Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 17:56   #1
BHPian

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

My long dream of having a good bike super-sport form was finally accomplished with my recent purchase of RC390. I also have Duke 390 [My ownership review - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ke-390-a.html] ] . I have collected my thoughts and reviewed RC390 based on my experience with it in the last couple of weeks.

The BIG question - Why?

I have been enjoying every ride with my KTM Duke 390 - However, I was missing the super-sport fun.

There is an absolute dearth of VFM super-sport category bike in ~600cc range in India. The available ones are:

1. Hyosung GT650R - If you have followed my earlier threads, you might know that I also had a Hyosung GT650N. It is a pretty good ride, but the refinement is totally lacking. One can feel the vibes at higher revvs and it is something that I have become more sensitive of late, and I totally detest. But, this the GT-R is a good looking machine. Priced around 6.5 OTR (IIRC), it is good value too. But, the fact that GT650N is IDENTICAL in all ways (including the suspension, and engine) and that I don't like the coarseness of the engine, did this away
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-2013hyosunggt650r1.jpg

2. Triumph Daytona 675R - There is absolutely NOTHING to dislike in this bike, except that it was priced beyond my budget. This is quite pricey at approx 14L INR in Bangalore. I could have extended my budget and got this, but honestly, I don't feel like spending that kind of money on a 675 cc bike. I was initially hoping that this bike would be priced about 10L INR, and I would have stretched it by a lakh or bit more. But, the pricing turned out to be such a dampener that I decided not to consider this. If I get lucky, I might go ahead and upgrade to a liter class in a couple of years by paying more.

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-2013triumphdaytona675r08.jpg

3. Ninja 650 (and now the ER6n)
This is a smooth bike, but more of a tourer. I have experienced this in GT650N, and hence I don't yearn much for the Ninja 650 or ER-6n. But, these are very good bikes, by themselves and just that they don't suit my requirement. Again priced around 6.5L OTR
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-2013kawasakininja650a7_600x0w.jpg

Since the bigger super-sports (i.e. 600cc )were ruled out, I decided to check out Ninja 300.

4. Ninja 300 - This bike is no super sport (Even Kawasaki doesn't give the prestigious 'R' monicker to this) - I fell in love with this bike from the time I saw this. The inline twin producing 39 BHP and a high revving engine. It is overpriced a bit, but still this is the best bang for the buck for someone looking for a sports bike experience in India.

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-2013kawasakininja300finallyrecalledforstallingissues_1.jpg

This was the time the rumors of KTM RC390 getting launched was getting louder - I have the Duke 390 and I know that the bike is uber fun. I decided to wait for the launch and then make the decision. Will the supersport version be 'that' interesting?

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-2014ktmrc39007.jpg

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 23:30.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 18:56   #2
BHPian

KTM RC 390 - Spec Power!

KTM RC390 was finally launched in India on Sep 9th. I was floored by the specs. Let us quickly go over the specs and compare it with other bikes in the same price-range:

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-screen-shot-20141118-6.52.08-pm.png

It is very clear from the numbers and the long feature list, KTM RC 390 wins the comparison on paper.

On a decisive day, I went to KTM Mekhri Circle Showroom (where I had picked up my Duke 390) and requested a back to back test ride with RC390 and N300. There was delay in approval of test ride bike for RC390 because of RTO formalities. After a short test ride, I found RC390 to be much more peppier (in lower revvs), lighter, and a more committed riding position and way cheaper than Ninja 300.

Even on paper, RC390 produces more power, more torque, has a much higher power to weight ratio, Standard ABS, Metzeler tires, track focussed inverted forks in the front (same as that of RC8), twin projector headlaps, LED DRLs in front, uber cool rear LED tail lamps / brake lamps, adjustable rear suspension (the list goes on)

This sealed the deal. I booked a RC390 and picked it up a couple of weeks ago.

My special thanks to the entire Mekhri Circle KTM team who have made my every visit there special and warm! They made the complete experience of buying RC390 a pleasure. Please keep it up!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 21:08.
Old 18th November 2014, 19:40   #3
BHPian

Comprehensive Review - Summary and Looks

Summary (Team BHP Style!)

What you'll like
1. Amazing engine - Pulls crazily at low revvs and a stellar mid-range
2. Styling - There is nothing else like it on road! Twin projector headlamps, LED tail lamps, exposed orange trellis frame, large 390 stickers, orange everywhere
3. Brakes - With ABS. Has a great feel and good stopping power
4. Looks like a single seater bike, but it is not (more on this later)
5. Super sticky Metzeler (Sportec M5) tires
6. No heat like Duke 390
7. Extremely comfortable for taller riders (unlike Duke 390)

What you won't
1. Coarse engine - Refinement levels not even close to that of N300 or CBR250R (or even more acclaimed, Inazuma)
2. Super hard seat - Do not underestimate how hard is it
3. Terrible build quality - The battery compartment in front of fuel tank, the visors, rear view mirrors are all of terrible quality
4. Rattles and Vibrations - I identified multiple sources of rattles (number plate mount, rear view mirrors, MID console mount, windscreen etc.) - Some of them have been fixed, some of them are yet to be!
5. Near useless RVMs

KTM RC390

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7557.jpg

KTM RC390 is a bike, along with its cousin Duke 390 that will revolutionize the way we experience powerful bikes, at prices that are truly VFM. One quick look at the spec comparison in previous entry would indicate, how much Bajaj and KTM have added into the bike at this price point.

Looks
Looks are subjective, but most people would agree that this is a good looking bike. It is no Ninja 300 beater in this department which looks like a bike born to look good, but this is no ugly duckling.

The bike though it looks big from a distance, appears very thin once you sit on it esp because the fuel tank IS thin. There are notes of plastic all over. The Fuel tank houses the battery in the front.

I am not sure how much it is safe for the rider to keep a highly flammable material like petrol and a spark producing item like battery tightly in-between their legs while riding, but you should definitely forget this fact if you want to have fun.

The looks are characterized by a few key design elements

1. The exposed orange trellis frame
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7556.jpg

Also note the adjustable rear mono-shock
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7566.jpg

2. Mean looking headlamp assembly with DRL - The LEDs are very bright at night and as DRLs should be, they have good visibility in the day

With LEDs off
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7561.jpg

With LEDs on
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7560.jpg

3. Fairing with KTM written BIG
KTM Logo is prominent! (Once in black, once in orange and many times over in gray in the background!)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7557.JPG
Views:	8466
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	1310139

So is the 390 and RC (Race Competition) - Also note the exhaust beautifully integrated into the chassis (One auto rickshaw driver caught up in a signal and asked why the bike doesn't have an exhaust! It is that cleanly integrated)

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7558.jpg

4. LED Rear Lamps
These are bright - The one in center is on when lights are on, and the side ones light up when brakes are applied - Too bad that the rider won't get to enjoy them in action!

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7562.jpg

Other elements:
1. Fat Rear tire (150 mm)
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7564.jpg

2. Very useful MID console - Display average speed of your last ride, FE, DTE (Distance to Empty), Distance to Service, Engine Temperature Gauge, Fuel Levels - Everything short of that day's horoscope prediction for you.

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7567.jpg

3. Terribly useless rearview mirrors
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7568.jpg

4. Cool indicators in front (integrated with rearview mirror assembly) [Picked this pic from internet]
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-indicator.jpg

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 21:10.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 19:57   #4
BHPian

KTM RC 390 - Engine, Chassis, FE and Brakes

The Engine

The (literal and figurative) heart of the RC 390 is gem of its engine. It is a 373.2 cc single cylinder that produces 43 BHP of power and 35 Nm peak torque.

All these numbers matter nothing - Once you sit on the bike and let open the throttle, the bike literally pulls like there is no tomorrow.

A 0-60 is achieved in around 2.4 seconds, and 0 - 100 in sub 5 seconds. No numbers on paper can actually translate on how mad the bike is. The engine is happy to be revved (you can trust me on this - I have ridden bikes that hate to be revved)

The joy of hitting the rev limiter, upshifting till you find that you have run out of road will plaster a stupid grin in your face every time you ride. I would have loved to have an analog odometer hitting the redline instead of a red light blinking whenever we hit the limits of a 'digital' odometer. (Ninja's instrument cluster shines in this regard, even though it is not a mini Wikipedia like the KTM's)

Gearshifts are precise and are super slick. The clutch is hard for anyone who is upgrading. One a positive note, this is a good workout for your fore-arm muscles.

Engine Heat
One of the most often discussed topic when I picked up the Duke 390 was the engine heat. I am glad to say that there is NO heat at all in this bike. It is perfectly ok to ride this bike in traffic without worrying to have tandoor'ed legs at the end of the ride. There is a fan which is an attention seeker - It runs loud but does a good job of pushing the heat to the bottom

Chassis
Techies would say that the rake has been increased and hence reducing wheelbase a bit, and increasing the GC a bit to improve cornering. Leave the technology to the engineers. This bike has a taut chassis and is supremely flickable. You'll see yourself attacking corners with glee - A combination of power, Metzelers and the glorious chassis.

Fuel Efficiency - The Ultimate KDH (Kitna Deti Hai) Question
The bike returns about 23 kmpl now (before first service). With a 10L fuel tank, you have a range about 180 kms (with a budget for riding hard). This is actually terrible for touring

Brakes
The brakes (both front and rear being disc) are brilliant and confidence inspiring. You can also ride at peace that you have ABS to prevent unwanted locking. There is ample stopping power.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 21:13.
Old 18th November 2014, 20:11   #5
BHPian

KTM RC 390 - The not so good points

It would be unfair to the potential buyers if I don't say what's bad about the bike (in my opinion)

Build Quality is a big let down. After owning Yamaha R15, Karizma (2004) and to a certain extent even CBR250R, I feel that the RC390 doesn't do great in build quality. When a person pays a hard earned 2.5L (OTR Bangalore) for a bike, it is pretty reasonable to expect a bike that has a great build.
  • I don't think this is a bike built to last - The plastic in front of the fuel tank housing the battery looks real cheap.
  • After riding the bike over the weekend after purchase, I took the bike directly to showroom and asked why there was so much rattles! The sources of rattles are the mount for number plate, the mount for the RVM stalks, the windshield and the mount for the instrument console. The RVMs also produce a noise. Apparently, this has been a source of concern, and the dealers have sent some noise making parts back to Pune for more investigation. I still get some annoying rattling noises at some speed / rev combination
  • One of the owners had a leaky pipe from fuel tank, and he apparently created a lot of ruckus (understandably so, after paying so much for a bike!) - KTM has to be very careful with its reputation. Tatas are still suffering with their reputation even after they've started making good cars like Aria, Zest because of niggles they had in earlier cars. Once a brand name is tarnished, it is very difficult to build the reputation back.
  • Vibrations - You can feel vibrations even at lower speeds in your handle bar, foot pegs, your rear (on the hard hard hard seat). In high speeds, due to thrills, we might not notice

I wish Bajaj/KTM even take 20K-30K more but give a bike that we can be proud of. Ninja 300 absolutely is smashing in this aspect. I wish Kawasaki had given Ninja ABS and priced it a little lower - I would have had tough time picking RC!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 21:15.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 20:38   #6
BHPian

Other Notes

1. The pillion seat is good - Even better than that of Duke (softer, bigger). However, it has a very low frictional coefficient - This means that the rear of pillion rider will not always stay with the seat. The pillion needs to holds to you tightly always if he/she doesn't want to slide away from the bike (during acceleration) or crush you towards the front (during braking). The perspective might change based on who's sitting as the pillion - But, for all practical purposes, it is a single seater

2. The mid-range is fantastic. The redline is at 10.5K RPM - This is pretty good, unless you compare to the 13K redline of Ninja 300. The advantage of RC390 is that you can accelerate from anywhere in the rev-range at any gears. You are never found wanting for power. However, since this is unlike other track focussed bikes which give most of the power in the top of the rev-range, I don't know how experienced track riders will feel in the track with this bike

3. Engine gets smoother over time - The engine is initially terrible coarse. It does get refined as time passes. However, do not expect Honda / Kawasaki / Suzuki / Yamaha levels of refinement EVER. I have the Duke - It has become smoother now, and I really hope the RC becomes refined with time too.

4. Lights (The twin projector lamps) are very good - Much much better than Dukes. There are three settings- One position to switch DRLs ON, and another to turn on the lights - The normal lighting turns on one of the projectors, and in high beam, both the lamps are on. Pretty cool! (and functional)

5. I'll say it again - Metzelers are good. Try pushing yourself over the corners more than you have done earlier and you'll be surprised. (If you are not surprised, and you fall down, don't hold me for what I said)

6. Corners AND straight lines are fun - However, since the bike is light, you will feel the crosswinds shaking up the bike at higher speeds on a highway- I am quite heavy and make up for it. I don't know how bad it will be for a rider with a light frame

7. Bike is very light - A big relief for me since I sold my mammoth-heavy GT650N and got this. Early onset of heart-attack has been prevented because of RC390 (for me)

8. The main seat is H A R D. Prepare mentally for this.

9. The riding position is extremely committed. If you have a big belly, please reduce. (Note to self) - Again, if this is your only bike, you can't go in this one to pick your groceries.

10. A new rider will put all his/her weight on the wrist and will experience acute wrist pain. However, fear not. With practice you can definitely overcome this. This happened with my R15 too. Within a week, one can find their comfortable position

11. A lot of space to adjust - In Dukes, there is just one riding position, esp for the taller riders. In this even taller ones can adjust, move and really enjoy the rides

12. Remember to look up (esp because of the riding position!)

13. 6th Gear is TALL - You'll find yourself manically shifting till 5th gear, and once you hit 6th it is calm after the war. 6th is ideal for cruising (but why? ) - So, avoid the 6th gear and keep the pot boiling. 6th gear is where you'll find Satori* (when you don't want to find it). The sudden change in behavior once you hit the 6th gear is very evident

Summary

RC390 is a fantastic bike - It offers fantastic performance at a very affordable price. It is not without flaws. If you can look through the flaws, you'll absolutely enjoy the experience.

All said, nothing (in this price) comes close to plastering a stupid grin on your face like RC390 - Your weekends will be an absolute blast with the RC390.

That said, if I go back in time, will I pick it up? I am not sure - I already have the Duke 390, and I would probably pick up the N300 because of its build quality, refinement, twin cylinders and high-revving nature, bigger fuel tank (and hence range). Because, I am no Rossi. I am planning to hit the tracks more often with RC390 - Nov 28th in Chennai (Orange Track Day) and also plan to go to Kari Race Track (Apex Racing Academy) in December. However, shaving a second or even 10 seconds from a lap time is not my primary objective. I just want to have fun - While KTM RC 390 offers a lot of it, given my priorities, I'd have probably done well to pick up a green N300. (Since I already have a mad mad Duke 390)

I hope I may change my mind in near future as I spend more time with it

If I find time, I'll do a proper N300 vs RC390 and a Duke 390 vs RC390 (both in my garage) comparo in near future.

(*) Satori is a Japanese Zen term for temporary realization of Zen (or Self as Hindus call it) - The realization is only temporary, but great truths can be glimpsed at this stage. In short, avoid it

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 18th November 2014 at 23:24.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th November 2014, 21:01   #7
BHPian

Some pics from my recent ride

I am still running-in - So my I don't travel far on highways. But I took a not so short - not so long trip to CCD in Kolar (or thereabouts)

Some pics from the ride:
Attached Thumbnails
My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7663.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7666.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7667.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7668.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7669.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-img_7670.jpg  

My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience-led-during-dat.jpg  

sriramv.iyer is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 15:49   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My KTM RC 390 - Review and Ownership Experience

Note from Mod : Thread moved from Assembly Line to Motorbikes section. Thanks for sharing
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
RC390 is a fantastic bike - It offers fantastic performance at a very affordable price. It is not without flaws. If you can look through the flaws, you'll absolutely enjoy the experience.
Excellent choice sriramv.iyer, the KTM Duke RC 390 ticks all the right boxes with its features and specifications. I have ridden the KTM Duke 390 for a few kilometers and that is one hell of a bike. The KTM Duke RC 390 even betters it and reminds me of the character called "Predator". Like predator it is super advanced and has that menacing look. Congrats on your purchase and looking forward to more of your experiences.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:24   #10
BHPian

Great write up Sriram! Congratulations on your RC, and I hope you have many miles of fun on her!
Silverflash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Congrats Sriram! The RC looks fantastic from every angle.
Interesting choice that - to have both the Duke390 and the RC in your garage! Will the Duke stay for long I wonder?
Let's ride sometime once you run in your RC.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:33   #12
BHPian

Many Congratulations Sriram! Wish you miles of happy riding!

As you correctly said there is famine of VFM 600CC bikes in India. I hope things will change when Honda starts manufacturing their powerful bikes locally.

I currently have CBR250 and want to upgrade to a proper 600CC machine. But alas! I shall WAIT!
StepUP! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 16:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Other Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
Try pushing yourself over the corners more than you have done earlier and you'll be surprised. (If you are not surprised, and you fall down, don't hold me for what I said)

Congrats Sriram! Loved your writeup man. Always love to read seat-of-the-pants (with adequate friction) accounts with ample doses of humor inserted.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 18:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Excellent choice sriramv.iyer, the KTM Duke RC 390 ticks all the right boxes with its features and specifications. I have ridden the KTM Duke 390 for a few kilometers and that is one hell of a bike. The KTM Duke RC 390 even betters it and reminds me of the character called "Predator". Like predator it is super advanced and has that menacing look. Congrats on your purchase and looking forward to more of your experiences.
Navin, I like the Predator name - It sounds pretty apt! I don't name my bikes, but if I did, it would be this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflash View Post
Great write up Sriram! Congratulations on your RC, and I hope you have many miles of fun on her!
Thanks @Silverflash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Congrats Sriram! The RC looks fantastic from every angle.
Interesting choice that - to have both the Duke390 and the RC in your garage! Will the Duke stay for long I wonder?
Let's ride sometime once you run in your RC.
I was remembering our ride when I did my trip to Kolar CCD - We should do it again. I am 300 kms off run-in. We should do it post that. Also, I have a dilemma of keeping Duke 390 or not [Replace it with a even more powerful naked? ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Many Congratulations Sriram! Wish you miles of happy riding!

As you correctly said there is famine of VFM 600CC bikes in India. I hope things will change when Honda starts manufacturing their powerful bikes locally.

I currently have CBR250 and want to upgrade to a proper 600CC machine. But alas! I shall WAIT!
Thanks @StepUP! CBR250R is a wonderful machine. I really miss the creamy smoothness of the Honda (I had one for almost 2 years)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Congrats Sriram! Loved your writeup man. Always love to read seat-of-the-pants (with adequate friction) accounts with ample doses of humor inserted.
Thanks Doc! Life is generally funny, and I have fun seeing it that way. Glad you liked the review
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2014, 21:54   #15
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for your honest/unbiased write-up.

IMO, there needs to be a proper 400RR by a major two wheeler manufacturer, preferably Japanese with ASC's evenly spread out.

Something which has a crazy top-end. I don't think, with traffic situation (as it is) in India, I need more out of a bike. Tracks are different.

Wishing you happy, safe & most importantly reliable/niggle free happy kilometers. Have fun.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks