Team-BHP - RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/113632-re-classic-chrome-500-12-500kms-done-maroon-marauder-thumps-home-13.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viju (Post 3016850)
but is your speedometer working? If it is not working, then your cable is probably broken. Used to happen once in a while on my then new AVL Machismo way back in 2000. If the speedo is working and the odo is not, I would suspect that there is something wrong with the meter.

Very valid question. Come to think of it, I didnt notice if speedo is working. Will check it in the evening and report back.

In anycase, the speedo cable or meter going kaput so early in the ownership stage is a bit strange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3017062)
Very valid question. Come to think of it, I didnt notice if speedo is working. Will check it in the evening and report back.

In anycase, the speedo cable or meter going kaput so early in the ownership stage is a bit strange.

My speedo cable stopped working at around 5k kms too. Theres something like a pin at the end of the wire at the wheel end, which sometimes breaks. The cable will have to be changed. It's a minor fix though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viju (Post 3016850)
Hi mobike008, it may be a stupid question to ask - but is your speedometer working? If it is not working, then your cable is probably broken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by enfield_500 (Post 3017615)
My speedo cable stopped working at around 5k kms too. Theres something like a pin at the end of the wire at the wheel end, which sometimes breaks. The cable will have to be changed. It's a minor fix though.

+1 Enfield_500. Your guess is spot on.

I visited Kay Jee Engineers this morning and approached a busy Mr.Purushottam who like always dropped everything on hand and came straight with me to my bike and listened to my problem.

I told him suddenly the "speedometer" & "odometer" both have stopped working. He bent down and checked the speedo cable and as you rightly mentioned the at the end of the cable that he said was broken and the cable has to be replaced.

He mentioned, he doesnt have the cable ready and asked me to re-visit on saturday morning when he can replace it within 10 minutes and cost of the same will be Rs.110

His parting statement " Till then RIDE HARD":thumbs up

Purshottam is one awesome guy and over the last one year, he has been resolving issues at an alarmingly fast pace and his jovial style of talking makes even the serious matter seems to miniscule. Kudos to him !!!

IMO, if the speedometer needle is reflecting the speed correctly, the fault is in the speedometer.

If the needle is not moving while the motorcycle is underway the problem is either with the drive cable or with the drive gearbox on the front wheel.

Both ends of the inner, rotating cable have a square shape that connects to a square hole, one in the bottom of the speedometer and one that connects with the drive gearbox.

The inner cable is easily removed by loosening the knurled nut at the gearbox on the front wheel.
Pulling the outer cable sheath back a bit will reveal the inner cable. Once this is done the cable can be pulled out for examination.
If it is in one piece with both square drives showing, now is the time to lubricate it.
(A lack of lubrication is a common reason for both a failure of the cable or a failure of the drive gearbox).

One should not use a heavy grease to lubricate this inner cable. Some like a graphite lube or a very soft grease. I've had good luck with petroleum jelly, the white grease used on injuries and available at many drug stores.

If the cable is broken, obviously it needs to be replaced and I believe the one supplied by Royal Enfield is only sold as a assembly consisting of both the outer and inner cable. This assembly is not greased to my satisfaction so if this part is purchased it should be greased as mentioned above.

If the cable proves to be all right, before reassembling it, the front wheel needs to be raised up off of the ground.
Turning the front wheel in a 'forward' direction you should be able to see the inner square drive in the wheels drive gearbox rotate. If it does not turn while the wheel is turning there are two possible reasons.
First, the gearbox is broken and needs to be replaced.
A second reason is if the front wheel has been removed for any reason like fixing a flat, and it was not replaced properly with the speedometer drive gearbox engaging the tabs on the front hub, it will not turn while the wheel is turning.
Properly engaging the tabs by removing and reinstalling the front wheel should fix it.

If this is done, it is best to check the drive gearbox to make sure that the output is rotating when the wheel is rotating.

If only the inner cable was removed and greased, getting the speedometer cable back in can be frustrating.
Rotate the inner cable as you push it back up into the outer sheath.
When it is almost in place, you will have to have good luck because the square drive on the cable must align with the square drive hole in the speedometer.
I've had to rotate the inner cable slightly and retry to get it engaged for over 5 minutes but eventually, success will come and it will slide up into the sheath like it was meant to.

When inserting the lower square end into the drive gearbox, don't forget, it too must be rotated to align with the square hole.
Also, do NOT over-tighten the knurled nut that holds the cable to the gearbox.
It only needs to be tightened until it stops turning by hand. Then just another 1/8 turn and its done.

Edit: The answer was given while I was typing this. I'll leave it in place with the hope that it might help others.
In the meantime, especially in India where there is a lot of rain and humidity you should all make an effort to either lubricate the cable yourself or to be sure to ask your mechanic to do it the next time you have your bike into the shop. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3017776)
IMO, if the speedometer needle is reflecting the speed correctly, the fault is in the speedometer.

If the needle is not moving while the motorcycle is underway the problem is either with the drive cable or with the drive gearbox on the front wheel.

ArizonaJim, I would like to thank you for your detailed and informative posts. I, for one, have learnt a lot from your posts (especially in the Classic 500 threas). :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3017776)
IMO, if the speedometer needle is reflecting the speed correctly, the fault is in the speedometer...

Edit: The answer was given while I was typing this. I'll leave it in place with the hope that it might help others.
In the meantime, especially in India where there is a lot of rain and humidity you should all make an effort to either lubricate the cable yourself or to be sure to ask your mechanic to do it the next time you have your bike into the shop. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by enfield_500 (Post 3018199)
ArizonaJim, I would like to thank you for your detailed and informative posts. I, for one, have learnt a lot from your posts (especially in the Classic 500 threas). :thumbs up

I agree, completely with enfield_500. ArizonaJim any plans to visit India? You will have a lot of people to show you around, and may be hold classes for RE A.S.S. :)
Regards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insearch (Post 3018387)
I agree, completely with enfield_500. ArizonaJim any plans to visit India? You will have a lot of people to show you around, and may be hold classes for RE A.S.S. :)
Regards.

No. I thank you all for the invitation though.

Although I would love to visit India, I avoid long distance air travel like the plague. :eek:

I'll just continue to ride my Royal Enfield and to think of you fine people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insearch (Post 3018387)
I agree, completely with enfield_500. ArizonaJim any plans to visit India? You will have a lot of people to show you around, and may be hold classes for RE A.S.S.
Regards.

I too concur with Enfield_500 and Insearch.

ArizonaJim, Your posts are like a whiff of fresh air and loaded with information. I must also commend your patience to explain things in so detail

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3018550)
No. I thank you all for the invitation though.

Although I would love to visit India, I avoid long distance air travel like the plague.

I'll just continue to ride my Royal Enfield and to think of you fine people.

I ride with a couple of American Nationals in Hyderabad who work at the US embassy and their love for the BULL is on the same lines as you.

Iam sure riding the bullet in the open inviting roads of Arizona State is much more exciting than the crowded cities of India:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3018550)
...I avoid long distance air travel like the plague.

Jim, didn't you used to design them thingies that made long distance air travel possible? lol:

Cheers,
Rahul

I called Purshuttom first thing on Saturday morning and he said they received some stock and said will call me back in 30 minutes after checking if they received it.

He promptly calls and apologizes that only some tanks and other miscellenous has been received. If i am in a hurry, He gave me the model number and asked me to source it from RE authorized spare parts store at Ramkote ( Motorcycle spare parts haven) which is just 2kms from home.

I did exactly that and got it from RE store for Rs.105 and installed by a mechanic right next door for Rs.30

Mechanic mentioned, the speedo cable is getting conked off for lot of RE bikes. He said, he fixed 3 bikes for same problem just a day before. One of the bike was brand new and had done just 800kms and speedo cable broke and he returned again after 800kms for yet another replacement

Wheww..That ways, i am lucky mine went kaput at 5000kms.

Anyways, long story short. Maroon Marauder is back to its good 'ol thumping ways:thumbs up

I have a small issue (not sure if i can even call that). When I am starting my Classic, I normally wait for the engine light to disappear before thumbing in the starter button.

Since couple of days noticing that, when i thumb the button, the engine light flickers for a wee bit of moment and then disappears

Is it something I should be worried about?

Btw, On Jan 26th, rode with Wanderers for the Republic Day Ride. I was leading the group of 40+ Bulleteers for a 50+kms city-ride where we shook up the city with our collective thunderous roar:)

It was nice of INSEARCH to join this ride and I hope he enjoyed the ride

Some pictures from this ride meet. Sorry for quality of pictures as they all are from my blackberry and as you may know they aren't particularly known for their cameras:D

P.S: There was another short ride last sunday, will post some snaps from that shortly. Keep tuned

Yours Truly trying out a foot-rest pose

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600395.jpg

Insearch's bike on the far-left

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600394.jpg

A couple of pictures from the ride

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600387.jpg

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600389_1.jpg

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600397.jpg

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600389.jpg

Group Picture
RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-img2013012600399.jpg

A couple of weeks ago, some of the BHPians went for a short-ride to a beautiful lake just outside Hyderabad ( about 50kms).

Some came on bulls and other bikes (including a kwacker) and a few in cars

Here are a few snaps from that ride :-

Mr. Pandey, You Indeed have a Drool worthy Bike !!
It indeed looks very well kept and the helmet goes well with it :)

I chanced upon this thread while reading the other thread which is about the RD box, and now I was confused where to place the post !!

Had a few of questions :

I really like the work you have got done on the exhaust. Would the garage owner be willing to ship this, or would it make more sense for me to have it picked up by someone who is visiting me from Hyd? Normally how long does he take to make one? Has this also been tested on CI's? Would there be a reason for it to not work with them? And could you share the cost if its OK ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NMS (Post 3095092)
Had a few of questions :

I really like the work you have got done on the exhaust. Would the garage owner be willing to ship this, or would it make more sense for me to have it picked up by someone who is visiting me from Hyd? Normally how long does he take to make one? Has this also been tested on CI's? Would there be a reason for it to not work with them? And could you share the cost if its OK ?

Thanks for the compliment. It indeed turns a lot of head whenever I take her out on a ride and with that customized helmet it leaves many people gaping :D

Exhaust work was done by a small independent mechanic and same exhaust has been fitted to alteast five-six 500cc bulls in our riding group. It has a classy, very deep bassy thump and with throttle down it makes a nice gurgling sound and with throttle open it can scare the pants of even a steely nerved fella:)

Basically, a classy sound and not shrill scream which makes it loud and cheap sounding

With regards to being tested on a CI bullet, I have no clue. Iam sure he must have fitted as he is an expert in these type of work for Bullets

You neednt even give any measurements as he knows exactly what you want when you ask him for an exhaust for a 500cc (EFI) bullet

Price Paid : Rs.2600

Contact Name : Zameer

Contact Number : +91-98490 79276

I'd suggest you speak (Hindi) to him directly and check out your options

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3095116)
Thanks for the compliment. It indeed turns a lot of head whenever I take her out on a ride and with that customized helmet it leaves many people gaping

Dont be surprised if you soon see one inspired by yours in Pune ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3095116)
It has a classy, very deep bassy thump and with throttle down it makes a nice gurgling sound and with throttle open it can scare the pants of even a steely nerved fella

Basically, a classy sound and not shrill scream which makes it loud and cheap sounding

Contact Name : Zameer

Contact Number : +91-98490 79276

I'd suggest you speak (Hindi) to him directly and check out your options

Perfect,

That's how I like the exhaust note to be.

This is all the information I needed. Thanks once again !!