Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2016, 11:34   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Among the Zapper C and Zapper Y (100/90-18) for the rear, which one do you recommend?
Have no personal experience with the Y so can't comment on basis of compound and tyre use, but based on the tread pattern I would recommend the C over Y. Because the Y seems to just be rubber on the centre line, which in my past experience with similar tread pattern MRF/TVS tyres tend to fish tail a bit under panic breaking.
praful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2016, 19:54   #677
BHPian

I have been making inquiries for the following tyres for CB Dazzler:

Front: MRF Nylogrip Zapper FQ 80/100 R17
Rear: MRF Nylogrip Zapper C 110/80 R17.

I approached four tyre dealers including authorized MRF dealer and a MRF T&S Outlet. All of them have been quoting different prices with quotes for the rear tyre falling in the range from 1850 to 2800 with the MRF T&S outlet quoting the lowest price.

It also seems that Zapper C 110/80 R17 seems to be in short supply/ produced in lesser quantities as it is almost never available or the stocks take some time to be replenished and for some reason all dealers except the MRF T&S outlet showed little interest in even arranging for one.

Further, all the dealers gave varied replies when asked about the warranty terms.

I decided to contact MRF customer care and sought their reply with regards to tyre availability, price and warranty and following was their reply:

Availability: The out of stock scenario might be a temporary one in your region and tyre will be available in some time.

Price: The price for the rear tyre is around 1500 - 1600 (Don't recollect the exact price). When told about MRF outlet quoting a higher price the representative said that I can lodge a complaint and then they will take action against the dealer. I let it pass for now as I might have to do business with the guy given that he is the only one with the tyre I need.

Warranty: Company offers warranty for a period of 5 years from manufacturing date.

When I confronted the MRF T&S outlet about the price, his reply was basically "take it or leave it".

Now I am in desperate need to "take it" but have the following questions:

1. Should I go ahead with the purchase at the jacked up price?

2. What are the dynamics behind pricing of tyres in the market (Not talking about inventory holding costs and fluctuating prices of rubber and crude oil)?

3. Why are manufacturers so opaque in terms of prices? Why can't we have price labels on the product?
Bookkeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2016, 14:16   #678
BHPian

Had a chance to check the the new brand of tyres from MRF - Masseter.

The tyres look good and they claim great grip, softer compound andf cornering. They are priced at Rs2100 fro rear 100/90 18 and front 80/90-17 at 1700. For the rear I am confused between this and the zapper vyde 100/90-18 at Rs.2300

Anybody using the vyde in this size?

cheers!
sai
Old 13th December 2016, 16:46   #679
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Now I am in desperate need to "take it" but have the following questions:

1. Should I go ahead with the purchase at the jacked up price?

2. What are the dynamics behind pricing of tyres in the market (Not talking about inventory holding costs and fluctuating prices of rubber and crude oil)?

3. Why are manufacturers so opaque in terms of prices? Why can't we have price labels on the product?
Wow, wonderful, typical business mentality.
Don't buy it. Prices should be around 1500/- and MRF authorized shops generally give discounts. I suggest, try to source it from nearby town, where it is available.

Regarding price, yes they do have a MRP. But these markets moves hugely on shop based discounts. So it is just, who gives how much.
Old 14th December 2016, 21:57   #680
Senior - BHPian

Wanting to get better riding off road, got the shoes on my 390 changed. The IRC road winner did a very respectable 10k, with at least 1k more of life to go but I was simply not feeling the grip anymore when I pushed it a bit

New tyres:

Front - Sirac 100/90/17
Rear - Vee rubber vrm 163 130/80/17

Both are tubeless. Cost 5k in all fitted. Start the clock at 30K kms
Attached Thumbnails
Motorcycle Tyres : Compared!-img_1201.jpg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 14th December 2016 at 21:59.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 17:25   #681

Re: My learnings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
I hope other people add more to this list.

Mods: Please delete this post if it infringes or does not makes sense here.
Superb complilation of the diffrenet parameters one needs to consider while changing motorcycle tyres.

I am looking for a replacement of the stock MRF tyres on my CBR 150R
front size - 100/80 - 17
rear size - 130/70 - 17

I have two options available with me right now:

1. Pirelli Sport demon - both Sizes are availabe. I have read some reviews on the internet and most of them are very positive.

2. Michelin -
front tyre - Pilot sporty 100/80 -17
rear tyre - Pilot street 130/70 -17 (radial tyre)

Problem: one type of tyre is not available in both the required sizes.

In my opinion one should not have two different types of materials & grips on different tyres of the same bike, specially front being cross ply and the rear being radial.
This can compromise the stability and handling of the bike rather than improving it hence such a tyre upgrade will be an utter waste.

I would like to have your opinion in this matter. I am almost decided on the Sport Demons but I also feel the need for some expert opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Pratik

Last edited by Eddy : 29th December 2016 at 17:38. Reason: Quoting a long post hampers readability for our small screen users.
Old 29th December 2016, 20:06   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Am a newbie on two wheelers.

What's the usual tyre life / mileage that we get on bikes? Now, these are the bikes which are used for touring / city rides, am talking about. Also, is there a big difference on the mileage (life) for different brands?
Old 29th December 2016, 21:38   #683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

What's the usual tyre life / mileage that we get on bikes? Now, these are the bikes which are used for touring / city rides, am talking about. Also, is there a big difference on the mileage (life) for different brands?
Tyre life depends on lot many factors like genre of the bike, the way it's ridden, tyre brand, tyre type, highway or city riding or off road riding so on and so forth, the list of variables is large.

So you got to specify for a correct response.
Old 29th December 2016, 22:06   #684

Quote:

Tyre life will depend a lot on the type of tyre and the type of usage. Case in point, my Honda CBR 150R - MRF Zapper Q tubeless tyre is due for replacement at 26000 kms.
However,
Yamaha R15 MRF Zapper FY (Soft compound) - normally last till 18 - 20,000 kms, albeit they provide much better grip

Tyres on many commuter / non sport bikes which are designed mostly for longer life and fuel efficiency (low coefficient of rolling resistance ) have longer mileage - 30000 kms + on my Honda unicorn.

Regards
4x4@theheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2016, 22:27   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4@theheart View Post
Tyre life will depend a lot on the type of tyre and the type of usage. Case in point, my Honda CBR 150R - MRF Zapper Q tubeless tyre is due for replacement at 26000 kms.
However,
Yamaha R15 MRF Zapper FY (Soft compound) - normally last till 18 - 20,000 kms, albeit they provide much better grip...
That's kind of nice to get a 25K kms on tyres. Now, for a 250cc+ bike, will this reduce much further, if the driving parameters remain same?

I have read of guys changing tyres at 10-15K kms interval and hence the question.
Old 29th December 2016, 22:44   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
New tyres:

Front - Sirac 100/90/17
Rear - Vee rubber vrm 163 130/80/17
Any updates on the performance of these tires? How are they holding up off-road?

Cheers!
Old 30th December 2016, 00:34   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Any updates on the performance of these tires? How are they holding up off-road?

Cheers!
Have only taken the bike off road once since I got the tyres. So far, I'm extremely impressed. These things are dynamite on gravel, hard pack and even manages sand ok.

On road (commuting), the tyres are pretty darn good. The front has a bit of a "pull" effect but that sets in only once your lean angles start getting a bit deep. These tyres have a learning curve but you should be comfy in under 100 kms or thereabouts

The only thing I'm concerned about so far is the life of the vee rubber tyre. I can see some wear setting in already and I've maybe done 600 - 700 kms on it so far. Let's see how this goes
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2016, 11:12   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Have only taken the bike off road once since I got the tyres. So far, I'm extremely impressed. These things are dynamite on gravel, hard pack and even manages sand ok.
Thank you so much for the feedback... The only thing lacking from my previous ride to Leh were the tires... Guess even that is taken care of for the upcoming ride.

Need to find dealers here in Chennai or Bangalore for the rear tire now...
Old 30th December 2016, 13:31   #689

Quote:
That's kind of nice to get a 25K kms on tyres. Now, for a 250cc+ bike, will this reduce much further, if the driving parameters remain same?

I have read of guys changing tyres at 10-15K kms interval and hence the question.
A few examples:
CBR 250R Conti GO tyres - normally last till 16-17k kms
On the other hand,
Duke 390's Metzeler Sportec M5 tyres - last 10-15k Kms. Although these ones offer very good grip in both in dry as well as wet conditions.

So it again boils to tyre type or tuning done by the manufacturer while designing the tyre. That being said all 250cc plus sport bikes come with Performance oriented tyres (such as Metzeler, Continental, Pirelli etc.) hence tyre life can be expected to be less.
However same tyre e.g: Pirelli Sport Demon if fitted on 250 cc bike would have similar mileage as it will have if fitted on a 150/200 cc sport bike like the R15, CBR 150R, Duke 200 etc.
My friends Continental GT has Pirelli Sport demons tyres and the mileage seems to be similar to that reported on other bikes using this tyre. (Based on reviews available on the internet written by bikers who have installed these tyres from the after market).

Regards
4x4@theheart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 02:06   #690
BHPian

I could find Ceat Secura Sport tyres on sale on Amazon.in. I have read many reviews that these are the best for multi purpose use for my TBTS 2009 with 19 inch rims. But I read that they were not easily available. Could these be from old stock?
http://www.amazon.in/Ceat-Secura-Spo.../dp/B01FTSI2PM

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks