Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2015, 13:17   #61
BHPian

Re: Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Two queries regarding the pic you posted:
1) Is the main stand protruding out so much?
2) Is the kick lever unfoldable?

BTW the like the meshed seat cover, planning to get one for my Activa. The issue is a stupid cat seems to have developed a strong liking for my Activa and makes it a point to use the seat for its nocturnal sleep. No amounts of shooing has made any difference. So thought of changing the seat cover since the existing one has lots (i mean lots) of scratch marks.
Thanks for the reply ghodlur. Here is the answer to your questions :-
1) Main stand is similar to Activa but I think does protrude out pretty much although doesn't affect on a daily basis.

2) Again, kick lever is the exact same as the Activa and it is foldable. But, I keep it unfolded since I kick start the scooter whenever it is mounted on main stand.

I would highly recommend the meshed seat cover since due to it's texture, it is uncomfortable for cats to sit on. My earlier seat cover always used to have scratch marks and cat hair all over thanks to cats making my scooter their home. I also tried spraying vinegar and other strong smelling liquids on the seat but it didn't work.

Thus, I put the mesh seat cover over the earlier seat cover and now it looks very good. Now, no cat sits on the seat cover. But, always clean the seat cover with water since there are many leaves and bits stuck in the mesh seat cover and also there is dust trapped underneath the mesh seat cover.
carfreak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2015, 18:14   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak7 View Post
But, always clean the seat cover with water since there are many leaves and bits stuck in the mesh seat cover and also there is dust trapped underneath the mesh seat cover.
Do you mean cleaning with water regularly? Won't the mesh design hold the water for some time or won't the seat need some time (maybe pressure also) to dry out?
Old 24th August 2015, 18:44   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin11 View Post
Do you mean cleaning with water regularly? Won't the mesh design hold the water for some time or won't the seat need some time (maybe pressure also) to dry out?
Underneath the mesh seat cover, there is always a layer of dust which is not visible so thus that should cleaned with water. The mesh seat cover doesn't hold any water so it is very beneficial for rainy season.
Old 12th October 2015, 17:48   #64
BHPian

The Maestro has completed a year of ownership and it has been a happy as well as trouble free ownership. The scooter has shown no problems till now and still feels as good as new. The ride and the eagerness of the engine feels the same like the first day and I am hoping it will last for many more kilometers.

I have taken the Maestro on some highway rides and the scooter is performing pretty well on these stretches. The engine reaches 60km/h in no time and then takes some time to reach 85 km/h. Only issue is that the ride at higher speeds is not confidence inspiring thanks to the puny tires. I am also planning to do the following upgrades/mods :-
- Changing the stock headlight bulb to a better one
- Painting the rims black to give it a better look
- Felt lining the storage space for better utility

Only minor issues I am having nowadays that the scooter doesn't start easily while using the kick starter. This problem happens only during morning starts or during the first start of the day. The scooter needs 4-5 kicks to start using the choke and some acceleration input. But, if I use the electric starter, the scooter starts within a second of using the electric starter. Will get this issue sorted as I prefer to use the kick start for cold starts.

Also, the scooter completed 4000kms recently in a year and so the running is about 340 kms per month which is low(according to current ODO reading).
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-maestro-4000kms.jpg

Last edited by carfreak7 : 12th October 2015 at 17:51. Reason: Added content
Old 7th November 2015, 17:33   #65
BHPian

Well, I am sorry for not updating this thread due to exams and other work. The scooter is running well with no issues whatsoever. The service is due to 24th November and I will post the bill and service details by then.

Also, met up Team BHPian @ciddharth and it was great meeting him. He has maintained his Passion XPro like in showroom condition. Here's the Hero brothers posing together! (sorry for the bad Paint software job)
Attachment 1436532
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-20151107_124310compressed.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-img20151107wa0021.jpg  

Last edited by carfreak7 : 7th November 2015 at 17:34.
Old 20th November 2015, 12:37   #66
BHPian

Got my Maestro serviced a bit early due to the plastic part near the side almost coming off due to the frequent use of the side stand and also some idiots playing with the side stand thus loosening the LHS floor plastic part.

Also, changed engine oil to 20W40 engine oil. Had used the same engine oil in the earlier service as well and I m getting better performance by using 20W40 engine oil. Reached a new top speed of 88 km/h on a straight road.

As usual, they didn't change the gear/drive oil. I have been telling them to change it since last service but they didn't change it. I hope they must have changed it but not charged for it. Service costs were high this time thanks to changing of the floor plastic part. Asked the service advisor to try tightening the part but he said it needs to be changed. (The plastic part wasn't broken, guess it could be fixed at a local mechanic but didn't have the time to go there.)

Here is the bill for the 5th service :-
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-5th-service-invoice.jpg
Old 1st January 2016, 18:35   #67
BHPian

Today, the Maestro's rear wheel was jammed up. It was getting difficult to get it out of the parking area and there was some screeching noise while moving the scooter. Then I realized, that the rear wheel was not moving freely.

Luckily for me, there's a mechanic just outside my society gate and thus he fixed the rear wheel. The brakes were tightened too much and so it caused problems with the rear wheel. Also, he told me that the brake liners need to be replaced since they are making a screeching sound.

It must be due to excessive water used near the rear wheel to wash the vehicle and also my Dad riding the scooter with rear brakes partially engaged. Do I really need to replace the brake liners? Since the screeching sound goes after some meters of riding.

Odometer stands at 54XX kms as of now and never expected to change the brake liners so early. The engine is running very smoothly thanks to the 20W40 engine oil which is being used. I feel that it is worth the extra cost. Also, I replace the engine oil every 3 months since after 4-5 months or 1000-1500 kms the engine doesn't feel so smooth.
Old 1st January 2016, 19:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi carfreak7,
Nice to read that you are owning such a good scooter and having happy time.

Quote:
I have taken the Maestro on some highway rides and the scooter is performing pretty well on these stretches. The engine reaches 60km/h in no time and then takes some time to reach 85 km/h. Only issue is that the ride at higher speeds is not confidence inspiring thanks to the puny tires. I am also planning to do the following upgrades/mods :-
- Changing the stock headlight bulb to a better one
- Painting the rims black to give it a better look
- Felt lining the storage space for better utility

Only minor issues I am having nowadays that the scooter doesn't start easily while using the kick starter. This problem happens only during morning starts or during the first start of the day. The scooter needs 4-5 kicks to start using the choke and some acceleration input. But, if I use the electric starter, the scooter starts within a second of using the electric starter. Will get this issue sorted as I prefer to use the kick start for cold starts.
For your safety, I advise you to restrict the speed upto 60 kmph. Faster than this is dangerous on a two wheeler. Fast two wheelers on highways disturb the focus of the drivers of cars and heavier vehicles; they also increase the chances of accidents.

I also hope that you do not drive in the middle of the road on highways. It is advisable to be on the left side of the road and to keep a watch on your rear view mirror.

You are a BHPian, so I hope that you will be already taking care of this.

Regarding the kick start, my mechanic showed me a way for this. First gently press the kick lever till the play in it is eliminated. Then pause for a second, press the kick lever firmly and with speed. Once I could not kick start my scooter in a cold morning and the battery was already weak, due for replacement. I called him and he started the scooter in 1-2 kicks. I was wondering, how. He then showed me the technique.

Recommended procedure for starting on cold morning is:
Pull the choke. Push the start button without accelerator input, till the engine starts. Wait till the engine rpm stabilizes. Push down the choke. Run the engine for 2 minutes to warm up. I use this and I find this convenient. It will not take a toll on battery.

Quote:
Also, changed engine oil to 20W40 engine oil. Had used the same engine oil in the earlier service as well and I m getting better performance by using 20W40 engine oil. Reached a new top speed of 88 km/h on a straight road.
IMO, the recommended oil 10W30 shall give you better engine smoothness and fuel efficiency compared to 20W40.

After the free services, I started to change the engine oil at home. It is a DIY job of 15-20 minutes. The 900 ml bottle of Hero genuine 10W30 oil costs Rs. 190/- and two bottles are enough for 3 oil changes. I also changed gear oil myself last time, it was easy. Oil cost Rs. 60/-.

Other than cost, there was one more reason for changing the oil at home. I noticed that the services stations (especially the FNGs) buy a drum of one variety of oil and use it for many types of bikes. When we ask, they adamantly justify saying that the oil they use is better for the bike than the oil recommended by the company.

Quote:
Today, the Maestro's rear wheel was jammed up. It was getting difficult to get it out of the parking area and there was some screeching noise while moving the scooter. Then I realized, that the rear wheel was not moving freely.

Luckily for me, there's a mechanic just outside my society gate and thus he fixed the rear wheel. The brakes were tightened too much and so it caused problems with the rear wheel. Also, he told me that the brake liners need to be replaced since they are making a screeching sound.

It must be due to excessive water used near the rear wheel to wash the vehicle and also my Dad riding the scooter with rear brakes partially engaged. Do I really need to replace the brake liners? Since the screeching sound goes after some meters of riding.

Odometer stands at 54XX kms as of now and never expected to change the brake liners so early. The engine is running very smoothly thanks to the 20W40 engine oil which is being used. I feel that it is worth the extra cost. Also, I replace the engine oil every 3 months since after 4-5 months or 1000-1500 kms the engine doesn't feel so smooth.
The engine oil surely lasts 6000 km. No need to change after 1500 km. It is not just over-expenditure, consider environment too (disposal). And every 3 months is also too early. 6 months is ok. Even in one year, the oil is not going to degrade inside the crankcase if you do not complete 6000 km.

For my scooters, I purchased the new genuine spare brake shoes when the brakes worn out for the first time. One pair of shoes (for one wheel) costs around Rs. 250 - 300. I made it a point to collect the old shoes. Then I went to a clutch lining wala and got the worn-out lining replaced for Rs. 30/-. I kept the liners in the glove box. After 2 years, when the brakes worn out, I replaced the shoes (labor cost Rs. 30/-). And I got the liner replaced (again Rs. 30/-) on the shoes which were taken out this time. So a pair of shoes with new liners is ready with me at the moment.

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 1st January 2016 at 19:56.
Rahul Bhalgat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2016, 21:28   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Hi carfreak7,
Nice to read that you are owning such a good scooter and having happy time.
Thanks for your valuable inputs and advice!

Quote:
For your safety, I advise you to restrict the speed upto 60 kmph. Faster than this is dangerous on a two wheeler. Fast two wheelers on highways disturb the focus of the drivers of cars and heavier vehicles; they also increase the chances of accidents.
Yes, speed is restricted to 60 km/h in the city. The top speed was done on an empty, well paved stretch of road and I don't do such stints frequently. I also respect other vehicles on the road and always ride with helmet and gloves.

Quote:
I also hope that you do not drive in the middle of the road on highways. It is advisable to be on the left side of the road and to keep a watch on your rear view mirror.

You are a BHPian, so I hope that you will be already taking care of this.
I am well aware of lane rules and etiquette and follow it everytime I m driving a car or riding a two wheeler.

Quote:
Regarding the kick start, my mechanic showed me a way for this. First gently press the kick lever till the play in it is eliminated. Then pause for a second, press the kick lever firmly and with speed. Once I could not kick start my scooter in a cold morning and the battery was already weak, due for replacement. I called him and he started the scooter in 1-2 kicks. I was wondering, how. He then showed me the technique.
The kick start issue was solved on my scooter by getting the battery charged up. Anyways, the technique you have mentioned is very effective but I always try to start the engine without the output of electric starter.

Quote:
Recommended procedure for starting on cold morning is:
Pull the choke. Push the start button without accelerator input, till the engine starts. Wait till the engine rpm stabilizes. Push down the choke. Run the engine for 2 minutes to warm up. I use this and I find this convenient. It will not take a toll on battery.
I follow the same method during cold start but usually scooter starts with 1-2 inputs of the kick start.

Quote:
IMO, the recommended oil 10W30 shall give you better engine smoothness and fuel efficiency compared to 20W40.

After the free services, I started to change the engine oil at home. It is a DIY job of 15-20 minutes. The 900 ml bottle of Hero genuine 10W30 oil costs Rs. 190/- and two bottles are enough for 3 oil changes. I also changed gear oil myself last time, it was easy. Oil cost Rs. 60/-.
For the first 3000-4000 kms I had used 10W30 and had a very average experience with it. Engine used to feel a bit rough after 1000-1500 kms. But, after I tried 20W40 the engine felt smooth for a longer time with no drop in mileage. So thus, I have had a very good experience with 20W40. I m not a DIY kind of person and I am afraid of doing oil changes by myself thus I can get it done at a FNG mechanic who is very nearby.

Quote:
Other than cost, there was one more reason for changing the oil at home. I noticed that the services stations (especially the FNGs) buy a drum of one variety of oil and use it for many types of bikes. When we ask, they adamantly justify saying that the oil they use is better for the bike than the oil recommended by the company.
FNGs and service centres use oil from drums so the quality of the oil also may get affected. But, I can always go to an FNG, give them the engine oil of my choice and tell them to change it in front of me. Luckily, I have the liberty to do that in the FNG near my house. Also, due to the company policies I am forced to do the services at the service center. According to Hero MotoCorp's policies, one has to do 18 services from the authorized service center to avail the 5 year warranty which I definitely don't want to lose.

Quote:
The engine oil surely lasts 6000 km. No need to change after 1500 km. It is not just over-expenditure, consider environment too (disposal). And every 3 months is also too early. 6 months is ok. Even in one year, the oil is not going to degrade inside the crankcase if you do not complete 6000 km.
Yes, the engine oil will definitely last 6000 km but what gets affected is smoothness of the engine. I would prefer changing the oil more frequently rather than riding around with a rough feeling engine. Unfortunately, there is no good engine oil which lasts for 6000 kms and also keeps the smoothness of the engine for that period.

Quote:
For my scooters, I purchased the new genuine spare brake shoes when the brakes worn out for the first time. One pair of shoes (for one wheel) costs around Rs. 250 - 300. I made it a point to collect the old shoes. Then I went to a clutch lining wala and got the worn-out lining replaced for Rs. 30/-. I kept the liners in the glove box. After 2 years, when the brakes worn out, I replaced the shoes (labor cost Rs. 30/-). And I got the liner replaced (again Rs. 30/-) on the shoes which were taken out this time. So a pair of shoes with new liners is ready with me at the moment.
That's a good suggestion for the changing of brake liners. I would have done that but unfortunately I am not able to procure Over The Counter authentic spares in my area. FNG's may use fake parts which may be harmful and I won't take risk with such an important part of the vehicle (brakes). Thus, will get it changed at the authorized service center.
Old 18th February 2016, 21:57   #70
BHPian

Got the Maestro's 6th free service done. In this service, got the engine oil, front & rear brake liners and also wheel alignment done. 10W30 oil was used this time since I was told by the SA that 20W40 is not available. So, had to do with 10W30 oil.

Front & rear brake liners were changed since the rear brake liners were worn out and also braking was not so good. The mechanic had told me that rear brake liners had hardened. Got both the liners changed and now braking is very efficient and can be relied upon.

The SA took a test ride of the scooter and said alignment needs to be done. I had no issues with the scooter but got it done in this service since it was never done in any of the services. Alignment added to the service bill but I could find a slight change(good) in the handling of the scooter.

Fuel pipe was also a bit torn some days ago which resulted in leaking of fuel. Luckily, the mechanic did some fix to it and it was good to go. Asked the Hero ASC to replace it but they have not added the price of fuel pipe to the bill

Since the free services are over, I m planning to do the services at the mechanic who is just outside my housing society. Servicing at the mechanic would be way cheaper and the servicing would be done in front of me. Anyways, let's see since I may be moving to another place so will decide accordingly.

Odometer currently stands at 62XX kms.

Here's the 6th service invoice:-
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-6th-service-invoice.jpg
Old 24th February 2016, 21:56   #71
BHPian

Since the oil change, was fed up of the scooter. Vibrations had increased, pickup had reduced & engine felt a bit rough after some riding.

Thus, decided to buy some good oil and get it changed from a mechanic. Bought Motul 7100 Full Synthetic Oil for Rs 800 for 1L bottle. Got it changed from a mechanic within 10 minutes & that too in front of me. That is a huge advantage for me compared to the Hero ASC. Total cost was Rs 800 + Rs 20(charges by mechanic) for oil change.

Mech said 'Saar you have bought the best oil for 2 wheelers. Engine will run butter smooth'.

After the change, there was a drastic difference in the scooter's behavior. Engine was butter smooth, no vibrations, very good pickup. Some say that it also increases the mileage and thus I m hoping so it does that. If it does, it is well worth the premium.

Also, Motul 7100 being fully synthetic, I can change oil after 6 months/6000 kms instead of 3000 kms/3 months. However, will change it after 4-5 months.

It is highly recommended to all scooter owners! Here is the picture of the oil bottle :-
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-img_20160224_135155.jpg
Old 24th February 2016, 22:27   #72
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Completed 3006kms on the odometer. The 'service due' light popped up and I decided to reset it because it was irritating due to its constant blinking and there is still time for my scooter service.

Here's how you can reset your service due light on your Maestro (could work for Passion Pro and Glamour too)

1. Turn your key to 'OFF' position

2. Press the 'RESET' button near the odometer. Keep it pressed until next step.

3. While pressing 'RESET' button, turn key to 'ON' position and keep the 'RESET' button pressed for 5 seconds!

The service light will be gone now and will appear in the next 3000kms.

Source :- http://www.crankdrive.com/garage/do-...-due-indicator

Here's a shot of the current odo reading :-
Attachment 1394081

Thanks for documenting the steps to reset the service reminder. Just couldn't figure it out by myself and your post really helps.

Will try it out for my scooter.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2016, 17:52   #73
BHPian

Firstly I apologize for not updating this thread since I am really busy in studies & personal life. The Maestro is running well without any breakdowns.

Got the scooter serviced today at Fortpoint Hero, Mahim. The reason for going to the Hero ASC is that I needed to replace a few parts. The front nose (part with the front number plate) had cracked due to a small accident. Other than the part cracking, there were no other issues. Also, the luggage hook was broken and had to be replaced. Spark Plug was replaced and also the kick was greased since the kick was getting stuck and not functioning properly.

The scooter was serviced pretty late thanks to lack of time. It was not used much by me thanks to the heavy monsoons in Mumbai. Also, got the oil changed to Motul 3100 Gold 10W30 Oil. Couldn't source Motul 5100 anywhere and the shopkeeper recommended this oil to me. Couldn't find any difference between the two oils. Both seem to be semi synthetic oils. Motul 3100 Gold 10W30 oil costed me Rs 415 which is cheaper than Motul 5100 10W30 (Rs 575). Will update on the performance of the oil.

Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-motul-3100-gold-semi-synthetic-oil.jpg

Also, I am attaching the service invoice for the 7th service of the Maestro :-
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-7th-service-invoice-1.jpg
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-7th-service-invoice-2.jpg

ODO currently stands at 7584 kms
Old 4th November 2016, 19:50   #74
BHPian

Got the post monsoon service done of the Maestro. However, this time did it at the neighborhood mechanic instead. I was not so happy with the service quality so will continue servicing at Hero ASC and get the engine oil changed outside.
Following is an Excel sheet of the service costs :-
Name:  7th service Maestro.PNG
Views: 4429
Size:  6.8 KB
Changed engine oil to Motul 3100 Gold 10W30 semi-synthetic oil since I was very happy with the performance and pricing. Rear brake liners were replaced for the 2nd time since they had badly worn out and the braking had gone from worse to bad. Gear oil was also changed to Veedol Gear Oil 90. Also, the self start was not working due to carbon accumulating in the self start button. Got that cleaned as well.

Scooter has clocked 8500 kms in a span of 2 years which results to 350 kilometers per month of usage which is less. The scooter is very fuss free and has never given up on me till now. Mileage is varying between 38-40kmpl however many of my friends/relatives who own the Activa 3G are also getting similar mileage. The scooter is very convinient for the grocery runs due to the center space & underseat storage. Thus, I m satisfied with the scoot.
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:53   #75
BHPian

Got the 7th service done for the Maestro from Fortpoint Hero, Mahim. Even though they overcharge, they service the scooter really well.
After the service from the mechanic, the scooter started stalling and carburetor tuning was not proper. Also, cold starts were getting difficult. Pickup had reduced and scooter felt sluggish. Hence, gave it for a service at Fortpoint,

Service quality was decent, but the washing area was not functional hence the vehicle was dirty. Got the Engine Oil changed to semi-synthetic 10W30 oil, and also changed the air filter & the self start switch which didn't work sometimes. Also, the left mirror was rattling, rendering it useless. Inspite of charging for the fitting charges, the mirror is still rattling. Have to get it solved from the mechanic. The scooter will be due for a good makeover soon

Here is the invoice of the 7th service :-
Hero Maestro - Such a boy thing-7th-service.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks