Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2013, 17:13   #46
BHPian

Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Excellent thread Insearc. Love the pics!

I have been yearning (and saving) to buy a TBTS 350 for some time. Now with the new launches, any reason why I should be looking at the 500? I will be using mainly for my commute and an occasional short drive (<200km return). I dont ride at speeds more than 80.

A fellow bhpian questioned why I was going in for the 350. But if I consider the 500, it is out of budget for now.
What would I lose? Is it still ok to get the new 350?

I dont want an Avenger or any other bike. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I felt my concerns could be answered here!
See, if buying the 500 is not TOO much of a stretch, I'd say, go in for the 500--you won't regret it! Its not much about the top speed with these bikes; its the way they get you to that top speed that makes the difference (between the 350 and the 500). The 500s just have this sweet low- to mid-range torque that is so satisfying. I'be been using my classic 500 for daily commuting (~70 kms a day) for about 8 months now, and its been absolutely great. These UCEs are really low maintenance (some may not agree), and if you take good care of the bike and ride her well, she will perform beautifully with no major issues.
All the best with your decision man!
enfield_500 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 17:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A fellow bhpian questioned why I was going in for the 350. But if I consider the 500, it is out of budget for now.
Mate,
This is what I could find from the RE Website. Appears like there is a difference of 8 BHP & 13NM of Torque which does translate to quite a difference. The 500 should be able to cruise at a steady 100 to 110 all day long compared to the 350.

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/...-350/#!compare

More importantly the 500 comes with a Fuel Injector which would translate into lower maintenance efforts compared to the Carburetor version of 350.
Regarding reliability it would be better if you could ask owners.

If I were you, would save that lil bit extra and plump in for the 500 cause it might give you a better engine life as doing a 80 KMPH will be easier and not straining the engine like that of a 350. (RPM will be lower on a 500 to achieve 80 KMPH compared to that on a 350 where the RPM will be higher)

Last edited by ku69rd : 10th January 2013 at 17:56. Reason: Inserted the link
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 00:39   #48
BHPian

Insearch - all i can say is keep thumping or rather humming (as from your posts). Another one joins the RE club and as you said the reason for not opting for cbr 250 is the kind of response - your thread is already at 4 pages ! Lets see how many we can count on the New TB 350 - Regarding the setup of the charging unit - I own an old TB the tank is just 2 nuts two remove - but your one seems to be a lil complicated - try and check the instruction manual to see how if it has any information or best bet is just stop over at the go green motors on your way to work and ask the mechanic.

Hope we will meet up for a ride!

Regards
Acclero is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 01:34   #49
BHPian

Quote:

I have been yearning (and saving) to buy a TBTS 350 for some time. Now with the new launches, any reason why I should be looking at the 500? I will be using mainly for my commute and an occasional short drive (<200km return). I dont ride at speeds more than 80.

I dont want an Avenger or any other bike. Sorry to hijack the thread, but I felt my concerns could be answered here!
Your compliments are accepted with a bowed head. I will address the Avenger also, let me address the 350 first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield_500 View Post
See, if buying the 500 is not TOO much of a stretch, I'd say, go in for the 500--you won't regret it!...
All the best with your decision man!
Sounds good advice to me. But in his mind, I think it may be the price difference that the 500 has to justify.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Mate,
This is what I could find from the RE Website. Appears like there is a difference of 8 BHP & 13NM of Torque which does translate to quite a difference. The 500 should be able to cruise at a steady 100 to 110 all day long compared to the 350.

http://royalenfield.com/motorcycles/...-350/#!compare

More importantly the 500 comes with a Fuel Injector which would translate into lower maintenance efforts compared to the Carburetor version of 350.
Regarding reliability it would be better if you could ask owners.

If I were you, would save that lil bit extra and plump in for the 500 cause it might give you a better engine life as doing a 80 KMPH will be easier and not straining the engine like that of a 350. (RPM will be lower on a 500 to achieve 80 KMPH compared to that on a 350 where the RPM will be higher)
ku69rd, I would have said they feel as different as chalk and cheese, if I did not know any better (They are both basically the UCE engine with different capacities). Also, since I have already made my technical limitations known, thanks for answering the query with specifics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Had fun reading your posts Insearch! Am in a classical dilemma on avenger 220 vs Thunderbird 500. Two things against the Thunderbird are it's price and the fact that i might not go touring. Looking forward to more of your posts that might tilt me one way or the other
Thanks Paliontile.
For you and the others copied on this post above, my views on the bullet 350 vs 500 First. (Will share my limited knowledge and views on the Avenger also, next.)

A colleague has bought the bullet 350 standard. Couple of days back we both decided to test each other's bikes. Here is a snap of his bike.
I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-350.jpg
He was surprised by the pick up of the 500 and the general feeling of being planted on the road. Also to him, the gear shifts were smoother on the 500. We both agreed that the breaking on the 500 is better.
While he raced away on my Thunderbird, I followed on the 350, and had my own set of experiences:
The Whole ergonomics of the 350 is very old world. The bike seems to tell you that it is this square object and it is up to you to fit the not so square human body around it. I was immediately appreciative of the Thunderbird's comfortable cruiser styling and the way the bike seems to be contoured for its rider.
The feel of the break was really different. The 350 demands more pressure on the rear break, but does not respond accordingly (Me thinks that this can be put down to the puny rear tyre, in comparison to the one on the bird).
The Thunderbird stands taller, but sitting on top of it you feel inserted somewhere within the bike, rather than top of it, looking down, which is the feeling you get on the 350. Also the engine sounded gruff. The pick up after 70 may be described as less than responsive. You would have to be careful to find a long stretch if overtaking while speeding from 70 to 80.

I feel anyone who is considering the 350 UCE, should try out the 500 once to understand the difference. And in the flesh, it feels much more than the technical differences highlighted by ku69rd.

Quote:
Get the thinderbird 500...! You'll never regret it. On the other hand, if you get the avenger, you may regret not getting the thunderbird.
I own a classic 500. I've never been touring too. I only use it for my daily commute and the occasional long ride outside the city. But the pleasure of riding these bikes makes them well worth the amount and waiting period required to get a hold of them.
Since I am only in the first month of ownership, it feels good to hear your comments on the bike, enfield_500.
Coming to the Avenger, now:

In my last job profile, I used to travel to many cities within India, every month.
There is no city in India, where I have seen as many Avengers, as I see in Mumbai. There is something about the bike that young men in Mumbai have found worthwhile to plonk their money on. I feel it would be safe to assume that one of the core reasons for the popularity is the comfortable riding posture, other than the price. Also, Mumbai's traffic does not give you many opportunities to stretch the bike's legs. Hence, top end performance may not have relevance in day to day life. Also, for a sedate driver, a highway speed of 70-80 may be good enough (I am one of them).

So in the debate of 500 versus 350 versus Avenger:
1. Safe to compare the 350 with the Avenger. And I would vote for the Avenger
2. The 500 being a bigger engine is overall a better cruiser than both the above and hence, if you are ok with the high price, then there is no debate.

If price is the issue, here are my two cents to resolve the problem:
If you are going to keeep the bike for long and see it more than a point A to Point B commuter, stretch yourself a bit. In the long run, as you grow professionally, you will find that you are thankfull to yourself for having stretched and not made a compromise. A compromise is easier to make than to live with.
You will find that you do not outgrow it too soon and are not forced to live with a machine which given the resource constraints, was just adequate in the past, but now feels a drag. In other words it is easier to live with a dream fulfilled and some extra expenses, if you were passionate about the choice and not just rational.
Insearch is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 09:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
See, if buying the 500 is not TOO much of a stretch, I'd say, go in for the 500--you won't regret it! Its not much about the top speed with these bikes; its the way they get you to that top speed that makes the difference (between the 350 and the 500). The 500s just have this sweet low- to mid-range torque that is so satisfying.
To be honest, even the TB 350 is a bit of a stretch, but will manage somehow. If I think of the 500, it would be way out of budget and I may end up delaying the purchase. I am paranoid that the delay will lead to a cancellation. I already have two other bikes and two cars. There are only 2 driving people in my family including me. I dont intend to bore you, just trying to say the TB purchase could be written off as unnecessary!

Quote:
Appears like there is a difference of 8 BHP & 13NM of Torque which does translate to quite a difference. The 500 should be able to cruise at a steady 100 to 110 all day long compared to the 350.
Thanks for the linky! I agree with the points you raised, just that I will be below 80 about 99% of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
For you and the others copied on this post above, my views on the bullet 350 vs 500 First. (Will share my limited knowledge and views on the Avenger also, next.)
A colleague has bought the bullet 350 standard.
I am considering the Thunderbird 350, not the standard.
I do agree with your observations about stretching the budget now rather than kicking myself later.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

I have one more question, but the time limit for editing seems to have gone. Mods, please merge with above post if possible.

Is the foot rest placed a bit further ahead on the 500 than on the 350 ? (thunderbirds only)
Old 11th January 2013, 10:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Whole ergonomics of the 350 is very old world. The bike seems to tell you that it is this square object and it is up to you to fit the not so square human body around it. I was immediately appreciative of the Thunderbird's comfortable cruiser styling and the way the bike seems to be contoured for its rider.

Mate,
You are just being too good. This is what the real world difference is irrespective of whatever technical figures I can quote since I know to read the manual pretty well. But you were very good with translating it into common man's words.

Good Stuff
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 11:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The 350 would be more than adequate for you. To be brutally honest there is something like a 10 kmph difference max between the 500 and the 350. Any model, any engine. And the 350s drink less, and cost less - to buy and maintain.

Its only while climbing under load that the 500s really come into their own. And here they actually sip less than the 350s as you go higher into the clouds.

P.S. Even a half century old Bullet would not break into a sweat doing 80. All day if needed. The modern engines like the AVLs and the UCEs breathe better, run cooler, are more efficient, and faster. So honestly, for what you have described, you can buy anything and it will not be found wanting.

Even an Avenger

Last edited by ebonho : 11th January 2013 at 11:39.
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:07   #54
BHPian

Thanks Insearch for all the comparos! The biggest points in favor of the TB 500 are the rear discs and the split seats which might be more comfortable for the pillion rider. Comparatively Avenger has a pathetic rear seat :( I've drooled over avengers since the time when it was kawasaki eliminator. And then came the TB 350. In between i had a chance to ride the yamaha enticer for a week or so in the city and absolutely loved the riding position. I have a thing for this riding pos, where (just as you said) you are integrated into the bike, rather than just being ON it!

Considering the budgetary requirements, i might as well wait another year then before going in for the TB 500. It hardly took a month to decide on buying my palio MJD, but to buy my first bike - it's taking close to a decade!!!
paliontile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:37   #55
BHPian

@ Insearch

Very well written, guess you can take up writing as a profession if it is already not!

Won't believe me but I went to a meeting late, coz I could not stop reading the whole post!

For a second I thought whether I should take a TD of 500 TB and was wondering whether should think of exchanging the Avenger for a TB!

I also enjoyed the self-effacing style of gentle humor - ten thumbs et al!

Wishing you miles (kilometres doesn't nice somehow) of happiness and safe driving!

I hope I will see you some time on Hyderabad roads - now that I know the helmet that you have
soonya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 16:20   #56
Senior - BHPian

RE has one of the worst A.S.S, have found only couple of mechs who can tune my 535 properly till this date... saying that now i will think twice owning a bike with the "fuel injector" which is much more complex to fix in comparison to the carbs.

Talking about the power, i could all day cruise at 90+kmph on my Machismo (AVL/5speed), TBTS looks much more promising...

So think hard and dont just buy a 500cc just for the sake of owning a higher CC bike, esp if you have budget crunch thier are loads of them who are happily touring in thier CI/AVL 350's...

Also the 350cc is fuel efficient.

Have fun

Quote:

Last edited by lohithrao : 11th January 2013 at 16:21.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 16:54   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go ahead with the TD 350. Most people are doing so. TBTS 500 is the preferred choice if you like to tour, do not have any budget limitations + want to have the mental satisfaction of having the best that is available ( if you believe in the dictum "Bigger is Better"). The new TBTS 350 is a very good machine in itself.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users

Quote:
Your compliments are accepted with a bowed head. I will address the Avenger also, let me address the 350 first.
Beautifully put Insearch. Moreover, buying a RE product is as much about passion and emotion as it it about getting a bike that gets you from point A to point B.

Paliontile, I would like to add my two bits as well on the choice between a TBTS 350 and an Avenger:

The Avenger may be a practical bike, but does it have the character a TBTS 350 has. The Avenger is just any othr bike, while as an RE is a classic which will continue to give you pleasure over the years.

RE bikes also hold their values very well in the second hand market ( Only time will tell if the same is true for the new TB's as well) due to the passionate fan following as well as the demad and supply mismatch.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2013 at 10:44. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
rajneeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 18:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
saying that now i will think twice owning a bike with the "fuel injector" which is much more complex to fix in comparison to the carbs.
Lohith,
Am new to Bullet world to be very honest with you. Always thought that Fuel Injected bikes would be easy to maintain as they do not need frequent tampering or tuning. Believe the factory maps are good for basic
Please do correct me if am wrong with my understanding here.
On the contrary I do know of an after market ECU that has been developed locally to a cost that is slowly entering the market for Bullets 500 which can make life very interesting.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 20:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Insearch,
Regarding the rides and tents, well they are small mercies in life mate.
Thanks for your kind words and we should catch up. Do PM me your email address and we shall have a blind ride, have had enough of blind dates
Ventoman,
Am game for the ride. We can discuss this offline if you can PM me your email address.
ku69rd, I think I am not allowed to PM, being a Newbie. But just wait a bit, I should reach the 25th post milestone soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclero View Post
Insearch - all i can say is keep thumping or rather humming (as from your posts). Another one joins the RE club and as you said the reason for not opting for cbr 250 is the kind of response - your thread is already at 4 pages ! Lets see how many we can count on the New TB 350 - Regarding the setup of the charging unit - I own an old TB the tank is just 2 nuts two remove - but your one seems to be a lil complicated - try and check the instruction manual to see how if it has any information or best bet is just stop over at the go green motors on your way to work and ask the mechanic.

Hope we will meet up for a ride!

Regards
Thanks for reading the posts, Acclero.
The tank may actually be easy to take out, just that I need to learn. I had actually taken the charger, along with the bike, to the service centre, but they refused to play with the electricals and recommended that I get it done outside. ku69rd has shared how to take the tank off. Tomorrow morning is the D-Day! Regarding the instruction manual, please scroll down to my response to ku69rd's post.
And happy to join for a ride, any suggestions?

Quote:
I have one more question, but the time limit for editing seems to have gone. Mods, please merge with above post if possible.

Is the foot rest placed a bit further ahead on the 500 than on the 350 ? (thunderbirds only)
Your earlier question has been aptly answered by ebonho, so I will not take a shot at it. Regarding the second query: I just called the showroom and checked. They say that the difference is only in the cubic capacity of the bikes. Other wise they are the same. I had specifically enquired about the sitting posture, positioning of the breaks, etc.

Quote:
Mate,
You are just being too good. This is what the real world difference is irrespective of whatever technical figures I can quote since I know to read the manual pretty well. But you were very good with translating it into common man's words.

Good Stuff
Thanks for the appreciation, feels good. Meanwhile, I have something to share.
I was actually hoping to share it in my first service, review post, and it would have formed the core of it. Anyway here goes...
I have not been given an owner's manual YET! On the day of the delivery I was told to come back in a week, which I did, twice. Then at the time of the first service also, I had to do without the manual. It is thanks to the effort and kindness of this forum's members that I had the correct information on running in, noise detection, and just being calm in the face of chaos at RE. But as I have stated earlier, I think they are lacking in their systems and processes, than the attitude of people. Of course not all people are helpful, but that is exactly what processes are supposed to take care of.
Your and other members' inputs have been thanked for this very reason. And that is why, while I am a bit worried, but am hopeful that, with the help of forum members I will be able to manage the bike, well. That is also the reason that I am keen to know my bike, rather than rely on the A.S.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
Thanks Insearch for all the comparos! The biggest points in favor of the TB 500 are the rear discs and the split seats which might be more comfortable for the pillion rider. Comparatively Avenger has a pathetic rear seat :( I've drooled over avengers since the time when it was kawasaki eliminator. And then came the TB 350. In between i had a chance to ride the yamaha enticer for a week or so in the city and absolutely loved the riding position. I have a thing for this riding pos, where (just as you said) you are integrated into the bike, rather than just being ON it!

Considering the budgetary requirements, i might as well wait another year then before going in for the TB 500. It hardly took a month to decide on buying my palio MJD, but to buy my first bike - it's taking close to a decade!!!
Please do have a look at ebonho's post above.
And, a decade's wait deserves a sweet dessert, so I would say, wait till your heart attunes to the right ride and just tells you, "This is the one for me".
Also while this is conjecture on my part, but I do feel that since RE sold more than 75,000 bikes in a category with hardly any real competition, competition will defilitely up its game. Rajeev Bajaj has already said in an interview, that they need to be there in more categories, to continue with their growth.
RE's cost more than a lakh, so 75000 bike sales is a good number and because of the demand, they have a very healthy profit margin, which others will want to tap into, soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonya View Post
@ Insearch

Very well written, guess you can take up writing as a profession if it is already not!

Won't believe me but I went to a meeting late, coz I could not stop reading the whole post!

For a second I thought whether I should take a TD of 500 TB and was wondering whether should think of exchanging the Avenger for a TB!

I also enjoyed the self-effacing style of gentle humor - ten thumbs et al!

Wishing you miles (kilometres doesn't nice somehow) of happiness and safe driving!

I hope I will see you some time on Hyderabad roads - now that I know the helmet that you have
Hey soonya, thanks for the warm words and wishes. Really is good to know that my writing does not jarr. And regarding, recognising the helmet:

If you find him, let me know, since he is In-search himself .
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks