Team-BHP - Felt like an Emperor - My Classic Desert Storm
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Felt like an Emperor - My Classic Desert Storm (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/115292-felt-like-emperor-my-classic-desert-storm-3.html)

After much confusion and followups regarding which muffler to go for, I finally ordered the second addition to my DS 500 and that is a Monster exhaust from Sans Inc,
I finally chose it over goldstar conical baffle :)

hey ruchirtnt!

When do you intend to install the exhaust? How about waiting for a while and complete a few thousand kilometers (5-6k) before changing the exhaust? I quoted a post of Randhawa saying that a free-er exhaust can harm the exhaust valves, etc. I also wish to change the exhaust, but only with a RE supplied one (I like things OEM and also don't want to risk loosing warranty), so will get a upswept exhaust from RE when I am done collecting the money for it. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by iron.head (Post 2677743)
hey ruchirtnt!

When do you intend to install the exhaust? How about waiting for a while and complete a few thousand kilometers (5-6k) before changing the exhaust? I quoted a post of Randhawa saying that a free-er exhaust can harm the exhaust valves, etc. I also wish to change the exhaust, but only with a RE supplied one (I like things OEM and also don't want to risk loosing warranty), so will get a upswept exhaust from RE when I am done collecting the money for it. :)

I am planning to get it done after the first service and I suppose it will not harm the exhaust valves as it is not a free flow but a single baffle exhaust :)

Hi @sans, your inputs please

@ruchirtnt - Finally, a desert storm in Lucknow, congratulations I recognized the showroom at once. How has the driving experience been in the city?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantanupsingh (Post 2679808)
@ruchirtnt - Finally, a desert storm in Lucknow, congratulations I recognized the showroom at once. How has the driving experience been in the city?

It has been nice till date, since my office is in Industrial Area so I use to get a lot of free roads to ride as compared to city traffic :)
and always look for excuse to ride my desertstorm :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 2680119)
It has been nice till date, since my office is in Industrial Area so I use to get a lot of free roads to ride as compared to city traffic
and always look for excuse to ride my desertstorm

Dude I envy you. Still want to book a desert storm for myself in March but the waiting period will be just killer. Any plans to sell yet :)? Would love to see the beast in action - keep uploading the pics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 2680119)
It has been nice till date, since my office is in Industrial Area so I use to get a lot of free roads to ride as compared to city traffic
and always look for excuse to ride my desertstorm

I envy you dude. keep uploading the pics. Would love to see the beast in action.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 2675596)
Even I agree with you, I was looking for a Solid single rod one which I have in my stores (of my TB) but could not find :Frustrati
But the mechanic was suggesting that the single rod is not as safe as compared to this one

My 200 Km ownership report:

1. Bike is running smooth
2. The ES needs second attempt to start maybe I am used to kick start days
3. Reported Mileage is around 22 kmpl, I think it will get around 25 after first service
4. Horn is very nice
5. Exhaust sound is good but very restrictive and that is why I need a Goldie or monster desperately
6. Nobody has TILL NOW asked me about the bike unlike other friends who got their due attention

Single rod does not go with it. However how about wrapping the crash guard with jute ropes to make it body colored. I am contemplating that now.

And 6. :Shockked:
Have u secretly glanced at the people ???

IMO, the loud sound of megaphone may rob the nawab Saheb attitude of the beast....:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by shantanupsingh (Post 2680958)
I envy you dude. keep uploading the pics. Would love to see the beast in action.

I will try to take some snaps from my DSLR which will be more clear, the posted snaps are from my xperia and is not very clear :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupkrverma (Post 2681214)
Single rod does not go with it. However how about wrapping the crash guard with jute ropes to make it body colored. I am contemplating that now.

And 6.
Have u secretly glanced at the people ???

IMO, the loud sound of megaphone may rob the nawab Saheb attitude of the beast....:):)

That rope Idea is a good one and I too agree that megaphone is too loud and that is why i have ordered monster which has a single baffle and has a more bass sound, let me check that on my own once i receive and fit the exhaust on my DS :D

I got my Monster exhaust today from Sans Inc, will post the snaps soon.
I am getting impatient to get it installed in my DS, but have to wait till the first service,
my Odometer has clocked 360 km till date, should I get it serviced or should wait for another 140 km to go?

I have planned to get my rear seat removed too.

Thanks sans@saurabh, Will update you once I will install the monster on my Desert Monster :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruchirtnt (Post 2682670)
my Odometer has clocked 360 km till date, should I get it serviced or should wait for another 140 km to go?

Ruchir with my limited knowledge, I think you should get it installed before it goes for the service because if the tuning is required the service station guys will tune your bike according to the new exhaust requirements.

Cheers!

There is no tuning on installation of other exhaust. The ECU with the new mapping is made to accomodate a wider range of exhaust than before. the EFI will adjust accordingly itself.

@ruchir
Please post a hiqh quality mp3 file of sound on
1. Starting the Bike and idling for 20-30 seconds
2. When the bike is moderately warmed up. Say 10-15 km ride.
3. When the engine is heated. more than 15 km ride.

4. If possible then please try to record the sound with help of a friend as pillion different speeds.
Normally the sound should be the best at around speeds 40-60 km.

That will help in the decision immensely.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaurusAl (Post 2682808)
Ruchir with my limited knowledge, I think you should get it installed before it goes for the service because if the tuning is required the service station guys will tune your bike according to the new exhaust requirements.

Cheers!

But I have been told specifically to get it done after the first service :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anupkrverma (Post 2683039)
There is no tuning on installation of other exhaust. The ECU with the new mapping is made to accomodate a wider range of exhaust than before. the EFI will adjust accordingly itself.

@ruchir
Please post a hiqh quality mp3 file of sound on
1. Starting the Bike and idling for 20-30 seconds
2. When the bike is moderately warmed up. Say 10-15 km ride.
3. When the engine is heated. more than 15 km ride.

Yes, rightly said.
I will try to post a video with the existing exhaust sound and the one with the monster once I get it installed :D

Congrats Ruchir on getting the Sans Exhaust. Do share the pictures and price of same.

Would also love to see a comparison of the stock exhaust sound and after the SAN installation.

Btw, a friend of mine who bought a DS about 3 weeks ago with just 250kms on odometer has noticed some rusting below the rider seat and he is totally frustrated with RE's paint/QC quality:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 2684630)
Congrats Ruchir on getting the Sans Exhaust. Do share the pictures and price of same.

Would also love to see a comparison of the stock exhaust sound and after the SAN installation.

Btw, a friend of mine who bought a DS about 3 weeks ago with just 250kms on odometer has noticed some rusting below the rider seat and he is totally frustrated with RE's paint/QC quality:)

Sure I will do the same once i get it done,
and i have made myself to believe that even buying a new RE is like buying a beautiful vintage retro bike which is some what hand made and will have its share of rust and left paint marks :D

IMHO the same RE which used to produce small numbers of bikes are now working day and night to produce the bikes almost 100 times their own capacity hence these issues are coming in more frequently,
It was not the case with my old TB 2005 model wherein the bike was almost perfect but at those days each RE showroom used to sell only 2 4 bikes per month but now they are selling the complete stock they are receiving only minus the ones they keep for window shopping :D

Things will improve once the new line of RE will start operations in chennai

I got my first service done yesterday at 480 km and following were the issues observed:

1. Paint was left at some places which was also declared during PDI at it was assured to get it done during first service
2. Light switch to be tightened, this was also assured to be done during first service
3. To check whether the fuel warning lamp is working because the mileage was coming too good for a 500 cc

Got the service done with oil and filter change with the total bill amount of Rs. 750
They used motul 15W50 oil as recommended by RE

Below were a few more activities done:

1. Got the pilllon seat removed, it has made one mark at the rear mudguard which was covered by a touch up
2. Got monster muffler fit, the sound was the center of attraction for the RE service station. I observed some backfire sound which needs to be observed
3. Got the fuel lamp checked because I had filled only around 12 litre of petrol and after 450 km of riding, My "Desert Monster" (renamed after fitting monster exhaust) was giving a mileage close to 37 kmpl, I suppose RE has fitted 350 engine on my 500 cc :D
Let me check the mileage once again after the first service and to find out whether fitting a monster effects the mileage by any percentage

I could not fathom the idea of 37 kmpl may be due to my very easy go ride approach till the first service :)

I will post the video of the monster thump soon.