Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2012, 04:34   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Which 150cc Motorcycle?

Go for the Honda CB Dazzler. It has a very smooth engine and power delivery, front and rear disks, monoshock suspension and a comfortable seat. It has the right amount of power too and being a Honda, it would be reliable. The FE is decent too. Go for it if you are keen on a 150cc bike. Else the Honda CB Twister is great and would serve your purpose well.

Last edited by //M : 7th June 2012 at 04:36.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 08:01   #32
Senior - BHPian

If commuter bike is what you are looking forward to, go for the Suzuki GS150 or Honda Unicorn Dazzler. Both of them have good comfortable postures for long distance riding, good FE ( mainly Suzuki ). The biggest advantage is relatively torquey nature of motors. Even from speeds of 30-35, they will pull in top gear ( yes the Suzuki in even 6th does manage this, I have tried this myself ) which says a lot.

The other offerings are mainly on "sports" side and come with not so comfortable postures, etc. for long distance riding. Initially its fun, but in daily traffic they are not as comfortable as Unicorn or Suzuki.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 09:14   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Else the Honda CB Twister is great and would serve your purpose well.
+1 to it, CB twister have good looks and mileage that too at a very reasonable price
ruchirtnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 10:29   #34
Senior - BHPian

I would like to suggest you to look for the Pulsar. The only problem I see in it now is that the current generation will be replaced with new models (I believe within a span of 6 months).

Anyways, a test drive of all the contenders will set things right for you
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:42   #35
BHPian

I echo 'Bottom Torque' about Honda unicorn

I have a Honda Unicorn (2nd generation - black alloy wheels) 2007 model. The bike has done 41 k KMs (long term ownership coming shortly) till date and trust me it will be a perfect bike for your needs.

My service bills seldom crossed Rs. 700 mark in my 5 years of ownership which comprises of engine oil, washing and service charges only. I had my share of bad experiences too which was purely due to my negligence (will be covered in the long term ownership report)

The Mono suspension is a boon for bad roads and gives a comfortable drive compared to the dual shock bikes (IMO).

Mileage : I am getting an excellent mileage of 55 to 57 per KMPL and it reaches to 60 + on highways. 99% of my usage is in city. I must say this mileage has been consistent through out the ownership and hope it continues the same (touch wood). My friends who own Pulsar and CBZ envy me for this sole reason.

You can check the Hero CBZ Extreme too which shares the same engine but tuned for little more power. (1 or 2 horses more than Unicorn If I am right).

Overall I would recommend Honda Unicorn for the silky smooth drive, hassle free ownership and peace of mind (read Honda reliability).

Do take a test drive of all those you have shortlisted and take a decision.

Good luck,
Abhi
Abhi_abarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 11:58   #36
BHPian

I agree with aagoswami. I have a APACHE RTR 180 and am fed up with wrist pains caused in city snarls and jams. The bent forward posture causes some part of your body weight to fall on your wrists and to make things worse potholes add to your wrist injury more. Also due to the bent forward posture your pillion (read your wife/GF) leans onto you more causing her weight to be transferred onto your back and then to your wrists. I strongly suggest bikes with commuterish positions without no bent forward positions. So this rules out apache, pulsar, fz, R15 etc.
Two things are required for comfort
a) Lack of vibrations and harshness. Engine should be smooth refined and vibration free. Best in segment is Honda Unicorn.
b) Good seating posture, a broad good comfortable seat for you and a long pillion seat to accomodate sometimes laptops or small bags between you and your pillion.

Unicorn is best in its segment for the above but the unishock absorber is not so great in absorbing shocks. I found it hard.
Unicorn also had good fuel efficeincy better than others only that the bike will be boring to ride but then you dont want a bike which later on becomes a pain to drive in city or on long rides.
GS 150 R should also be a good bike but then its sales and the availability of spare parts is a issue.
I would recommend you a Honda Shine with a front disc. It has all the good points mentioned above with a better fuel efficiency. Ideally a lighter bike is good for city commuting. A heavier higher cc bike is needed for open highways and big distances to cover in short time ( as during touring). Take your decision.
My friend has a Passion with disc brake (purchased because of my suggestion) and we both are really happy for it satisfies his complete city commuting requirements.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

A bike within 50K

Dear All,

I am looking for a bike within 50K. It is for Bangalore city use and mileage is the main criteria. Presently we are using a Bajaj Platina which has done 50k and we are happy with it.

Kindly advise if I should go for with another Platina which is cheap and best or please suggest other models worth trying.

Rgds,

Mods: Couldn't find a "What bike" thread. Please merge appropriately
coolclouds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

Re: A bike within 50K

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
I am looking for a bike within 50K. It is for Bangalore city use and mileage is the main criteria.
While another Platina is an option, you can also consider the new Boxer150. It is designed to be a no frills bike with a good suspension and designed to take on semi-urban bad road/no road conditions and also to return a good mileage. Comes with electric start as default option. Does not have disc brakes though. Worth a try if you like it. It should cost you a tad bit more than 50k in B'lore due to the sky high road tax here.

The other options in this range include the Hero Motors Spelndor and all its other iterations like NXG, Spelndor+, CD Deluxe, CD Dawn etc. All these will be 100cc motors.

TVS has the Star City in the 100cc and 110cc avatar. This should also be within your budget and satisfy most of your criteria.

Honda has 2 offerings, the Dream Yuga and Twister in this category. I think the Yuga falls in your budget while Twister might be costlier.

Test ride the bikes above and decide if you feel platina is still the better choice.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2012, 12:36   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Honda has 2 offerings, the Dream Yuga and Twister in this category. I think the Yuga falls in your budget while Twister might be costlier.

Test ride the bikes above and decide if you feel platina is still the better choice.
Thank you Abhinav. I will test drive Yuga though I haven't seen it in flesh. Any idea what is the mileage reported for Yuga?
Old 7th June 2012, 13:07   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what is the mileage reported for Yuga?
Well Yuga is nothing but Twister in simple clothes. So the mileage should be similar to Twister which is in the range of 60-65kmpl. It looks more like the Honda Shine with a smaller engine. Have not seen many on our roads yet. Will have to wait for real world figures if they are any different from the Twister. Official press release from Honda claims a mileage of 72kmpl but you can take that with a pinch (or pound ) of salt!

Just noticed that ex-showroom Delhi price of Yuga is around 45k. So it will also cross 50k budget but only marginally i hope.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th June 2012 at 13:09.
Old 7th June 2012, 14:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
HH Hunk a very good all rounder why haven't you considered it??
Thanks! I'll check out the Hunk as well.

@All: Thanks a ton for all those valuable suggestions. I am planning to the TD the following bikes this weekend:
  1. Honda Unicorn Dazzler
  2. Hero Hunk
  3. Hero CBZ Xtreme
  4. Suzuki GS
  5. Honda Twister
I'll keep you all posted.
Old 7th June 2012, 16:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Abhinav. I will test drive Yuga though I haven't seen it in flesh. Any idea what is the mileage reported for Yuga?
As per Honda2wheelers official website, the mileage is 72 KMPL
Old 7th June 2012, 21:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by su48 View Post
Thanks! I'll check out the Hunk as well.

@All: Thanks a ton for all those valuable suggestions. I am planning to the TD the following bikes this weekend:
  1. Honda Unicorn Dazzler
  2. Hero Hunk
  3. Hero CBZ Xtreme
  4. Suzuki GS
  5. Honda Twister
I'll keep you all posted.
If possible please try out the Hero Impulse as well and let us all know how it fares against the other, don’t know why I seem to have started liking this bike.
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 15:46   #44
BHPian

If you extend your budget just a bit, Pulsar 200 NS and Karizma, are within reach ! Big character bikes.

Everyone of us have different opinions here, and you will be confused rather.

All bikes that have been mentioned here are decent, may it be Pulsar, Gs150, Unicorn and so on.

Mostly all bikes have similar fuel economy in this segment, marginally differing from each other. And once when the bike has been bought, at least I don't think most of us keep a detailed track on the mileage. A few kms here and there are bound to differ.

None of the bikes are so badly built that they give troubles in the initial few years. And then after 5/7 years down the line one would be ultimately thinking of buying another bike.

Test driving each with a clear unbiased mind would only help.
Old 11th June 2012, 17:15   #45
BHPian

Following this topic for the entire last week and i am also in the same process of TD and finalizing 150cc MC. Going thru the comments and little bit of search, i have finalized the following three and my priorities are per below order,

1) Hero CBZ Extreme
2) Honda Unicorn Dazzler
3) Suzuki GS150R

Personally i don't like Pulsar (last bike was pulsar 150) due to it's vibrations and engine sound. Had driven Friend's RTR 160 for 400 - 500kms stretch in 3 days and felt not suitable for me for a daily drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks