Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2020, 17:00   #556
BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions

Hi everyone, I'm running my CBR 250 with aftermarket adjustable levers since over two years now and while they served me well without any issues, I was contemplating to revert back to stock levers since quite some time in the interest of safety as these weren't branded aftermarket levers. Now I did revert to the original levers last week and since then having a difficult time adjusting to the stock position of the brake lever(it's very far out stretched and barely two fingers could reach it comfortably). Is there any way the brake lever can be adjusted, even if not on the fly as is the case of adjustable levers? Tried Google and Manual before posting the query here
Old 16th December 2020, 11:16   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee
In my experience this is negligible; I've had 46.1 Kmpl with tailbag & I weighing over 77 Kg as well as low as 31 Kmpl on solo ride to 37 Kmpl with tail bag & I on GJ roads. Frankly I don't know is the fact.
Interesting. BTW 46kmpl is amazing FE - anything special about that ride that you recollect that could have led to such FE ?

Quote:
There's a huge argument here, go through from this if you like to get confused
Oh, No. I am not too hung up on engine oil. I am OK going with manufacturer prescribed rating and a brand that is rated decent by tbhp-ians.

Quote:
Personally I've tested Shell 10W40 Advanced Ultra from 38K Kms for its superior technology & economic cost compared to second best Motul 7100 10W40.
A noob question. Should only synthetic oil be used for the CBR ? The manual doesn't specifically mention synthetic or mineral.

In the other thread, you mention "Plenty of options; Indian Oil 10W30, Motul 7100 10W40, Castrol 10W40, Wurth 5W40."
All these are synthetic oils, I presume ?

Quote:
Always remember to check every 2000-1000-1000-1000-1000 Km intervals & top-up.
Another noob question. Isn't oil level to be checked with bike upright. During long-distance touring, with side-stand, how do you manage this ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th December 2020 at 11:28.
Old 16th December 2020, 11:28   #558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
anything special about that ride that you recollect that could have led to such FE ?
Yes, frustration; 80 Kmph or less & as much 6th gear as possible no matter what happened all the way from Masinagudi to Ulundurpet with just 1 stop to gobble up 8 liters of fuel at BPCL COCO. It was not just on mine, but my companion's C250R's too.

Quote:
A noob question. Should only synthetic oil be used for the CBR ? The manual doesn't specifically mention synthetic or mineral
No, you could use 20W40 mineral as well, just that the protection is superior with 10W40. For instance, 20W40 barely withheld from Chennai to Udaipur & I had to change at Udaipur. Whereas, I did entire GQ with one 10W40 and second fill from Chennai - Mangalore - Bombay - Vapi - Porbandar - Navsari - Narayan Sarovar - Port Okha - ROK - Ahmedabad - Bombay - Bangalore - Chennai. Former was nearly 6K & latter was close enough for 8K

Quote:
Isn't oil level to be checked with bike up
right. During long-distance touring, with side-stand, how do you manage this ?
Put the bike upright, hold with hands & check
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:10   #559
BHPian

Quote:
FE is dependent on a lot of factors apart from the bike itself - roads, traffic, speed, city vs highway etc.
Agreed and I am well aware of this, apart from the Fuelio app, I do keep the record of FEs achieved and the conditions in which they were achieved and what fuel was used. It's hard to believe when I say I am not bothered about the 'Kitna deti hai' factor, specially when I am keeping this sort of record, but I only bother about these number when they drop below 30. As it can be seen from the below log, the lowest FE was achieved with Shell fuel, and the bike also felt very rough with it, not sure why. I have been using XtraPremium for most part of my ownership of the ceeber, but changed to regular petrol last month. I am not sure whether its a placebo, but for me bike rides better with XtraPremium.

Name:  CBR FE.png
Views: 815
Size:  39.3 KB

Last edited by tchsvy : 16th December 2020 at 17:12. Reason: Typo
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 17:49   #560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy
It's hard to believe when I say I am not bothered about the 'Kitna deti hai' factor, specially when I am keeping this sort of record, but I only bother about these number when they drop below 30.
The E in FE stands for Efficiency and since when did being efficient be a bad thing?
A good FE not only is efficient use of fuel, it also indicates an in-shape engine. So nothing to be ashamed of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchsvy
apart from the Fuelio app, I do keep the record of FEs achieved and the conditions in which they were achieved and what fuel was used.
Given the inherent inconsistencies with the fullTank-to-fullTank (FTF) method, could you please try just once the blink-to-blink method and post the FE here ? In cars we generally use the FTF method to check FE and even while using the same dispenser at the same fuel-station, I have seen the nozzle stop in auto-fill mode due to surgeback or vapour in the tank line. So a visual FTF check is IMO equally or more prone to error.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 19:27   #561
BHPian

Quote:
So nothing to be ashamed of.
Haha, its not about shame but its about mentality actually, if my Access 125 FE drops down below 45 I will be worried, because I expect that from a commuter. But when it comes to CBR, I am mentally prepared for these FE figures. For me its about miles covered rather than miles covered per litre when it comes to CBR, but I expect more from Access!

Quote:
could you please try just once the blink-to-blink method and post the FE here ?
Will sure do!
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2020, 19:43   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I Checked the chain and it was unbelievably loose. Never had this earlier - need to get checked at next service.
I guess the 6K+ kms running this year caused the chain becoming loose. Took it to a known mechanic & got it tightened.
He said the sprockets are showing wear & would need to be replaced soon. Apparently both sprockets & chain come as a set.
Wonder if 17K kms / 6years is adequate life for a chain/sprocket ?

He also said that riding with a loose chain could lead to the chain coming off leaving one stranded & thus should be tightened asap.
Hmm. Need to have this in mind henceforth.

BTW, my last fuel-fill of Rs900 (10.73 litres) was the highest I ever filled and fuel came a little above the level plate.
The 6th bar of fuel-gauge came up and lasted 10kms.
Old 21st December 2020, 08:17   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wonder if 17K kms / 6years is adequate life for a chain/sprocket?
6 years!! Boss!! I pity your poor bike now!! If I were you I would be happy to replace every year! 17K Km is little less though, but then, a continuous vigorous use of 20K is good enough for replacement. I replace mine at Sep 2011 when HMSI claimed 1 month to provide the spares at which point my bike had done close to 9K since I bought in Jun 2011. Compared to that, you're in a far superior situation now; I think your bike certainly deserves a shiny chain to show off

Quote:
He also said that riding with a loose chain could lead to the chain coming off leaving one stranded & thus should be tightened asap
Absolutely true; I did that all the way from Tumkur to Chennai with a huge loud sound occuring from time to time. And it took until Hosur for me to realize the sound & often lubricating & the fear of chain jumping off the sprocket occurred to me not until Krishnagiri

Last edited by aargee : 21st December 2020 at 08:19.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:30   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
6 years!! Boss!! I pity your poor bike now!! If I were you I would be happy to replace every year! 17K Km is little less though, but then, a continuous vigorous use of 20K is good enough for replacement.
The manual mentions only about regular lubrication/maintenance of the chain- no replacement interval mentioned. Hence the confusion.

Anyway, at next service will have it replaced as per mechanic's opinion.

As an FYI, with my HH CD100 that had done 1lakh+kms in the 15years I had it at Chennai, the chain/sprockets never had to be replaced. Once the chain got loose and came off, which was put back on and tightened.
Old 21st December 2020, 14:15   #565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The manual mentions only about regular lubrication/maintenance of the chain- no replacement interval mentioned. Hence the confusion
For that you've to refer to the picture in this post

As you get to the end of the wheel adjustment groove, it's time for replacement; the sticker clearly states when to replace the sprocks. You can take an independent informed decision as the axle is put at the end

Quote:
As an FYI, with my HH CD100...which was put back on and tightened.
Top speed, FE, cost, technology of CD100 vs CBR250R?
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-shabbaippavekannakattuthey.jpg
aargee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th December 2020, 23:28   #566
BHPian

So I got my cbr250 serviced this week. I have been guilty of not using it for an extended period, the fuel pump had gone kaput(I should have been careful). Got it replaced( boy! It’s expensive).

Went for a short ride , and still is smooth as silk. I like how it just gets better with age ( read 6.5 years).

Here is mine, all prepped up after the service.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR 250R : Answers to some commonly asked questions-f052e772f9ce43289c2ba7bcb9991ac9.jpeg  

vj_torqueaddict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 14:19   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
So I got my cbr250 serviced this week. I have been guilty of not using it for an extended period, the fuel pump had gone kaput(I should have been careful). Got it replaced( boy! It’s expensive).
That looks neat. What's is the damage caused by fuel pump?
Old 27th December 2020, 20:11   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_torqueaddict View Post
That hurts!! How much did you have to shell out? On the other hand, you should be happy if it wasnt a challenge to source the part.
Old 27th December 2020, 20:36   #569
BHPian

Quote:
What's is the damage caused by fuel pump?
Quote:
How much did you have to shell out? On the other hand, you should be happy if it wasnt a challenge to source the part
Part was not available in Sapphire Honda , Jayanagar. This is where I always give my CBR for service , because of the the technician Zeeshan.
I got the part from JC road(which is not far from my home), had to shell out 9k. However, there are several after market ones available too at lower cost.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2021, 23:33   #570
BHPian

Need a reliable mechanic contact for my CBR250R.

She has just run around 1000 kms in this entire year, that too for the small run-abouts. Only a single trip this year, which accounted for some 600 kms of the 1000.

Currently, the bike has been completely ignored for the past couple of months. Today I just started the bike after almost two months and she cranked up in the first go. However there are some issues that I noticed and need attention before I take her for a longer ride.
  1. Both front oil seals busted.
  2. Oil on the upper side of the engine(probably leakage from the engine head).
  3. Engine making rough sound (oil change should fix this).
  4. Handle seems to me misaligned.
  5. Bike wobbles between 60-70 kmph (this was unsatisfactorily fixed by Honda mechanics, need permanent solution).
  6. Tyres need a change (20k kms and 3 years).

Anybody know of a trustworthy and thorough mechanic for the CBR in the Mumbai Suburbs.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks