Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 10:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
You make it sound so simple... I almost got up and went to fix it,

Thanks to your suggestion, I was peering at the foot rests of every Avenger that I passed. They actually look more comfortable than the TBTS's. In fact the position of the break pedal is superb.
Trust me its simple, ensure you have cables that are 3 meters. Remove the tank from the frame so that you can route it across. Check for the color of cables that are used, usually red is positive and black is negative. You can then map it to positive & negative on your gadget. Cut the positive cable and insert a fusebox. Check for manufacturer specs on your gadget for the right amps so that you can put in a fuse of similar reading.

Suggest you to put in a cigarette lighter instead of the present one you have as it will be a universal fit. You dont have to repeat this exercise every time you change the phone. Cigarette lighter can power on anything you would want to including a stove if you plan to pitch tent overnight. Ensure the battery is in prime position and regulator is working optimally.

Have not mapped the TB Foot Pedal so I cannot comment much on how you would want to fit the Avenger pedal on it. My apologies.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 11:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got me!
Actually I was just experimenting, to figure out how much I could carry and if other than the saddle bags, one could carry a backpack on a long journey. The back pack that I was car rying did not actually rest its weight on my shoulders. I just shrugged it on and let the weight rest on the back seat. Had a waist belt to hold it in place. All said, I would rather carry a very small back pack. I found that with a slight shift in the position of my big backpack, the bike's balance would also shift.
To answer your question specifically: It had a DSLR, a laptop, a sleeping bag, a torch, bungee cords, etc.
Use the bungee cords. Even better, get a 4 or 8 hook octopus (always keep one in spare). Get bungee nets for the smaller, lighter stuff, just to keep them in lace and prevent them from flapping around. Golden rule on longer rides is to never have anything on your shoulders. Though to be honest, a 230 km round trip does not classify as one. But anything above 3-4 hours in the saddle one way, best not to have anything on your person.

Quote:
Thanks ebonho. How do you use them? What I mean to ask is, since you would be wearing a helmet, do you use some kind of earphones? Also what about the noise/clarity?
There is a clip which we use to clip it on to our jacket collars (like the American cops). There is a transmit button. Its not ideal but you can hear and speak while on the move. We even tried the experiment of making a hole in one side of a helmet and taping the walkie talkie over it on the outside. Much better, but not great for the helmet's structural integrity so gave up that idea. At rest, on the ground, the reception is great (as long as there are no major hills or huge buildings in between) till 3 kms (we have tried this in Pune in the heart of Camp).

Quote:
Also, I assume these are the legal version. Excuse my persistence please, I wish to be sure as I would not want to get into any trouble with the army, in Ladakh.
I was thinking that only AM/FM bands are allowed. At least, that is the understanding courtesy this thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...e-india-2.html
I have no idea about the legalities bro. For me personally, on tour, most of my batchmates are now lieutnant colonels in the fauj, so I usually pull rank by proxy.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:22   #33
BHPian

Congrats on the ride. Am sure its a monster on the highway.

Quote:
I had set the trip meter to zero before starting off, and here is the reading that I checked this morning. Well for all those interested in the bike's average, please have a look:
Attachment 1034895

Yes, 50 KMPL

Headlights:

Are you sure its 50 Kmpl or was it showing your avg speed of 50 Kmph.
Ikoner_03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:54   #34
BHPian

Btw, are the new crashbars for TB 500 available in Hyderabad or anywhere else for that reason? RE folks at Bangalore were still awaiting it last weekend when I went to check my booking.
Old 8th January 2013, 16:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Hi Insearch!

Beautifully written review, makes me want to live that kind of life, closer to nature. Your simple writting connects immediately with the reader, congrats and ride safe!

BTW I was at the Bidar Gurudwara on 4th Jan in the evening as had some work at Zaheerabad.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 23:11   #36
BHPian

Congrats on your BULL. Very nicely written first take. Awesome.

Just a few things I learnt from my TB500 :

1. It's not FE / avg/ mileage that you see on the odo. It's avg. speed. KMPH ( if you noticed )

2. The instruments panel will have FE in MPG ( miles per gallon, once it will be launched in USA / UK etc. ) This feature is not in the current TB500 (yeah, I am dissapointed )

3. In case you are getting 33-50 KMPL. Get your Bike checked as any 500 CC engine should not / cannot give this kind of average. it means that your bike is running too lean.

4. I took my TB500 to 90 kmph, just once though & it was so smooth & when I tried to juice it up a bit, it felt like TB was ready for more.

PS : Loved your posts in page 1

Last edited by shan2129 : 8th January 2013 at 23:12.
shan2129 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 13:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Ahhh That is one fine motorcycle, and a better narration for company!! Congratulations on the new machine. It must be such a delight to ride on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
a humble thanks. Yes it is a pleasure to ride the bike on less busy roads. I hope and pray that you too find your riding Nirvana, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Trust me its simple, ensure you have cables that are 3 meters. Remove the tank from the frame so that you can route it across. ....
Since you have faith in my skills, I will try this and promise to get back to you with the results. But if I mess up the wiring,you will have to contribute: I will invite you to Hyderabad for a personal lesson in bike maintenance and a ride. Hope you will accept.
Your idea of the cigarette lighter is really a well thought out solution. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Use the bungee cords. Even better, get a 4 or 8 hook octopus (always keep one in spare). Get bungee nets for the smaller, lighter stuff, just to keep them in lace and prevent them from flapping around. Golden rule on longer rides is to never have anything on your shoulders. Though to be honest, a 230 km round trip does not classify as one. But anything above 3-4 hours in the saddle one way, best not to have anything on your person.
Noted, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

...I have no idea about the legalities bro. For me personally, on tour, most of my batchmates are now lieutnant colonels in the fauj, so I usually pull rank by proxy.
Wow! That is so cool! a college friend is the same rank now, in the army. I have been pumping him to join the ride, since that would make us all feel more secure and comfortable.
Anyway, I still have time to analyse the best option and will put up the final result eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Btw, are the new crashbars for TB 500 available in Hyderabad or anywhere else for that reason? RE folks at Bangalore were still awaiting it last weekend when I went to check my booking.
Just called Go green motors and checked . they have them. Would you like me to buy them and send them across? As long as the gentleman reading this post pays .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick5490 View Post
Hi Insearch!

Beautifully written review, makes me want to live that kind of life, closer to nature. Your simple writting connects immediately with the reader, congrats and ride safe!

BTW I was at the Bidar Gurudwara on 4th Jan in the evening as had some work at Zaheerabad.
Wishing you many moments of joyful solitude with your ride!
In fact there is a story regarding Bidar, which will come up in the next update, along with the first service experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
Congrats on your BULL. Very nicely written first take. Awesome.

Just a few things I learnt from my TB500 :

1. It's not FE / avg/ mileage that you see on the odo. It's avg. speed. KMPH ( if you noticed )

2. The instruments panel will have FE in MPG ( miles per gallon, once it will be launched in USA / UK etc. ) This feature is not in the current TB500 (yeah, I am dissapointed )

3. In case you are getting 33-50 KMPL. Get your Bike checked as any 500 CC engine should not / cannot give this kind of average. it means that your bike is running too lean.

4. I took my TB500 to 90 kmph, just once though & it was so smooth & when I tried to juice it up a bit, it felt like TB was ready for more.

PS : Loved your posts in page 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikoner_03 View Post
Congrats on the ride. Am sure its a monster on the highway.

Are you sure its 50 Kmpl or was it showing your avg speed of 50 Kmph.
Thanks shan2129. Please do keep sharing your experiences.

To you (shan2129), Ikoner_03, and everyone else reading this thread: I believe I have got the fuel efficiency figures wrong and will run a test this weekend to get the correct numbers. Apologies to all.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Your idea of the cigarette lighter is really a well thought out solution. Thanks.
Sure, do capture a video if possible so that it becomes easier for others as well to emulate it. You might have to buy a few black colored cable ties so that the cables do not hang loose with a bit of plastic jacket to give it a professional look once completed.
Many thanks for your offer, am tied up with work over the next 4 weekends with a couple of rides and overnight tents. However we can plan for a ride and catch up midway on the Bangalore - Hyderabad highway. Will be my pleasure to share some smokes, chai & breakfast with you
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2013, 13:59   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday, I finally took the bike out for a drive. Went to Bidar and prayed at the Gurudwara. Total distance covered, to and fro, was 230 kilometers. I drove most of the time between 70 and 80 KMPH, slowing down to 60, sometimes. While the bike has a strong push till 60, things get sedate after that. At one place I stopped for asking directions and when I took off, the front wheel went slightly up in the air as I opened the throttle. I was not expecting this and quite appreciated the eagerness. On the other hand, once 65 is crossed, opening the throttle produces a roar that is more beautiful, than the pickup that accompanies it. In fact it behaved more like an Innova beyond that, just producing adequate pick up to overtake comfortably. All I am saying is that while some form of zipping is possible till 60, not beyond that. Sure a 500 cc motor could be better at those speeds, but since we are talking cruisers, the bike does its job. It was a comfortable journey as far as the bike is concerned. But having been completely out of practice, my hips wanted rest much sooner than my brain appreciated. So I found a nice shady place, by the road, to park the bike.
Attachment 1034896

Looking up, stretched myself on the mat and watched the leaves fall on my chest and face. Nice weather, snoozed for 30 minutes and then was off again.
Attachment 1034897

I had set the trip meter to zero before starting off, and here is the reading that I checked this morning. Well for all those interested in the bike's average, please have a look:
Attachment 1034895

Yes, 50 KMPL

Headlights:

At high beam the bike throws a beam parallel to the road and illuminates more of what is on the road, rather than the road itself. This is perfect when you are blinded by the lights of oncoming vehicles, because one does not want to bang into cycles and other un-illuminated vehicles on the road, which are aplenty. The low beam lights up a semi-circle starting from the bike and extending 40 odd meters. This is what I use on dark roads, where traffic is less. Illumination is good. When blinded by other vehicles' headlights, I switch to high beam for reasons just explained above and use the light scattered in front of me to navigate the road.

Now, I have a couple of questions of my own:

I have bought a charger that I wish to install on the bike. It is supposed to be hooked into the ignition wires and should automatically start charging once the bike hums to life. Has anyone used anything like this? What are the pros and cons?
Attachment 1034898

Or would it be better to buy an external battery, charge it and then charge your mobile etc., from it?

I wish to put up a Citizen Band Radio, on the bike, some time over the next few months. Anybody using it? Any tips?
If it requires a longer discussion, we could take it up off this thread.

Please help.
A small correction mate. The bike is certainly not giving you a 50 Kilo Metres per litre. What is indicated here is thr average speed over the journey and it is 50 KPH.
Old 9th January 2013, 14:48   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Just called Go green motors and checked . they have them. Would you like me to buy them and send them across? As long as the gentleman reading this post pays .
Ha Ha. If they are not available here by the time my bike turns up (!??!), I'll take your offer and pay upfront.

Quote:
Many thanks for your offer, am tied up with work over the next 4 weekends with a couple of rides and overnight tents. However we can plan for a ride and catch up midway on the Bangalore - Hyderabad highway. Will be my pleasure to share some smokes, chai & breakfast with you
I like this idea. If this is sometime in Feb, even I can join from Bangalore. Hopefully my bike would turn up then and I can complete my run in!
ventoman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 10:54   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Sure, do capture a video if possible so that it becomes easier for others as well to emulate it....Many thanks for your offer, am tied up with work over the next 4 weekends with a couple of rides and overnight tents. However we can plan for a ride and catch up midway on the Bangalore - Hyderabad highway. Will be my pleasure to share some smokes, chai & breakfast with you
Hey ku69rd, you really are very good with this stuff of motivating and making things sound simple and easy. And here I am thinking: What is a fuse box, red cable white cable, 3 meter wire, and now we are talking of giving it a professional finish! To top it a video too!. Hold your horses o Ye of Alexander's army, I need to gather my skirts.
Yesterday, after reading your post, I went looking at the bike to see how many nuts I have to loosen to take the fuel tank off and I could not find one. But, But, I am not giving up yet. The weekend starts day after and I am going out to buy myself a tool kit (This sounds too much fun). Any suggestions? Also what kind of a shopkeeper stocks fuses? Yes you have the right to laugh and not remain silent, ahem..
You've got a life! Rides and tents... MMM. Sounds good and the ride, will be a pleasure. I am sure I could learn a few things.

Quote:
Ha Ha. If they are not available here by the time my bike turns up (!??!), I'll take your offer and pay upfront.

I like this idea. If this is sometime in Feb, even I can join from Bangalore. Hopefully my bike would turn up then and I can complete my run in!
You are welcome, but I do hope you get your bike soon. There is a certain pleasure in these things, which does not do well under the stress of waiting. February is as good a time as any. A Saturday would be nice, please suggest a place and I will start planning/dreaming. Also hopefully, you should have been able to run in the bike for the first 500 Km and get it serviced, before coming, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
A small correction mate. The bike is certainly not giving you a 50 Kilo Metres per litre. What is indicated here is thr average speed over the journey and it is 50 KPH.
Now you have really got me there, Sire. I need to reveal to you what I look like. Do you have kids? Ever seen an excited toddler, no? Ok here is a picture of me:
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-dog.jpg
No, no, that IS me. Just that it is not a photograph. So you see, if you see the toddler in me, you will find it easier to forgive.
Old 10th January 2013, 12:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hey ku69rd, you really are very good with this stuff of motivating and making things sound simple and easy.
Quote:
Hey ku69rd,
You've got a life! Rides and tents... MMM. Sounds good and the ride, will be a pleasure. I am sure I could learn a few things.
Insearch,
Please take out the seats for you to access the petrol tank. But ensure you have the right tools, do not USE C Shaped Spanner but use the ring spanner. The nuts can get very easily rounded if you use C Shaped Spanners. You might require to buy the Ring Spanner (not sure on the size) and Tubular Spanners for nuts that are difficult to access. Once you have these tools it will be a very simple job. If you are a bit apprehensive as I can understand this is your BRAND NEW Bike, you might want to watch this being done by the service station folks which will give you the complete knowledge.
Fuse box would be good so that your gadget or battery does not blow up and ensure it is located in an easily reachable slot. Since this would be a single fuse you can buy any fuse box from the market. Any automobile spares shop will stock fuse boxes but ensure you buy the fuse of the right amp reading.

Regarding the rides and tents, well they are small mercies in life mate.
Thanks for your kind words and we should catch up. Do PM me your email address and we shall have a blind ride, have had enough of blind dates

Ventoman,
Am game for the ride. We can discuss this offline if you can PM me your email address.
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 13:55   #43
BHPian

Had fun reading your posts Insearch! Am in a classical dilemma on avenger 220 vs Thunderbird 500. Two things against the Thunderbird are it's price and the fact that i might not go touring. Looking forward to more of your posts that might tilt me one way or the other
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 15:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Had fun reading your posts Insearch! Am in a classical dilemma on avenger 220 vs Thunderbird 500. Two things against the Thunderbird are it's price and the fact that i might not go touring. Looking forward to more of your posts that might tilt me one way or the other
Get the thinderbird 500...! You'll never regret it. On the other hand, if you get the avenger, you may regret not getting the thunderbird.
I own a classic 500. I've never been touring too. I only use it for my daily commute and the occasional long ride outside the city. But the pleasure of riding these bikes makes them well worth the amount and waiting period required to get a hold of them.
enfield_500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 17:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Excellent thread Insearc. Love the pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
Get the thinderbird 500...! You'll never regret it. On the other hand, if you get the avenger, you may regret not getting the thunderbird.
I have been yearning (and saving) to buy a TBTS 350 for some time. Now with the new launches, any reason why I should be looking at the 500? I will be using mainly for my commute and an occasional short drive (<200km return). I dont ride at speeds more than 80.

A fellow bhpian questioned why I was going in for the 350. But if I consider the 500, it is out of budget for now.
What would I lose? Is it still ok to get the new 350?

I dont want an Avenger or any other bike. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I felt my concerns could be answered here!
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks