Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2012, 13:53   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya, on most foreign biking forums, the common impression/perception of the KTMs is that of expensive bikes whose engines grenade and need rebuilding pretty often when compared to other equivalent brands.
Is that possible because the KTM's are subjected to a lot more "abuse" than most street bikes? I've seen plenty of video clips where KTMs are ridden like motocross bikes. Anyway this is a valid thought. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Are there other colour options??... am nearing thirty and cant be seen riding an orange bike...anybody ?
The only option I can think of is wearing a full face lid with a smoke/dark visor.

Don't think that much. I'm past 30 and ride a bright green ninja.
Old 25th January 2012, 13:56   #47
BHPian

Re: KTM Duke 200 launched @ an introductory price of Rs. 1,17,500/- (Ex-Showroom Delh

@n_aditya, any news on test ride in Bangalore? Have they got a display of the bike ?
Old 25th January 2012, 13:58   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Is that possible because the KTM's are subjected to a lot more "abuse" than most street bikes? I've seen plenty of video clips where KTMs are ridden like motocross bikes. Anyway this is a valid thought. Time will tell.
Could be but I highly doubt it - advrider for one has less puppies/squiddies, and more very serious and pretty hard core adventure riders, who put their bikes through some serious trauma.

Hope its not true as well. This bike looks like it ticks most boxes to make it the perfect (if not best) Indian dual purpose machine this side of 3 Lacs. With a few not necessarily expensive mods of course.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
@n_aditya, any news on test ride in Bangalore? Have they got a display of the bike ?
The display bike will be here over the weekend AFAIK.

Test rides will be available from Feb II week.
Old 25th January 2012, 14:47   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Somehow KTMs never impressed me.I walk on the Avenue de Champs Elysee in Paris frequently and literally every motorcycle manufacturer has a show room on this famous avenue, except KTM !!!
HillRam,
Now would that be a measure to see if KTM are successful or not?

Folks,
Do give KTM a breather, experience them before commenting on their negatives. member the ol English saying ' Someone's food someone's poison'

Peace
Old 25th January 2012, 15:19   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Aditya, on most foreign biking forums, the common impression/perception of the KTMs is that of expensive bikes whose engines grenade and need rebuilding pretty often when compared to other equivalent brands.

The Dakar machines are factory built and maintained for a purpose. As are competitors of other brands. Infinite back-up, infinite resources, infinite tech, and infinite frequency of rebuild/replace/maintain. You cannot extrapolate to regular day-to-day street use of a privateer.

No one of course denies their racing cred, the fun factor, and the edgy styling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
HillRam,
Now would that be a measure to see if KTM are successful or not?

Folks,
Do give KTM a breather, experience them before commenting on their negatives. member the ol English saying ' Someone's food someone's poison'

Peace
While all things said are true & as said earlier, I would have got myself a Hero Impulse, a KTM-200 if I had the moolah & time to ride around.

What concerns me, is sales figure, not of India, but abroad. After all, how many RC8's have you folks spotted. Save for specialized KTM forums, I don't spot many KTM's. I am just curious regarding their low sales volume for street Motorcycles. Off road? They rule.

I am in no means doubting their product or longevity or such...
Old 25th January 2012, 16:06   #52
BHPian

For anybody who is interested in knowing Pune Pricing:

First impression:
Switchgear is slightly different from the Pulsar, it is a bit more ergonomically designed.
The KTM word etched on the wide handlebar, the tire hugger and the headlamp aka Skodas.
Pillion seat is bigger than the one on the FZ/Fazer.
Plastic quality is good. Nuts bolts I did not notice . Paint quality is very good. The black sides of the knee recess has a matte black finish so you don't damage the paint with your Jeans/riding pants.
I have made a walk-around video but I have low bandwidth and the video is in 720p .
Sounds tinnier than my Pulsar(which is bassier) but also slightly louder. The engine revs up extremely fast.
Looks stunning.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 16:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Are there other colour options??... am nearing thirty and cant be seen riding an orange bike...anybody ?
As per the Dealership here in Pune, they will be selling the Orange ones initially to establish a brand image, similar to a green ninja. They might come up with different color schemes going forward.
Old 25th January 2012, 19:08   #54
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj has done and amazing job to come up with such a product and also price it so competitively. India today eaily makes the worlds best small commuter motorcycles and the homegrown makers like Bajaj and TVS have taken the fight to the Japanese camp and beaten them more times than one.

No doubt that KTM's R&D had a huge part in designing the bike, but the fact that Bajaj has been able to source such high quality components locally and manufacture this bike to discerning European standards is a testimony to the fact that they have come a long long way since their Chetak days.

With the next generation Pulsar range soon to be launched the Japs will have to do a whole lot more to make inroads into Bajaj's dominance in the Indian sport motorcycle space.
Old 25th January 2012, 20:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
am nearing thirty and cant be seen riding an orange bike...anybody ?
Geez! I am 40 (plus 1) I have no hang ups about riding Orange!

If you are ashamed of riding Orange, being 30 - Dont even come near the Duke!
Shubz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 20:12   #56
BHPian

i was planing on a classic 500 and then bajaj comes and spoils it!!!!hmmmm....as a kid i always wanted a kind of cross over bike...you the DIRT kind!!!;P yep the Duke may not be a proper rally bike but i think it will definately be a lot Lot of fun. When Hero introduced the Impulse ...i was thinking, " pretty cool, they at least are thinking of an off roader ...thats some new thinking and risk taking in badge/re-badge type of a market " . The thought of buying it never arose!!!! and now this KTM....Bajaj priced it spot on i guess...it is tempting and exciting me like no less!!! and i feel i am quite old now and am thinking that should i buy a bike on which i think i shall break my bones off roading or trying to off road???...its tempting ....very tempting and guess its now or never!!!!;P
...OT....sorry for the long post!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2012 at 01:00. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 21:39   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Somehow KTMs never impressed me.I walk on the Avenue de Champs Elysee in Paris frequently and literally every motorcycle manufacturer has a show room on this famous avenue, except KTM !!!

@Hillram - I guess this is not the only reason why you are not impressed with the KTMs Because they don't have a show room on this famous Paris Avenue.

I don't think there is any doubt or question on this bike's origin and capabilities. At least for the bike enthusiasts.
Old 26th January 2012, 00:31   #58
BHPian

orange is good, and i am 40 plus ...this bike will be a practical tourer with a decent fuel economy figure, more reliability than RE (anyday), service backup at Bajaj dealerships all around the country, and a decent all-day riding speed of 120 kph...
what else does one need? a triumph bonneville is gonna be 6.2 lakhs on road, will return about 20 kpl, and will have only four dealers all around the country... if you are thinking of taking your bike out for days on the highway, it is either RE, Karizma, and now KTM 200...(okay, Ninja650r, but the price, FE figure, and service backup?)... I thought long and hard... both my REs will have to go now...let the orange sun shine...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 26th January 2012 at 01:01. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 01:01   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
orange is good, and i am 40 plus ...this bike will be a practical tourer with a decent fuel economy figure, more reliability than RE (anyday), service backup at Bajaj dealerships all around the country, and a decent all-day riding speed of 120 kph...
what else does one need? a triumph bonneville is gonna be 6.2 lakhs on road, will return about 20 kpl, and will have only four dealers all around the country... if you are thinking of taking your bike out for days on the highway, it is either RE, Karizma, and now KTM 200...(okay, Ninja650r, but the price, FE figure, and service backup?)... I thought long and hard... both my REs will have to go now...let the orange sun shine...
Slightly offtopic, but I am surprised that you did not even consider CBR, a capable sports-tourer. Is it the bent forward (sporty) riding stance?
Old 26th January 2012, 01:03   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
orange is good, and i am 40 plus ... my REs will have to go now...let the orange sun shine...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Geez! I am 40 (plus 1) I have no hang ups about riding Orange!

If you are ashamed of riding Orange, being 30 - Dont even come near the Duke!
Couple of 40+ are convinced to ride the orange passion, nice reassurance for the other younger riders. I am impressed by hearing that RE's will be going away for Duke.

I would like to see some video of Duke in action and the sound of the exhaust note. Does any one have it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks