Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2014, 17:01   #2866
BHPian

Re: The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
Regarding your initial throttle response, do you idle your bike for a while before you start your day? If no, I suggest you start doing it. Maybe a minute or two, and even though it'll burn a tad bit of fuel, it'll be helpful in the long run.
Its not quite that. ..close throttle and as you start to open its a bit of a sudden jerk.. Esp when you are riding fast, the same when you're quarter throttle and you close it.. It just bogs down suddenly. I would have liked a little less engine braking but then that could just be the restrictive exhaust and current ECU map
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2014, 17:04   #2867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Its not quite that. ..close throttle and as you start to open its a bit of a sudden jerk.. Esp when you are riding fast, the same when you're quarter throttle and you close it.. It just bogs down suddenly. I would have liked a little less engine braking but then that could just be the restrictive exhaust and current ECU map
It does look like an ECU issue.
I haven't encountered anything like this nor have I heard about it from my fellow owners as well. Perhaps other senior riders will be able to help you out with this.
Did you ask the SVC guys about this?
Old 27th September 2014, 18:56   #2868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcalad View Post
It does look like an ECU issue.
I haven't encountered anything like this nor have I heard about it from my fellow owners as well. Perhaps other senior riders will be able to help you out with this.
Did you ask the SVC guys about this?
I don't think I've explained it right . there's nothing abnormal or faulty here. Its just the way it behaves at low throttle feed that I don't like. Its a personal thing and I find it a bit unsettling. Nothing that warrants concern though. I have heard it goes away with a remap and a less restrictive exhaust system.

Last edited by howler : 27th September 2014 at 18:57.
Old 28th September 2014, 17:47   #2869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
I don't think I've explained it right . there's nothing abnormal or faulty here. Its just the way it behaves at low throttle feed that I don't like. Its a personal thing and I find it a bit unsettling. Nothing that warrants concern though. I have heard it goes away with a remap and a less restrictive exhaust system.
I get it, and it has happened to me a couple of times. But then, low speed rides on the D390 have always been nervous.
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 17:59   #2870
Senior - BHPian

Had visited Kasturba Road service center to get two flats attended on the rear tire. Rs. 200.

I had to buy chain lubricant too. This time I was given a 500ml can called TriboCor. Made in Mysore. It cost Rs. 365. The information on the can says its an adhesive and won't get thrown off. This should hopefully mean a cleaner looking rear rim. On applying I noticed it is a foamy orange color substance and very gooey. Lets see how it goes.

What annoys me the most about the service center is that they do not have a card machine. They have no change anytime you go. It is not much but I had to let go of Rs. 5 cause they did not have change. I offered what ever I could. Very annoying and this is the second service center where I have experienced this.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2014, 19:40   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone installed the quick throttle in their 390? Feedback?

I think I read somewhere that the pulsar ns comes with a quick throttle n is s direct fit for 390. Or the one created by Dhawal M. Of Bangalore the only option?
Old 29th September 2014, 10:59   #2872
Senior - BHPian

With TriboCor standing for about 20 hrs, I left for work this morning and can report that there was minimal chain lubricant spots on the rear alloy. The run was very smooth.
Old 29th September 2014, 12:25   #2873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Has anyone installed the quick throttle in their 390? Feedback?

I think I read somewhere that the pulsar ns comes with a quick throttle n is s direct fit for 390. Or the one created by Dhawal M. Of Bangalore the only option?
Yes, I am using the QT from Dhaval Sir. And I think he is from Mumbai not Bangalore.

I really loved the budget mod and the short throttle action. Also, the cam is progressive and hence initial jerk from standstill has readuced a lot. Good for stop and go traffic. His mod includes a custom cam on a 200NS throttle tube.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 13:44   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yes, I am using the QT from Dhaval Sir. And I think he is from Mumbai not Bangalore
Thanks! Mind sharing the price n how to contact this gentleman for procurement? Would request a pm if posting on this thread is not possible

Another question - could you describe the changes observed post the mod? Has the low speed jerkiness reduced? Is the throttle more sensitive? I'm particularly concerned about corner exits where user gives more throttle input than needed and.......
Old 29th September 2014, 16:36   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Another question - could you describe the changes observed post the mod? Has the low speed jerkiness reduced? Is the throttle more sensitive? I'm particularly concerned about corner exits where user gives more throttle input than needed and.......
Have PMed you his contacts.

The mod has reduced the throttle action by about 20-25% approx. Which means you dont have to grab a second handful of throttle for a W.O.T. The throttle closing feels much safer now.

The low speed jerkiness is not completely reduced and it is very much noticable while in slow moving traffic at 20-30kmph. But the jerky takeoff from stand still has definitely reduced.

And corner exits is the best part! Due to the progressive profile the cam pulls the cable most from around 70% of the throttle(Ballpark figure) and the bike pulls furiously out of corners with your heavy right hand! But if not used properly a slide out is imminent on the 390 even without a QT! The same progressive profile makes city riding a breeze and less jerky unlike constant profile QTs.
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2014, 16:47   #2876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
The low speed jerkiness is not completely reduced and it is very much noticable while in slow moving traffic at 20-30kmph. But the jerky takeoff from stand still has definitely reduced.
Got the PM, thanks. Sent you a response

Something tells me, a nice exhaust will help reduce this jerkiness and make the bike much smoother

As I type this staring at my wallet, its just sad to see moths fly out of it

Oh well, quick throttle for the time being will have to do

-- Karan
Urban_Nomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2014, 19:27   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the chain cleaning/ lubing problem in the posts above, I would like you all to have a look at this piece of tool. This was provided by the Kreigers, the motorcylce community in Bangalore, administrator, Mr. Saqib Jameel during the Leh ride of mine.

It really worked wonders as it was space friendly, portable, easy to fit tool. The only limitation is use on mud/ gravel as it tends to sink in. This is a prototype and is under development after initial trials. It may be launched soon, so keep an eye and ear for it.

I had it stored in a corner of my tankbag as it was to be taken out everyday for the routine maintenance.

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0005.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0006.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0001.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0002.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0003.jpg

The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-img20140930wa0004.jpg

Updates on this will be provided once it is launched. Please bear till then folks.
unk9ja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2014, 12:32   #2878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This time I was given a 500ml can called TriboCor. Made in Mysore. It cost Rs. 365. The information on the can says its an adhesive and won't get thrown off. This should hopefully mean a cleaner looking rear rim. On applying I noticed it is a foamy orange color substance and very gooey. Lets see how it goes.
Hey Sandeep,
Can you let us know the name of the lube? Is it T-40 or T-205?
Do share your feedback after you clock some kilometers. I am planning to try Tribocor too once I finish the current can of OKS.
Old 1st October 2014, 13:18   #2879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
Can you let us know the name of the lube? Is it T-40 or T-205?Do share your feedback after you clock some kilometers.
TriboCor (http://www.tribocor.in) is what it is called. Aerosol based. I do not know if there is any other name for it. It is TC-40.
The KTM Duke 390 Ownership Experience Thread-20140927_152746_838.jpg

Well I've clocked a shade over 100km post application. The adhesive claim holds true for the most part. A very minimal coat of lubricant was found on the rear alloy. Do note the bike was idle for 20 hours post application so this might also contribute to a cleaner wheel rim.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 1st October 2014 at 13:19.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 11:22   #2880
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,
My travelogue on the Ladakh ride is complete and available on the following link. Check it out. Hope it strikes a chord with you. Let me know your feedback on the same.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...uke-390-a.html
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks