perfect job of the air intake mandrel bent plumbing and then porting/polishing stage 2 workshops, etc
Now i know I can get the list of K&N dealers in bangalore from K&n site or surf automech site to guide me to their bangy dealers, but which one is tbhp recommended would mean a lot
Old 7th July 2007, 00:21   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
if automech is recommended then which automech dealer in bangy
OT but I have never seen a single car in BLR with Automech anything on it.
Old 7th July 2007, 00:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Thread..
Cheers to gto and all others..
Old 7th July 2007, 00:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You could start by contributing your Dolphin to a needy student!

Hey! i am a needy student myself.
Old 16th July 2007, 00:25   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
OT but I have never seen a single car in BLR with Automech anything on it.
Yes you have. A black Swift. Not mine. Doesnt have the Automech anymore though.
Old 22nd July 2007, 19:46   #41
BHPian

Very well summarized... Good going gang...

Few things i would like to add based on my experience...

Standalones offers performance gains irrespective of the engine being stock or modified, its just the magnitude that changes... The posts have suggested the standalone as Stage 3 mods, i dont think that justifies its benefits..

Just for a reference, Group N rally spec cars are almost stock save for intake and exhaust systems , and one of the significant add-ons on them have been the standalone ECUs - in rallies we have had chipped esteems taking on and beating balenos many a times - ... Or take the recent test of V-Box equipped bone-stock swift, performance gains have been quite significant in acceleration, roll-ons and drivability.....

I am not promoting anything here, but i can safely say engine control is someting that is needed to get the best out of an engine irrespective of its state of tune.
Old 22nd July 2007, 22:51   #42
BHPian

@ GTO : very nice compilation...extremely informative and well arranged
Old 22nd July 2007, 23:44   #43
BHPian

A very intresting thread in typical layman style.
Old 23rd July 2007, 13:40   #44
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Standalones offers performance gains irrespective of the engine being stock or modified, its just the magnitude that changes... The posts have suggested the standalone as Stage 3 mods, i dont think that justifies its benefits..
Thanks for the comments, RD. I think the experts have included it in stage three as its best to attack the ECU at the very last stage? What if you get significant modifications after fitting a stand-alone? Wouldnt that mean a double cost as the stand-alone would have to be changed / tuned again?

Or is it possible to get a scaleable stand-alone?
Old 23rd July 2007, 14:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

The standalone ecu can be changed based on mods done to the engine or otherwise. I guess it's just a matter of having the software and connecting it to the pc.

Even the piggy-back's like pete's box I think have 2-3 modes depending on other mods done.

Most Viewed