Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 18:42   #1
BHPian

Which bike for super back comfort?

Sorry, long post!

I travel about 42 km everyday and traveling by car or bike. My commute mode for most of the year is usually my motorbike (TVS Victor), which is now 7 years old and though in good condition, has on-off issues (due to age) and the rear suspension is really hard. The suspension is indeed killing my back which is also the reason for switching to the car. However, driving the car here (Hyderabad) as I've experienced is a massive pain in the leg and shoots up stress levels, and on top of that is a waste of precious fuel and money (as I travel alone).

I'm planning to purchase a new motorbike exchanging the current one. My main criteria is excellent suspension (can't stress on that enough) and spectacular safety. Suspension should be on the softer side for city commuting as I don't plan to take the bike on long rides. Front discs are a must and rear disc would be good, although not mandatory. Tires should be wide and solid, and hopefully be better puncture resistant (oh my current bike!)

Apart from that, it should look mature (not teenish) and must look it's capacity (no XXL tank for SS engine capacity). Mileage of over 45 would be sufficient with a preference for all-forward gears (difficult to find, I know), or atleast a complete gear rod so I don't have to put my foot under the thing to change gears.

I rode my friend's Unicorn sometime back and liked the suspension. However, it is a little high for my height (5' 6") and is a tad heavy for my liking. Wouldn't mind buying it if it fits the needs.
I test rode the Dazzler a couple of months back. It was alright, but the lack of a chain cover (all grime on the chain) and a kick rod (battery dead?) put me off.
Yamaha's vehicles have all body and no brain (CC), not sure how they are on the road (service? ).
TVS Apache might be OK (didn't ride it), but heard of the vibration-horror-stories. Service is alright near my area.
Hero Honda - no idea at all, never owned or rode a Hero Honda before.
Bajaj seems to be VFM early on, but then the quality is like Tata (IMO) and reliability is questionable.

Above are my observations. I may be wrong a bit, or whole. Please suggest what you think is appropriate. And oh, my budget is 80K ex-showroom, stretchable-not. That doesn't mean it has to cost close to that to be of any good, anything cheaper that works will also be absolutely alright.

Last edited by hellmet : 9th May 2011 at 18:50.
Old 9th May 2011, 20:51   #2
BHPian

Re: Which bike for super back comfort?

Seems like any bike with Gas Shocks will be ideal for u. Puslars and Bullets are 2 options with gas shocks.

Bullets are not the ideal choice due to your stature (5'6) and Fuel economy (c. 30kmpl).

The seat on the bullet is amongst the most comfortable as it is wide at the posterior and narrow at the crotch.

Pulsars are not good in terms of the seating posture (Forward leaning). Will be difficult for longer commutes.

Lower back comfort is ensured with bikes which have straight level seats (non contoured).

U may also want to look at getting a low bike (as per ur height) and retrofitting it with gas shocks at the rear.

Try that on ur victor. May work.

PS: I liked the Fazer / FZ ride. I am 5'9 and 88 Kgs.
Old 9th May 2011, 21:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey hellmet, look no further than the Unicorn!!..

There is no other bike which would fit in so perfectly to your needs.
Old 9th May 2011, 22:13   #4
BHPian

Check out the Hunk. Good suspension, smooth engine and hassle free ride. I used to get a mileage of 55 in the city. You might find it a little heavy in the beginning but once you get used to it, it becomes easier to maneuver.

I sold my Hunk about an year back.

P.S. "I sold my Hunk about an(or should it be "a year back"?)
Old 9th May 2011, 22:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey hellmet, look no further than the Unicorn!!..

There is no other bike which would fit in so perfectly to your needs.
+1 to that, Unicorn is the best bike for city commute, its very well designed ergonomically. Test drive the bike before you make a decision, good luck
Old 9th May 2011, 22:38   #6
BHPian

Hunk shares its engine with the CBZ and the Unicorn, right? How is the CBZ, coz Hunk looks a little over the top in styling department for me.
Also, the Apache is about 10 kgs lighter and only about 10 kgs heavier than my current Victor. Does someone recommend this one?
The only thing going against Unicorn is it's height and weight, both are in excess for me, else it seems to win in every other department.

Last edited by hellmet : 9th May 2011 at 23:05.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:06   #7
BHPian

As per your requirements i would suggest you to go for the unicorn. Suspension and handling pretty good + a very good mileage compared to the other bikes that you have mentioned.
Old 9th May 2011, 23:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post
It is the sound of the vowel that matters and not the spelling. The word year has sound that starts with a "Y" and not like the anatomic word ear which starts with the sound "e". In my opinion it should be "a year".

grammar - Which is correct- "A Year" or "An Year"? - English Language and Usage - Stack Exchange
Old 9th May 2011, 23:33   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Hunk shares its engine with the CBZ and the Unicorn, right? How is the CBZ, coz Hunk looks a little over the top in styling department for me.
Also, the Apache is about 10 kgs lighter and only about 10 kgs heavier than my current Victor. Does someone recommend this one?
The only thing going against Unicorn is it's height and weight, both are in excess for me, else it seems to win in every other department.
I have driven the Honda Unicorn also. In terms of smoothness I feel the Unicorn is a clear winner. But since you have insisted on comfort, I've suggested the Hunk. I never got any sort of pain in my back even after driving continuously for more than 4 hours on a trip to Coorg. The styling is a bit unconventional, and yes the body kit contributes to the Hunk's total weight.
Apache is lighter and gives you a tad more power.

15.2 BHP-Apache
14 BHP-Hunk

But I feel Hunk is the best in its class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
It is the sound of the vowel that matters and not the spelling. The word year has sound that starts with a "Y" and not like the anatomic word ear which starts with the sound "e". In my opinion it should be "a year".
EDIT: OT!
So both "an year" and "a year" are accepted. Technically it should be "a year". But because "year" has that "e" sound "an year" sounds right.

I prefer "an year" to "a year".
Old 9th May 2011, 23:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
The RTR is a great bike, I own it. Vibrations arnt that problamatic, but then for you, I would advise against it, because of its seating position.

Not 'back-friendly' at all. It has got a more sporty seating position, with clip on handle bars.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 10:59   #11
Senior - BHPian

Most comfy bike? I would say its the Honda Goldwing.

But given your budget i would say the Karizma ZMA would probably do the job well. Its got a fantastic engine and ergonomics, superb service backup and ride comfort and is a popular choice for most tourers. Maintenance and FE is decent too.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:01   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye1592 View Post

will be 'a' year ago.

an only comes before a vowel 'sound'

So it's:

'a' european holiday, not 'an' european holiday.

coz europe starts with the syllable 'y' not 'e'.

my 2 cents ...

english class over

heheh.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:19   #13
BHPian

Why not the Bajaj Avenger, considering, wide seat, ride height and comfort i guess its ticking almost all the boxes.
cheers!!

Last edited by schitre05 : 10th May 2011 at 13:39.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:43   #14
BHPian

Try the Karizma,it is one of the most comfortable bikes for long journeys.The current engine with the ASFS technology and Bharat Stage three certification has a relaxed engine much like the Unicorn that you've liked.It is reliable and the service centers are professional for most users.The On-The-Road price is about 95,000 Rupees here(Bangalore).
If you have good faith in the Royal Enfield dealers[Who,unfortunately are extremely arrogant here!]then go for the Royal Enfield Thunderbird Twinspark,the current UCE engines are reliable but some owners complain about faulty electricals and poor customer care but other than these it is just "joy" personified.The fuel efficiency is around 45 Kilometers to the liter and costs 1,21,000 on the road-Bangalore.The avenger is absolute Value for money product and is also extremely comfortable but the vehicle looses stability under panic braking-according to the owners.The fuel efficiency is around 40 Kilometers to the liter.
Hope this helps.
Old 10th May 2011, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Why not the Bajaj Eliminator, considering, wide seat, ride height and comfort i guess its ticking almost all the boxes.
cheers!!
+1 to Avenger (Eliminator was stopped a while ago and I think you meant Avenger anyways). Its not too tall, has a wide rear tire, good power, relaxed seating and though a tad heavy, you can manage it since its not very tall. The rider will be supremely comfy but the same cannot be said about the pillion. That should not be your worry since you are riding alone. Not sure of the mileage though. You should be able to manage about 35-40kmpl for sure. Cost wise its a little beyond 80k on road in Blore. So well within your budget of 80k ex-showroom

The ride of the FZ series is really good. Adjustable shocks at the rear which ensure you can choose your ride quality based on comfort or handling. If you are using it only in the city, then the power figures of the FZ series should be quite enough as it can keep up and even outrun bikes of its class in the hands of a proper rider. Its not heavy and neither too tall. But mileage can be less depending on your riding style.

If most of your commute of the 42kms is only city, then the RTR is a no-no. Its got good pick up, acceleration, handling but the seating position is a deal breaker for someone looking for supreme back comfort.

Hunk is a relatively good choice considering the butter smooth engine and the commuter-esque seating position. But I guess it seems a bit tall and heavy for guys with a light build.

If you need a bike urgently, you will be put off by the waiting period of the Honda bikes.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks