Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 13:51   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
On the other hand, at lower gears getting upto 10 K means you are accelerating comparatively like a maniac (in comparison to the bull) and you will hardly hit 10K in city condition that often.
On the 390, you will hit that in the first 3 gears, if you really try. In the city. Thats more than enough for most bikes.
Old 13th September 2013, 12:03   #62
BHPian

KTM seems to be going aggressive in sales now. There was a sales promotion camp organized in RMZ Infinity Tech Park yesterday. The camp was lead by a gentleman named Mr. Paul (Regional Manager) who explained all the features very patiently and offered a doorstep testride. Exclusive discount offers, in-house finance schemes etc are being offered.

I will testride a KTM Duke 390 next week and share my experience.
Old 14th September 2013, 09:47   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Now this is very heartening. I would really appreciate more inputs from you about the traffic conditions and heating. Meanwhile, I am keeping my 200 purchase on hold.

p.s: Thanks for taking the time to keep the thread going!
Thanks amarpreet! Btw, I did a couple of rides within the city, and bad traffic situations. I don't think it gets as hot as the first ride. Will keep this factor in my mind for my future rides. You should definitely get the 390 for its bigger heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
On the 390, you will hit that in the first 3 gears, if you really try. In the city. Thats more than enough for most bikes.
That's true - Could never hit redline past 5th gear in empty roads with revvs limited to 7500. After the redline is moved to 10.5K, as you said, it will not be possible to redline beyond 3rd gear in city. But the bike redlines so easily!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
KTM seems to be going aggressive in sales now. There was a sales promotion camp organized in RMZ Infinity Tech Park yesterday. The camp was lead by a gentleman named Mr. Paul (Regional Manager) who explained all the features very patiently and offered a doorstep testride. Exclusive discount offers, in-house finance schemes etc are being offered.

I will testride a KTM Duke 390 next week and share my experience.
Glad to know that KTM is not sitting on a pedestal despite a extremely compelling offering. Can you please share what kind of discounts are being offered? (corporate or bulk?) - I will be surprised if they gave any for 390.

Please do share your 390 test ride experience! Thanks!
Old 14th September 2013, 10:31   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Can you please share what kind of discounts are being offered? (corporate or bulk?)
I would be keenly interested too. Unlike Sriram here, I am yet to purchase the bike!
Old 14th September 2013, 10:48   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's true - Could never hit redline past 5th gear in empty roads with revvs limited to 7500. After the redline is moved to 10.5K, as you said, it will not be possible to redline beyond 3rd gear in city. But the bike redlines so easily!
A clarification. 7500 is not your redline. Its nowhere close to your redline. It is simply the rpm limit set for you by the company for runin. So you would probably have rpm1 (shift red light starts blinking) at 5-5500 rpm and rpm2 (shift red light beomes constant) at 7500 rpm. The bike can rev to past 10,000 rpm from the day the assembly line worker first fills fuel and cranks her up. There is no runin rev limiter. Just a shift light.
Old 14th September 2013, 10:52   #66
BHPian

Quote:
A clarification. 7500 is not your redline. Its nowhere close to your redline. It is simply the rpm limit set for you by the company for runin. So you would probably have rpm1 (shift red light starts blinking) at 5-5500 rpm and rpm2 (shift red light beomes constant) at 7500 rpm. The bike can rev to past 10,000 rpm from the day the assembly line worker first fills fuel and cranks her up. There is no runin rev limiter. Just a shift light.
Thanks for the clarification, Doc! You are correct! I shouldn't have mentioned it as redline in the sense it is not a rev-limited.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2013, 09:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:

Doc..
We're still awaiting your ride-report..

ALL the automobile mags have published their reviews now. What's holding up the one review that all of us are desperately waiting for?

Last edited by MavericK46 : 15th September 2013 at 09:49. Reason: Typograficak errours
MavericK46 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 08:40   #68
BHPian

Everyday, I learn new stuff! Thanks to the guy in Popular KTM who told me that the engine is rev-limited to 7500 until 1st service (8500 for 2nd, 9500 for 3rd etc), I totally believed it. It is quiet interesting how sometimes words close your mind, letting you believe in stuff that's not true.

I did notice that the engine doesn't 'bounce off' at 7500 in my 390, but I made sure that it doesn't cross 7500 - That's till the good Doc pointed to me that 7500 is the gear shift indicator and not a rev-limiter. It is a good way to make sure you don't stress your engine much in the run in (a blinking red-light in the console sure does change your driving dynamics!)

So, I also checked this out - The rev-limiter is at 10,500 RPM only, and not in the 7500. I am sorry I got it wrong in the first post!

---

Secondly, the 390 continues to amaze me. I took it out for a small ride on Saturday in the Kolar-Mulbagal route. The bike actually motivates me to lose weight - I have done the route a few times in my CBR and GT650N. Though the rides were fantastic, I did not realize how heavy the bikes were! With 390, the rides are effortless, and near-flying feeling

I totally missed calling @niranjanrvce for the ride :-( - I remembered while crossing the KR Puram bridge, but it was too short a notice. Will sync up next time!

I took a back to back ride with my GT650 (a short one) and figured out how easy, light and flickable 390 was! While 390 doesn't give the BIG bike feeling, I strongly urge the current fleet of big bike owners to get a totally different feel of this light and fast bike

--

Third, the range of the bike sometimes puts your heart in the mouth. On the return from the Kolar, the bike quickly moved to '36 kms to fuel tank' (the ride remaining was 25 kms), and it touched 0 when I reached KR Puram (after 22 kms). There were some anxious moments till I hit the HP petrol bunk at the end of KR Puram bridge. The range was 220 kms for me for the last fill, with the average being 25 km/l (unbelievable for the way I was riding it)

So, when the chief engineer of KTM 390 said that we can use the bike for in-city commute and a weekend ride of 200 kms to the hills, he EXACTLY meant that. 200kms - That's the safe range. It is pretty decent for me, but not for the long distance tourer types

---

Fourth, I think, we can live with the heat from the engine. Not as bad as I made it out to be. It is not a cool bike, and don't drive this in your shorts - A small price you pay for the fun.

Some pics (I am yet to do a decent set of pics as suggested by @mobike008 - But, that's coming up as soon as the bike gets a good bath!)

The trip meter at the midway - Stopped at the Cafe Coffee day
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3240.jpg

Not really - But, the CCD guys do make the boring cup, interesting
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3241.jpg

The bike looks calm in this pic, but in some angles, it looks like it might turn around, bite you and chew you out. It is quite aggressive!
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3243.jpg

The rear-view mirrors are a tad small. Nothing enlightening is written ('Objects in mirror are closer than what your brain might indicate' kind of stuff.) - I'd rather write - "Objects in mirror will get farther for sure"
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3244.jpg

The orange trellis and the 390 fascia in bold
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3245.jpg

Effect of dirty roads on the KTM's rear (effect on my rear is not in pic)
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3246.jpg

Front wheel is dirty - I need to clean the radiator too. Any tips?
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3247.jpg

At the end of the trip - A decent average speed
My Tryst with Orange: KTM Duke 390-img_3248.jpg
Old 16th September 2013, 09:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Front wheel is dirty - I need to clean the radiator too. Any tips?
Considering the amount of slush and water that would be directly hitting the radiator during rainy times i would say just mild water flow on the radiator should work.

Soap water, sponge and clean water should be the order.

Whatever one does, avoid(never use) pressure water on the fins or radiator directly or the bike itself.

Here is a good thread on the 200 that also has price list of parts.

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...-200-duke.html
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:11   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
thanks to the guy in Popular KTM who told me that the engine is rev-limited to 7500 until 1st service (8500 for 2nd, 9500 for 3rd etc)

Quote:
Third, the range of the bike sometimes puts your heart in the mouth. On the return from the Kolar, the bike quickly moved to '36 kms to fuel tank' (the ride remaining was 25 kms), and it touched 0 when I reached KR Puram (after 22 kms). There were some anxious moments till I hit the HP petrol bunk at the end of KR Puram bridge. The range was 220 kms for me for the last fill, with the average being 25 km/l (unbelievable for the way I was riding it)

So, when the chief engineer of KTM 390 said that we can use the bike for in-city commute and a weekend ride of 200 kms to the hills, he EXACTLY meant that. 200kms - That's the safe range. It is pretty decent for me, but not for the long distance tourer types
Spot on. Glad to see you have as heavy a right hand as I do.

P.S. At 200 kms, I start looking for a petrol pump immediately, and go easy on that right hand.

Quote:
Effect of dirty roads on the KTM's rear (effect on my rear is not in pic)
Attachment 1139105
That's a very clean bike man. You should see my 200 right now .....

I would suggest to remove that sari guard and rear hugger asap. The bike's and your rear both get a lot dirtier with it on. Just put on a sticker that says "If you can read this, you're getting a faceful of mud" as well.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 12:14   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks to the guy in Popular KTM who told me that the engine is rev-limited to 7500 until 1st service (8500 for 2nd, 9500 for 3rd etc),
The rev-limiter is at 10,500 RPM only, and not in the 7500. I am sorry I got it wrong in the first post!
You can set the shift light to your preference after first service. In fact, you can do it right now if you like Motoman run-in methods - the manual details how to change it.
That 8500,9500 service guy doesn't know what he's talking about. A 10,000 km run-in for a bike that says "ready to race"?

Quote:
I totally missed calling @niranjanrvce for the ride :-( - I remembered while crossing the KR Puram bridge, but it was too short a notice. Will sync up next time!
I actually rode to the same spot on sunday. Let's sync up next time. Although I won't be in the country till end of October by which time it should be two 390s syncing up (hopefully)

Quote:
200kms - That's the safe range. It is pretty decent for me, but not for the long distance tourer types
This was roughly true for the Duke 200 as well. I would fill up at 200km mark on highway runs to avoid risking the wet fuel pump running dry. The range will go down to '0' on the last bar but I have done about 30+kms after that in a desperate situation once on the D200. So the D390 should do 20kms in a worst case scenario.
Old 16th September 2013, 12:48   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Soap water, sponge and clean water should be the order.

Whatever one does, avoid(never use) pressure water on the fins or radiator directly or the bike itself.

Here is a good thread on the 200 that also has price list of parts.

http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/motorcyc...-200-duke.html
Thanks a lot for the advice and the link too! I'll start looking into power-parts (may be just good looking parts :P ) in a few months once the stress on budgets start easing..

Quote:

Spot on. Glad to see you have as heavy a right hand as I do.

P.S. At 200 kms, I start looking for a petrol pump immediately, and go easy on that right hand.
I have a heavy right hand (both literally and figuratively ) - I kept telling go slow, go slow, followed by brief 'what the hell' moments.

Quote:

That's a very clean bike man. You should see my 200 right now .....
Thanks! That's reassuring!
Quote:
I would suggest to remove that sari guard and rear hugger asap. The bike's and your rear both get a lot dirtier with it on. Just put on a sticker that says "If you can read this, you're getting a faceful of mud" as well.
- I'll actually do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
You can set the shift light to your preference after first service. In fact, you can do it right now if you like Motoman run-in methods - the manual details how to change it.
That 8500,9500 service guy doesn't know what he's talking about. A 10,000 km run-in for a bike that says "ready to race"?
Time to read the manual for me!

Quote:
I actually rode to the same spot on sunday. Let's sync up next time. Although I won't be in the country till end of October by which time it should be two 390s syncing up (hopefully)
That would be awesome! I thought we could do next weekend. Just let me know once you are back..

Quote:
This was roughly true for the Duke 200 as well. I would fill up at 200km mark on highway runs to avoid risking the wet fuel pump running dry. The range will go down to '0' on the last bar but I have done about 30+kms after that in a desperate situation once on the D200. So the D390 should do 20kms in a worst case scenario.
I thought it could do a 10-20 kms since the 0 km to gas station. But still these are heart in the mouth scenario, since you don't want to fry the FI. Thanks for sharing the info!
Old 16th September 2013, 13:18   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought it could do a 10-20 kms since the 0 km to gas station. But still these are heart in the mouth scenario, since you don't want to fry the FI. Thanks for sharing the info!
Be it the 200 and definitely for the 390, I would NOT push the bike beyond 20 (max 25 kms) once you get the low fuel warning. Yes, on the 200 you can theoretically still go approximately 40 odd kms, but I would simply do a splash and dash at the nearest pump regardless of the fuel quality. The fuel filter costs around 120-150 bucks. The fuel pump costs upward of 6K.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 13:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Be it the 200 and definitely for the 390, I would NOT push the bike beyond 20 (max 25 kms) once you get the low fuel warning. Yes, on the 200 you can theoretically still go approximately 40 odd kms, but I would simply do a splash and dash at the nearest pump regardless of the fuel quality. The fuel filter costs around 120-150 bucks. The fuel pump costs upward of 6K.
Thanks doc - That's very good advice. I skipped a fuel station on the way worrying about fuel quality. Probably that's a smaller risk to take rather than messing the fuel pump. Will keep this in mind!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 14:03   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The fuel filter costs around 120-150 bucks. The fuel pump costs upward of 6K.
True that. Even in my simple configuration CI 500 i ensure i am not running in Reserve. And i change the fuel tap after which i hardly get a litre and i have no interest to push that bike.

I just fill for 500 every 100 kms. It just ensure i have something left.

There were times when i used to completely fill up the bike. For my personal reasons i find it acceptable to fill4 times for 500 rs than 1 time for 1500

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks