Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 18:43   #16
BHPian

re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
Thanks! I'll definitely check out the Twister. I haven't seen one lately and didn't shortlist it. Any idea how good is Pulsar 135? Heard that it has bagged a lot of awards.
Honda Twister is a 110 cc bike, not a 150 cc one... also, it does not come with mon shocks, front the rear disks... Its the Honda Dazzler that comes with these features, however, this is a market thud, has a very narrow tank (which in my opinion is pretty uncomfortable..).

My pick would be a Unicorn, means business 100% and will last for a really long time if maintained well!
vinair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 19:22   #17
BHPian

I will suggest for Pulsar 180 in mid segment bikes. All 150cc bike lack pick up in doubling in city and a knocking type sound occurs even on slight over rev, whereas P180 will give a smoother ride.
Of course the cost for above thing wills 5-7 Kms less mileage per liter but overall P180 is a far better package than with a nominal difference in price.
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 12:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Honda Twister is a 110 cc bike, not a 150 cc one... also, it does not come with mon shocks, front the rear disks... Its the Honda Dazzler that comes with these features, however, this is a market thud, has a very narrow tank (which in my opinion is pretty uncomfortable..).

My pick would be a Unicorn, means business 100% and will last for a really long time if maintained well!
Alright, let me help here

I feel like sitting on a couch when I sit on my Twister. A comfortable riding pose for daily ride. Apache is fun within city but the way you sit isnt comfortable wrt to Twisters. And Twister gets me 60plus. Also, the low end torque of Twister is great for city ride unless you wanna race with others.

You would need to spend only 55-57k INR for Twister while 70 plus for the rest.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 13:06   #19
BHPian

Thank you all! Your suggestions have helped me immensely in refining my list. So, here goes the refined list in the order of preference:
  1. Suzuki GS150R
  2. Bajaj Pulsar 150
  3. Apache RTR 160
  4. Honda Unicorn Dazzler
  5. Yamaha FZ-S
  6. Hero Honda CBZ Xtreme
I am planning to do a TD most probably this week and then decide on the winner.

Oh! Forgot to include the Honda Twister and Pulsar 135. At what position do I position them? I have read/seen some good reviews of Pulsar 135 on print/TV. However, no one has suggested Pulsar here. Is there some problem with the bike?

Last edited by manson : 5th June 2012 at 14:18.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

@su48: Regarding pulsars and in general Bajaj bikes, there are many fans who will defend the brand. I had Bajaj Caliber 115 as my first bike. However, as of late I noticed a falling trend in quality of Bajaj vehicles. A simple measure: Just see how an old test ride vehicle is performing in the shop. Also, tap the metal and plastic parts to gauge their thickness. You will find that Bajaj has one of the thinest metal, whereas some others have very strong body. Perhaps that's the reason no one suggested Pulsar.

Pulsar is a very capable bike, but after seeing the general state of Bajaj bikes after a few years, I never recommend any Bajaj bike to any friend. But that's my personal opinion only. Things might have turned around in recent past, so you can check their products as well.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.........Please suggest a decent 150 CC commuter bike. TIA!
Here are a couple of options that are not so popular on online forums and in big cities:

1. Discover 150
2. Boxer 150

Both are not stylish or flashy, but are capable commuter bikes nonetheless. Boxer 150 was originally targeted towards the rural consumer and lugging heavy loads, hence is built to last. Only downside is that it has 4 gears only; though that doesn't matter too much in city riding where you rarely get a chance to cross 60-70 kmph. Discover 150 is also quite sturdy, has the DTS-i engine and has a comfy seating position. D150 will cost you around 60k and B150 will cost you around 50k on road.

Take a TD of both. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 5th June 2012 at 14:49.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 16:59   #22
Senior - BHPian

No to Bajaj coz you dont get the refinement in engine or quality given by Honda,Suzuki imho. I though had very good impression about the Avenger I had (minus engine refinement ).

Pulsar 135 is said to be good. So many choices from Bajaj actually, you can get bikes in many colors, with 1-3 spark plugs etc

And I guess Bajaj is like Maruti, many models, ok quality, and lot of service centers.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 17:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
@su48: Regarding pulsars and in general Bajaj bikes, there are many fans who will defend the brand. I had Bajaj Caliber 115 as my first bike. However, as of late I noticed a falling trend in quality of Bajaj vehicles.
I'll definitely keep your suggestion in mind. I'll pay more attention to the build quality of the bike when I go for the TD. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Here are a couple of options that are not so popular on online forums and in big cities:

1. Discover 150
2. Boxer 150
Thanks for the suggestion! Vikram. But, I am looking at a bike which offers good styling, decent/ok FE, and good performance. Anyway, I'll definitely check out these bikes. Lets see whats in store!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Pulsar 135 is said to be good. So many choices from Bajaj actually, you can get bikes in many colors, with 1-3 spark plugs etc
Yes, definitely! Bajaj is as omnipresent as Maruti on Indian roads. When I saw the Pulsar 135, I was tempted to buy it immediately. Then I realized that, I need to spend some time and research a bit. Looks like, it'll be fun to TD all those bikes.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th June 2012 at 17:33. Reason: back to back posts
Old 5th June 2012, 23:55   #24
BHPian

Re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

If it were the old Apache you were looking for I'd happily rate it above the other options you have listed here. However, the new one makes me doubtful. It shares the same innards as the previous one, and has a lot more goodies added to it, but GOD, it looks ghastly!

I would not want to wake-up every day looking at a bike which would make me feel cataract is a better option than the gift of sight! I have the previous-gen RTR180 and the new one is just plain awful from most of the angles. Looks are subjective, I agree on that, but it's one ugly bike, specially the weird dual-tone color schemes on the 160 are an eye-sore. Please take no offence, I myself feel very bad for the sorry state of the RTR brand!

If you want a no-nonsense bike try the Suzuki GS150R. Even the new Xtreme fits your requirements perfectly. You can also try finding the RTR Hyperedge (previous gen). Some dealers might be having some of those left in the stock. You might get some discount as well...

Happy & Safe Riding!
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 00:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
+1 to that. Even the seat is a bit on harder side and is narrow causing a bit of discomfort on long rides especially if one is more than 6 feet in height and has a heavy built. However, the ride comfort is better than what I have experienced on an Apache or a Pulsar. Apart from that the Dazzler is a dream to own and ride. I own one for the past one and a half year and following have been my observations:

1.The engine is responsive and refined without any vibration as felt in Pulsar or Apache, has more power than the FZ and yet gives a better mileage of 50-60 kmpl. Gear shifts are precise and with a proper click as opposed to the pathetic gearbox on a Pulsar.

2.The handling though not as great as the FZ is still very good compared to others in the segment and is extremely flickable in city traffic and highway alike. It feels well planted on road and even high speed cornering can be done without requiring nerves of steel

3. The service costs are lower than that of a FZ and the overall the bike is better built than a Pulsar or even an Apache

4. The mono shock can be adjusted for your liking between the three modes- Hard, Soft and Normal

5. The rear disc brakes have good stopping power and have been able to get me out of a few tricky situations with great ease but with a bit of fishtailing. Besides others in the segment do not have it except for the new Hunk.

6. The engine is extremely reliable and so are the other components on the bike. Some may crib about the lack of a kick start but be it cold winter starts, Mumbai rains or starting a bike even after 2-3 months without using it, the electric start has never failed and cranks up the engine in first attempt.

7. The looks may not be the best and it does look like a grown up Twister but if one compares all the benefits and features(and even the lack of some like engine kill switch), it makes up for a good buy and will serve you well based on how you maintain it.

8. The negatives are that Honda sells it at a huge premium to others in the segment yet features like engine kill switch, parking lights have been left out. The headlights are pathetic even on high beam, no clip on handle bars, rather you get proper commuter bike type wide handle-bars, the looks - my friends often mistake it for a Twister, typically unjustified Honda pricing, the gear shifter is toe operated only(my friend with a Thunderbird thinks this is a disadvantage don' t know why)

Hope this is of some help.
Bookkeeper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 19:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
I have the previous-gen RTR180 and the new one is just plain awful from most of the angles.

If you want a no-nonsense bike try the Suzuki GS150R. Even the new Xtreme fits your requirements perfectly.
I am in complete agreement with you!

Me too likes the old-generation TVS RTR. I TDed my friend's RTR HypeEdge and I didn't like it. It's got this "plasticky" look everwhere, mostly in the front and sides. I didn't like the seating-position as well; too sporty. I didn't find it comfortable! I have striked-out RTR HyperEdge from my shortlist.

I am definitely going to TD the Suzuki GS. Are you talking about Hero CBZ Extreme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Apart from that the Dazzler is a dream to own and ride.
Points noted! Thanks for the detailed review about the Dazzler. Who knows, I might end up buying the Dazzler. Adios!
Old 6th June 2012, 20:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am definitely going to TD the Suzuki GS. Are you talking about Hero CBZ Extreme?
Yes he meant the Hero CBZ-Xtreme. This, the Suzuki GS and Dazzler should be on top of your list since you dont favor sporty riding position. All 3 have quite relaxed riding postures and have refined engine/gearbox combo.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2012, 20:11   #28
BHPian

su48, looking at your requirements, I will suggest you nothing but the Honda Unicorn. Reasons??

1) terrific reliability.
2) butter smooth engine.
3) hassle free ownership.
4) comfortable riding position.
5) decent power.
6) decent FE.

All in all, a perfect all round bike.

Hope that helps...
Old 7th June 2012, 02:17   #29
BHPian

Since the bike would be used for the sole purpose of commuting to office the major concern I feel should be FE and performance under sedate driving.My two cents would be for:
i> Yamaha SZ-R -150 cc bike at 60-65k, light and easy to drive. I am new to biking and find this bike very easy to drive compared to a Pulsar or an Apache. My friend has one and he gets mileage of around 45-50KMPL.
ii> Hero Glamour - Same as Yamaha SZ, only the engine is 125 cc.
iii> Honda Twister -Its a cycle with an engine. Probably the easiest of all bikes to drive. The engine is just 110 cc but the light bike is nippy and feels so fun to drive. Mileage is also around 60-65KMPL.The bike could keep running on and on and feels best at 50-60 KMPH. If you are not bitten by the 150cc bug, this bike could very well serve the purpose you intend to use it for.
saion666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 03:32   #30
BHPian

Well after riding pulsar 150 & 180 extensively for 5 years now, I feel that Pulsars are one of the most reliable bikes. Refinement is far above acceptable limits & for that you can refer any of the Car & Bike magazine's review. The only flipside I felt about Pulsar is its heavy handling (not very flickerable) & omnipresence. But makes up on high speed stability. It is well equipped too.

Its a request not to go in for Apache..its too cramped (me & my friends all 6+ felt so), refinement levels are below average, service is poor & resale value is even worse, though its one of the most flickerable bike & quicker than the rest.

Fz is also a very good option if you can compromise on fuel average. It has got class leading handling, superb grip on corners, decent pick-up, awesome looks, superb refinement & will make heads turn everywhere anytime...what more can you ask for??

Buy the unicorn if you can compromise on outright performance & street presence for the sake of Honda's brand & super-refined powerplant. But mind you spares are hard to get even at authorized service centres; be prepared to wait for your parts.

HH Hunk a very good all rounder why haven't you considered it??

regarding SZ150, it is a mediocre bike which performs average in all areas but doesn't shine in any.

For GSX150R etc, my personal opinion will be to you that stay away from bikes that don't work well in market as their spares will be hard to find & resale values will burn a big hole in your pocket. BTW TD all the bikes multiple times to choose the option that suits you best..all the best for your purchase.
abhishek24x is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks