Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2012, 19:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)

A few months ago, I suddenly realized that I am craving for something/something is missing in my life (in the automobile sector). Tried hard to figure out what it is and one day it dawned that all along I've been on a set of 4 wheels and have been losing hair within the cabin of a 4-wheeler! I had to lose hair anyway, so why in an enclosed cabin - It dawned upon me that the old flame of two-wheeler had been rekindled in me. There began the wonder - What urge is this? At this age? Some said mid-life crisis. Some said, a bike enthusiast/biker never grows old! Thus began my look out for a bike.

But then, What bike?!

Not some commuter bike ridden by everybody. I wasn't looking for a vehicle just to commute. Nor was I confident on taking on bigger bikes. So put it up on this lovely forum seeking advise!

Many, many said bullet! But I knew I wasn't cut out for it.

Many said Ninja. Hmmm.. That was something I could digest!

Some said CBR250R - but had heard a lot of things going on with it. And though I loved the way CBR is built, the features packed etc, there was this niggle of "No".

oh yes, there was this lookout for a "Good" RD 350! There were many available BUT, exhorbitant! (Reminded me of my hunt for an original Willys!) The Jeep was keeping me quite occupied with its little tantrums, and the joy of getting something for it so didn't want another similar experience.

Ran numerous searches on the web and then kind of settled into the 200/250 segment for now!

So the choices were --> Ninja, CBR, Pulsar (had heard that something New is happening with it) and the D U K E!

After many suggestions, prodding etc - My heart set out for the DUKE 200!

Easy eh? Now the tough part - Word was around that the Duke is going to be released! When? Early 2011 it was rumored to be launched mid 2011 and then news of Diwali release, then December 23/24th release. Then folks speculated Jan 3rd 2012. Then finally an official release saying "The Duke will be launched at a Gala function at Delhi" and we all thought, Launch means bookings!

It wasn't to be. The day arrived - Jan 24th - We all ( a few those were badly bitten by the Duke bug lined up at the store before sunrise, wanting to be among the first to book). Had to return disappointed as the news trickled in late night of Jan 23rd that bookings would open only on Feb 1! Nevertheless we were all there!

Then began the excruciatingly painful wait for Feb 1 - History repeats - We all lined up even earlier as there were some awesome reviews on bike forums etc!

Bookings done - only to hear a dreaded number "90" - 90 days waiting! This was just getting worse! But never disheartened!

After a long wait of 28 days - Here I am! the proud owner of a Duke 200! Sorry for the long dadaji type story!

Initial ride: Adrenaline was at its highest. But did not let it overcome. So was concentrating on riding sanely. I did not do anything extra but only cared for "No sudden acceleration, No sudden braking, No zigzagging, No needless revving at traffic lights". So in city traffic I was riding at anything between 30 kmph - about 70 kmph. It is a hooligan no doubt. Always looks up to me complaining, why aren't you setting me free? One flick of the wrist and the rest of the traffic diminishes in the rear view mirror. There were some vibes noticed on the foot pegs but nothing alarming.

A couple of things that I noticed during my total of 90 km Odo reading so far,

There is a khat khat kind of noise near the swing arm when decelerating and the foot pegs.

PBK service is just behind my house (So NOT worried about service AT ALL). Showed it to them, and it was the chain that was slack and was slapping against the swing arm - Got it fixed.

Got another washer put in on the foot pegs - So thats firm now.

How's it to ride? -- Its a breeze to ride this particularly with the light weight. Though it has a comparative larger turning radius, still quite easy to manouver in traffic.

Engine - The Engine has a distinctive - purr/roar which turns into a distinctive roar (though on the shriller side) enough to attract attention. The engine always seems to be begging for more.

Power - 25 horses waiting to be unleashed. But since being in the running in period, holding my horses literally! Flicking up to 60/65 kms from whatever gear I am - is a no brainer. Don't have to bear in mind that I am in lower gear or not.

FE - This is the most debated question. I posted a pic that showed 50 kmpl. Then there have been others who have said not more than 40+ kmph. I have another friend who said - he rode to the airport and back and his avg was showing a phenomenal 56 kmph. Today I rode in traffic. Stop go/bumper to bumper - on reaching office - the average read 39 kmph. So I guess the console calculates FE in a different way. I need to wait until I ride another 100 kms of so - fill in more fuel and check.

Gearshift quality - Contrary to the clunky gear shift reported on test bikes. Here the gear shift is pretty easy. The only issue right now is bringing it to neutral from 1st gear. Getting used to bringing it to neutral from 2nd is easier. All other gear just click into place.

Ergonomics - I find the seat a bit hard for my bony posterior. Waiting for seat covers to come in. Switch ergonomics are ok. but when I was riding without my gloves on - quickly bringing the thumb to the starter - I used to scrape the egde of my thumb to the edge of the starter switch.

Pillion comfort - Don't think this was ever designed for pillion comfort. Only my 9 year son finds it thrilling. Wifey - declines to sit - saying she towers above me. Tried a couple of colleagues to ride pillion - most were finding it difficult to mount. The only guy who is comfortable is a puny colleague of mine.

The only other issue that I have faced - When on higher gears say 5th or 6th - and there is a situation when you downshift to 2nd - there is a throttle lag as if the fuel is cut off. I need to try more of this to see if it is an issue with my riding or something to do with the fuel injection/supply.

The bike is going to be rested for the next three days as I am headed out of town.

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-my-console.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-pondering.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-confident.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-now-tentative.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-now-raring-go.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-imag0117.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-imag0118.jpg

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-ontheramp.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2012 at 15:51. Reason: Adding review above the pics, thanks
Shubz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
A few months ago, I suddenly realized that I am craving for something/something is missing in my life (in the automobile sector).
Sorry for the long dadaji type story!
Hey Shubz,
Finally eh!!! congratulations for your new ride. Very good write up from you, wishing you miles and miles of everlasting happiness.
Do join us for the weekend rides

Nice Lid you have there, hopefully the rest of kit will soon fall in place

Last edited by ku69rd : 29th February 2012 at 19:41.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats @Shubz.
Was indeed waiting for your review on the bike. Do update about, how the bike behaves on the highway, something which nobody has reported so far.
Looks like Bajaj had arranged a full fun fare launch.
Old 29th February 2012, 19:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shubhankar. Nice to see so many duke's parked in front of the dealer showroom.

So finally its here and you're already posting about it. I thought you would be out clocking miles and getting the first 1000 kms done before the weekend goes by.

Anyway, wishing you many years of happy and safe rides. Lets try and catch up for a dekho on the weekend, what say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
It's a SparX
Old 29th February 2012, 19:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Shubz for filling up the vaccuam in you life (in automobile sector).

As the bikers say "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

Paint the town orange now.
Old 29th February 2012, 20:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats! The Duke finally arrived! Wishing you many more happy miles and years with the bike! So planning to finish the first service on Monday eh??

Please post the delivery experience and ride impressions soon!
Old 29th February 2012, 20:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Hey Shubz,
Finally eh!!! congratulations for your new ride. Very good write up from you, wishing you miles and miles of everlasting happiness.
Do join us for the weekend rides

Thank you sir! Sure would love to join you guys. Rest of the kit except boots almost already in place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Congrats @Shubz.
Was indeed waiting for your review on the bike. Do update about, how the bike behaves on the highway, something which nobody has reported so far.
Looks like Bajaj had arranged a full fun fare launch.
Thank you! Oh yes, big fan fare with media, press conference et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Congrats Shubhankar. Nice to see so many duke's parked in front of the dealer showroom.

So finally its here and you're already posting about it. I thought you would be out clocking miles and getting the first 1000 kms done before the weekend goes by.

Anyway, wishing you many years of happy and safe rides. Lets try and catch up for a dekho on the weekend, what say?

It's a SparX
Thanks Aditya! Couldn't wait until I clock 1000! The timing was just right, tomorrow I will be leaving for Pondy (on a 4 wheeler of course) and will be back late Sunday night/monday morning!

Yes it is indeed a SparX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
Congrats Shubz for filling up the vaccuam in you life (in automobile sector).

As the bikers say "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul."

Paint the town orange now.
Thank you Bandhav sir. Painting may be a misnomer - was actually zigzagging the town Orange!
Old 29th February 2012, 21:16   #8
BHPian

Congrats Shubz. We have KTM's raining all over tbhp. What a great day(date) to write a review about the bike. I am sure the long term review on the same date after 4 years would be all smiles.
Bike looks mouth watering in Red and Black. Please do update as days go by, most importantly about mileage and A.S.S.
Old 29th February 2012, 21:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Congrats Shubz. We have KTM's raining all over tbhp. What a great day(date) to write a review about the bike. I am sure the long term review on the same date after 4 years would be all smiles.
Bike looks mouth watering in Red and Black. Please do update as days go by, most importantly about mileage and A.S.S.
Thank you sir. It would be blasphemous to call it "red" Its Orange! ;-) ;-)
Old 29th February 2012, 21:46   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz

Thank you sir. It would be blasphemous to call it "red" Its Orange! ;-) ;-)
My bad, Orange it is. Please spare my ignorance due to excitment Lord Duke.
Old 1st March 2012, 02:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Am I reading something wrong here?

The Duke Finally arrives! (KTM Duke 200)-mileage.jpg
Old 1st March 2012, 08:31   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations . The bike does look fantastic in the typical KTM colors. 90 days waiting says alot about the tremendous response thins thing has generated. Looking forward to an ownership review. Ride hard but ride safe.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:46   #13
BHPian

Congrats Shubhankar, you certainly look like a man who will get things done if he makes up his mind.

After reading your earlier thread for getting inputs on a suitable bike, I can understand why you went after the Duke. I must say that this bike is more suited for a single persons need for commuting and wading through Bangalore traffic.

Do write about your first impressions and also a detailed review of this bike.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:57   #14
BHPian

Hearty Congrats Shubz. What a bike, surely turning lots of heads and getting special attention and respect for you.
Drive safe and rev hard.
Old 1st March 2012, 09:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shubz,
Congratulations.
Do share with us more info on how the bike handles - bad roads, highways, city driving...
Those mileage figures are very good. Should be giving some serious complex to Hulk
Cheers and ride safe!
Deepak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks