Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 15:53   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)

Congratz superb, i really really envy you right now But will soon catch up to maska you.

Very good write up and expect you to keep us updating with your experience.

Rest in person soon!
Old 7th March 2012, 19:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Congratz superb, i really really envy you right now But will soon catch up to maska you.

Very good write up and expect you to keep us updating with your experience.

Rest in person soon!
Jaggu - You know me better than this! No chaska/maska required! I sure would continue updating and you are welcome to ride the Duke - Anytime!

On the riding experience - There is a new find!

If you are light footed when changing gears - it tends to slot between gears - the gear display on the console disappears - and if you are not careful - you could end up revving it hard in the pseudo-neutral position!

Odo reading - around 250 kms now.

2nd: While reversing the bike on a slope - while controlling the descent using front brake - on slight release - there is a whistling/squeaking sound.

Both are not alarming situations though.

For the 1st - make sure one is sure footed while changing gears/ feel the click (and glance the console to be double sure). Do not rev too hard immediately after changing gears!

For the 2nd - i think its the brake pads which are still breaking in.

I will anyway visit Auto service (behind my house) tomorrow to have this checked.
Old 7th March 2012, 19:45   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
For the 1st - make sure one is sure footed while changing gears/ feel the click (and glance the console to be double sure). Do not rev too hard immediately after changing gears!

For the 2nd - i think its the brake pads which are still breaking in.

I will anyway visit Auto service (behind my house) tomorrow to have this checked.
Both should get resolved with a few more kms on the Odo. False neutrals are more due to rider being very light footed (as you pointed out rightly) during run in as well as the gearbox bedding in. Brake pad squeak is present in almost all bikes with disc brakes when reversing.
Old 8th March 2012, 10:59   #34
Team-BHP Support

Dont worry about GB and brakes now, once the first check up is done GB will be sorted, brakes well this is purely luck, some make sound, some dont.
Old 8th March 2012, 11:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

+1 to what abhivav has said on false neutrals. I used to face false neutrals pretty often on my ninja even after clocking a few thousand kms.

Once i started riding with my SIDIs the false neutrals disappeared. Sneakers and formal shoes are the main causes of false neutrals in most cases
Old 8th March 2012, 21:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
+1 to what abhivav has said on false neutrals. I used to face false neutrals pretty often on my ninja even after clocking a few thousand kms.

Once i started riding with my SIDIs the false neutrals disappeared. Sneakers and formal shoes are the main causes of false neutrals in most cases
I understand riding boots would help in better gear shift control than on formal shoes/sneakers. I don't even know how it feels with formal shoes. So far only used sneakers/sports shoes and I have been ok so far, haven't missed a gear and revved hard (but yes a couple of times have noticed the gear display missing or flickering) Yet to get the hang of getting on to neutral from 1st gear. (getting to N from 2 is much easier)
Old 8th March 2012, 23:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
but yes a couple of times have noticed the gear display missing or flickering
I too observed that, but when you let go of the clutch and use the throttle the display works perfectly.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yet to get the hang of getting on to neutral from 1st gear. (getting to N from 2 is much easier)
I couldn't find neutral from first too. Parked the bike in gear.

Plus the clutch is so light i stalled the bike a few times when i took the test ride. But once she got moving all hell broke loose.

One scorcher of a bike. Silently craving for it. Sigh!
Old 15th March 2012, 18:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

Did a 45+45 kms round the city trip yesterday. Onwards 45 kms was in maddening traffic.

Issues noticed:

Bike stalling/sputtering when taking off in 1st or 2nd gear.
Slight chain noise.

Reported it to the SVC today. Chain tightened and lubed.

About stalling/sputtering - the mechanic blew air through the tank lid vents. dust and oil spewed out of the keyhole. (may not be the cause of sputtering) but said they would look at the mapping etc during 1st service (due in about 400 kms)

Engine not sounding as refined. Sounding coarse now. An oil change/filter change during service should take care of this.

Asked about the rubber cover for the chain/replacing tank lid etc - SVC guy said that would happen when the stocks arrive.
Old 15th March 2012, 18:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did a 45+45 kms round the city trip yesterday. Onwards 45 kms was in maddening traffic.

Issues noticed:

Bike stalling/sputtering when taking off in 1st or 2nd gear.
Slight chain noise.

Reported it to the SVC today. Chain tightened and lubed.

About stalling/sputtering - the mechanic blew air through the tank lid vents. dust and oil spewed out of the keyhole. (may not be the cause of sputtering) but said they would look at the mapping etc during 1st service (due in about 400 kms)

Engine not sounding as refined. Sounding coarse now. An oil change/filter change during service should take care of this.

Asked about the rubber cover for the chain/replacing tank lid etc - SVC guy said that would happen when the stocks arrive.
Great to hear that you are happy with the bike. Any plans for the 'Akrapovic exhaust'. According to me, it is drool maal Redirect Notice

If I buy this bike (I may wait for Duke 350 as I find this one a little too small), it has to be with that exhaust from day one. When are they releasing the power parts anyway?

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 15th March 2012 at 18:46.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:11   #41
BHPian

Hey, from what I read on Ebonho's thread, you were still planning! and now this?
That was fast, and what a nice decision. the bike looks awesome and the FE figures sound very tempting!

Am keeping an eye out for discussions on petrol spill, bike stalling on lower gears. have to take a decision soon. heart says Ninja 650r, pocket is grudging (wife is fuming at the suggestion) but head says KTM. what kolaveri, man!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Please avoid posting with too many dots in between text.

Last edited by n_aditya : 20th March 2012 at 13:19.
Old 20th March 2012, 13:24   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreen View Post
Am keeping an eye out for discussions on petrol spill, bike stalling on lower gears...have to take a decision soon...heart says Ninja 650r, pocket is grudging (wife is fuming at the suggestion)...but head says KTM... what kolaveri, man!
One should always listen to the heart. The head is highly overrated. Man's way of making himself feel special. Or believing he's actually in control.

Remember, in life, ALL important actions/decisions/milestones come from the gut/heart, are instinctual, primal, and neither rationalized nor intellectualized or mentalized.

OT rant over.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 14:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
One should always listen to the heart. The head is highly overrated. Man's way of making himself feel special. Or believing he's actually in control.

Remember, in life, ALL important actions/decisions/milestones come from the gut/heart, are instinctual, primal, and neither rationalized nor intellectualized or mentalized.

OT rant over.
Correct ,when there were dozens of people standing in line at 5am morning for booking a piece of rubber and metal .There has to be something about this bike .

This is first bike booked and took delivery without a fully test ride , yet this mental bike is insane, the way the powerband kicks in ,its total madness. You will be grinning all the way inside the helmet .
Old 3rd April 2012, 15:57   #44
Senior - BHPian

After a two + week hiatus... Took the Duke out on solo rides and completed 1k. Engine definitely feels a bit strained. May be time to rejuvenate it with fresh oil. No coolant spillage so far thankful. Engine did kinda stutter when I revved it to 7k and stuttered again after shifting to 2nd. But otherwise its been responding well. Auto Service here I come!! :-D

Name:  ForumRunner_20120403_155644.png
Views: 3248
Size:  273.8 KB
Old 4th April 2012, 11:42   #45
BHPian

You get your license to play after those maddening 1000KM break in, congrats!!!!
Please share details of before and after the first service.

I am eagerly waiting to complete 1000KM, trust me its test of a man's patience.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks