Team-BHP - RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/113632-re-classic-chrome-500-12-500kms-done-maroon-marauder-thumps-home-9.html)

Puncture Update ( 1400kms, 25 March, 2012)

I went for nearly 200kms ride with Wanderers ( Bulleteers of Hyderabad).

While returning back, I suddenly felt a wobble and within 10 meters I knew the rear tyre has punctured.

Thanks to fellow riders who removed the wheel and helped me take to a puncture shop which was luckily only 1km away. To my utter shock, there was a huge ( really huge) nail that went into the tyre.

Tube got ripped to a bad extent

It was sunday afternoon and only one shop and desperate. So i got a Pulsar's tube affixed into tyre which apparently is the only other bike's tube that fits a Bullet.

Will use that tube for some more kms and then change it back to the original RE attested tube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2727687)

I went for nearly 200kms ride with Wanderers ( Bulleteers of Hyderabad).

While returning back, I suddenly felt a wobble and within 10 meters I knew the rear tyre has punctured.

Thanks to fellow riders who removed the wheel and helped me take to a puncture shop which was luckily only 1km away. To my utter shock, there was a huge ( really huge) nail that went into the tyre.

Tube got ripped to a bad extent

It was sunday afternoon and only one shop and desperate. So i got a Pulsar's tube affixed into tyre which apparently is the only other bike's tube that fits a Bullet.

Will use that tube for some more kms and then change it back to the original RE attested tube.

oops thats really bad, puncture is really troublesome and that on enfield.
its good that you had company to help you out. there should be some solution or gel like solution or tubed tyres as well just like tubeless :)

Avi, Quick question.
Do you feel any vibrations through the handle bar on exceeding speeds > 80?
Also, do you have any problems in using the elctric starter in Neutral.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2724667)
Make and Model : Vega Boolean

Price : Rs. 2400

Nice! I have the same Helmet, got it for Rs.2000 in Mumbai last year. The chrome effect tends to tarnish after a bit though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToroRosso (Post 2738247)
Avi, Quick question.
Do you feel any vibrations through the handle bar on exceeding speeds > 80?
Also, do you have any problems in using the elctric starter in Neutral.

Thanks

Thats a good point that you brought up

1. For the first time couple of weeks ago tried hitting 100kmph and it was not a very pleasant experience. 100kmph felt really fast and as you mentioned there were some vibrations as well. However, what zapped me was fellow bull riders on very older electra's or standards zoomed away and they were doing easily 120kmph. I reckon this vibration is due to bike being new and perhaps, this vibration will go away after some kms are on the clock

2. Once in a while, when bike is in neutral I thumb the electric starter and nothing happens. So I release the clutch and try again and it starts. I thought it was weird but, didnt give it much thought then. Btw, i never had to do it more than twice for bike to start.

Electric start during most times works like a charm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2727687)

Hey Avi, why not use Slime? It will ensure you dont get stranded due to flat tires and all you will need to do is top up air to the recommended pressure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2741322)
Hey Avi, why not use Slime? It will ensure you dont get stranded due to flat tires and all you will need to do is top up air to the recommended pressure.

Does Slime work well with tubed tyers? I am considering slime treatment for my bull too but have read mixed reviews about the same on internet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puneet.S (Post 2741329)
Does Slime work well with tubed tyers? I am considering slime treatment for my bull too but have read mixed reviews about the same on internet.

I dont have personal experience with Slime but it is designed to work with tube type tires too. See this. I am also thinking of using this in my commuter bike.

Speedworks in Chennai used to be a dealer/distributor for Slime products but their product / services list (above link, left hand pane) has no listing for Slime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_aditya (Post 2741343)
I dont have personal experience with Slime but it is designed to work with tube type tires too. See this. I am also thinking of using this in my commuter bike.

Speedworks in Chennai used to be a dealer/distributor for Slime products but their product / services list (above link, left hand pane) has no listing for Slime.

There is a slime dealer in Delhi too. I guess i'll pay them a visit and find out more about the practical utility of Slime for tubed tyres. :)

Never ever used slime in any of the bikes that I owned so really dont know what to expect from them. Will find out more on it soon.

Been out of the country so havent ridden much last few weeks

2nd Service Update

Dropped the bike off @1700kms on odo last saturday with almost no complaints. Due to RE service center not servicing on saturdays I picked up the bike on Monday evening.

In this service they didnt change oil

Total Damages : Rs 50

When I asked a query to Purushottam about the bike vibrating at 100kmph or above. He simply answered de-clutch and see the difference

De-clutch according to him means, press the clutch and leave it and vibrations go away.

Has anyone tried this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puneet.S (Post 2741329)

I've read the following on the website "Tubes treated with Slime can be patched with a conventional vulcanized patch using a bit of patience and care!"

This made me wonder, how many Puncture Guys know how to work on it with patience and care. How do we do it safely?

mobike008

Pulling in or de-clutching will just allow the engine to temporarily slow down out of its resonant speed and I think Purushottam was suggesting this only to show that the motorcycle isn't doing the vibrating, the engine is.

A big single cylinder engine is inherently out of balance at certain speeds.
The balancing material removed from the flywheels to offset the weight of the piston and connecting rod is calculated to produce the smoothest running at lower speeds where the engine is likely to be used the most.

My UCE G5 is amazingly smooth up to a speed of 55 mph (89 kmph). I can ride for hours at that speed with no discomfort at all.**
At 60 mph (97 kmph) the foot pegs start to vibrate. It is noticable but not annoying.
At 65 mph (105 kmph) the foot pegs vibrate very noticeably.
At 70 mph (113 kmph) the foot pegs vibration stays about the same but the handlebars start to vibrate.
At 75 mph (121 kmph) the vibration in both the foot pegs and the handlebars seems to become slightly less.
At 80 mph (129 kmph) the vibration seems to be a little less but the throttle is fully open and I don't like to run my engine maxed out.
The wind buffeting at 80 mph is also getting quite noticeable because the sitting up riding position that is so comfortable at lower speeds exposes a lot of my body to the wind blast.
Because of the almost maxed out engine throttle and the wind buffeting I usually don't ride at 80 mph.

I knew when I bought my G5 that it is not a crotch rocket and it was designed for the speeds that were common back in the 1950's. At that time if one was traveling at 60mph they thought they were moving along at a very good clip. After all, it was a mile per minute!:eek:

With this in mind I choose to ride on roads where 60 mph (97 kmph) is the speed limit and do most of my riding between 58 mph and 62 mph.
The bike is happy and will run for hours at those speeds and I'm happy and can take an occasional glance at the countryside that's flying past me. :)

** I had a 1971 Honda CX500 V twin with a water cooled V twin that looked like a Moto Guzzi that should have been very smooth but at 60 mph the foot pegs and handle bars vibrated so severely that it would put my feet, hands and arms "to sleep" after only 20 minutes.
It was most uncomfortable and the Royal Enfield is far better. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 2758223)
My UCE G5 is amazingly smooth up to a speed of 55 mph (89 kmph). I can ride for hours at that speed with no discomfort at all.**
At 60 mph (97 kmph) the foot pegs start to vibrate. It is noticable but not annoying.
At 65 mph (105 kmph) the foot pegs vibrate very noticeably.
At 70 mph (113 kmph) the foot pegs vibration stays about the same but the handlebars start to vibrate.
At 75 mph (121 kmph) the vibration in both the foot pegs and the handlebars seems to become slightly less.
At 80 mph (129 kmph) the vibration seems to be a little less but the throttle is fully open and I don't like to run my engine maxed out.
The wind buffeting at 80 mph is also getting quite noticeable because the sitting up riding position that is so comfortable at lower speeds exposes a lot of my body to the wind blast.
Because of the almost maxed out engine throttle and the wind buffeting I usually don't ride at 80 mph.

Jim, thanks for the wonderfully detailed explanation. It's almost like now I know how your bike behaves at each of those speeds.

Unfortunately, I havent observed my bike's behaviour as thoroughly. Now after reading your blow by blow details, I am inspired to read it equally well.

Since my bike is brand new and has only 1800kms on it till now. Do you think that I should wait for it to log in more kms before I should expect the vibrations to go away? Currently, at 100kmph its not a very happy feeling as there is lot of vibrations and bike feels its maxed out and will not go beyond this speed.

P.S: Btw, are you an american or an indian residing in america? Just curious to know, nothing else. Your posts are truly informative and you seem to know a lot of RE and very passionate about it too:)

As you may have noticed during the break in process putting additional km's on it does tend to make it smooth out some but most of the vibration is due to the laws of physics.

During the break in period our minds are constantly identifying new sensations and when something new like a increase in vibration happens we take special note of it.
I believe riding the bike a lot while it is in one of these vibrating speeds causes the mind to finally get accustomed to it.
In this new frame of mind we decide, "No problem! Ride on and enjoy! :) "

I am an American of German and English mix.
My Great Grandfather on my fathers side came from Germany around 1870.
My mothers family tree runs clear back to the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Mass. with the second group from England in 1621.

My love for motorcycles goes back to my early College years and I've always liked all of the British motorcycles. This makes the Royal Enfield a natural choice for me.
In my youth I helped older guys build hot rods and repair all sorts of motor vehicles.
My college hours are primarily in mechanical design and secondary education.
During my working years I was a Tool/Machine designer, Quality Assurance Engineer and Design Engineer.
I spent the last part of my career as the Principle Designer for the Auxiliary Power Units carried on the Boeing 757, 767, 777 and the Airbus A320, A330 and A340.
These are small 700-1300+ hp turbine engines used to supply electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic power for the aircraft when the main engines are not running.
They also serve as regular and emergency starters for the aircraft's main engines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 2764972)
I am an American of German and English mix.
My Great Grandfather on my fathers side came from Germany around 1870.
My mothers family tree runs clear back to the Pilgrims who landed at Plymouth Mass. with the second group from England in 1621.

My love for motorcycles goes back to my early College years and I've always liked all of the British motorcycles. This makes the Royal Enfield a natural choice for me.
In my youth I helped older guys build hot rods and repair all sorts of motor vehicles.
My college hours are primarily in mechanical design and secondary education.
During my working years I was a Tool/Machine designer, Quality Assurance Engineer and Design Engineer.
I spent the last part of my career as the Principle Designer for the Auxiliary Power Units carried on the Boeing 757, 767, 777 and the Airbus A320, A330 and A340.
These are small 700-1300+ hp turbine engines used to supply electrical, pneumatic and hydraulic power for the aircraft when the main engines are not running.
They also serve as regular and emergency starters for the aircraft's main engines.

Wow! Thats some background and now i know why you have so much engineering knowledge as you worked on the biggest of engines that is possible ( airplanes):)

Btw, I dont know if i mentioned before a very close pal of mine lives in Chandler, AZ

I visited Boeing city (Seattle) a couple of weeks back. A photoblog of it is here :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-work-fun.html

Been busy at work so not getting time to update the photoblog but, will be doing so and try to complete it by this weekend