Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2013, 21:59   #31
BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,

No, I mean in first gear.
Absolutely no knocking what so ever in 1st gear. The bike is literally prancing like a horse when in 1st gear!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2013, 22:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(driveline snatching)
All sporty bikes I've ridden do this because they eliminate the torsional absorber/damper ('cush drive' is what TVS used to call it).

The snatching seems to be aggravated in bikes with Fuel injection. I just cannot seem to ride my SV650 smoothly because of this

Swami...how do the KTM & CBR fare?
Old 7th September 2013, 09:54   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Regards
Sutripta
The bike potters around 10-11kmph in first gear at idle rpm without knocking and clutch/half clutch. This is only from my test ride and Sriram can confirm.

I can reconfirm once my 390 is home the next weekend!
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 13:18   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Have two (related) questions:
How heavy is the clutch, using the CBR250 clutch as a reference.

Sutripta
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Thanks Sutripta!

(1) During my short ride, I found the clutch much stiffer than CBR. CBR is relatively super light.
Quote:

Pity. (for me)

Sutripta

OT Question to Sutripta (Sorry to ask this question in your thread)

If I am not mistaken you have been asking this question about the clutch many times (you may recall you had asked this question in my Bonneville thread as well). Any particular reason for this question obout the hardness or softness of the clutch

If so can we discuss that as a seperate thread, so that collectively as TBHP we can arrive at some solution for you - like may be the possibility of converting the clutch of KTM 390 to a hydraulic clutch (as has been done on on many Rd 350s)

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 13:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Swami...how do the KTM & CBR fare?
I assume the question is addressed to me

There is no stalling whatsoever in the CBR. KTM doesn't stall in 1st gear at all. However I stalled couple of times in lower speeds in 2/3 gear during the short time I spent with the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Added_flavor View Post
The bike potters around 10-11kmph in first gear at idle rpm without knocking and clutch/half clutch. This is only from my test ride and Sriram can confirm.

I can reconfirm once my 390 is home the next weekend!
Totally agree - No knocking / stalling in 1st gear. Congrats on your 390!

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
OT Question to Sutripta (Sorry to ask this question in your thread)
No problem at all, Ram Sir! As you pointed out, would be glad to help if I can regarding the clutch issue.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 14:00   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the slowest smooth pottering around speed (no half clutching, and no engine stalling/ driveline snatching)

Regards
Sutripta
In traffic crawl situations, you wil have to slip the clutch even in 1st.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2013, 20:58   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
In traffic crawl situations, you wil have to slip the clutch even in 1st.
Wow really Doc, is it because of the Torque being made at a higher RPM? Can you please share the torque curve if you have it? Please
Old 7th September 2013, 21:16   #38
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
Thanks to all who replied to my question. I now have a fair idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
If I am not mistaken you have been asking this question about the clutch many times (you may recall you had asked this question in my Bonneville thread as well). Any particular reason for this question obout the hardness or softness of the clutch
Wow, you remember!
Don't want to clutter the OPs thread. (And being the first 390 ownership thread on this forum, all the eager readers will also get irritated.) Suffice it to say that I have (physical) problems with a heavy clutch. Hence my current rides (RE TBTS and CBR250R,) both of which have a light clutch. (And the near junk condition of my RD, simply because I have not ridden it in years.)

Even considered a rekluse!

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 7th September 2013 at 21:19.
Old 8th September 2013, 20:58   #39
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations on the new bike.

I booked the 200 myself on friday and must say, am really really tempted to go for the 390!! You should have waited a few more days before posting the review.

This is going to make me spend more money on my bike plan. I haven't ridden the 390 and now will have to tell the showroom to hold on to the plans as I need to test the 390. Why oh why??
Old 8th September 2013, 23:57   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Heartiest congratulations on the new bike.

I booked the 200 myself on friday and must say, am really really tempted to go for the 390!! You should have waited a few more days before posting the review.

This is going to make me spend more money on my bike plan. I haven't ridden the 390 and now will have to tell the showroom to hold on to the plans as I need to test the 390. Why oh why??
Thanks Amarpreet! You should definitely take a test-ride and then decide! (I can surely guess what you'll pick. Sorry for the bigger hole in the wallet! ) - I am finally back in Bangalore (just arrived) - Can't wait to take the 390 for a spin tomorrow!
Old 9th September 2013, 11:22   #41
BHPian

All my experience with Duke 390 was with a short ride post delivery in the night with TERRIBLE rain and traffic (with brief moments of peace and insanity) - Unfortunately, I had to travel the next day and I just returned last night!

So, I decided to take the bike for a spin this morning. I also wanted to recheck my answers to some of the queries posted earlier.

First, the ride experience.

I am wondering what is that in Duke that makes you push yourself to go faster. This is diametrically opposite to the feeling on a Bullet. I rode one of my best friends' bullet for 3 months. I used to be a typical adrenalin junkie, getting on to a street grand prix at the drop of a hat. (Many years have passed since then!) - I was so surprised that when I used to ride a bullet, I had no sense of urgency nor a feeling to overtake when someone rushed past (though the bike could be pushed faster).

Duke 390 is completely opposite in nature.
You see a gap, you feel like opening a throttle ...
You see an empty stretch you open the throttle ...
A pot hole ahead? - still open the throttle and do some maneuver to bypass it. The bike is CRAZY!

After the ride, I did some introspection on why this could happen:

1. The bike is really light. It is as if you are flying or running yourself. My other bikes as I pointed out in my first post are 'substantial'

2. Flickable - The bike is supremely flickable. You point and shoot, and corner. No problem at all. I am still not very used to the bike, so I am quite careful, but R15 is no longer my benchmark for handling

3. Seating position - Sports bikes are committed in a different way. Dukes have a position which eggs you to push the throttle. No two ways about it. There is something seriously wrong if you don't wring the throttle while you are on the Duke

4. Free Revving / High Revving - Fiero & Karizma were my first rides. After a certain RPM, you instantly shifted your gears up. This is because, the engine was noisy, you felt vibrations etc. Duke is insanely free revving. The bike is built to be run under high revs, and it reaches there in no time.

Responses to previous queries / Observations:

(1) Clutch (Sutripta) - My second opinion is that it is only slightly harder than CBR if not the same. I think I felt that way because of the nasty traffic on my Day #1

(2) You cannot ride this bike in 30 kmph in 4th gear and 20 kmph in 3rd gear. (How hard is it to downshift? )

(3) The redline till 1st service is 7500 (All for a reason I guess) - I hit the redline in 4th gear at about 96 km/h and 110 km/h in 5th gear (Couldn't redline it in 6th! - No roads!)

(4) Did not feel the Engine Heat up at all - When I reported it was quite hot on my first ride, I guess the traffic that was inching for an hour was the reason. I felt no heat while riding today (hardly any traffic). Will take the Duke around in traffic for a couple of days and update how it is in bad traffic.

Some pics:

The engine temperature gauge after a short ride. When I was done with the ride it was one bar higher:
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3204.jpg

Stopped the Duke en-route for a quick pic:
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3205.jpg

The orange alloys scream attitude, but look good. As I pointed out they do become / appear dirty (in comparison to black ones)
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3206.jpg

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 9th September 2013 at 11:31.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2013, 12:59   #42
BHPian

Hi, this is pretty useful. Especially the heating part, and it looks like KTM/bajaj have sorted out the previous overheating issues and hopefully there won't be any new issues now that they have learnt their lessons with the first batch of the 200.

look at that mileage!! Rocket and fuel efficient!!

Do tell me more about the bumper to bumper traffic experience as that is mainly where I will be staying thanks to B'lore rush hour.
Old 9th September 2013, 20:15   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Responses to previous queries / Observations:

(1) Clutch (Sutripta) - My second opinion is that it is only slightly harder than CBR if not the same. I think I felt that way because of the nasty traffic on my Day #1
Thanks. Will check it out in person.

Quote:
(2) You cannot ride this bike in 30 kmph in 4th gear and 20 kmph in 3rd gear. (How hard is it to downshift? )
Since my query was
Quote:
Hi,
Downshifting (from first) might be a problem.
Anyway, what would be that pottering speed? 10Kmph as suggested by someone else?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 9th September 2013, 20:32   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Downshifting (from first) might be a problem.
Anyway, what would be that pottering speed? 10Kmph as suggested by someone else?
LOL! Downshifting from 1st gear is definitely a problem

Btw, that answer was not intended for you - 10 Kmph is a decent speed to potter around in 1st gear!
Old 10th September 2013, 10:30   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post

look at that mileage!! Rocket and fuel efficient!!
That IMHO think is the average speed and not the average fuel consumption. But still I'm sure its going to be mighty frugal once the engine breaks in. Hopefully in less than a month we all will be getting the deliveries and be able to see the mileage first hand. Cant wait!!
Jaycee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks