Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2019, 23:42   #91
BANNED

Re: Which bike for super back comfort?

All these scooters and bikes are capable of doing well over 100 km a day without a problem.
The Aprilia has a firm ride. I am not sure how much plusher the NTorq's ride is.
The NTorq looks very smart though.
fiestarry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 00:29   #92
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Aprilia has a plush suspension. You may want to test drive usual suspects: Jupiter/ Activa / Access with new entrants like Ntorq and Burgman. I doubt any of them will match GS150's pliant ride, but they will be easy on the wrist with relative comfort. As said above, all scooters being sold today can do more than 100kms a day with ease.

There is no luxury automatic available. I think market is ready for a luxury automatic motoscooters.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 00:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
To cut a long story short, I am looking for a gear less scooter which has the best seating comfort.
The question should be which gearless scooter provides you with the best seating comfort. And that is a question only you can answer, or perhaps a doctor/physio can tell after looking at your seating posture on the bike. The point I am trying to make is that no matter how good a vehicle is, if it does't suit your frame, it won't be comfortable. Do long test drives, and decide yourself.
Jaguar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 01:35   #94
BANNED

Quote:
The only thing that now matters is seating comfort. Given the current bikes available; I am interested in the TVS Ntorq or a better but a costlier option - the Aprilia Sr150/Sr125(?).
Look at TVS Jupiter. Haven't ridden the NTorq so I have no idea about it. Jupiter has good ride quality and felt comfortable too when I rode it today for ~30 kms on both good and bad tarmac.

The Jupiter is miles ahead of my Activa 125 where I experience back pain after covering 15-20kms in city traffic whereas in the Jupiter, it was all good even after the 30 kms ride.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 06:31   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Which of the gear less bikes available in the market today have superior comfort and are good enough today to do 50kms daily?
Are the above two bikes good enough to cover 50kms a day without breaking into a sweat?
No scooter can match the ride comfort of a descent 150cc bike. However, if there is incessant stop-and-go traffic you will love the scooter. If the roads are 'well-tarmacked' throughout or most of it, then scooter should be the preferred option.

The 4 scooters that suit your requirement are
TVS Jupiter >> Burgman 125 >> Ntorq 125 >> Access 125.

Here Jupiter and Access are more practical options (head), but if your heart gets a vote you could end up with one of the other two.

Burgman needs to be tested due to 50Km ride per day requirement.

Please Note that if you take scooter out for 3 days a week, you will need a weekly refill as ~150km ride will empty the relatively smaller tank.

Last edited by ampere : 26th April 2019 at 06:50. Reason: cleaned up quoted post
highlander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 08:24   #96
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys! Those are quite a lot of suggestions there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I doubt any of them will match GS150's pliant ride, but they will be easy on the wrist with relative comfort.
That's true. The GS150 is very capable but there's too much traffic and I constantly end up changing gears 1-2-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
And that is a question only you can answer, or perhaps a doctor/physio can tell after looking at your seating posture on the bike.
A very valid input. In fact, I did some study on this myself before I posted this question. I noticed that it is the 2.5kg laptop on my back which is breaking the posture. I am trying to find out some way or the other of mitigating it; but I did notice that this was a major factor contributing to the back pain. The second factor is the frequent need to change gears in the traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Look at TVS Jupiter.
I hadn't thought of the Jupiter, but it seems to be the next practical and logical choice. I had initially thought of the Activa, as I feel it's much better; but now I will try out this one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
Please Note that if you take scooter out for 3 days a week, you will need a weekly refill as ~150km ride will empty the relatively smaller tank.
This one's a pretty good suggestion too. Thanks a lot, I will also have to think of this too. The Burgman is one more scoot which I am interested in, but after owning a Suzuki for the past 9 years, I am more inclined to getting something else. Nevertheless, I will also take this into consideration.

So what I conclude from the discussion is this: Try out these in the order of priority >
  1. Jupiter
  2. Activa
  3. Burgman / Ntorq
  4. Aprilia (last option)
I will try these out and conclude on one.

One last question on this - Even though I want a gear less scoot (the secondary criteria in my requirement), will a 100cc commuter (Splendor, Platina, etc.) work better in this case as compared to a 100cc scoot? Due to maybe a lighter frame and better seats(?)
Old 26th April 2019, 08:30   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Given the current bikes available; I am interested in the TVS Ntorq or a better but a costlier option - the Aprilia Sr150/Sr125(?).
If seating comfort is your primary requirement, then please stay away from both of those options. More so, in case of the Aprilia Twins while the Ntorq would fare better. The Aprilia's are rather stiffly sprung which leads to a bone-jarring riding experience on broken roads. I myself own a 2018 Ntorq & while in comparison to the Aprilia, the ride quality is better - it simply isn't there yet. Add to it the fact the overall heft of the Scooter makes it a difficult proposition to manoeuvre it around in parking or tight spaces as well as putting it on/off the center stand.

Quote:
So two questions -
  1. Which of the gear less bikes available in the market today have superior comfort and are good enough today to do 50kms daily?
  2. Are the above two bikes good enough to cover 50kms a day without breaking into a sweat?
I would highly recommend you take a long test-ride of TVS Jupiter albeit I've to categorically tell you that none of these scooters with 12"/10" tyre set-up, short-travel suspension & often a paltry cushioned seat do a great job of isolating your spine from road undulations. It's definitely not something I did recommend for a 50-kms daily grind but I empathize with your situation. I live in Bangalore, doing a sedentary job

Honda Aviator is another option but that's only if Jupiter fails to strike a chord with you.
Old 26th April 2019, 09:07   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what I conclude from the discussion is this: Try out these in the order of priority >
  1. Jupiter
  2. Activa
  3. Burgman / Ntorq
  4. Aprilia (last option)
I will try these out and conclude on one.
If you are going to try the Jupiter, might as well try the Wego too. Both scooters have the same tech specs, but the Wego seems more comfortable, nimbler and peppier than the Jupiter (at least IMO), and is cheaper too. Century TVS has a dealership near Nal Stop, at the start of Bhandarkar Rd, opposite A.G.Diagnostics.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 26th April 2019 at 09:10.
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 12:46   #99
BHPian

The best thing to do will be to hire a scooter on each of the three office commute days and test them out thoroughly. My first bike was an Unicorn then had the CB Trigger both had excellent suspension setups, but got myself an Access 125, as good as the Access is there is no single day that I haven't regretted selling off the Trigger. The Jupiters, Accesses, Activas are no way near the 150 CC commuter bikes when it comes to riding comfort. I have recently booked a Jawa 42 to get back to bikes, and my brother-in-law's story is in similar lines Hero Passion->Unicorn->Jupiter->now to CB Shine SP.

But if you need to buy a scooter I would suggest 1. Jupiter/Wego 2. Access/ Burgman in that order, had previously booked the Aprilia when it was launched but had to cancel it as I found the suspension to be too stiff while the lack of seating space and legroom were the other reasons. Just my two cents!
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 13:12   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A very valid input. In fact, I did some study on this myself before I posted this question. I noticed that it is the 2.5kg laptop on my back which is breaking the posture. I am trying to find out some way or the other of mitigating it;
One last question on this - Even though I want a gear less scoot (the secondary criteria in my requirement), will a 100cc commuter (Splendor, Platina, etc.) work better in this case as compared to a 100cc scoot? Due to maybe a lighter frame and better seats(?)
Firstly, no scooter can match the comfort a bike with 17/18 inch tyres.
Among the ones listed by others, Jupiter/Wego are miles ahead in terms of comfort even after continuous riding in traffic. If comfort is the prime concern, stay away from Activa 4g/5g/Xg, they are not worth even for a test ride.

A 100cc Platina comfortec(segment best in ride quality) would still be less comfortable compared to the GS150 or any other vehicle with a little heft.
If the heart still vows for a geared 2-wheeler upgrade to a Himalayan/Thunderbird 350 or Avenger 220. The torque will ensure that you deal with lesser gear shifts comparatively.

W.r.t the laptop bag. I found that loosening the shoulder straps just a little might help. Ensure that the bottom of the bag rests on the seat without causing stress to your shoulders. Heavy backpacks are usually the cause for upper back pain.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2019, 13:45   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact, I did some study on this myself before I posted this question. I noticed that it is the 2.5kg laptop on my back which is breaking the posture.
Please move away your shoulder/back pressure by tying your backpack with help of Bungee cords. If you are using OEM laptop bag, have a look at alternatives like this.

Quote:
The second factor is the frequent need to change gears in the traffic.
Please change to new clutch cable, oil and lubricate chain at regular intervals to see if that eases effort in changing gears.
Please make these changes before committing to a scooter purchase, unless you are bored with GS150R and need a change anyways.

Comfort of riding a bike (across length of city) is far more than scooter. BHPian 'ani_meher' has had long-term ownership of GS150R and another Pune BHPian has moved from scooter to bike for his daily K2K commute.

Quote:
I had initially thought of the Activa, as I feel it's much better; but now I will try out this one too.
I never felt comfortable on activa suspension, TVS Jupiter/Wego suspension is far better.

Quote:
Even though I want a gear less scoot (the secondary criteria in my requirement), will a 100cc commuter (Splendor, Platina, etc.) work better in this case as compared to a 100cc scoot? Due to maybe a lighter frame and better seats(?)
I guess BHPian 'neoonwheels' would be better person to answer this as he switches between 100cc bike and scooter for his daily commutes.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2019, 10:45   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabrez View Post
If seating comfort is your primary requirement, then please stay away from both of those options.
True... As an experiment I used an Activa yesterday to cover those 50kms and I can say that it was not a very comfortable journey. Even though the backpack was on the footboard, I discovered another problem. With my height of 5' 10" I found the posture wrong again. It was like squatting down and thus after some time the lower back started complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
. Ensure that the bottom of the bag rests on the seat without causing stress to your shoulders. Heavy backpacks are usually the cause for upper back pain.
This is precisely what I thought about doing last night. I will do that on Monday using my GS150R. And, you guessed right, the pain is more on the upper back side when the backpack is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Please move away your shoulder/back pressure by tying your backpack with help of
Thanks! I will try these backpack strapping options as you have suggested.
Old 27th April 2019, 12:43   #103
Senior - BHPian

2.5kg backpack is too much. Perhaps look at bags like viaterra raptor that have inbuilt bungee cords.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks