Team-BHP - RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/113632-re-classic-chrome-500-12-500kms-done-maroon-marauder-thumps-home-20.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecosport rules (Post 3435476)
Congratulations Avi, I experienced a similar situation on the highway.I can understand what you mean.

Thanks. Dont you feel like pulling over immediately and taking a snap? I have done that plenty of times with WA too:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majumdarda (Post 3435441)
Congratulations Avinash da. Just wondering, in order to capture this perfect moment, where you were? I remember, to capture a certain even number I had stopped right at the middle of an intersection in peak traffic flow, with a traffic constable in close vicinity.Obviously its not advisable for others to follow , but sometimes, in madness there is satisfaction :uncontrol

Thanks Majumdarda, You are spot on with your point. I was at a busy intersection myself and had to practically stop the traffic for a quick 1-sec click.

People were gaping at me as if I was out of my mind (maybe I was at that point) but, couldnt let that 0 at far right move out which it does very quickly

To celebrate 10,000kms I decided to gift MM a new rear tyre as stock was iffy right from day I purchased and had gone through some 4-5 punctures till date in this 10K kms journey

Was recommended Michelin Sirac by many folks but, I understand they dont come in same size as C500 so decided to follow suit the recommendation of Insearch who got same tyre (Michelin M45) on his TB500 and was very happy with its result compared to stock tyre

Got it fixed at store recommended by him "Gruha Krupa Tyres" at Panjagutta X Roads and costed me Rs.3,500 for rear tyre and new tube was thrown into this price

Initial Feedback after riding for about 100kms

1. Bike feels back-end heavy

2. Since these are not stock tyres but, an upsize and taller. I felt like iam sitting really tall

3. I was bit uncomfortable for first 20-30kms due to overall heaviness

4. After riding for 100kms the bike feels lot better and there seems to better traction and handling seems to have improved considerably

Iam hoping the ride gets better as the tyres break-in

P.S: Btw, is there any special way to break-in new tyres? Funnily, owner asked me? Are you going for racing immediately? rl:...I was like no why?

He said I can make out from bike and person whether they ride daily or are casual riders. I said, no i dont race. He said, even if you do. please do after 400-500kms and wait for tyres to break in till then ride gently

;)Avi did you try the break in procedure I have detailed on the whatsapp group?

Nice tyre pattern BTW.
Wish you many more happy miles.

is that M45 available in bangalore?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollywoodhogan (Post 3435845)
is that M45 available in bangalore?

Yes buddy, these Michelin M45's should be available at any tyre dealer or to be specific the ones that mainly deal with bikes/scooters.

The tyre installed by Mobike008 is 4.00x18 or 110/90 x 18. You can find them being used mostly by Pulsar and Karizma owners.

Since then I have been using the BULL almost daily and infact also a couple of times to work (forced to actually as my Cruze was at service station twice for rat-eating abs sensor wires issue:D)

Initially as reported, bike felt back-heavy and was not handling as well as I was expecting it too but, after riding for almost 350kms since installing the tyres, I feel the bike handles quite well and there is a marked improvement over the stock tyres. Perhaps the effect of tyres breaking-in ( a concept i still havent understood thoroughly)

I think the Michelin has already started showing its FE friendly nature as after a long time it returned an FE of 24kmpl which may not be much but, lot better than consistent 22kmpl it was returning in city:uncontrol

I am now planning to "RIDE" to work atleast one day of week which is a 55kms overall ride.

Hi Mobike- a coupe of Qs

1. Any issues with the new exhuast in the long run? I read your earlier feedback, just curious how things are 1.5 yrs down - Is the warranty void if ou install the after market product, any impact on engine picup mileage etc, did the service center guys frown upon this

2. I woud appreciate if you could share some details on the rides that you plan, just reignited my passion for riding after a 4 year break - lots of catching up to do :)

PS: amazing read your theard has been.... and admire your passion for doing justice (10k) to the bull with a Triumph in the mix

@mobike008, Glad to know that you were able to source a Michelin M45. It's a very good tyre. Excellent grip levels and very good for cornering too. I replaced the stock tyres on my CBZ Extreme with M45 on the front and Sirac Street on the rear. I had a tough time sourcing M45 about 3 year's ago when the production of it had apparently stopped owing to some regulation issues. I've been a happy biker ever since.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishalrr (Post 3444636)
Hi Mobike- a coupe of Qs

1. Any issues with the new exhuast in the long run? I read your earlier feedback, just curious how things are 1.5 yrs down - Is the warranty void if ou install the after market product, any impact on engine picup mileage etc, did the service center guys frown upon this

2. I woud appreciate if you could share some details on the rides that you plan, just reignited my passion for riding after a 4 year break - lots of catching up to do

Hi Vishal

Here is my response to your queries :-

1. I have had the exhaust now for close to 1.5 years and it has been an amazing journey. It has added that needed punch to stock exhaust note which was relatively mild. There has been zero issues related to exhaust or its effect on the engine in negative sense

However, the exhuast isnt as loud, bassy or boomy as when it was new. I would say its decibel level has decreased by around 30% of what it used to be. But, I have no complaints, it can still boom the senses out of some good ears:D

I have race dynamics ECU so pick up is better than stock engine but, I would not attribute better pick up to exhaust

RE Service guys never frown upon after market exhausts infact, they themselve try to push for up-swept exhuast and infact, some even approached me offline for other after market exhuast which I understand is their side income.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vishalrr (Post 3444636)
PS: amazing read your theard has been.... and admire your passion for doing justice (10k) to the bull with a Triumph in the mix

Thanks. I like being on the road:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaka46 (Post 3444835)
@mobike008, Glad to know that you were able to source a Michelin M45. It's a very good tyre. Excellent grip levels and very good for cornering too. I replaced the stock tyres on my CBZ Extreme with M45 on the front and Sirac Street on the rear. I had a tough time sourcing M45 about 3 year's ago when the production of it had apparently stopped owing to some regulation issues. I've been a happy biker ever since.

I never knew that sourcing Michelin M45 was such a big difficulty. I was recommended this tyre and store by a fellow BHPian and i got it fixed.

Iam slowly appreciating the differences these tyres are making. It's still 300kms only after installing them. Will know more as i ride more but, marked improvement from stock ones for sure

There was something weird that happened the other day

I took my BULL out and was waiting at a traffic signal. I could smell strong petrol. I bend down and see there is a light continous drip of petrol on the left side from the pipe connecting the engine just above the battery case

I panicked and stopped at the curb to check the pipe and see if any cuts to pipe. There was none. I decide to head to a mechanic and as I start bike and head out, drip stopped on its own and hasnt reappeared in couple of days

Btw, tank was not full of petrol. Although I always top-up the tank but, this was after running the bike after almost 80-90kms post tank-up

Freaky isn't it? I love these quirky and can happen only with a bullet issues:uncontrol

The problem may be the hose but it is more likely that the clamp which secures the hose to the fuel pump outlet is slightly loose. This has occurred on a number of the fuel injected Royal Enfields.

The fuel pressure in that hose, between the pump and the fuel injector is about 2.9 bar (42 psi) so the slightest looseness can cause a small leak.

It is easily fixed by simply using a straight bladed screw driver to tighten the clamp.
It doesn't take a lot of tightening to solve the problem and over-tightening the clamp can cause severe damage to the fuel pump outlet.

Be careful when tightening the clamp. Do not push excessively hard against the fuel pump outlet.
The pump outlet is made of plastic and if it breaks off the only fix is to buy a very expensive replacement fuel pump. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3447432)
Be careful when tightening the clamp. Do not push excessively hard against the fuel pump outlet.
The pump outlet is made of plastic and if it breaks off the only fix is to buy a very expensive replacement fuel pump.

Thanks for your inputs Jim. It's always a pleasure to read your posts as it contains such informative content:thumbs up

I was not aware that if breakage of pump outlet means only replacement. whew !

Took a couple of hurried snaps via. mobile this morning. Do you think its after an issue with the pipe itself as i see a very faint rip on it?

On a sidenote, as you can see from below the seat area, there is no rust yet on my gleaming 30 month old bullclap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3435739)
Was recommended Michelin Sirac by many folks but, I understand they dont come in same size as C500 so decided to follow suit the recommendation of Insearch who got same tyre (Michelin M45) on his TB500 and was very happy with its result compared to stock tyre

Got it fixed at store recommended by him "Gruha Krupa Tyres" at Panjagutta X Roads and costed me Rs.3,500 for rear tyre and new tube was thrown into this price

:Shockked:From where did you buy the M45?Its a very rare tyre.Consider yourself lucky for getting it.Its the most sought out tyre.I myself was hunting for one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3447792)
i see a very faint rip on it?

The owner's manual of Classic 500 and Thunderbird 500 stipulates replacement of fuel hose and clip at 12 k km service although no time limit was specified for paid services. While my Thunderbird 500's fuel hose and clip are still intact at 10 k km, my son changed his Classic 500's a few months back.

RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!-fuelhose.jpg

Quote:

30 month old bull
I think it's time for replacement. :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3447432)
The problem may be the hose but it is more likely that the clamp which secures the hose to the fuel pump outlet is slightly loose. This has occurred on a number of the fuel injected Royal Enfields.

Someone i know had half of his CL500 burnt on the move due to this leak.
Fuel started dripping on the battery terminal while on the move,which triggered a fire.The rider survived without any burn injuries.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakesh_r (Post 3447860)
From where did you buy the M45?Its a very rare tyre.Consider yourself lucky for getting it.Its the most sought out tyre.I myself was hunting for one.

My, My. I never knew M45 is so much sought after. Iam poor in knowledge of bike tyres as all my focus and attention in past went on car tyres

Now I feel really warm inside with my decision :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.Ravi (Post 3447863)
While my Thunderbird 500's fuel hose and clip are still intact at 10 k km, my son changed his Classic 500's a few months back. I think it's time for replacement.

Thanks Ravi Sir. I think who else but you who crunches so many miles on the bull would know so well about the replacement part intervals

I reckon, its at end of its life and will get it replaced soon:thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by akshay4587 (Post 3447905)
Someone i know had half of his CL500 burnt on the move due to this leak. Fuel started dripping on the battery terminal while on the move,which triggered a fire.The rider survived without any burn injuries.

Akshay, this was exactly the thought that came to my mind. Hence, I stopped on curb in a panic mode. Iam shocked to know that something of that sort has already happened to someone elsewhere...Whew!

Infact, I took a U-turn back towards home and almost nearing home i realized the drip has stopped so turned back and went on riding to the work that I was supposed to complete ( nothing happened after that)....Made me look stupid...lol !