Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 12:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Bajaj Pulsar 180 : Long term ownership report. Edit, sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
No, they dont do any such thing. When asked they say it is not required now.
Well then there is some sieve that should be cleaned prior to pouring fresh oil. Just ensure you get them to do it each time you change oil.

With regards to higher wattage bulbs, you will need a relay and some electrical work to be done by knowledgeable electrician. The downside would be it might drain your battery and shorten its life.

And your query about oil, after pouring the fresh oil, generally in the RTR, it will be slightly lesser than the MAX marking. Also ensure the old oil is drained when the engine is hot and the fresh oil is poured when the engine is cool wherever and whenever possible.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 12:48   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
And your query about oil, after pouring the fresh oil, generally in the RTR, it will be slightly lesser than the MAX marking. Also ensure the old oil is drained when the engine is hot and the fresh oil is poured when the engine is cool wherever and whenever possible.
Well in my case, the oil level was below the MIN mark(about 3mm below) which I guess is not at all acceptable. Its why I raised the issue in the service centre.

Will keep your advice in mind while going in for the next oil change.

Any suggestion for the brand and make of oil to be used?
Old 11th September 2012, 12:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Are they really doing this(replacing oil filter)? Any one checked in front of eyes?
It needs to open clutch cover and refit. In this case there will be a charge in bill for gasket also.
I don't think they would unless you ask them for it. Also considering it is just a sieve there is nothing much to replace. I had mine opened and cleaned using a pressure wash and it was good to go again. The filter costs about 30 bucks and then there is the cost of the gasket, so this is definitely not accounted for in the consumables.

Parik

Edit: I had my bike serviced at Castrol bike zone and the pictures of the sieve can be found here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-220-dtsi.html

Last edited by parik_ind : 11th September 2012 at 12:53. Reason: more info
Old 11th September 2012, 12:53   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any suggestion for the brand and make of oil to be used?
Below MIN mark is definitely not acceptable and good you raised it with the service centre.

Valvoline 20W50 or Motul 20W50 are good. Based on availability you can go with either.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:14   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Having completed 2200kms and done the 2nd oil change(@1750 kms), I faced a problem yesterday. I was riding at about 100kmph when I started slowing down due to approaching traffic. I felt loss of power, and when I eventually stopped at the traffic signal the bike died.

Tried the starter a few times but of no avail. Finally I turned the fuel tap to REServe and the bike started. The fuel indicator bar still had 3 sticks and there was no low fuel warning at that point of time.

After crossing the signal, I again turned the tap to ON and continued on. After about 6kms, the low fuel light came up with 2 bars of fuel left. After almost 9kms, the bike started jerking and I again turned the tap to RES. While returning home I tanked up and the FE came to 43.xx kmpl. I faced no other issues before or after the above incident.

Now, my query is, was the loss of power and engine dying due to bike turning into reserve? Is there any other problem?
Also the GB still feels hard and clunky though I was told that it will smoothen out after about 2k kms.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:36   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now, my query is, was the loss of power and engine dying due to bike turning into reserve? Is there any other problem?
This is a guess based on the RTR180 experience. Whenever I am ripping it above 3 digit speeds, the fuel indicator bars go down quicker and it feels as if the bike will hit reserve (I keep track of the no. of kms after the previous fill and this happens when there is about 15 odd kms left to hit reserve) anytime soon. But once i slow down, the bike runs a few more kms and then hits reserve. So guessing it could be due to bike hitting reserve. Lets wait for a few more knowledgeable guys to comment.

Quote:
Also the GB still feels hard and clunky though I was told that it will smoothen out after about 2k kms.
What engine oil are you using? Is the oil strainer being cleaned before filling fresh oil?
Old 8th October 2012, 16:14   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a guess based on the RTR180 .......

What engine oil are you using? Is the oil strainer being cleaned before filling fresh oil?
I have faced similar issue with my 1st bike, a caliber 115. But the bike used to hit reserve. In this case, the bike rode for another 8 kms before hittting reserve. Also the bike died completely when I slowed down.

Regarding the oil, I have used Castrol 20W40. This is my mistake. I didn't have time to go and buy Valvoline/Motul as you had suggested. Took the bike to my nearby castrol service centre and asked him to use Castrol Power1 15W50. He drained the oil and then said that he didn't have any 15W50 in stock. So I had to stick to 20W40.

Any problem with this oil? I plan to change it early, may be at 1200-1500kms.
Also it was 8 PM and he said that to clean the oil strainer, he needed 2 hrs atleast. Since the old oil was already drained, my hands were tied and I had to go ahead with the oil change, that too without oil filter cleaning.

I have covered some 500 kms since then. Should I change the oil again and clean the filter?
Old 8th October 2012, 16:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have faced similar issue with my 1st bike, a caliber 115. But the bike used to hit reserve. In this case, the bike rode for another 8 kms before hittting reserve. Also the bike died completely when I slowed down.
Has happened thrice in nearly 20,000kms so far in my bike too. After changing to reserve and back to main, the bike ran for 9kms, 12kms & 15kms respectively in the 3 occasions.

Quote:
Regarding the oil, I have used Castrol 20W40.
Any problem with this oil? I plan to change it early, may be at 1200-1500kms.....I have covered some 500 kms since then. Should I change the oil again and clean the filter?
I think the recommended is xW50 for Pulsar range IIRC. If that is the case then its best to drain out this oil, clean the oil strainer and fill fresh stock of either 15W50 or 20W50 (irrespective of brand you are able to procure). Check your manual again. If the rating is xW50 recommended then yes, please change the oil at your earliest convenience.

The winter rating (before the letter "W") can be lesser than prescribed, the summer rating (after the letter "W") should always be the same as mentioned or higher. The summer rating is the performance of the oil at higher temperature. So switching to xW40 might not offer the same protection as xW50 oil. Hence the cause for slight concern and the need to change the oil at the earliest.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Got my engine oil changed after riding around 700kms with the wrong spec oil(Castrol 20W40). I went looking for Valvoline/Motul but sadly enough the shopkeeper hadn't even heard of the brand names. Finally settled for Castrol 20W50. Upon changing the oil, there was marked difference in the gear shifts. They are lot less notchy now but still they are a bit hard and clunky. But the engine feels more smooth and vibe-free till upto 7k rpm range.

Completed 3 months and 2900 kms on 2nd Nov. Apart from some vibes from the plastics that has been dogging me since day 1, I am happy with the bike.

I am not satisfied with the stock headlamp bulb. I want to upgrade. Please can anyone suggest a good replacement with no/min. modification. I want good light throw in high/low beam as I plan to do some long highway runs. Also please can you let me know where I can procure the lamp in Bangalore?

I am planning to go from Bangalore to Goa this weekend(10th-13th Nov) on my bike. Actually we are 3 guys on 2 new Pulsar 180s. Any suggestions as what I should take care of my bike before going ahead with the journey?(I will be covering about 1500 kms total : day 1-650kms,day2-3 - 200 kms, day 4-650 kms).

Need your suggestions urgently.
Old 5th November 2012, 14:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not satisfied with the stock headlamp bulb. I want to upgrade. Please can anyone suggest a good replacement with no/min. modification. I want good light throw in high/low beam as I plan to do some long highway runs. Also please can you let me know where I can procure the lamp in Bangalore?
Head to JC Road. Check for Osram NightBreakers in the same wattage as your stock bulb. It is supposed to have better throw and requires no modification at all. (Dont have first hand experience of it though)

Quote:
I am planning to go from Bangalore to Goa this weekend(10th-13th Nov) on my bike. Actually we are 3 guys on 2 new Pulsar 180s. Any suggestions as what I should take care of my bike before going ahead with the journey?(I will be covering about 1500 kms total : day 1-650kms,day2-3 - 200 kms, day 4-650 kms).

Need your suggestions urgently.
Cursory suggestions:
  • Ensure your bike electrical components are faultless.
  • Check and top up battery electrolyte (if it is not a maintenance free battery), engine oil, disk brake fluid etc.
  • Tool kit and tubeless puncture repair kit.
  • Spare bulbs, spare tube for both tyres (in case you are unable to repair the puncture and you have to ride ahead), engine oil of the right grade.
  • If your helmet has removable visor then keep a clear visor for riding when the light is low and tinted one for the bright day.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 5th November 2012 at 14:56.
Old 5th November 2012, 15:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
I am not satisfied with the stock headlamp bulb. I want to upgrade.
There is a related thread. (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...lamp-bike.html)
(Alok) is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2012, 15:35   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Head to JC Road. Check for Osram NightBreakers in the same wattage as your stock bulb. It is supposed to have better throw and requires no modification at all. (Dont have first hand experience of it though)

Cursory suggestions:
  • Ensure your bike electrical components are faultless.
  • Check and top up battery electrolyte (if it is not a maintenance free battery), engine oil, disk brake fluid etc.
  • Tool kit and tubeless puncture repair kit.
  • Spare bulbs, spare tube for both tyres (in case you are unable to repair the puncture and you have to ride ahead), engine oil of the right grade.
  • If your helmet has removable visor then keep a clear visor for riding when the light is low and tinted one for the bright day.
I had been to JC road yesterday(from Marathalli) only to find all the shops closed. Is there any place which is closer to Marathalli as it will be difficult to go to JC road on a weekday and we plan to leave this Saturday.

I have listed the condition of my bike in the following thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2953776.

- Electricals are working fine as of now.
- Battery is maintenance fre.
- Will get a repair kit
- Tyres are tubeless so should I still carry tubes? Engine oil is fairly new, shouldn't be due for replacement till end of journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Thread seems old and not updated with latest details.
Old 5th November 2012, 17:17   #28
Senior - BHPian

The tubes are for an emergency situation only. The tyres are tubeless and will not strand you in between though there is a nail in the tyre. But in case it is a side wall puncture or worst case a very wide puncture which cannot be fixed a 100%, then a tube will come in handy. The highway stores will rob you and sell a substandard tube since its an emergency situation for you. So better to be prepared since the journey in the first leg is for a considerable distance.

Quote:
Tyres are tubeless so should I still carry tubes? Engine oil is fairly new, shouldn't be due for replacement till end of journey.
In Marathalli, it is very difficult to find good spare part stores for 2 wheelers. Once i was unable to find a good branded oil in the right grade even after searching for it right from the start of the bridge till Kundanahalli gate signal!! JC Road shops are open till afternoon on Sundays. I stay close to JC road. I shall enquire for you and let you know by tomorrow regarding the bulbs. If they can be fitted without any mods etc, i can buy them and get them near Marathalli for you.
Old 5th November 2012, 18:38   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The tubes are for an emergency situation only. The tyres are tubeless and will not strand you in between though there is a nail in the tyre. But in case it is a side wall puncture or worst case a very wide puncture which cannot be fixed a 100%, then a tube will come in handy. The highway stores will rob you and sell a substandard tube since its an emergency situation for you. So better to be prepared since the journey in the first leg is for a considerable distance.

In Marathalli, it is very difficult to find good spare part stores for 2 wheelers. Once i was unable to find a good branded oil in the right grade even after searching for it right from the start of the bridge till Kundanahalli gate signal!! JC Road shops are open till afternoon on Sundays. I stay close to JC road. I shall enquire for you and let you know by tomorrow regarding the bulbs. If they can be fitted without any mods etc, i can buy them and get them near Marathalli for you.
Thanks a lot. It would indeed be a great help if you can get me the indeed as it has been a cause for worry before my trip. Thanks again.
Old 14th November 2012, 13:48   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Just came back from a trip Bangalore-Goa-Bangalore on my bike. A total of 1570 kms covered over 4 days.

Day 1: 692 kms including 80kms in city area and 70 kms in rural roads, rest highways.
Day 2: 105 kms in Goa city
Day 3: 70 kms in Goa city
Day 4: 699 kms including 50+ kms in city, 40 kms rural roads and rest highways.

Total fuel consumed : almost 38+ Ltrs.
FE: 40+ kmpl

Speeds maintained: 85-100 kmph on highways
45-55 kmph in city

Top Speed attained: 125 kmph after which rev limiter kicked in.

Showstopper Issues: None

Issues at hand: Chain squeeling
Front fairing rattle
Engine sounding gruff and a bit loud(sounds as if the piston is banging away madly at the head) - any leads why is this?
My local mech says the oil has lost viscosity which is why it is sounding gruff and loud. Can a simple oil change solve this?

Final ODO reading standing at 4572 kms. Will be taking the bike for the 2nd free service this weekend and sort these issues if possible by them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks