Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 14:54   #91
BHPian

Re: I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
Rs. 189.24 saved! How about a cup of coffee ? Since you did your research, I am comforted by the fact that you also narrowed it down to the same product.

By the way, has anyone tried a bracket mount to hold the GPS on their bikes? I am thinking that it may be a good idea for a long ride. Unless the shaking stirs the GPS too much.
Sure thing...Look me up whenever you come over to Bangalore

As for the GPS mount, I personally have not got too much confidence in them, I would prefer to keep my phone in the top pouch of my tank bag (which is transparent). I have seen others use the phone arm-band cases and strap it on to their handle bars.
Old 19th January 2013, 01:28   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Insearch,

Is that road somewhere around Kokapet/Gandipet/Dontanpalli?

Btw, I have a mobile phone mount lying with me. Havent gotten around to fixing it just yet. Looks simple, but I have some other idea running through my mind. You could probably take a look at it and see if something similar works for you.

PS:- Were you taking pictures of your bike few days back (probably last weekend) sometime around evening? I happened to pass by that spot and saw someone on a RE taking pictures.
I have seen someone spend 2000/- for repairing a GPS that cost 7000 in the first place. And the reason was that it just fell off from the windshield to the floor of his car. I am actually hoping that the same does not happen due to the vibrations and shocks that would be expected on a bike. Besides the lady of the house has been kind to allow a bike. A GPS is already a stretch and if I have to spend on repairing it, I might as well buy a tent to live in, while at it.

There is a hill behind Gachibowli that I climb up every working day, while on my way back home. Lovely sunsets and views of the lake. That is where I took the pictures. So it should have been me if it was atop that hill.
Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Mobike008 and I are speaking of the the same place (Kay Jee at Begumpet) and the same Purushottam!
Hmm. I guess time for some of that thunder to reverbrate in my ears! Thanks for being polite and please do excuse. In my defence may I say that beyond Gachibowli and Inorbit mall, my limited knowledge of the city does affect my assimilation.
Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Fury View Post
Sure thing...Look me up whenever you come over to Bangalore

As for the GPS mount, I personally have not got too much confidence in them, I would prefer to keep my phone in the top pouch of my tank bag (which is transparent). I have seen others use the phone arm-band cases and strap it on to their handle bars.
Thanks Hells_Fury.

I guess what that means is that it may be safe to mount the GPS on to the handlebar.
Old 19th January 2013, 07:46   #93
BHPian

I think you are talking about Movie Towers if I am not wrong. I will try and fix the mount on the bike before I come for the meet. Lets see how it works out.
Old 19th January 2013, 12:53   #94
BHPian

Hi, insearch, first of all, an excellent review and wonderful pics. I too am planning to buy one, though not yet decided, which one, 350 or 500. Just waiting for the posting in April, where I shall be moving to some other place. But then again, I might book one at Guwahati, my home town, this Feb.

I can adjust to anything (980 km in 16 hrs on a pulsar 150 and later Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat to Guwahati, Assam about 3000 odd km, in 4 days in my Maruti Alto). But, those were couple of years ago. Now, I have a lady in my life. We both like to travel. Now, almost everywhere and everyone has written that, the pillion seat is not very comfy and the back rest hurts more than giving comfort.

I wanted a feedback on that, and what can be done aboutthese two problem areas? Say, my travelling, whenever I do on my bike would be, 400-600 km in a day. That's 8 to 10 hrs of riding.

I have a dream of doing the GQ. I understand it's very much doable in a car in just 5-6 days, but I want to do it on a bike.
Junaid42465 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 17:31   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
I think you are talking about Movie Towers if I am not wrong. I will try and fix the mount on the bike before I come for the meet. Lets see how it works out.
That is correct, movie towers!
Look forward to your experience with the mount, and yes, the meet should be a good place to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junaid42465 View Post
Hi, insearch, first of all, an excellent review and wonderful pics. I too am planning to buy one, though not yet decided, which one, 350 or 500. Just waiting for the posting in April, where I shall be moving to some other place. But then again, I might book one at Guwahati, my home town, this Feb.

I can adjust to anything (980 km in 16 hrs on a pulsar 150 and later Gandhi Nagar, Gujarat to Guwahati, Assam about 3000 odd km, in 4 days in my Maruti Alto). But, those were couple of years ago. Now, I have a lady in my life. We both like to travel. Now, almost everywhere and everyone has written that, the pillion seat is not very comfy and the back rest hurts more than giving comfort.

I wanted a feedback on that, and what can be done aboutthese two problem areas? Say, my travelling, whenever I do on my bike would be, 400-600 km in a day. That's 8 to 10 hrs of riding.

I have a dream of doing the GQ. I understand it's very much doable in a car in just 5-6 days, but I want to do it on a bike.
Hi Junaid42465. Thanks.
Regarding your dilemma, look up ku69rd and ebonho's comments on page 4 of this thread. If you ask me, I would say, go for the bigger bike as you plan to have a pillion too.

Coming to the seats. I have limited experience, since I have been using a car for the past 10 years and more. Last I did a 200+km ride on the bike, I tried all kinds of adjustments to make the body's rear more comfortable: Stood up, shifted weight on one thigh and then the other, took a break, etc. The feeling I was getting is that the seat was actually too soft and sunk in too fast giving me a feeling that the hips were closer to the iron base, leading to the discomfort. I have been wondering what to do about that. You can check out the discussions on the thread, "Most uncomfortable and Most Comfortable seats-Indian Bikes". Specifically check out the discussion which starts on the 5th page, between ebonho, ku69rd and others: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...rcycles-5.html

And of course as a fellow biker I hope you go on that ride of your dreams soon! And then we get to read the travelogue...
Old 19th January 2013, 18:44   #96
J.Ravi

Insearch, I see from the photographs that your TB500 is yet to have a crash-guard. Do you plan to get one to your TB500, and if so, which type? I hear that the regular diamond crash-guard available for RE Classic 500 does not match the new TB500 as it obstructs the foot-rest pegs.

Old 19th January 2013, 21:01   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Insearch, I see from the photographs that your TB500 is yet to have a crash-guard. Do you plan to get one to your TB500, and if so, which type? I hear that the regular diamond crash-guard available for RE Classic 500 does not match the new TB500 as it obstructs the foot-rest pegs.
Do you read minds too?
Because a crash guard has been on my thoughts for some time, now. Let me also share why I have not gone ahead with it yet.

More than 15 years back, I once picked up a young boy from the road, as his bike had crashed. He did not survive for all the effort that me and my friends put in (No helmet on his head). The reason for the fatality was that his foot got entangled in the crash guard as the accident happenned. And he could not bring his foot to the ground, to balance his fall onto his body or hands, as the bike leaned, and hence his head seemed to have hit the ground hard.
I have always wondered, what would have happenned, if he had not had the crash guard on the bike, which bent because of the force of the accident, trapping his leg in it? May be multiple fractures on his body, maybe some serious and permanent damage, but I have a feeling that had he been able to put his foot to the ground, he would have survived.
It may be a freak case, but the question has remained in my mind: Use a crash guard to protect the legs, or avoid it so as not to be trapped?

Look forward to your comments.
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:24   #98
J.Ravi

Quote:
Look forward to your comments.
I hear that rider's leg getting entangled during a crash happens with Airfly crash-guards.

I Live again: Thunderbird 500 Ownership-airflycrashbar.jpg

With the other crash-guards, I have never experienced that problem so far in my 25 years of motor-cycle riding [Hero Honda and Suzuki Fiero]. Now, I don't face such problem in my son's RE Classic 500 with diamond crash-guard. But, I hear that due to change in foot-rest peg's position in the new Thunderbirds, the rider's foot touches the diamond crash-guard especially while changing the gear. That's why I posed the question so that I could be fully ready when my TB500 arrives.
  (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 21:43   #99
BHPian

Quote:
I hear that rider's leg getting entangled during a crash happens with Airfly crash-guards...
You are right, this is what I remember of the guard that I had seen.

Quote:
With the other crash-guards, I have never experienced that problem so far in my 25 years of motor-cycle riding [Hero Honda and Suzuki Fiero]....
Thanks for clarifying this, really. The crash guard is on then!.
Quote:
But, I hear that due to change in foot-rest peg's position in the new Thunderbirds, the rider's foot touches the diamond crash-guard especially while changing the gear... That's why I posed the question so that I could be fully ready when my TB500 arrives.
That is correct and the crash guard for the new TB 500 is different. Once I have it installed, I will share the snaps .
Insearch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 01:00   #100
BHPian

Quote:
More than 15 years back, I once picked up a young boy from the road, as his bike had crashed. He did not survive for all the effort that me and my friends put in (No helmet on his head). The reason for the fatality was that his foot got entangled in the crash guard as the accident happenned....
This is the reason I don't use a crash guard on my CL500. I personally feel anything north of 60kmph a crash guard is rendered useless and the chance of your leg getting stuck/tangled in it during a crash increases! I only use a crash guard when I ride to places like Ladakh, where the terrain forces you to ride at a slower pace and that too for the sole reason of saving my motorcycle. Crash guards are good for saving a motorcycle during a low speed crash or if it falls whilst stationary. And as for saving my legs I use knee guards rather than relying on a crash guard.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 09:23   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin' Thunda View Post
Mobike008 and I are speaking of the the same place (Kay Jee at Begumpet) and the same Purushottam!
Quote:
Checked out your thread
Wanderers as is tradition have a Republic Day Ride on Jan 26th (Next Saturday). Meeting point is James Street MMTS Station at Ranigunj at 10:00AM

Plan is to do a city ride which will culminate at Lumbini Park near IMAX Theatre to attend the Vintage Car and Bike Rally

If you guys are interested to join, please PM me
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 13:52   #102
BHPian

love your bike and your post
good stuff
san2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2013, 14:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
That is correct and the crash guard for the new TB 500 is different. Once I have it installed, I will share the snaps .
Dude, Waiting for these details. It was confirmed by RE bangalore that the existing crash guard won't fit for TB350/TB500 and a new one is (still) awaited. My bike is not due for another 10 days, so no sweat yet on lack of crash guards here.
However please post a pic of the new guard when you get a chance.
Old 20th January 2013, 18:11   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
This is the reason I don't use a crash guard on my CL500....
... I only use a crash guard when I ride to places like Ladakh, where the terrain forces you to ride at a slower pace and that too for the sole reason of saving my motorcycle...
...And as for saving my legs I use knee guards rather than relying on a crash guard.
Well then I guess I have enough reason to put it on, since I do plan to go to Ladakh on the bike this year. Thanks.
While I use knee guards when I can, the problem is that, when riding to work, they look a bit odd and take a toll on the formal attire. So I just slow down and drive at lower speeds, which is where, as per your post, the crash guard helps saving the bike and I guess, the rider too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wanderers as is tradition have a Republic Day Ride on Jan 26th (Next Saturday). Meeting point is James Street MMTS Station at Ranigunj at 10:00AM

Plan is to do a city ride which will culminate at Lumbini Park near IMAX Theatre to attend the Vintage Car and Bike Rally

If you guys are interested to join, please PM me
That is pretty early for a Saturday I will PM with my details, thanks for inviting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by san2 View Post
love your bike and your post
good stuff
Thanks san2. I too have enjoyed the effort. In fact, this is my first ever interaction through social media. I think I have stated this earlier in a post, that I am not on facebook, twitter, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Dude, Waiting for these details. It was confirmed by RE bangalore that the existing crash guard won't fit for TB350/TB500 and a new one is (still) awaited. My bike is not due for another 10 days, so no sweat yet on lack of crash guards here.
However please post a pic of the new guard when you get a chance.
Ha ha ha ha ha! Well sweat or no sweat, my offer still stands.
The number of T-birds being sold is pretty high and it would be in the dealerships' interest to have them in ready stock. In fact the dealer had tried selling one forcefully to me at the time of delivery. So let me go over to the dealership tomorrow and I will post some snaps, soon.
Old 20th January 2013, 21:23   #105
BHPian

I have walked away from three separate crashes, in each of which my crash-guard was totally wrecked (one of them was an air-fly type). Each time, the guard saved my bike from substantial damage, and very probably my legs too, for I escaped serious injury each time.

I always believed that the notion that your legs would get trapped in the guard was an urban myth, but as Insearch vouches he personally witnessed such a case, I have to accept that it may happen. But I still think it is unlikely in the extreme, and only if the guard was made of thin/weak material. I would never ride a bike without a crash-guard (or without knee guards, boots and a riding jacket for a long ride).
Rollin' Thunda is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks