Team-BHP - RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/113632-re-classic-chrome-500-12-500kms-done-maroon-marauder-thumps-home-24.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 3510043)
Some one over tightened the suppressor cap. The real problem is that you cannot get the suppressor cap alone as a spare part:Frustrati. My motorcycle also has a slight crack on the suppressor cap (happened right before my eyes - the mechanic tightened the nut with a T spanner and there was a 'tak' sound). Was very worried then and went to the spares for a replacement and got the answer that it comes along with the bend pipe and costs somewhere above 2.5k. However there are no problems up to this date.
regards adrian

Are you sure its a crack? To me it looks like the flange and the imitation (plastic) heat sink ring are two separate pieces and the heat sink rink is just not sitting flush within the flange at the point circled. I could be wrong if indeed the whole thing is a single piece ....

P.S. What's a suppressor cap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3510129)
Are you sure its a crack? To me it looks like the flange and the imitation (plastic) heat sink ring are two separate pieces and the heat sink rink is just not sitting flush within the flange at the point circled. I could be wrong if indeed the whole thing is a single piece ....

Doc, the whole thing is metal and is a single piece. By suppressor cap I mean the heat sink itself.
regards adrian

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 3510141)
Doc, the whole thing is metal and is a single piece. By suppressor cap I mean the heat sink itself.
regards adrian

Thanks Adrian. The reason I said "imitation" is because a proper heat sink rink would never be painted like this one is. It would be raw metal to aid heat transfer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3510145)
Thanks Adrian. The reason I said "imitation" is because a proper heat sink rink would never be painted like this one is. It would be raw metal to aid heat transfer.

Doc, the heat sink in the UCEs are painted with same material used on the cooling fins and the whole unit at the joints is very brittle. The RE guys at the workshop remarked that heat sink is not weldable when I asked them if I could rejoin the crack using gas welding. What beats me is the way they joined the heat sink to the flange to make it a single unit.
regards adrian

Quote:

Originally Posted by adrian (Post 3510156)
Doc, the heat sink in the UCEs are painted with same material used on the cooling fins and the whole unit at the joints is very brittle. The RE guys at the workshop remarked that heat sink is not weldable when I asked them if I could rejoin the crack using gas welding. What beats me is the way they joined the heat sink to the flange to make it a single unit.
regards adrian

You can try aluminum welding. Then grind it clean. That should work.

Seems to me that the bend pipe is under a lot of stress as there is gap on one side between the pipe and the flange where as the other side is closely hugging the flange. So doubt if the welding will work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebonho (Post 3510129)

When doc asked me this question, I was wondering from where it entered my mind to call the flange and heat sink union as "suppressor cap". Actually it drove me crazy since I was sure I read it some where and I couldn't find the source:). Went home and browsed the UCE workshop manual and there it is. Actually it is something I mistook / misjudged. So I am sorry to wrongly use the term for the heat sink and thank you Doc for the question.
regards adrian

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3508571)
It's just about impossible to know if the drained oil was changed 2500 km ago or 6000 km ago by just looking at it.

Agree with you Jim. Its impossible to know the status of the oil just by looking at the color/discolor of it. But, when the mechanic mentioned with horrified tone, I was bit worried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArizonaJim (Post 3508571)
One thing is for sure though. You now have nice fresh oil and a new oil filter in your RE.

Oh yeah, you bet. Now iam sure it has got fresh oil, clean filters for sure as the difference can be easily felt

Bike seems much peppier and easier on everything like clutch, brakes etc

When he home-delivered my bike, engine was running at higher idle and he wasnt carrying any tools so I visited him last evening and got the idle corrected ( just an excuse to ride 15kms:D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by carizma (Post 3509980)
Hi Avinash!I got the exact same BULL delivered yesterday. And what is interesting is that the story is exact same as yours!! Went for a casual test ride three days back; was smitten by the Classic 500;

Sorry for late reply as I was travelling last week.

Congrats Carizma, Glad to know that you have a story similar to mine. All my automobile purchases till date (there has been quite a few till date) been like this.

If I like it, I got it to have it ; PRONTO:uncontrol...

Quote:

Originally Posted by carizma (Post 3509980)
One, the rear mud guard is not in line with the rest of the body. There is a marked off-set towards left. Second, I have noticed a crack in the flange connecting the bend pipe to the cylinder head as is evident in the picture. Is this normal?

First one is a minor stuff, it can be fixed easily

Second one seems to be little serious and that crack is evident from your picture when I compare to the pic posted by Adrian. You have to ask them to replace it under warranty or tell them you will not take the bike back. I have realized one thing, ask politely ( most times it works) but, when polite tone gets ignored or mistaken for softness then you will have to become like your bike (Bullish)....LOL!

Goodluck and look forward to updates soon...Cheers !!!

Since the last 4-5 years I had been trying to buy a bullet.The last time I booked and cancelled one was before my marriage about 1.5 years back due to mounting expenses .Finally took the plunge and booked a cl 500 dessert storm.Expected time of delivery 3 months.I have been a frequent visitor to this thread.Prior to the booking I had taken a TD of the CL 500 with my wife who was instantly smitten by the torque especially after coming from the Karizma :D hence instantly got the green signal.The difference was quite huge.The TD bike had an upswept silencer.It did give out a good thump but the bike used to give out a loud popping sound when I let go of the throttle.Can you please suggest me a good silencer for the cl 500?The RE mechanics said I cant go in for the short bottle and are pressing me to go for the upswept one.Somewhere in the forum I heard they are not good in terms of performance.Is it true?
PS-sorry for the a bit long poststupid:couldnt hold the excitement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rakesh_r (Post 3514865)
The TD bike had an upswept silencer.It did give out a good thump but the bike used to give out a loud popping sound when I let go of the throttle.Can you please suggest me a good silencer for the cl 500?The RE mechanics said I cant go in for the short bottle and are pressing me to go for the upswept one.Somewhere in the forum I heard they are not good in terms of performance.Is it true?

Congratulations on your DS500. Iam sure you will enjoy every bit of its experience as I have since last 3 years that I have had my Classic 500:)

My strong recommendation is NOT to go for the upswept silencer that RE coaxes you to install. Please wait for 2000kms to be completed on stock pipes and look for options in aftermarket

I have installed it from a popular local here who specializes in bullet pipes and costed me INR 2,500. That reminds me the glass wool in my pipes seem to have come to end of their life, need to replace them so "booming" sound is back to its originality:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3514744)
...First one is a minor stuff, it can be fixed easily

Second one seems to be little serious and that crack is evident from your picture when I compare to the pic posted by Adrian. You have to ask them to replace it under warranty or tell them you will not take the bike back. I have realized one thing, ask politely ( most times it works) but, when polite tone gets ignored or mistaken for softness then you will have to become like your bike (Bullish)....LOL!

Thanks.

Visited the ASS today. I was told that the flange issue is not relevant as it is just the paint that has cracked. The technician says that he will remove the flange and show it to me when the bike comes for the first service. Same for the mud guard issue; to be sorted out during the service.

Spare for this glitch, I am enjoying every minute of the ride.:)

I had been searching for a solution to mount my phone on the bike. After much search and deliberation, I found and ordered this attachment. It grips the handle bar and the phone like leech and has a 360 degree swivel that will aid in video recording.

Quote:

Originally Posted by carizma (Post 3518648)

I had been searching for a solution to mount my phone on the bike. After much search and deliberation, I found and ordered this attachment. It grips the handle bar and the phone like leech and has a 360 degree swivel that will aid in video recording.

Probably I can put my Sony Handycam too, as the size is not too big. Can you please share the link and the price. Also if you have used this for video-graphy, please do share your first hand inputs, regarding Vibrations, Ease of use, Ease of mounting and dismounting, protection from falling off etc.

Regards,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majumdarda (Post 3534770)
Probably I can put my Sony Handycam too, as the size is not too big. Can you please share the link and the price. Also if you have used this for video-graphy, please do share your first hand inputs, regarding Vibrations, Ease of use, Ease of mounting and dismounting, protection from falling off etc.

Regards,

You can find this mount here. http://www.amazon.in/gp/offer-listin...&condition=new

I have recorded video using my mobile phone. I have tried recording on smooth as well as rough roads and am numbering my observations.

1. picks up engine noise, being close to the engine.
2. does not give a bird's eye view although covers the area to a good extent.
3. a bit risky to operate the controls while moving.
4. does not vibrate by itself, but bike vibes are inherent.
5. is very secure and does not dislocate easily.
6. best suited for using phone as a calling device, GPS etc.

All-in-all, I am quite satisfied with the product.

P.S.Though I have never tried using a proper camera/handycam, IMO something that can be mounted on the helmet will give better results for videography.

Something like this..http://gopro.com/

Quote:

Originally Posted by carizma (Post 3518648)
I had been searching for a solution to mount my phone on the bike. After much search and deliberation, I found and ordered this attachment

Oi, same pinch bro. I have the exact same phone mount. Works great. Have used this whilst doing triple digit speeds for a sustained period. The phone did not move an inch from its spot. Very well made

I actually was looking for a phone mount for GPS usage and also to make some videos on my phone / P&S Sony camera as I am too poor to buy a proper Go-pro Hero 3 - black edition with all the lovely mounts <sigh>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Majumdarda (Post 3534770)
Probably I can put my Sony Handycam too, as the size is not too big. Can you please share the link and the price. Also if you have used this for video-graphy, please do share your first hand inputs, regarding Vibrations, Ease of use, Ease of mounting and dismounting, protection from falling off etc

I have used it for making videos with my phone as well as my Sony P&S camera. The vibrations are there are sometimes (depending on how you mount it) the video is almost illegible. Other times, its quite watchable

Bit like Forrest's mama and her box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get

:D

Edit - One gripe with the Capdace racer, its not waterproof. I think Rynox has a cellphone case that is waterproof and similarly priced. Not sure of quality though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad (Post 3534834)
Oi, same pinch bro. I have the exact same phone mount. Works great. Have used this whilst doing triple digit speeds for a sustained period.
:D

Still waiting for the running in to get over:Frustrati and enjoy the ride:D

The mount sure does its job and I have never been disappointed with the quality of what ever recording I have done so far.