Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2016, 10:39   #76
BHPian

Re: Which bike for super back comfort?

IMHO, then you should consider Honda Unicorn 150, its just launched again and will be sold alongside the existing 160 cc CB Hornet and CB Unicorn.

It will be a decent upgrade over crux without compromising on quality, comfort and power.

http://indianautosblog.com/2016/07/2...aunched-236979
Old 12th July 2016, 11:37   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
looking for a bike for my dad to upgrade from his crux.
but getting something with an old couple friendly back seat is the challenge.

Priorities - Self Start (must have)
Low, flat and comfortable back seat ( the RX 100 seat is the benchmark)
Disc brakes (good to have)
Brands - Yamaha, Honda, Hero, Suzuki, maybe TVS (no bajaj, no bullet)
No scooters
, no cars.
Greenhorn - "(no bajaj, no bullet) No scooters", you have just slashed all the rides with 'back comfortable' seats.
With your parents aging, I feel moving over to a scooter should be seriously given a thought. (please PM me your abuses )
Easy to manoeuvre, both legs free to place on the ground in the 'start/stop busy' Chennai traffic. Nice broad seats. Ample space under the seat for their grocery shopping, and the list goes on and on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverabhi View Post
I think you should consider Avenger from Bajaj. It suits your practical needs. Although I am not sure why Bajaj is put off the list. Avenger has got self start, is low slung, has got amazing comfort on the seat, back rest for the pillion rider, disk brakes. I guess, it is fulfilling all the requirements here.
Avengers and RE Thunderbirds front seats are very comfortable and easy on the back, even on long rides but their rear seats are narrow and not comfortable for pillion rides over long periods.
CAPTAIN REX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:05   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other possibilities - Honda CB hornet/Unicorn - again back seat is a bit too high, but dad is a big fan of stopping power, and the rear discs are a big plus point for him
Either these or the newly re launched Unicorn CB 150 - they offer excellent rider and pillion comfort.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 12:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Priorities - Self Start (must have)
Low, flat and comfortable back seat ( the RX 100 seat is the benchmark)
Disc brakes (good to have)
Brands - Yamaha, Honda, Hero, Suzuki, maybe TVS (no bajaj, no bullet)
No scooters, no cars.
I know you have mentioned no Bajaj, but still I would like to suggest Bajaj V15. Meets your requirements. Also, your Dad may like the retro styling.

Rohan
Old 12th July 2016, 12:19   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Other possibilities - Honda CB hornet/Unicorn - again back seat is a bit too high, but dad is a big fan of stopping power, and the rear discs are a big plus point for him

Suzuki GS 150 R. Test drive this one after you check the Unicorn. These two bikes are the best commuters as well as tourers, performance wise and ergonomics wise.

The GS is still sold, just that you will need to place its order. I had casually enquired with our Suzuki showroom about the whereabouts of the GS, when I had given my dad's brand new Access for its first service. This bike is the Toyota Qualis of the motorcycle world.

Other than these two, you can consider the Livo from the Honda stable.

On a lighter note, may I ask a question? Why are you not considering the Bajaj family? One, having experienced an Indica, must definitely try Bajaj
Swapnil4585 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2016, 15:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
  • Honda Shine
  • Yamaha Saluto
  • TVS Phoenix
  • Hero Super Splendor

Out of the above I really liked the Honda Shine and the TVS Phoenix. I would suggest you to take your parents for a test drive and let them decide the comfort factor while you can compare the features.
I was not aware of the Phoenix. Looks like a promising contender. Added to the test ride list.
The shine should be in the list, but we already have a couple in our family and dad wants something different
If this decision was in dad's hands, I have a sneaky feeling he would have bought a saluto, but since I am sponsoring it, that's not going to happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthrottle View Post
Honda Unicorn 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Unicorn CB 150
The problem with the unicorn is that since the budget is flexible upwards, and if we are looking at a sporty type seat, might as well look at the best we can get, and that leads to the hornet. I've read about the hornet's riding stance being a bit more sporty compared to the unicorn, so this decision is pending dad test riding all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I know you have mentioned no Bajaj, but still I would like to suggest Bajaj V15. Meets your requirements. Also, your Dad may like the retro styling.
Honestly you are right - the V15 is the right product by the wrong company. If yamaha had a similar product, we would not be having this discussion. Unfortunately dad swears by jap bikes, so that's not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Suzuki GS 150 R.
Other than these two, you can consider the Livo from the Honda stable.
The unicorn is the only other bike he respects other than a yamaha ( a proper japanese bike), and these bikes don't justify themselves compared to it.
Quote:
On a lighter note, may I ask a question? Why are you not considering the Bajaj family? One, having experienced an Indica, must definitely try Bajaj
Sir Please do not add insult to injury!

thanks for your inputs folks. Will update after checking these bikes out , and asking him to check them out as well.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2016, 15:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Dad went to the Yamaha showroom and stumbled onto the saluto RX. Neither of us were aware it existed. apart from disc brakes, it ticks all the boxes, and is incredibly cheap. will be booking one soon. Thanks for all the help!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2016, 12:16   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post
Suzuki GS 150 R. Test drive this one after you check the Unicorn. These two bikes are the best commuters as well as tourers, performance wise and ergonomics wise.
- After sales is not good of Suzuki.
- From the sales figure that we have in t-bhp itself, the number of units sold is 0 consistently for about 4 months.
- Even Suzuki advertisements in newspaper, I have not seen anything mentioned about this bike.
- I own one and I really do not like it. It is just 42k run now and is 2.5 years old. Next week I am leaving my bike for replacement of Cylinder, Piston. The mechanic is waiting for camshaft to arrive to pick my bike for the repair.

Cheers!
Ananth
Old 23rd August 2016, 14:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
My choice was the lightest, torquest 150cc I could go for - Yamaha SZ-RR!
it seems there is only one answer for this thread. and the answer is the SZ RR.
Due to a change of plans, we needed the bike sooner than later, and comparing the saluto disc & the sz they had i stock, i was drawn towards the SZ - the Saluto's headlight was a bit too hard for me to digest, plus the SZ had the same gearshift as the crux & RX.

Have changed my booking to a red/black SZ RR 2.0. should be getting it this weekend!
Old 11th September 2016, 12:01   #85
BHPian

First, a reply to a4anurag's query from 3 years ago!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...aha-sz-rr.html
Yeah, that's the review, not yet updated after its early days.

greenhorn, welcome to the club of SZ fans! Don't you think its a little unfortunate that, 3 years & many new launches later, there are still so few of these comfortable bikes around?

The SZ itself has been quite consistently delivering on its promises for 20k kms over 3 years. The SZ 2.0 is shown to have peak power at a slightly higher RPM than the SZ, but did you rev it to that extent? On the SZ, beyond 5k RPM in 5th gear (60-odd kmph), the engine can be revved but the gear ratio seems to be a limiting factor; the 2.0 has the same gear ratio.

Maybe all that detail won't bother your father (its still going to be very good to ride in city traffic). But yes, the back seat is a little high & ever-so-slightly forward-leaning.

Also, don't expect great FE (its a Yamaha!). The 2.0 has slightly smaller engine capacity & hopefully better tuning too, but you have to see how much more F.E it can give over the SZ, which has given me barely more than 40kmpl in these 20k kms. Another SZ owner I spoke to (whose bike has done 40k kms) claims its F.E is "like any 150cc bike" - 35kmpl!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th September 2016 at 12:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please edit your previous post within the 30 minute window, to add more contents to it. Thanks!
yatin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 12:32   #86
Senior - BHPian

BHPians, I need some recommendations on a comfortable motorcycle.
My requirements
Cubic capacity: 100-200cc
Riding Posture: Relaxed
Suspension / Ride quality: Very comfortable. Should absorb all potholes and road undulations
Handling: Couldn't care less
Mileage (FE): Doesn't matter.
Brakes: Front Disc required

It is a pity that manufacturers equip their 150-200cc bikes with stiff suspension setup which are not suitable for Indian potholed road conditions at all.

Two motorcycles that come to mind are:
1) TVS Victor 110
2) Discover 125

Please suggest better options.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by blue_pulsar : 1st June 2018 at 12:33.
Old 1st June 2018, 13:00   #87
BHPian

TVS Victor is the most comfortable of the bikes I have ridden in 100 - 200 cc segments. Next may be FZ.
ravradha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 13:10   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Please suggest better options.
If you are okay with 125 cc bikes, please check out Honda Shine SP too, I think it should satisfy all your requirements. In the 150 cc segment, Unicorn 150 and 160 are good bets, as both have monoshock rear suspension.

Apache, Gixxer, FZ and Pulsar might not be to your liking if you want a relaxed riding stance.

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 1st June 2018 at 13:23.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 16:37   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
BHPians, I need some recommendations on a comfortable motorcycle.
My requirements
=========
Thanks in advance
The victor is pretty good suspension wise. Another option is honda shine.

Last edited by Jaggu : 1st June 2018 at 18:09. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post for short replies. Thanks.
grazd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2019, 23:33   #90
Senior - BHPian

I am reviving an old thread... I am in the same predicament as the original thread starter.

For those who live in Pune, I now travel from Nal Stop to Hinjewadi (the I.T hub of Pune) daily which is nearly 25kms one way for me. For 2-3 days I do this by my bike which is a GS150R and the remaining days I commute by car.While the GS150R is good on paper, it's a different story in the traffic jam. Those well versed with HJW will surely know the horrid traffic jams and that's what is making the daily commute a pain. The bike or the cars are by themselves not bad, but I am fed up constantly shifting gears 1-2-3-4 and the back pain after riding the motorcycle

To cut a long story short, I am looking for a gear less scooter which has the best seating comfort. Nothing else matters - not power, not mileage, not outright speed. The only thing that now matters is seating comfort. Given the current bikes available; I am interested in the TVS Ntorq or a better but a costlier option - the Aprilia Sr150/Sr125(?).

So two questions -
  1. Which of the gear less bikes available in the market today have superior comfort and are good enough today to do 50kms daily?
  2. Are the above two bikes good enough to cover 50kms a day without breaking into a sweat?

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 25th April 2019 at 23:42.

Most Viewed