Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 11:09   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
The mechanic mentioned that we should always use gear oil 80w90, I keep hearing this from most mechanics
Even my local mechanic told me that engine oil and gear oil are two very different lubricants. He showed me that gear oil is denser than engine oil and serves a different purpose so I went by his advice and poured in Motul 80w90. There's no perceptible difference in the drive but gear oil isn't expensive either (around Rs. 300/litre) so it's worth a try.

Quote:
I'm not sure if the local petrol bunk or mechanics will accept them for disposal?
Friendly ones will accept.

Last edited by self_driven : 7th September 2020 at 11:11.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 16:03   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I changed the engine oil of our Honda Aviator to Bharat Petroleum special MAK 4T Scootech NXT this weekend. Our city Bharat Petroleum pump, Roshan Auto was giving it at MRP 334/- and without any labour charges.

Haven't tested the fuel economy yet and will post it once checked.
I serviced the Aviator at V J Honda, Kalyan on 3rd Oct 2020. Told them to check the oil and SA replied it is good and can run another 1000 km. Since I changed it last in July 2019, decided to go for another change again at Roshan Auto after the service. Even if I didn't change the oil, V J Honda SA did their usual practice of giving me engine decarbonization (I deserve carbon credits ), silencer coating and few other extras. I complained to their customer care when I got the feedback call.

This time I got fully synthetic oil for Rs. 300 only. Scootech NXT was not available so went for a different one. The oil change guy seemed to be technically aware and told me to go for synthetic rather than semi synthetic, so that next oil change is needed only after 4000 kms.

And the main part now. Since July 2019, I always got the fuel economy better than previous oil. At least 5+ kms on average for every litre, less trips to the petrol pump. Engine feels ultra smooth. Oil sourced from Honda service centre never gave this feeling.
turbodude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2021, 18:00   #108
BHPian

Got my brake fluid flushed and the front disc pads changed at the Honda service centre (Rs 621 including sanitation charge of Rs 30).
Parts: 267 + Labour:354 + Tax:112

Bought their recommended oil, air filter and inner air filter for
Oil: 285 (MB 10W30 800ml) + sponge:30 + paper filter:195
Got it changed locally for Rs 100 plus Rs 30 drain plug (damaged)
Approx Rs 640
Total service cost - 1250 approx

How does it feel? Brakes have been adjusted and levers feel harder, filled petrol to autostop, rode it a bit, but not much difference. So I guess, it is a high class haircut!

One thing the service guy (moonlighting at the local shop from the Bajaj service centre next door to the "local mechanic" told me is that the genuine filters have a thin film of oil pre-applied both to the sponge and the paper filter! I recall that the aftermarket (Minda) filters and the oil (1 litre instead of 800 ml) cost me a few rupees more than those from Honda.
mvadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2021, 23:24   #109
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick updates:
-Replaced Engine oil (HP Racer Skutex 10W30) at the nearby HP COCO
-Odo milestone - recently reached the 16k Km mark
-Scooter is trouble free and doing quite well so far
-Looks like traffic police in Bangalore are out on a harassment drive with respect to number plates (usually bring this up if they find all other papers in order), so I may just go for embossed number plates soon. Posted about this here (Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation)
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 18:18   #110
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a new set of Embossed Number plates for the Aviator. Wanted it quickly and also online dealers were asking for copy of the Registration certificate which I wasn't comfortable sharing, so got them from a local dealer. These were the simplest in terms of styling, but they do have the "IND" and hologram which they said comes by default. I asked them for plain black lettering (usually comes with the diagonal lettering of "INDIA" all over the black which I did not want).

Paid Rs.500, a bit steep compared to online prices but I wanted them quickly and got them in about 4 hours from the time of ordering.
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-scooter-embossed-plates.jpg

Last edited by NPV : 22nd August 2021 at 18:20.
NPV is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2021, 19:11   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Paid Rs.500, a bit steep compared to online prices but I wanted them quickly and got them in about 4 hours from the time of ordering.
Attachment 2196831
The Movell ones ship from KL so I had to wait 4 days for them. Quality was pretty good though the blue fades over time (far more than my official HSRPs)

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd August 2021 at 19:14.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:08   #112
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Quality was pretty good though the blue fades over time (far more than my official HSRPs)
When you say official HSRP I'm assuming it's for a newer car you bought recently in Bangalore. So, how does it work ? Dealer initiates HSRP application/procurement via RTO and then a vendor delivers it ?

Last edited by NPV : 23rd August 2021 at 09:09.
Old 23rd August 2021, 09:40   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When you say official HSRP I'm assuming it's for a newer car you bought recently in Bangalore. So, how does it work ? Dealer initiates HSRP application/procurement via RTO and then a vendor delivers it ?
Completely done by the dealer RTO team who is supposed to fix both the HSRP with the one-time use screws + the blue sticker ideally before delivery (i.e. not handed physically to the buyer) and retain a picture of it affixed to the vehicle in their records to submit to the RTO.

But in reality, the HSRPs come after a week or so, and the dealer requests the owner to return with the vehicle for the 10 minute job. Due to June 2020 Unlock 1.0, my HSRPs came after 2 months!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:57   #114
BHPian

Got my 2008 Aviator's CVT belt and clutch shoes /springs + Clutch U-something (rubber gasket type things) replaced at a FNG. Seemed a capable garage.

Parts cost 1165/-
Labor Rs 600/-

Entire feel of the scooter has changed, hopefully I will get better mileage now. (was 20 to 25 kmpl approx)
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-20220516_111442.jpg  

Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-20220516_111318.jpg  

mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 19:55   #115
BHPian

Didn't get better mileage even after the belt change (nor should it be expected, according to the experts) so finally got the carburetor serviced. Nothing much, disassembly, cleaning and reassembly. Actually the system was clean. I suspect it was the loose hose joints (air and also air-fuel intake manifold area) due to some previous shoddy servicing job.
Valve clearance also adjusted.

Hope this fixes my 25 kmpl bad mileage.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-aviator-carburetor-2.png  

Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-aviator-carburetor-1.png  

Last edited by mvadg : 29th June 2022 at 19:58.
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 09:06   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Hope this fixes my 25 kmpl bad mileage.
Hi, I hope you still have your Aviator, I have one from 2009, and it's giving me issues related to age, and I am looking at a cool 15k expense if I have to restore her to former glory (with additional bits like a repaint, some modifications like using the new tachometer and LED headlight from the newer versions)

This I am comparing with the cost of going for a new scooter and for the usage, I don't see the point in going for a new scooter at this point in time - I might jump directly on an EV when the time comes.

Planning to restore her after the rains.
ManasN95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 23:53   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
Hi, I hope you still have your Aviator, I have one from 2009, and it's giving me issues related to age...Planning to restore her after the rains.
Hey! I too am a proud owner of Honda Aviator 2009 (Orange Colour). Was recently stuck with a new scooter bug. I tried all 125 cc options in the market and narrowed it down to Access 125 and Fascino. Ntorq is low on mileage, Burgman handlebar isn't suitable for all and Activa 125 is the worst Honda product I've seen in a really long time. But then came the cost, approx. 1.15 lakhs on-road which made me think, my Aviator isn't that bad afterall!

Got a major service done at my trusted neighbourhood garage. Changed both rims (Front @ Rs. 1200, Rear @ Rs. 800) and most importantly, switched to new tyres : Michelin Pilot Street 2 (both front and rear @ Rs. 3000/-)

Oh boy! It has been such a happy journey since then. Nearly 6000/- spent and my scooter feels brand new.
TheVDR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 13:13   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVDR View Post
Hey! I too am a proud owner of Honda Aviator 2009 (Orange Colour)...

...Oh boy! It has been such a happy journey since then. Nearly 6000/- spent and my scooter feels brand new.
Good maintenance and repairs make a big difference. And these Japanese scooters are really well made. Deliberately incompetent repairs by authorized & unauthorized mechanics really make them junk.

My scooter is running a lot better after some much needed healing from a good mechanic.
Old 17th October 2023, 08:19   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManasN95 View Post
I have one from 2009, and it's giving me issues related to age, and I am looking at a cool 15k expense if I have to restore her to former glory (with additional bits like a repaint, some modifications like using the new tachometer and LED headlight from the newer versions)

I might jump directly on an EV when the time comes.

Planning to restore her after the rains.
After much contemplating, we had booked a Chetak a week ago, but then we again sat down and discussed, the roads where I live are in a horrible condition, there is no way even an EV would give the full required range with such conditions, and the cost of acquiring meant we have again fixated on restoring the Aviator for much less than the down payment for the Chetak, and the EMI were equaling the petrol costs anyway so it all came down to the difference between the restoration costs and the down payment.

Restoration of the Aviator it is.

I am planning for a proper one, overhaul of everything critical - she should run like new.
I will be also repainting her, browsing for some good eye pleasing colors and other aesthetic modifications like the LED headlight, tachometer from the newer model etc. on the last priority.

Fitness certificate due next year as well.
Old 22nd April 2024, 06:54   #120
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Long time since I updated this thread..

1. In May 2023, a regular "mini service" with engine + transmission oil replacement, greasing and adjustment of the brakes

2. HSRP - In Dec 2023, I ordered for the new plates online and got them fixed at the same dealership where I'd bought the scooter back in 2015. They ended up swapping the front and back plates and when I pointed it out, they swapped them back and the plates have 4 rivets each now!

3. Horn - In Jan 2024, the horn went limp. Took it to the mechanic at Splash Kaggadasapura and he found that connectivity and continuity was fine, switch was good too. He then adjusted the tuning screw at the back of the horn and it came back to life!
A friend who owns an Aviator for many years and whose recommendation led to my evaluation and eventual purchase says that the horn issues are recurring in his scooter as well but usually related to the connectivity

4. Choke Cable - sometime in Feb 2024, the choke lever stopped working - it wouldn't budge!
The mechanic at Splash Kaggadasapura (now my regular go to mechanic for the scooter) told me the cable needs to be replaced and he was unable to source it.

5. April 2024 - After almost a month and a half, found the time to get the Choke cable replacement done. I bought the part from City Honda in Ramamurthy Nagar and had it replaced by the mechanic at Splash.
Part Details:
Part Name: CABLE COMP, CHOKE
Part Number: 17950-KWP-F00
Price: Rs.115
Labour charge for removing old cable and fixing new cable: Rs.150

The Choke Cable
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-aviator-choke-cable.jpg

Seat assembly removed to access and replace the Choke cable
Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)-choke-cable-fixing.jpg

6. April 2024 - Along with the choke cable replacement, I also had the engine + transmission oil replaced. Motul 10W30, JASO MB this time.

7. Odo is nearing the 20k Km mark now and nearing the 10 year mark

Overall, the scooter works like a charm, returning 45-50Kmpl FE every time. I usually get the scooter refuelled at the same HP COCO petrol pump.

Last edited by NPV : 22nd April 2024 at 06:58.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks