Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2016, 13:53   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Abhishek, did they try changing the Lock-set & see if the issue is resolved?
For me, personally, keeping the switch gear clean and WD40 is helping. For others in the R3 group I belong to facing the problem, every possible thing has been changed including ECU. For few it helped, for few it didn't. For few, turning the key a bit less or more helped. And none of this is hear say and I can easily connect to the owners My question is simple, if its surely the lock set, replace for all. Why keep waiting for incidents to happen. Cause even Yamaha is not sure what's causing this and what's the solution. This is so unlike the Yamaha I know. Till then few of us either tap while few kiss to thank the bike for not breaking this time So much for a premium bike. I am still holding on to the bike strong, spending on it, waiting for either Yamaha or someone to come up with a proper solution.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2016, 14:52   #137
BHPian

Re: Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
For me, personally, keeping the switch gear clean and WD40 is helping.
Can you please elaborate if you just spray the wd-40 on the switchgear? Any potential to cause harm or damage?
Old 24th November 2016, 15:03   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Can you please elaborate if you just spray the wd-40 on the switchgear? Any potential to cause harm or damage?
Whenever I take it for servicing, I ensure the kill switch console is opened and cleaned well and WD40 is sprayed on the connectors. No harm till now. Could it in the future? Really not sure. Its helping for now.
Old 24th November 2016, 16:32   #139
BHPian

Until now I believed (based on what I read on the 'web') most Japanese vehicles have zero issues and thus most reliable. I always questioned my decision to buy a Royal Enfield vehicle for the second time knowing these vehicles need constant maintenance and not reliable. But the fascination (or fun factor) was too much to shove aside. Now I have changed my mind. May be it depends on the model of vehicle and not just brand or country of manufacture. For now, despite the small irritants I am happy with my two year back decision. It is a devil for sure, but known devil and predictable for the most part. No surprises.

This thread has been very good. Several things to learn from.
Old 24th November 2016, 19:15   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkovuri View Post
Until now I believed (based on what I read on the 'web') most Japanese vehicles have zero issues and thus most reliable. I always questioned my decision to buy a Royal Enfield vehicle for the second time knowing these vehicles need constant maintenance and not reliable. But the fascination (or fun factor) was too much to shove aside. Now I have changed my mind. May be it depends on the model of vehicle and not just brand or country of manufacture. For now, despite the small irritants I am happy with my two year back decision. It is a devil for sure, but known devil and predictable for the most part. No surprises.

This thread has been very good. Several things to learn from.

At the risk of going off topic, since I can't yet use PM, could you please tell me which RE bike you have? If you have an ownership thread I would love to read it. Japanese bikes are absolutely reliable. No doubt about that. Any new vehicle in the market is plagued by niggles that get ironed out slowly. Which is why this behaviour from Yamaha is bothering us so much. They are generally more responsible and forthcoming.

@abhisheksircar You are right. For a bike that goes at a premium like the R3, it is saddening to see Yamaha not do anything about it.
Old 28th November 2016, 16:49   #141
BHPian

Madhav,

I have a RE Bullet 1962 model. And I bought a Continental GT two years back additionally. Not exactly an ownership review but I have one thread in the forum that might interest you at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...nental-gt.html

Also you can review my personal blog post at https://mallik.blog/2014/06/15/hmm-t...-vs-rationale/ wherein I gave my brief test ride experience before I bought Continental GT. There are few more blog posts at https://mallik.blog on my travels with Continental GT which may be of interest to you as they let you understand what kind of roads I was able to do the rides (one particular one is https://mallik.blog/2016/03/20/an-ad...-worthy-of-it/ ).
mkovuri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 10:54   #142
BHPian

Very interesting thread @abhisheksircar. I've rated it a full 5stars.

A quick question, coming from riding a CBR250R (Non ABS) extensively, would you recommend this as an upgrade, Considering the low maintenance costs and the extra 16 horses ? I am more of a tourer and commuter. Have never visited the track yet.

The price of the R3 falls in the bracket of a good used Ninja 650 which is what I am currently considering. But your thread had made me ponder a lot now.
I already see a couple of R3's available in Bangalore's used bike market.
Tempting & Confusing.

Cheers,
Coplay
Coplay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2016, 20:12   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post

The price of the R3 falls in the bracket of a good used Ninja 650 which is what I am currently considering. But your thread had made me ponder a lot now.
Tempting & Confusing.

Cheers,
Coplay
Bro maintenance of N650 will be atleast more than twice then R3 and hence I would think R3 is a better option. but reading the issues that people have with their R3, I will wait until next year and how it plays with Bajaj and Kawasaki.
Old 7th December 2016, 10:35   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Bro maintenance of N650 will be atleast more than twice then R3 and hence I would think R3 is a better option. but reading the issues that people have with their R3, I will wait until next year and how it plays with Bajaj and Kawasaki.
I totally understand that the maintenance costs of Kawasaki is going to be way higher than the R3, but you know that itch right. The desire for more power, more torque. I have toured a lot on the N650 and at highway cruising speeds, the things a slight twist of the throttle can do. Boy Oh Boy !!!

I understand from the members here that the issues are mainly the Error 19 and bad tyres and occasional switch gear niggles.
Old 7th December 2016, 14:17   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coplay View Post
Very interesting thread @abhisheksircar. I've rated it a full 5stars.

A quick question, coming from riding a CBR250R (Non ABS) extensively, would you recommend this as an upgrade, Considering the low maintenance costs and the extra 16 horses ? I am more of a tourer and commuter. Have never visited the track yet.

Tempting & Confusing.

Cheers,
Coplay
The Yamaha R3 definitely qualifies for a worthy upgrade from the CBR250 considering the extra horse powers. It's an absolute fun bike. Touring is a breeze in this bike. That said, to add to your confusion, the two trivial yet lethal issues stops me from recommending this bike to anyone till it's sorted as it can have very unpleasant consequences and that's the reason you have started seeing them in the second hand market.

1. Tyres : This was a cheap move by Yamaha to keep cost low and risk the riders. Very unlike the Yamaha I relate to but someone on the top thought, what the hell, give them crap, whoever realizes will anyway change it. That said, it can be easily rectified by changing it to many good options available in the market. It's an absolute must.

2. Error 19 : This is my major cause of concern and this needs to be fixed before I can ever recommend the R3 to anyone. I cannot fathom the idea of Yamaha taking so long to realize that it's irritating to get all geared for a ride just to realize that the bike does not start, or you are on a corner relying on the power of the bike to end up with no power in mid corner, or you are overtaking on a highway as a tourer and suddenly your bike just cuts off. This unfortunately, as of now does not have a sound fix although lots of experiments are on with owners of the bike. Till this is fixed, I would hold myself back from recommending this otherwise beauty.

If you are okay to live with these issues, like many of us are, wishing everyday they come back safe from the ride without the bike giving up, this bike is an absolute charm to own

650 is a proven bike but as already mentioned, it's not twice but the spares are thrice the cost. You will not miss much of the 650 in the 320 as the usable power is very much available in the 320 with better feel factor.

I know I added to more to the confusion but had it not been for the Error 19, I would have hands down recommended you the R3. Hope this gets resolved soon and then is no further confusion.
abhisheksircar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2016, 14:36   #146
BHPian

Quote:
The Yamaha R3 definitely qualifies for a worthy upgrade from the CBR250 considering the extra horse powers. It's an absolute fun bike. Touring is a breeze in this bike. That said, to add to your confusion, the two trivial yet lethal issues stops me from recommending this bike to anyone till it's sorted as it can have very unpleasant consequences and that's the reason you have started seeing them in the second hand market.

2. Error 19 : This is my major cause of concern and this needs to be fixed before I can ever recommend the R3 to anyone. I cannot fathom the idea of Yamaha taking so long to realize that it's irritating to get all geared for a ride just to realize that the bike does not start, or you are on a corner relying on the power of the bike to end up with no power in mid corner, or you are overtaking on a highway as a tourer and suddenly your bike just cuts off. This unfortunately, as of now does not have a sound fix although lots of experiments are on with owners of the bike. Till this is fixed, I would hold myself back from recommending this otherwise beauty.

If you are okay to live with these issues, like many of us are, wishing everyday they come back safe from the ride without the bike giving up, this bike is an absolute charm to own
Thanks for that buddy. I am in no hurry to replace the CBR for now. I will wait till the BMW 310 Adventure is out and then make a decision. Hopefully, the Error 19 issue is sorted out by then. Regarding the tyres, we CBR owners always upgrade to Michelin Pilot Sport Radials as immediately as possible and the R3 will also see the same.
I understand the pain you guys must be going through every time on a ride. Praying that nothing happens en route. So much uncertainty.

But still thanks for the thread and it changed my opinions a lot. Especially the fact that maintenance costs are way cheaper than Kawasaki's. What's the point in buying a very expensive bike and not being able to afford maintaining it. Makes little or no sense to me.

Last edited by Coplay : 7th December 2016 at 14:37.
Coplay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 08:51   #147
Senior - BHPian

I am yet to ride this and hence cant comment on that aspect. This does look cool to my eyes. Shot during a ride with us.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha YZF-R3 : Detailed Ownership Review-psx_20161211_090020.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2016, 10:10   #148
BHPian

Any news on when the R3 ABS is launching?
Old 16th December 2016, 10:59   #149
BHPian

A live demo of the bike not starting. Imagine the same while you are riding and the power just cuts off. This is shared by a member of the R3OG - India group member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I am yet to ride this and hence cant comment on that aspect. This does look cool to my eyes. Shot during a ride with us.
No doubt a beauty to look at and easily one of the best 300 ccs in the market as of date if the few trivial yet lethal issues can be ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farhadtarapore View Post
Any news on when the R3 ABS is launching?
Nothing yet.
Old 16th December 2016, 11:15   #150
BHPian

Quote:
A live demo of the bike not starting. Imagine the same while you are riding and the power just cuts off.
Hey this is exact same issue that was happening wih my thunderbird 500 also. I too recorded a video and showed it to the service center folks since when I took it there, they couldn't reproduce the issue.

It still crops up sometimes but luckily it doesn't cut off when I'm riding. Unacceptable in a 4 lakh rupee bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks