Team-BHP - RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic Chrome 500 (12,500kms Done):The "Maroon Marauder" THUMP's home!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/113632-re-classic-chrome-500-12-500kms-done-maroon-marauder-thumps-home-21.html)

Personally, I think Royal Enfield is being overly cautious with their 12,000 km (7,500 mile) replacement of the fuel hose.

I rather doubt that the hoses quality is any less than the high pressure fuel injection hoses found on automobiles and it is living in a much cooler environment out there in the relatively cool airflow.
I know of no automobile companies that recommend replacing the hoses, be they low pressure or high pressure fuel injection hoses on their vehicles at 12,000 km or even for several times that distance.

That said, a failure of this hose can cause major troubles and the cost is not that great.

Speaking of cost, if an owner decides to replace that hose himself they will find there are several different hoses that size and made with the same black color.

One of them is made for handling vacuum and is not reinforced with an interior cloth sleeve. Hoses of this type are often not made to handle fuel or high internal pressures.

Another hose is made for connecting tubing in carburetored applications and although it is fuel compatible, it is not meant to handle pressures over 1 bar (14.7 psi).

The correct hose is designed specifically for handling high pressure fuel for fuel injected systems.
This is the only type of hose that should be installed.

The screw type flat stainless steel clamp that comes on the motorcycle can be used again if it has not been damaged by over-tightening it.
It will work perfectly fine but it often does compress the rubber hose which may begin to leak after a period of time. For this reason, if this type of clamp is used, be it the old clamp or a new one, the owner should revisit the clamp after several weeks and retighten it to compress the rubber thereby maintaining the tight fit.

There are also wire, spring clamps available. These look like a ring with two prongs sticking out of it. The prongs are intended to be squeezed with pliers to enlarge its internal diameter and allow it to be positioned on the hose at the correct location.
When this type of clamp is released, it contracts, sealing the hose onto the tube.

These spring style clamps are self adjusting. When the rubber under the ring compresses, the clamp automatically contracts to maintain the seal so no further adjustment or visitation is needed.
Have fun with your Royal Enfield. :)

Hi Avinash ,

This was a wonderful thread to read. I think your the only one who hasn't complaint about even a single rust problem in your bike. I had booked the standard 350 changed my booking to standard 500 and after reading your thread I am tempted to book the classic chrome.

Maybe I will stick to the standard because I always liked the butch look of the older standard bullet. Really nice to see a great machine maintained in great shape with a great owner - thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoopash (Post 3452588)
This was a wonderful thread to read. I think your the only one who hasn't complaint about even a single rust problem in your bike. I had booked the standard 350 changed my booking to standard 500 and after reading your thread I am tempted to book the classic chrome.

Maybe I will stick to the standard because I always liked the butch look of the older standard bullet.

Thanks Anoop for your kind words. Iam also very happy that there has been no major issues with my bullet till date with zero rust issue

I beileve there is no complaints especially from chrome painted bikes as even i have not come across anyone complaining and i know atleast 4 owners.

There is a new standard 500 that joined our apartment complex last week. It indeed looks butch and old school. Congrats on same and look forward to your ownership thread here:thumbs up

Avinash , whenever possible do take a test ride of the new standard 500 carb and do let me know your experience as compared to your bike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3452693)
Thanks Anoop for your kind words. Iam also very happy that there has been no major issues with my bullet till date with zero rust issue

I believe there is no complaints especially from chrome painted bikes as even i have not come across anyone complaining and i know atleast 4 owners.

There is a new standard 500 that joined our apartment complex last week. It indeed looks butch and old school. Congrats on same and look forward to your ownership thread here:thumbs up

hello brother,
I am planning to buy a classic chrome motorcycle. I've owned a black classic 500 previously. So this time it has to be a chrome. Are there any issues with the chrome finish? I mean damage by scratches and swirls. especially in the tank, since it hasn't got the tankpads. Just a curious question. As I wish to keep the paint quality as good as new always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoopash (Post 3452781)
Avinash , whenever possible do take a test ride of the new standard 500 carb and do let me know your experience as compared to your bike.

What a timely question. A young guy in my apartment has bought the standard 500 ( carb version) and is behind me to take a test ride. I promised to ride it this weekend

Will let you know a feedback after that ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by Veelubai (Post 3454131)
So this time it has to be a chrome. Are there any issues with the chrome finish? I mean damage by scratches and swirls. especially in the tank, since it hasn't got the tankpads. Just a curious question. As I wish to keep the paint quality as good as new always.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I have zilch issues in terms of rust or about any scratches or swirl marks anywhere on the chrome portion of the bike

Without a wash also my bull looks awesome and as good as brand new and after a wash, it shines like a crazy diamond:D

Let me look for a couple of pics taken from my mobile after a recent wash and will post it here so you can see it for yourself

My 2011 G5 Deluxe is the chrome version of the "Electra" and after 3 years and 24,000 km the chrome still looks like new.

Chrome is an extremely hard metal that doesn't corrode (rust) and it is much more resistant to abrasion than any paint.

That said, chrome is not as hard as various grinding materials including those found in common dirt, not to mention various "chrome cleaners" on the market.

If a person wipes dirt or mud off of a chrome surface with a dry towel or rag they can expect the harsh abrasives to scratch the surface.

Because of this, care must be used to gently wash away and wipe all of the surfaces of a motorcycle, the painted as well as the chrome surfaces.
The use of chrome polishes should be avoided.

I also highly recommend applying a good automotive "clear coat" wax to all of the exposed surfaces, both painted and chrome plated.
This will provide additional protection and make the paint and chrome gleam like a gem for years to come.

Avinash , I changed my booking to classic chrome. I was too inspired by your thread and the build quality of your bike. The dealer promised me to deliver the bike within two weeks that too royal maroon :).

I started with a standard 350 and now ended up booking the chrome, still trying hard to get out of the vitamin M deficiency. Not that I don't have the vitamins but spending nearly 2 lakh for a bike which I am not even sure of using it :). As someone mentioned before , once the Enfield fever has got you there is no cure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoopash (Post 3455457)
Avinash , I changed my booking to classic chrome. I was too inspired by your thread and the build quality of your bike. The dealer promised me to deliver the bike within two weeks that too royal maroon

Congratulations and welcome to the RE Chrome 500cc world. I hope you too have a trouble and rust free ownership experience like mine:thumbs up

Quote:

I started with a standard 350 and now ended up booking the chrome, still trying hard to get out of the vitamin M deficiency. Not that I don't have the vitamins but spending nearly 2 lakh for a bike which I am not even sure of using it

How much does the chrome cost now? Incidentally, I have decided to foreclose my bike loan this month ( just 7-8 EMI's pending) so technically from July 1st, 2014, I will own my maroon marauder completely:)

Quote:

As someone mentioned before , once the Enfield fever has got you there is no cure.

Oh yes, whoever said it has given birth to a great saying.

Despite me owning an iconic motorcycle (Triumph Bonneville), I still enjoy riding my bull which I do almost every single day and have no plans to sell it

Here are a couple of pics taken with my humble blackberry yesterday during a grocery shopping ride near home

As you can see despite the bike not being clean, it shines gloriously even today and chrome gleams superb even till now and turns eyes more than my Bonnie..haha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3456316)

How much does the chrome cost now? Incidentally, I have decided to foreclose my bike loan this month ( just 7-8 EMI's pending) so technically from July 1st, 2014, I will own my maroon marauder completely:)

In Kerala the OTR price is Rs 1,83,803 /- . Avinash , you must have already paid most of you interest on your loan in the initial months and on top of that you will have to bear the pre-closure charges. You probably could fix the amount you plan for pre-closure in your bank and enjoy the interest if there is no other pressing need.

I should really admit your very fortunate to get one of the best classic chrome built out of the Royal Enfield stable (touch wood). I recently visited the RE showroom to get the paper works done and saw a black chrome. Checked the bike and found that the golden pinstripes are broken at edges throughout which looked really ugly. The engine cover also had black spots in it. This really made me wonder why am i spending nearly 2 lakhs.

Anyways all is a luck while buying an Enfiled so my fingers crossed now.

Is the tank dimensions of chrome different to that of the other classics? Visually the tank of the chrome looks smaller .

Quote:

Originally Posted by anoopash (Post 3456638)
I should really admit your very fortunate to get one of the best classic chrome built out of the Royal Enfield stable (touch wood). I recently visited the RE showroom to get the paper works done and saw a black chrome. Checked the bike and found that the golden pinstripes are broken at edges throughout which looked really ugly. The engine cover also had black spots in it. This really made me wonder why am i spending nearly 2 lakhs.

Is the tank dimensions of chrome different to that of the other classics? Visually the tank of the chrome looks smaller .

I know atleast 4 chrome owners. 3 of them maroon and one black. Three of them are BHPians and none of them have any issues with their bikes as all of them have owned it now for 2+ years

Price has increased quite steeply over the years. I think I paid 1.62 Lakhs OTR then.

Tank dimensions of a regular 500 vs. Classic Chrome 500 is identical. 13.50 litres capacity. Maybe its just the angle of the picture

Check out the specs of 500 and classic 500 :-

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/...-specification

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3457198)

Tank dimensions of a regular 500 vs. Classic Chrome 500 is identical. 13.50 litres capacity. Maybe its just the angle of the picture

Check out the specs of 500 and classic 500 :-

Avinash , similar discussion did happen in this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...hread-222.html
Visually the Classic 500's tank does look flatter and bigger but the capacity could be same. Next time will post the pictures when I visit the showroom or when my chrome gets delivered clap:

A funny incident happened a couple of days ago.

From last tankful i had already muched some 230kms and as it was normal whenever I brake the fuel lamp flickers on and then goes off again ; basically a warning me that iam nearing an empty tank

I ride fast, slow, medium-pace. brake hard, brake softly, brake cautiously. No warning lamp flicker. I was gloating inside that my FE has really improved..LOL!

Then suddenly the bike sputtered shut. I had to push the bike for a good 1km to nearest gas station ( must have lost a couple of pounds from that exercise)lol:

Maroon Marauder took in shockingly 13.25 Litres of petrol which is highest ever till date for a 13.50 Litre tank. Basically, it went completely dry:D

Tanked up, one thumb to starter and it sprang to life....

Covered 250kms in 13.25 Litres which is an alarming low mileage of just 19kmpl...Phew, my bonnie gives better FE and much superior thrills too

Ok, coming back to the problemWhat could be the problem and how to resolve. Experts please chip in

Replace both bulbs?
Although it is uncommon for both of them to fail at the same time, it is possible.

As you've read, my low fuel indicator float died within the first 6 months of its life. I don't trust them.

The neutral switch light may be just a loose/corroded connection or it may be a problem with the switch.
I'm voting for a burned out bulb or a bad connection if your electric starter will work without pulling in the clutch lever while the transmission is in neutral.

If the switch is working and telling the computer the transmission is in neutral, the engine should start even if the clutch lever is left untouched.
If you must pull in the clutch even though the transmission is in neutral, the switch or wiring is at fault.

Today is my birthday and guess what I found out . Yes my bike has reached trivandrum waiting helpless in the go-down. The dealer promised the delivery this Tuesday. Very excited :). I found traces of rust at the front disk , is that normal ?